• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why not instead of burying street cars, we bury cars? Pull a Big Dig, and bury the Gardiner. It completely cuts off the waterfront from the downtown. Property values on both sides would soar, tax revenues would increase.

Burying a transit line wouldn't really change the streetscape, but getting rid of a giant overhanging highway?

They were planning on doing that a few years back. I forget why they stopped.

Stet

Banned
Why not instead of burying street cars, we bury cars? Pull a Big Dig, and bury the Gardiner. It completely cuts off the waterfront from the downtown. Property values on both sides would soar, tax revenues would increase.

Burying a transit line wouldn't really change the streetscape, but getting rid of a giant overhanging highway?

I like the way you think.

Brinbe

They were planning on doing that a few years back. I forget why they stopped.
I remember that talk too. Ha, here's a CBC article from 06 on that issue.

Clock is ticking to tear down Gardiner: report
Last Updated: Thursday, September 28, 2006 | 8:07 AM ET CBC News

A report by Toronto's waterfront agency urges the city to tear down part of the Gardiner Expressway before it's too late.

After nearly two years under wraps, the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation report released on Wednesday details a number of options for the aging roadway.

To build a better city for the future, the report calls for the city to dismantle the 4½-kilometre stretch of the elevated expressway from the Don Valley Parkway to Spadina Avenue and expand Lake Shore Boulevard to 10 lanes.
That would cost more than $758 million.

And getting rid of a section of the Gardiner would lengthen average commuter times by only a few minutes, said John Campbell, the CEO and president of the corporation that wrote the report.

Development could limit options
But Campbell warns that time is running out and is urging the city to make a decision by spring.

The longer the city delays making a decision about the Gardiner, the more limited the city's options will be.

With the swath of condominiums popping up close to the Gardiner and land development happening so quickly, he believes that in a few years there may not be any physical room left to get rid of the Gardiner and build a widened Lake Shore Boulevard.

Campbell says the choice is simple: do you want a city that caters to the car or a city that caters to people and communities?

In return for scrapping part of the Gardiner, he says the people of Toronto would benefit from a boulevard lined with shops and parks and access to the lake in a spot that is now derelict land with an outdated, crumbling expressway above it.

Other variations

The report goes on to suggest variations of the favoured option of tearing the central part of the Gardiner down.

One addresses the entire stretch of waterfront by recommending that an underground roadway also be built west of Spadina at a cost of up to $1.15 billion.

A less expensive variation suggests a continuous eight-lane Lake Shore Boulevard stretching from Jameson Avenue to the Don River at a cost of $460 million.

But the report maintains that partially tearing down the Gardiner will significantly improve the quality of the area and is a less costly option than other variations.

Costs of other options

The other options outlined in the document include doing nothing, replacing the Gardiner or transforming the area by moving Lake Shore Boulevard.

The report estimates that simply leaving the Gardiner the way it is could cost $10-12 million in maintenance and repairs every year.

Replacing it with a four-lane underground road east of Front Street and an aboveground four-lane road along Lake Shore Boulevard between Jarvis and Cherry is another option. That would cost around $1.4 billion.

Another option recommends transforming the area by dismantling some of the expressway's ramps, then relocating Lake Shore Boulevard from underneath and encourage building below the Gardiner.

It would make the area more pedestrian friendly, the report says, and cost up to $515 million.

A major election issue

The report on the future of the controversial expressway had been kept under wraps for two years because city staff said financial details were not ready.

Under increased pressure to release the document before the upcoming municipal election on Nov. 13, city councillors voted Monday to make it public.

Mayor David Miller has expressed support for tearing down part of the Gardiner from Yonge Street to the Don Valley Parkway, but says there's no money to do that.

Mayoral candidate Jane Pitfield said she wants the expressway to stay intact and plans to make the Gardiner's future a major election issue.

Can't believe that's six years ago now. Gah, this city.

Spl1nter

The cost of burying the Gardiner along with crippling the city's road network would be a complete disaster. Better ideas involving enhancing or replacing the Gardiner to make it more of a floating highway. I did a project on this topic a couple years ago for a planning class.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/the_wider_waterfront/the_gardiner_expressway

An example of a possible enhancement would be to make it a double level structure, bottom level roadway and top level green park.

Stet

Banned
The cost of burying the Gardiner along with crippling the city's road network would be a complete disaster. Better ideas involving enhancing or replacing the Gardiner to make it more of a floating highway. I did a project on this topic a couple years ago for a planning class.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/explore_projects2/the_wider_waterfront/the_gardiner_expressway

An example of a possible enhancement would be to make it a double level structure, bottom level roadway and top level green park.

A sweet-ass park for deaf people.

I think when Boston buried their highway, it took something like 10 extra years and came in 8 billion dollars over budget. So now most other cities are afraid to try something similar.

Dr.Acula

Banned
added_time said:
I think when Boston buried their highway, it took something like 10 extra years and came in 8 billion dollars over budget. So now most other cities are afraid to try something similar.

A lot of the problems were related to tunnelling under rivers, under train tracks, and near subway tunnels.

Brinbe said:
With the swath of condominiums popping up close to the Gardiner and land development happening so quickly, he believes that in a few years there may not be any physical room left to get rid of the Gardiner and build a widened Lake Shore Boulevard.

That could be a big problem. But there were a lot of high-rises along the path of the big dig too. The other problem with the big dig was that the tunnel went through a lot of landfill. I'm not sure, but I think that would be a problem with Toronto too. Not sure where the water table is, but the Gardiner might be close enough to Lake Ontario for it to be a problem. Still, it seems like this project would be smaller and easier than Boston's in many ways.

Spl1nter said:
The cost of burying the Gardiner along with crippling the city's road network would be a complete disaster.

In Boston they built the tunnel underneath the highway first. They then opened the tunnels before they began demolishing the highway. Toronto could do that.

No doubt it'd be very expensive and a long time running.

An aside, we almost had a Boston situation with the Spadina crosstown expressway.

The other problem with the big dig was that the tunnel went through a lot of landfill.

Almost the entire modern Toronto waterfront is landfill as well.

This is from the Toronto waterfront wikipedia:

"The shore of Lake Ontario (at least within present-day Toronto Harbour) is mostly landfill, extending a kilometre or more from the natural shoreline."

Almost the entire modern Toronto waterfront is landfill as well.

This is from the Toronto waterfront wikipedia:

"The shore of Lake Ontario (at least within present-day Toronto Harbour) is mostly landfill, extending a kilometre or more from the natural shoreline."

How else would Lakeshore Boulevard have got its name?

Aa0o4.jpg

Toronto's old shoreline overlaid on its modern shoreline.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's a shame the downtown waterfront seems so cut off from the city, but it is pretty nice in the summer for those that take a walk along Queens Quay. Decent beaches on both ends of the city too (a bit cleaner in the Beaches than Sunnyside though).

Buffalo would die to have our waterfront. They've been trying to build one for 50 years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Remember when there was a ferry service from Toronto to Rochester and how that would make the waterfront somewhat busy because of tourists passing through? Good times.

Tiktaalik

Is there any sort of support for destroying the Gardiner Expressway and for not replacing it with anything? Not having a highway to downtown has worked very well for Vancouver. I recognize of course Vancouver never had a highway and Toronto would be going from having one to not and that's a very different situation.

It's a shame the downtown waterfront seems so cut off from the city, but it is pretty nice in the summer for those that take a walk along Queens Quay. Decent beaches on both ends of the city too (a bit cleaner in the Beaches than Sunnyside though).

Buffalo would die to have our waterfront. They've been trying to build one for 50 years.

Ya, the railway already cut off the waterfront from the city to an extent, but the Gardiner just finished the job.

Imagine if the Spadina Expressway had gone through, connecting to the Gardiner. It would have driven a stake right through the heart of Downtown and we'd have NO city.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is there any sort of support for destroying the Gardiner Expressway and for not replacing it with anything? Not having a highway to downtown has worked very well for Vancouver. I recognize of course Vancouver never had a highway and Toronto would be going from having one to not and that's a very different situation.

There's been talk of everything, including just removing it all together. But nothing will ever come of it, because no one will want to front the cost and wrath of the 'tax payers' enduring a decade, or more of non-stop construction.

Of course, the Gardiner is doing a good job of bringing itself down and eventually someone's hand might be forced if it cost as must to repair it as it does to bring it down.

Tiktaalik

There's been talk of everything, including just removing it all together. But nothing will ever come of it, because no one will want to front the cost and wrath of the 'tax payers' enduring a decade, or more of non-stop construction.

Of course, the Gardiner is doing a good job of bringing itself down and eventually someone's hand might be forced if it cost as must to repair it as it does to bring it down.

Yeah eventually you'll have the situation they are having in Montreal where the infrastructure is literally crumbling. It's sad to say that folks will only act when someone gets injured.

I'm a pretty strong proponent of simply removing these highway systems because of positive experience Vancouver had during the 2010 olympics when they severely limited road traffic. The city completely closed off major traffic arteries for security concerns, including the viaducts, the one highwaylike portion of road in Vancouver, constructed as part of an abandoned highway plan, and which is the major eastern artery into the city. The city recognized they would need to compensate and so they temporarily increased bus service in certain areas. In the end, despite all the major roads being either closed or having lanes closed off, no one noticed any difference.

Vancouver is now considering demolishing the viaducts.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah eventually you'll have the situation they are having in Montreal where the infrastructure is literally crumbling. It's sad to say that folks will only act when someone gets injured.

I'm a pretty strong proponent of simply removing these highway systems because of positive experience Vancouver had during the 2010 olympics when they severely limited road traffic. The city completely closed off major traffic arteries for security concerns, including the viaducts, the one highwaylike portion of road in Vancouver, constructed as part of an abandoned highway plan, and which is the major eastern artery into the city. The city recognized they would need to compensate and so they temporarily increased bus service in certain areas. In the end, despite all the major roads being either closed or having lanes closed off, no one noticed any difference.

Vancouver is now considering demolishing the viaducts.

I'd definitely be in favor of it, but it'd be a monstrous undertaking and I'd be curious as to where it leaves the DVP.

Not in favor of losing the viaducts / bridges in Toronto. Seems like a really NIMBY mindset saying 'stay on your side of the river'. I'm sure people in Vancouver have their own reasons, but not in Toronto, thanks. ;) I like to actually be able to get places and Toronto's viaducts are used mostly for inner-city travel and not bringing more traffic into the city like Vancouver.

Ya, the railway already cut off the waterfront from the city to an extent, but the Gardiner just finished the job.

Imagine if the Spadina Expressway had gone through, connecting to the Gardiner. It would have driven a stake right through the heart of Downtown and we'd have NO city.

I agree with you, but instead of continuing the x-way, they stopped the Allen at Eglinton and made a mess of midtown traffic there. I can't wait until the LRT dig goes through that stretch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mammoliti stepping out of the Executive Committee meeting because they're discussing the LRT and 'wants to avoid any lawsuits' that come from the LRT plan. wat lol

Source: a handful of people on twitter, so grain of salt, but seems like a Mammo move

Azih

As someone who lives in the burbs, am I the only one who finds the notion of removing a major road artery a horrific idea?

Talking about the Gardiner? Well the idea with the Gardiner is to replace it with something that doesn't create a huge barrier for pedestrians. Seriously there are a whole lot of interesting things in the area (stadium, CN tower, the ferry to the islands, the beachfront) but to get from some of them to the other you have to cross under this huge concrete monstrosity. A tunnel is seen as the best solution but horrendously expensive and would take a huge amount of time to build.

StevieP

Banned
Talking about the Gardiner? Well the idea with the Gardiner is to replace it with something that doesn't create a huge barrier for pedestrians. Seriously there are a whole lot of interesting things in the area (stadium, CN tower, the ferry to the islands, the beachfront) but to get from some of them to the other you have to cross under this huge concrete monstrosity. A tunnel is seen as the best solution but horrendously expensive and would take a huge amount of time to build.

Oh no, concrete!
Maybe I can agree that it doesn't exactly *look* nice, but it does function. There is already enough insane traffic downtown and removing yet another artery would worsen it quite a bit.

If someone wants to tear it down in favour of a replacement (such as a tunnel) they should have the forward thinking to build now. Doing a switchover would be the smart way to approach that, not tear one down and replace it 20 years later.

Azih

Oh no, concrete!
Maybe I can agree that it doesn't exactly *look* nice, but it does function. There is already enough insane traffic downtown and removing yet another artery would worsen it quite a bit.

If someone wants to tear it down in favour of a replacement (such as a tunnel) they should have the forward thinking to build now. Doing a switchover would be the smart way to approach that, not tear one down and replace it 20 years later.

Sure that is the best way to approach it but it's expensive and would require either the province or the feds to spend some money on Toronto or for Toronto to start adding charges like tolls and increasing taxes to pay for it themselves.

The biggest problem with this region is that for some reason it's become 'common sense' that investing in it is a bad idea and it's better to just let situations decay.

Toronto to start adding charges like tolls

This is the best way to approach it. People that cause traffic and tear up the roads in the city (but choose not to live here) should be penalized for it. That way, we could use the money raised to pay for new transit infrastructure.
If the people out of town don't like it then they have a few choices:

A) not come to Toronto (which eases traffic)
or
B) take Go Train etc
or
C) move to Toronto (which helps our tax revenues)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Forget the Gardiner. Fix the Public Transit. If the transit was better, less people would be forced to drive.

People coming in from outside the city though are mostly going to stick with the car. Yes, plenty of people do drive to stations like Kipling and what not, but there's no way to 'fix' the subway from Kipling if people are not taking it already and GO matters are outside of the city's control. It's a mindset change more than an actual change.

Azih

People coming in from outside the city though are mostly going to stick with the car. Yes, plenty of people do drive to Kipling and what not, but there's no way to 'fix' the subway from Kipling if people are not taking it already. It's a mindset change more than an actual change.

Subruban BRT or LRT connection to Kipling would help a lot and would cause the areas it passes through to get denser as well. The Go train is only for weekday rush hour.

Have you guys seen how absolutely huge the major arteries are in Mississauga? There's plenty of space for two lanes down the middle for some form or right of way transit.

Start with BRT, switch later on to LRT and then 50 or 60 years later if population continues to grow the place is ready for subway.

Hazel has converted to the transit religion (just as the last of the farmlands were paved over with townhomes oddly enough) it's too bad that the GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS has sapped Ontario of any money to spend. I'm pretty sure McGuinty wouldn't mind throwing transit cash at Mississauga.

Blitzzz

what the fuck is with all the passenger assistance alarms today.... people that push that thing should get their ass tossed out onto the platform to wait for the doctors

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A burb BRT or LRT connection to Kipling would help a lot and would cause the areas to get denser as well. The Go train is only for weekday rush hour.

Sure, but that's not a Toronto issue mostly (as has already been discussed, areas around Kipling and Islington don't have the density right now, and money is tight on LRT as it is). Mississauga has to actually move on their LRT ambitions eventually and I could see Toronto stepping up to help connect an LRT to a Hurontario rail.

Azih

Sure, but that's not a Toronto issue mostly (as has already been discussed, areas around Kipling and Islington don't have the density right now, and money is tight on LRT as it is).
Well this is something that has nothing to do with the TTC. It does have a lot to do with congestion in Toronto though :). The whole point of Metrolinx was to coordinate investment to reduce congestion on a region wide basis. It's been a complete failure so far though.

I'd imagine BRTs are pretty simple to put down though in these areas. All these areas aren't dense enough for even light rail right now and I'm assuming a bus right of way is a perfect fit.

I don't mind LRT down Hurontario. I don't think it's a bad thing for Mississauga to try to get an area of its own with the density of Yonge in Toronto. The denser and more urban the suburbs get the more attention gets paid to urban issues.

StevieP

Banned
I'm pretty sure McGuinty wouldn't mind throwing transit cash at Mississauga.

McGuinty has his hands full. He's about to cut 3 billion in health care. Fuck that noise. As someone who's grandmother has recently spent time in the hospital, they are already stretched beyond what they're meant to be.

People coming in from outside the city though are mostly going to stick with the car. Yes, plenty of people do drive to stations like Kipling and what not, but there's no way to 'fix' the subway from Kipling if people are not taking it already and GO matters are outside of the city's control. It's a mindset change more than an actual change.

It's not just about visiting the city, either. The Gardiner does serve as an artery to other places. Remove it, and you have a massive traffic nightmare moreso than it already is.

Divvy

I wonder how the new Mississauga Transitway is going to affect traffic between the two cities. It's always been weird to me that it goes up to the 401 instead of towards kipling.

Azih

The Gardiner does serve as an artery to other places.
I'm not disagreeing with you but since the Gardiner turns into the DVP and 404 I figured the 401 is the highway that connects the whole region together. Not the downtown Gardiner.

Azih

I wonder how the new Mississauga Transitway is going to affect traffic between the two cities. It's always been weird to me that it goes up to the 401 instead of towards kipling.

The north side of the region needs a lot more transit in the worst way possible though. If you're heading downtown then at least you have options. My wife used to work near Dixie and Eglinton in Mississauga and there is no good way at all to get to that place from the middle of North York even though the distance is pretty small.

Divvy

The north side of the region needs a lot more transit in the worst way possible though. If you're heading downtown then at least you have options. My wife used to work near Dixie and Eglinton in Mississauga and there is no good way at all to get to that place from the middle of North York even though the distance is pretty small.

Ah I guess so. The Go bus completely bypasses that area doesn't it?

cbox

This is the best way to approach it. People that cause traffic and tear up the roads in the city (but choose not to live here) should be penalized for it. That way, we could use the money raised to pay for new transit infrastructure.
If the people out of town don't like it then they have a few choices:

A) not come to Toronto (which eases traffic)
or
B) take Go Train etc
or
C) move to Toronto (which helps our tax revenues)

The money raised would pay to fix the roads, why should it pay for something those coming into the city won't use...? Technically those in the city should pay for better transit since they'll be using it 90% of the time... no?

The money raised would pay to fix the roads, why should it pay for something those coming into the city won't use...? Technically those in the city should pay for better transit since they'll be using it 90% of the time... no?

No because the people living outside of the city are avoiding paying taxes to the City of Toronto by living slightly outside the border but use the infrastructure every single day. They absolutely should be penalized for doing so.
This road toll shouldn't benefit them, it should benefit the people in the city.
(but yes it should still go to fixing the roads as well but not for the reason you said)

cbox

No because the people living outside of the city are avoiding paying taxes to the City of Toronto by living slightly outside the border but use the infrastructure every single day. They absolutely should be penalized for doing so.
This road toll shouldn't benefit them, it should benefit the people in the city.
(but yes it should still go to fixing the roads as well but not for the reason you said)

I'm curious to see how taxes are broken down in regards to federal, municipal and provincial, and what they pay for.

Top Bottom