• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I haven't spent much time with the beta but will get some play time this weekend with the final edition.

One of the Kickstarter pledges I certainly do not regret, hoping the game at least sells well and reflect the quality of this effort.

Wozzer

How are there still PC games without borderless windowed mode as a setting toggle :(.

It's 1am so I've only dipped my toes in enough to setup ready for the morning. Glad reviews are coming back mostly well recieved.

Corpekata

Banned
Why the hell everone review the ps4 verion when it's obvious the pc version is the main one. It really hurts the game metascore

I mean, the site is clearly oriented more toward console gamers so why wouldn't they? There's going to be a market for people wanting to know what a specific version is like. That's like expecting RPS or PC gamer to review the PS4 version of Batman Arkham Knight instead of the issues ridden PC version.

Sarek

Small tip. Doing same thing again in this game does sometimes field different results.

Why the hell everone review the ps4 verion when it's obvious the pc version is the main one. It really hurts the game metascore

Hope Techland gave inXile a really good deal to make the consol versions because looks like that decision will tank the Metacritic score.

Corpekata

Banned
How are there still PC games without borderless windowed mode as a setting toggle :(.

It's 1am so I've only dipped my toes in enough to setup ready for the morning. Glad reviews are coming back mostly well recieved.

It's a Unity game. It should default to that.

Actually one of the more annoying aspects of the engine, no dedicated full screen modes.

RPS review basically laid most of my fears to rest. Hype is rising steady and fast.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/02/28/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/
...even some of its most seemingly irrelevant fetch quests and favours containing ties to the bigger picture. In some cases this means more insight into how this place works and who your character may or may not be; in others there are moving or harrowing unexpected consequences that only reveal themselves in the long-term.

It is those consequences, more so than the central story (or, more specifically, it is those consequeces’ ties to the central story) that achieve the most emotional clout. Take your time here. Explore everything. Do nothing thoughtlessly. Know that your actions will be rewarded, or punished as the case may be, and anticipate that more than you do the conclusion per se. When the final act arrives, it does so somewhat abruptly and introduced by an oddly weak twist – my chief disappointment with the storytelling.
Let us talk, finally, of writing and of presentation. It is a well-written game, yes – often, the quality of the words, the play of their language, the ludicrously careful interplay of their themes, filled me with both awe and envy. Other times, it all seemed flabby, too caught up in showing off ideas and colour to find the truth of its message and the heart of its characters. While once I believed that there was no greater accomplishment for a game than to contain a novel’s worth of words, these days I respect the editor’s knife almost more than I do the writer’s pen. I would prefer Numenera shorter rather than longer.

Nonetheless, this is a triumphant achievement in (near)mainstream games writing, and of taking fantasy themes and transforming them into the meaningfully human rather than the merely mythic. A little more small-c conservatism would have been a boon, and it takes a little too long to reach its focus, but when it does it puts most everything else in the shade.

B_Signal

that's what they sent. We were asked which we'd like, we said we'd prefer PC but could do PS4. I think most people would prefer to play a game like Torment on pc, it's a pc game.

Shengar

Surprised to hear that the console ports are marred with technical issues. I had no issues with the pc version at all, except I guess that you don't really have many settings to work with.

I reviewed for RPGsite. I loved the writing and characters but disliked the combat. Luckily the game is not combat focused and gives you plenty of tools to avoid it.

Also it's a little short. I got to max level ( so I did all of the quests I could find) and it took me about 25 hours.

If the game is replayable, then 25 hours and less for subsequent playthrough sounds perfect.

Massicot

If the game is replayable, then 25 hours and less for subsequent playthrough sounds perfect.

It is replayable for sure. But maybe not to the same effect as something like Tyranny. One notch down from that which seems explicitly designed to be replayed and had a similar length. You could definitely pick a different type and have a different set of experiences.

vocab

EDIT: On the technical side (PC version) everything has been smooth sailing so far. I've learned from the other Obsidian tech games to disable G-Sync ahead of time and I was getting 90 - 144 fps at all times. Conversely both Pillars and Tyranny would often run in the 30 - 50 range.
Well, thats good to hear.

Wozzer

I started a save at work, got home looking to continue where I left off and no such save? It says Steam Cloud in the store description, is it right that there's no cloud saves?

That'd be tragic for a lengthy RPG of this nature to not have that functionality, especially for me since I machine hop so frequently, if that's the case. Fingers crossed I'm missing something.

aravuus

Fuck

d5e8670866.png

I want to play it lmao

Lime

Glad to hear it's reviewing well, at least on the PC side of things.

By the way, pictures of the collector's box for backers:

27kcv.jpg

Moobabe

Let us talk, finally, of writing and of presentation. It is a well-written game, yes – often, the quality of the words, the play of their language, the ludicrously careful interplay of their themes, filled me with both awe and envy. Other times, it all seemed flabby, too caught up in showing off ideas and colour to find the truth of its message and the heart of its characters. While once I believed that there was no greater accomplishment for a game than to contain a novel’s worth of words, these days I respect the editor’s knife almost more than I do the writer’s pen. I would prefer Numenera shorter rather than longer.

That RPS quote is both good and bad for me. Pillars suffered in this regard too; whoever is writing these games feels the need to cram so much bloat in there that I think it makes the overall product suffer.

Still, good to see that it's being well reviewed on the whole. Excited to pick this up tonight.

Organon

Neo Member
When I try to switch resolutions, the game crashes with an error. Good start!

Edit: Oh, even better. It also crashes when trying to start a game. "Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution".

Edit^2: Disabling RTSS helped.

Bl@de

Can you play the PC version with the PS4/Xbox interface and controls? Would love to play the game on my couch :)

Holy shit, you can (A cool easter egg relating to PST, but don't read if you don't wanna be spoiled)
find O, the "manifestation of a Word" from PST in one of the early game locations, and he also gives you some pretty good permanent upgrades to your character if you speak to him correctly.
So cool. Wonder what other easter eggs they've crammed in.

Are you even serious? Fuck me this goes down as one of the most ignorant posts Ive ever read on GAF.

I do wonder how the sales on PS4 and PC will compare given that Horizon, Nioh and Nier are all coming out at the same time.

Should have at least delayed the console version for better optimization it seems.

Glad to hear it's reviewing well, at least on the PC side of things.

By the way, pictures of the collector's box for backers:

27kcv.jpg

Oooooh, which one is that? I backed at Oddity level so i'm hoping to find a package waiting for me at some point over the next few days but i have no idea how large it will be.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Prepare for the most important interview of my life or play Torment, prepare for the most important.... aw fuck it. Maybe I get the hard questions and need to be prepared. "Say, applicant. What can change the nature of a man?"

Kiyoshi

Has anyone read the novellas? Are they any good if not recommended readings before jumping in?

Yeah, I've read them all and enjoyed them. They're not spectacular as stories/pieces of writing in their own right; but they work really well for world building. I feel like I know a lot more about some of the areas (that may or may not show up in the game). Even early on in the game there have been references to things (Iron Wind, for example) that I already know about from the novellas so they mean more when they're mentioned.

Coreda

So there are 3 versions on GOG, what are the differences? Can't find it explained in store page (infographic hadn't loaded correctly) or the OP. Probably been asked already.

Edit: looks like it's basically just wallpapers, soundtrack and a strat guide for the same price as the base game. I think I'll pass.

Freeman76

I do wonder how the sales on PS4 and PC will compare given that Horizon, Nioh and Nier are all coming out at the same time.

Should have at least delayed the console version for better optimization it seems.

Yeah definitely seems like they should have held the PS4 version back until it was performing better.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anyone have any idea when the physical copy ships out?

For some reason on the backer portal the address shows an incomplete even thought it appears my address info is all inputted correctly. Checked through emails and it says that the last time to put in address was the 27th of January so i dont know what to think now.. i hope im not sol of getting my physical copy now.. bah.

Mivey

i5 2,6ghz and 920m here, 17-24 fps, fuck.
How much RAM? Since the GC could be the limiting factor here, I would guess that is a critical factor here. Not like rendering the 2D backgrounds is a strenuous task. Feels perfect for me with 16 GB.

How much RAM? Since the GC could be the limiting factor here, I would guess that is a critical factor here. Not like rendering the 2D backgrounds is a strenuous task. Feels perfect for me with 16 GB.

My laptop specs are are 840m i5 2.6ghz and 8gb ddr3 and at 1080p this game runs like absolute shit for me. At 1366x768 its acceptable at 30-50 fps.

I'm probably not gonna dive into this until after I finish my re-attempt of PoE. I did play through the little tutorial twice(the first time it locked up...), and am intrigued so far. I just know that if I put PoE down again, I will never come back to it. Maybe there will be a few patches by then.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
tumblr_mbhsx2bxMQ1ror6v2.gif

What about me?

You don't exist and neither do I. I apparently don't have a copy of this arriving today with Horizon. Divinity Original Sin wasn't one of my favorite games in 2015 on the PS4 because I couldn't play it, since I don't exist. I'd have DOSII as one of my most anticipated game releases of this year, but again, I don't exist. I don't even know how I'm posting this

AHA-Lambda

Surprised to hear that the console ports are marred with technical issues. I had no issues with the pc version at all, except I guess that you don't really have many settings to work with.

I reviewed for RPGsite. I loved the writing and characters but disliked the combat. Luckily the game is not combat focused and gives you plenty of tools to avoid it.

Also it's a little short. I got to max level ( so I did all of the quests I could find) and it took me about 25 hours.

What's the proportion of side content to the main quest line like in that 25 hours?

Bento

So has anyone played the PS4 version with day 1 patch installed? Would love to know if that improved the performance somewhat. Also, better on PS4 Pro?

Grym

Just woke up to see all the very impressive reviews that came in. I wasn't expecting the positivity to be honest. Hype!

Torment is updated for me on Steam...now....off I go to work :'(

:'(

EDIT: Looks like they are updating the website (currently a mess... at least for me) to put up rewards...ringtones, digital soundtrack, art, Colin plays Planescape, etc.

Top Bottom