• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Toronto photo of the day:

6851709229_f178c07376_b.jpg

StevieP

Banned
Thanks for bringing this episode to my attention. I knew that shit didn't work. I just needed something to show my wife so she won't waste anymore money on it.

The placebo effect is pretty good.

Speaking of CBC, the Fifth Estate is generally top notch stuff. It's not as good as the stuff BBC puts out, but I'm not sure why there is always a conservative war to shut it down. It has value.

mcrae

Thanks for bringing this episode to my attention. I knew that shit didn't work. I just needed something to show my wife so she won't waste anymore money on it.

cold FX in general? as in cold medicine in general? ive taken it, seems like it works. what did the show have to say about it?

cold FX in general? as in cold medicine in general? ive taken it, seems like it works. what did the show have to say about it?

Cold FX. It's just ginseng. It's not the same as other cold medicine because other cold medicines do not claim to cure a cold but just to mask the symptoms. Which they do.
The show said that the claim that it will shorten the life of a cold isn't true. The clinical study done showed very slight improvements to the number of colds you get but only if you take it every single day (not just when a cold is coming on like most people do). They said the average number of cold you can avoid is about 1 every 17 cold seasons.

Anyways, did anyone else enjoy their Monxday?

Monxday.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There is no evidence to the claims of immediate relief and reduced severity of cold/flu symptoms. It's also processed in a Chinese factory that barely meets Canadian standards and is considered "quite dirty" and a few years ago they released a batch that contained some bacteria and they didn't notify Health Canada before selling it to the public.

Rinoa

Cold FX and etc is BS. Be healthy.

Eat healthy, stay active and you hardly ever get sick naturally. Ever since going to the gym and only eating cooked normie food (fastfood/junk on rare basis) I've not gotten sick. The only time I get sick is due to auto/immune deficiencies I'll forever have to live with no matter what.

Beez

Banned
Cold FX and etc is BS. Be healthy.

Eat healthy, stay active and you hardly ever get sick naturally. Ever since going to the gym and only eating cooked normie food (fastfood/junk on rare basis) I've not gotten sick. The only time I get sick is due to auto/immune deficiencies I'll forever have to live with no matter what.

I dunno, I use it and my whole family and we never get colds anymore. *shrugs*

Fuzzy

I dunno, I use it and my whole family and we never get colds anymore. *shrugs*
At the end of the Marketplace piece the doctor says washing your hands yields a better result in not getting a cold than using Cold FX.

Zzoram

At the end of the Marketplace piece the doctor says washing your hands yields a better result in not getting a cold than using Cold FX.

It's true, and it's much more cost effective.

During the first bird flu scare, cold and regular flu rates dropped to less than half because people were so aggressively washing their hands in fear. Once that fear passed, cold and flu jumped back up to normal.

If people just washed their hands properly before touching food, before eating, and after going to the washroom, we would all be sick far less often.

It's true, and it's much more cost effective.

During the first bird flu scare, cold and regular flu rates dropped to less than half because people were so aggressively washing their hands in fear. Once that fear passed, cold and flu jumped back up to normal.

If people just washed their hands properly before touching food, before eating, and after going to the washroom, we would all be sick far less often.

It would also help if people didn't go into work at the peak of their damn cold. Every year my work has this slump around December where everyone rotates in and out from getting sick.

StevieP

Banned
It would also help if people didn't go into work at the peak of their damn cold. Every year my work has this slump around December where everyone rotates in and out from getting sick.

Some of us don't even get sick days any more. Or it's not an option.

Some organizations are so stretched thin that it it's amazing that they function. Being home sick sometimes just isn't an option.

scogoth

Yep, thats why I refuse to accept all these statistics against Cold-fx, that shit will heal me by the power of my mind.

I bet all of you hate homeopathy as well, sometimes you just have to believe.

I did homeopathy for respritory problems when I was younger, it was amazing at how ineffective it was. Wasted time and money and then went to see a real doctor.

I prefer to believe in science and what makes logical sense

I love when people say I'm close minded and I retort by calling them whackjobs and believing in weird things just for the sake of saying you are open minded does not make you open minded, it makes you dumb

Spl1nter

I did homeopathy for respritory problems when I was younger, it was amazing at how ineffective it was. Wasted time and money and then went to see a real doctor.

Drugs dont work equally or effectively for everyone.

I prefer to believe in science and what makes logical sense

I love when people say I'm close minded and I retort by calling them whackjobs and believing in weird things just for the sake of saying you are open minded does not make you open minded, it makes you dumb

image.php

Seems you are quite illogical.

I bet all of you hate homeopathy as well, sometimes you just have to believe.

A friend of mine goes to a nutritionist that claims to permanently cure allergies by using some weird machine and some crystals. What any of that has to do with nutrition, I'll never know.

Anyways, she better not tell someone with a peanut allergy that or she may have an upcoming manslaughter charge.

I understand your "ignorance is bliss" line of thinking but examples like the one above make me think some of the claims are actually kinda dangerous instead of just ineffective.

Spl1nter

I understand your "ignorance is bliss" line of thinking but examples like the one above make me think some of the claims are actually kinda dangerous instead of just ineffective.

Just like how everyone is told to take Advil daily for x yet it can cause gastric bleeding along with other side effects. Not to mention the stats used to support taking it daily are a horrible representation of the data.

Zzoram

You're all being sarcastic when defending homeopathy right? Right? Or does GAF really have a defense force for everything?

Some of us don't even get sick days any more. Or it's not an option.

Some organizations are so stretched thin that it it's amazing that they function. Being home sick sometimes just isn't an option.

Well, that sucks for you, but no one at my work has a reason to come in. We get 10 sick days, all of our work is remote so we can work from home and we're encouraged to stay home so we don't get others sick.

And yet it happens again and again.

Spl1nter

That doesn't matter when talking about homeopathy because they don't use drugs, they prescribe distilled water.

Clearly you dont understand chemistry and how homeopathy alters the compound structure of water which results in its ability to have altering effects. Cant argue with science bro.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, that sucks for you, but no one at my work has a reason to come in. We get 10 sick days, all of our work is remote so we can work from home and we're encouraged to stay home so we don't get others sick.

And yet it happens again and again.

Maybe their home life is awful!

Just like how everyone is told to take Advil daily for x yet it can cause gastric bleeding along with other side effects. Not to mention the stats used to support taking it daily are a horrible representation of the data.

So we should believe any random unproven homeopathic thing just because some people are told to take Advil everyday when they shouldn't?
I'm not following your way of thinking here. So you are saying to do one wrong thing because the other thing is wrong as well?

Fuzzy

Clearly you dont understand chemistry and how homeopathy alters the compound structure of water which results in its ability to have altering effects. Cant argue with science bro.
Wait, you're trying to argue that homeopathy is science? Now I know you're trolling us.

Zzoram

That would depend on the frequency of people getting off the bus. Of course some bus drivers drive crazy fast, so it's a toss up. I say you walk!

It's a ~35 minute walk for me to Victory Cafe. That is fine during the day, but might be annoying at 11pm especially if it's cold. Bus or LR would save about 10-15 minutes if the weather sucks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That would depend on the frequency of people getting off the bus. Of course some bus drivers drive crazy fast, so it's a toss up. I say you walk!

Same with the streetcar. After Roncesvalles heading west, the streetcar goes faster than the traffic, like a rollercoaster. But east of Roncesvalles it slows to a crawl being stuck in the traffic. Really situational, but if you say they're even it comes down to how much each can carry.

Same with the streetcar. After Roncesvalles heading west, the streetcar goes faster than the traffic, like a rollercoaster. But east of Roncesvalles it slows to a crawl being stuck in the traffic. Really situational, but if you say they're even it comes down to how much each can carry.

This is true. We have to factor in whether it's a new bus, old bus or old accordion bus.

Seriously, I would just check the frequency of both Zzoram. Whichever comes closer to the time you'll be leaving, get on that. It'll more than likely be the same either way.

Top Bottom