• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

sflufan

Banned
I keep going back and forth as to whether I should play this now or wait until the inevitable "Director's Cut" is released (as was done for Wasteland 2)?

Raytow

Woot! The latest beta saves still work.

That is 15 hours I was afraid would go down the crapper.

Not a bug? I tried my beta save and Erritis is unmovable no matter what I do, he does teleport with me in screen changes, still seems I might get hosed in a crisis if he is left behind.

Justinian

Not a bug? I tried my beta save and Erritis is unmovable no matter what I do, he does teleport with me in screen changes, still seems I might get hosed in a crisis if he is left behind.

That's a bug that happens regardless. It was brought up in beta but never fixed.

jtb

Banned
I'd recommend everyone here who is familiar with OG Torment to read the Rock Paper Shotgun "review" of the game. The author clearly has a deep love for the original and his review really touches on the relationship with this new game and the old. Points out some criticisms while also heaping on quite a lot of praise. Made me much more excited to play it tonight.

Link?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I went through character creation and explored the first room before I had to get back to work

Guys I think this game is maybe going to be pretty good

RS4-

Only played a few mins, game does support 21:9. Well so far at least. I don't know if there are any cut scenes or whatever that have black bars on the sides.

Thanks!

Edit: That review kinda confirms what I was expecting all along. "Reverse engineered Torment." Sigh. The perils of crowd-funding, I suppose.

Just don't give me bugs, and I'll be satisfied.
You make it sound like they described that as a major flaw
Sometimes this does robe Numenera in a certain scent of artificiality, where by contrast Planescape felt organic, this shiny new mind unexpectedly breaking through the confines of the roleplaying game structures of the time. Only a little, though. Though once in a while there’s a slight clunk as it blatantly reaches to hit expected beats, in the main Numenera is exactly the game it needed to be.

jtb

Banned
I know, which is why I was never as high on this game as I was on, say, Pillars.

Imo, the things that make Torment great aren't items to be checked off a list, but a singular, cohesive creative vision. The piecemeal approach, if anything, runs counter to that in every single way.

You make it sound like they described that as a major flaw

I'm speaking about my personal relationship with Torment. Like any good review (which we sadly don't get a lot of in gaming), one person can read it and understand that they'd enjoy the game, while another can read it and see red flags that they're skeptical about.

Okay how do I fix this cripping problem of the text scroll gradually slowing down until it literally takes minutes for a paragraph to fully load. Of all the performance problems for a game to have, the fact that the text in a narrative RPG is unplayably slow is effectively a dealbreaker for me.

Okay how do I fix this cripping problem of the text scroll gradually slowing down until it literally takes minutes for a paragraph to fully load. Of all the performance problems for a game to have, the fact that the text in a narrative RPG is unplayably slow is effectively a dealbreaker for me.

I'm wondering about this too. It crops up in the first conversation with your two companions. It was doing this in the final beta too.

Jamaro85

This is the game I finally built a new PC for and here I am in the middle of my first Pillars playthrough. I feel like I owe it to this game to put that on hold but hate to do that in any RPG. What to do, what to do.

Sarek

Steam topsellers list is acting weird for me. If I look at the main page I don't Torment anywhere on the list, but if I click see more it shows as the number 1 title?

Anno

Steam topsellers list is acting weird for me. If I look at the main page I don't Torment anywhere on the list, but if I click see more it shows as the number 1 title?

Do you already own the game? Lists on the front page exclude games in your library now.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'd recommend everyone here who is familiar with OG Torment to read the Rock Paper Shotgun "review" of the game. The author clearly has a deep love for the original and his review really touches on the relationship with this new game and the old. Points out some criticisms while also heaping on quite a lot of praise. Made me much more excited to play it tonight.

Are there spoilers for OG Torment? I've yet to finish it.

Looks like the PS4 version digital wise isn't coming out today. I mean the store is pretty much updated.

Defo saw it on PSN EU.

aravuus

This must be one of the sleekest and good looking UI I've ever seen in a CRPG. Reading in CRPG usually a mixed experience between fascination and dull at the same time. With the improved and sleek UI however, staring at the screen occupies you more than just reading the shown text.

Huh, and I thought the exact opposite after I had to play the first couple of minutes of the game lol. I thought it was ugly as fuck from the very first moment I saw the main menu, and I kind of hate the half-a-second delay between choosing a reply and actually seeing new text.

It's a non-issue, though, so I'm not gonna whine about it more than that.

Truant

Running great on PC, and plays pretty well with my X1 Elite controller. Not perfect, but fine for such a slow paced game.

For some weird reason I can't save the game. I get "Can't save invalid save file" or something. Quicksave works fine, thankfully.

bati

I don't know what it is about the writing in this game but it's like I'm actually watching images instead of text, holy fucking shit \o/. Maybe it's because everything is so alien that I'm forced to read the text carefully, plus it prevents me from jumping to conclusions because it's so unlike other more typical rpg settings so I'm more in tune with the moment, so to speak. The whole thing is just a lot easier to swallow than the lore dumps in Pillars or Tyranny.

brian!

Huh, and I thought the exact opposite after I had to play the first couple of minutes of the game lol. I thought it was ugly as fuck from the very first moment I saw the main menu, and I kind of hate the half-a-second delay between choosing a reply and actually seeing new text.

It's a non-issue, though, so I'm not gonna whine about it more than that.

Ive read it described as having a "winamp skin" aesthetic, which feels pretty on the nose, but personally that has been a slight plus to me so far, really brings me back haha

Well I'm loving this after my first evening of play. Just barely managed to locate the companion written by Patrick Rothfuss by the time I had to shut the game off, so I'm looking forward to playing it again. Too bad I'm probably going to put this on hold while I play Horizon Zero Dawn tomorrow.

I'm (for the most part) keeping myself from reloading if I fail at a skill test in this game. The devs have said that they've tried to make failure interesting, so I'm taking them at their word. Lots of ways to solve many of the sidequests so far, some obvious and some not obvious at all. It's also refreshing to play a game where any dialogue option with a skill check you're good at isn't automatically the best thing to pick. In the last conversation I did before turning the game off, a simple Persuade check would have led to the death of an innocent person had I succeeded, but I almost clicked the option out of reflex from years of RPG conditioning. It's good to have a game shake things up.

After three hours, I think the game is fantastic. I went with Intelligent Jack, and I'm finding Amanuensis to be a HUGE perk. I'm getting so many details and extra info with it. For those who want to go in depth, seems invaluable. And no combat so far!

After three hours, I think the game is fantastic. I went with Intelligent Jack, and I'm finding Amanuensis to be a HUGE perk. I'm getting so many details and extra info with it. For those who want to go in depth, seems invaluable. And no combat so far!
Does it open up new dialogue choices?

I went with a Nano with Read Thoughts, and was disappointed that it didn't seem to give you additional choices related to people's thoughts. Although Steam discussion said it does, but they aren't labeled as a Read Thought check/option, so not 100% sure

I went with an Intelligent Nano Who Brandishes a Silver Tongue.

I went with a Nano with Read Thoughts, and was disappointed that it didn't seem to give you additional choices related to people's thoughts. Although Steam discussion said it does, but they aren't labeled as a Read Thought check/option, so not 100% sure

There are dialogue options you only get through Read Thoughts (I just managed to resolve a Crisis thanks to it), but they aren't common and can be somewhat subtle, with dramatic exceptions. Its greatest use is in learning more about the characters you encounter, particularly whether or not they are trustworthy.

aravuus

Ive read it described as having a "winamp skin" aesthetic, which feels pretty on the nose, but personally that has been a slight plus to me so far, really brings me back haha

Winamp skin aesthetic is perfect lmao

No wonder I did feel a weird tinge of nostalgia when I saw it

bati

This is perfect, lol.

I'm playing a Clever Jack and put points into Perception, Persuasion and Deception. I hope I can avoid combat all the way to the end of the game.

It has brought up at a few, maybe more, but they're not labeled as such so I really can't be sure. For instance on the City Council Clerk:
I had a vision that I actually created and birthed him! I could tell him he was created by me, but then he rejected that notion. I don't know if this really effected anything or if it's possible to be more than flavor text.

Top Bottom