• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera |OT| What Can Change The Nature of a Man?

If there anyway to view your tide alignment in more detail? Or are the numbers hidden from view? You just get the dominant one or two.

kionedrik

Played 3h and the Torment 'feel' is palpable.

This game offers more role-playing in the first hour than most modern RPGs during their whole campaign. Even a random act like talking to a child in the marked leads to some amazing conversations and lore exposition.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So has anyone played the PS4 version with day 1 patch installed? Would love to know if that improved the performance somewhat. Also, better on PS4 Pro?
Boost mode helped in other Unity games, but it won't clear up any glitches.

Gothos

That RPS quote is both good and bad for me. Pillars suffered in this regard too; whoever is writing these games feels the need to cram so much bloat in there that I think it makes the overall product suffer.

Still, good to see that it's being well reviewed on the whole. Excited to pick this up tonight.

It has some bloat but imho it's simply better written than Pillars. Also, it helps that Torment is ~ 25 hours while Pillars is twice that so there is less reading fatigue :)

The day one patch has zero effect on performance problems.

Tbh it's just all round a bad port. The UI isn't really built for a pad, exploring and talking or checking or picking things up is cumbersome and slow, there's a couple of seconds delay to every action taken.

It's a good thing people are playing this for the text.

mindatlarge

So has anyone played the PS4 version with day 1 patch installed? Would love to know if that improved the performance somewhat. Also, better on PS4 Pro?
From what I have read on the official forums for the game, the day one patch for consoles does not fix a lot of the performance issues. Sounds like the best solution is to go with the PC version, if you can, or wait it out for a proper performance patch to be released for consoles.

Tovarisc

Was port forced on devs to do or did they volunteer through e.g. KickStarter milestone? Either way poor UI and performance work on port isn't okay.

Was port forced on devs to do or did they volunteer through e.g. KickStarter milestone? Either way poor UI and performance work on port isn't okay.

I assume Techland wanted a multi-platform release as it was not an original goal of the Kickstarter campaign.

Budi

While I'm ofcourse playing this on a PC myself. It's a real bummer that console versions seem to have so much problems, not a good look really. Unfortunate if that turns people off from these. I would love for games like this to get wider audience and more recognition beyond PC space.

I can't find info if the retail disc redeems on Steam or GOG so I went to our local store to find out myself. It comes with the Steam version. It is cheaper on our local store than the base game on Steam, and this one has a soundtrack CD, printed map, and some digital traveller's guide and an in-game item.

x9QTyk9.jpg

evilsin

I guess I'll check this out some time. I remember I played PS: T not so long ago and I was trying a intelligence/charm build. I ended up in a location where I was forced to fight for several storeys and the enemies freaking wreaked me. I was very sad.

Moff

I can't find info if the retail disc redeems on Steam or GOG so I went to our local store to find out myself. It comes with the Steam version. It is cheaper on our local store than the base game on Steam, and this one has a soundtrack CD, printed map, and some digital traveller's guide and an in-game item.
It's really a sad joke that the retail version is cheaper and comes with more content than the physical backer version.

dude

dude

It was Kickstarted as a PC exclusive, but it's very unlikely that the port was mandated on InXile - Considering TechLand is probably more in charge of distribution and such rather than a traditional publisher role. InXile also ported WL2 to consoles of their own volition.

Eusis

The target audience for this game does not play on consoles. I'm not even sure why there's a console version
For people like me that wanted Planescape Torment on consoles back in the late 90s but couldn't have that. Though I still got it on PC in one of those discount packages.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You don't exist and neither do I. I apparently don't have a copy of this arriving today with Horizon. Divinity Original Sin wasn't one of my favorite games in 2015 on the PS4 because I couldn't play it, since I don't exist. I'd have DOSII as one of my most anticipated game releases of this year, but again, I don't exist. I don't even know how I'm posting this

WHO SAID THAT?!

Menome

You don't exist and neither do I. I apparently don't have a copy of this arriving today with Horizon. Divinity Original Sin wasn't one of my favorite games in 2015 on the PS4 because I couldn't play it, since I don't exist. I'd have DOSII as one of my most anticipated game releases of this year, but again, I don't exist. I don't even know how I'm posting this

This means my friend's brother who played through Divinity: Original Sin on PS4 doesn't exist either, and that's a plus as he can be very irritating at times.

Lister

Banned
Glad to see the great review scores rolling in! Can't wait for tonight. Was going to wait to finish White MArch first, but I think I'll alternate between the two (well three, Total War just release Brettonia too!) games until I'm done with White March, which shoudl be soon.

Sucks for console gamers, once again, it looks liek a later port would have been a much smarter idea for InExile.

To be fair to the poster above, I also certainly don't think there's a significant audience for CRPG's on consoles (just take a look at the comments sections on preview coverage from mainstream sites - nothign but console gamers making fun of the game), but here's the key part - YET.

Just like with Japanese games on PC, a lot of people said the audience wasn't there - and maybe it wasn't, but that was never going to change until more Japanese games starting coming out on PC. Today we have PC making up more than half of the sales of some Japanese games (like Dark Souls).

Widening your audience is almost always good for both the developer and the consumer. It's just that this is not the way to do it.

Hopefully they fix it, and it gets more people into western style CRPG's, which is likely to get some of them into PC gaming (where the genre is chock full of titles), hopefully it'll get people to start asking for more narrative agency in other RPG's (instead of the on rails stuff 99% of AAA Action RPG's feature), , hopefully it will mena bigger budgets and better games, etc, etc. All good outcomes, IMHO.

brian!

Yo i just got to curst in planescape; should i finish planescape first or go straight to tton...like save the best for last?

Shengar

This must be one of the sleekest and good looking UI I've ever seen in a CRPG. Reading in CRPG usually a mixed experience between fascination and dull at the same time. With the improved and sleek UI however, staring at the screen occupies you more than just reading the shown text.

I'm reading it's less than half the length of the original Torment. That's not very good news, if true.
I just left the starting hub at 11 and a half hours and ended up in an area that wasn't announced as the second one so it seems like it won't be oddly short.

Been lazy and playing with a controller in bed and have found the interface pretty usable although one of the people in the Order of Truth breaks with the controller and forces a restart on pc lol

Conezays

Canceled my PS4 pre-order and installing now on Steam :D Sounds like they really pulled it off based on the reviews. Planescape: Torment is one of my favourite RPG's ever so I'm trying to temper my expectations but impressions seem pretty strong, barring the technical issues on console.

Looking forward to your long dissertation on if this holds up, Durante :p

Was raring to get home and start playing. As it turns out, Steam didn't even initiate the download... It downloads now. Sigh.

I guess I'll end up doing that lab report...

I just left the starting hub at 11 and a half hours and ended up in an area that wasn't announced as the second one so it seems like it won't be oddly short.

Reports say the game overall takes from 25 to 40 hours depending how much you linger and do sidetracks. Old Torment under similar premises took from 35 to 60 hours and the main quest of the new one seems half as long, if you don't do the rest.

The problem is this doesn't make ANY sense. They claimed the new Torment is above 1 million worlds. If you sat on a couch with just a book it would take around 100 hours to read that much. And that's time spent reading, not looking at inventory, loading areas or walking around and exploring.

The new Torment is supposed to be 1/4 longer in text than old Torment, yet is substantially shorter? It just doesn't make any sense unless a lot of that was cut for the final release.

Anno

Reports say the game overall takes from 25 to 40 hours depending how much you linger and do sidetracks. Old Torment under similar premises took from 35 to 60 hours and the main quest of the new one seems half as long, if you don't do the rest.

The problem is this doesn't make ANY sense. They claimed the new Torment is above 1 million worlds. If you sat on a couch with just a book it would take around 100 hours to read that much. And that's time spent reading, not looking at inventory, loading areas or walking around and exploring.

The new Torment is supposed to be 1/4 longer in text than old Torment, yet is substantially shorter? It just doesn't make any sense unless a lot of that was cut for the final release.

Is it meant for replayability? Like you just can't encounter a good portion of the text on any given playthrough? I haven't really followed development much.

Moff

Keep in mind this is a highly replayable game because of all the choices and games cost a lot more ressources than back then so 25-40h is absolutely fine.

Tyranny was a lot shorter, I finished it three times in a row and loved every minute.

Mivey

I would assume the dialogue trees, and most of your time will be spent reading, are wider in Numenera but shorter in height than in Planescape. Meaning, more variation, but an individual play-through is shorter.

Is it meant for replayability? Like you just can't encounter a good portion of the text on any given playthrough? I haven't really followed development much.

Yes, if you played a 1 million words game and read everything it would take you more than 200 hours.

I'm simply saying that the new Torment is supposed to be significantly longer than old one, in amount of content, but reports says it's quite a bit shorter in play time. And none of the reviews suggest it offer more branching paths, actually a few of them say stuff like companions feel less developed compared to the old games.

So where has all this content gone if the new game is actually SHORTER?

Companions, for instance. All of them seem interesting, at least to start. Your first interaction with each is overwhelming, flush with history and trivia and character quirks. But then they sort of...disappear.

And of the cast, she has probably the most satisfying narrative arc—but still, it's a fraction of the depth and long-term development you got from companions in Planescape

60 hours for Planescape Torment? No... that seems a tad on the long side for that game. Going back to it recently I was surprised how short the game actually was and I beat it in 25 hours while being pretty meticulous with side quests and reading everything, though this is as someone who has replayed the game half a dozen times. I'd say the 30-40 hour mark is pretty spot on as being of equal length and I assume the difference in script is that this new one actually has a bit more depth in its individual dialogue branches.

jtb

Banned
Word count is a terrible way to measure anything. I have no doubt the game was probably rushed, given everything we know about the development process.

that doesn't mean the game is bad. I have absolutely no problem with cutting bad content.

Sasie

The reviews were not kidding where they said the start could be a bit slow. I played an hour and while there was some interesting parts but my first impression is not that good. I struggled a bit to keep my interest going almost right away mostly due to the way the world is introduced. There needs to be some hook to catch the players interest at least and a complete blank state doesn't do it for me. Not sure how you can get around this with an amnesia character but "tell me about city/world/faction/what's going on/this area" is the worst part about text heavy RPGs and Torment seems to be taking it to a new level.

I also found the way they handle stat checks annoying. Honestly stat checks in dialogue is great when done right but I don't like how they turned it into a mini-game. On top of that the lesser stat checks also need to be fairly simple in my opinion. There shouldn't be much of a need for 3-4 lines of dialogue and a mini-game just to open up something that leads to a simple lootbox with a potion or something in it.

Just clicking on it and checking if you do/don't have the needed thing to operate the machine or unlock it would be much better at times. Save the actual explanations/dilogue thing for things that matter/the story, not random loot.

jtb

Banned
Shit those reviews are really good

eh. Reviewers generally review the hype, not the product. And most wouldn't know quality writing if it slapped them in the face. Need to play it to believe it.

Backers didn't fund a console port. so, no, you're not the primary audience.

(I love WRPGs on consoles. But i have yet to see a responsible explanation for the console ports with simultaneous release)

I have no doubt the game was probably rushed

From everything I've heard talking to and hearing from people who make games, every game ever made is rushed. Final Fantasy XV was rushed and it was in development for a something like a dozen years.

butman

Canceled my PS4 pre-order and installing now on Steam :D Sounds like they really pulled it off based on the reviews. Planescape: Torment is one of my favourite RPG's ever so I'm trying to temper my expectations but impressions seem pretty strong, barring the technical issues on console.

Looking forward to your long dissertation on if this holds up, Durante :p

Any problems with PS4 version? Is not as good as Divinity Original Sin port?

jtb

Banned
From everything I've heard talking to and hearing from people who make games, every game ever made is rushed. Final Fantasy XV was rushed and it was in development for a something like a dozen years.

That too. Though it's different when you're clearly on a shoestring, hard defined budget.

feature creep + limited funds is a DEADLY combination, and crowdfunding encourages it. practically demands it.

I'd recommend everyone here who is familiar with OG Torment to read the Rock Paper Shotgun "review" of the game. The author clearly has a deep love for the original and his review really touches on the relationship with this new game and the old. Points out some criticisms while also heaping on quite a lot of praise. Made me much more excited to play it tonight.

Conezays

Any problems with PS4 version? Is not as good as Divinity Original Sin port?

I haven't played the port personally, but multiple reviews have mentioned technical issues with the console versions. I also played Divinity on PC so I can't speak to the PS4 version.

bati

Does anyone else find the game a little painful to look at? Everything seems a little blurry, including text.

Top Bottom