• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Azih

He's taken a year and a half to get right back where he started, which I think is wonderful, just wonderful. Children, gather round and behold the awful price of idiocy! When you don't listen to others you waste time, are made to look like the village oaf, and eventually wind up using the old ideas you rejected in the first place.

Guess what Ford Nation! DAVID MILLER WAS RIGHT!

Blackhead

Redarse
Just because you "don't remember" things being as bad, doesn't mean they weren't. For one thing, I doubt as a kid growing up you paid as much attention to crime stories as an adult. For another, nostalgic rose-coloured glasses give you a distorted view of the past.

Third, it is an objective fact that crime is lower today in Toronto than it has been in decades.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Toronto

How old are you? The city's worst year for homicides was in 1991 with 89 murders, not too long after your idyllic 80s. In comparison, there were only 46 homicides in 2011, with obviously a higher population in the city.

Can we trust those stats?
Fan of The Wire

El Tigre

Hey Toronto Gaf, I'm actually from Mississauga but close enough haha

Anyway I have a story to share and want to know if this has happened to anyone else in Toronto or Sauga GAF. This happened yesterday on the 28th

My mom was at Costco in heartland today and when she was leaving to go to her car, a guy came up to her and was trying to sell her a home theater system. She didn't want to do it but the guy was extremely forceful in wanting her to buy it, it had the MRSP $2999.99 on the side, and he said he had two other people to sell too and wanted to get rid of them as fast as possible. He also showed her a website that looked legit and everything too. The guy wanted $300, my mom said she would buy it for $100 but the guy said he'd might as well throw it away. They settled on $200.

When I got home I googled the brand (Rolkolsen) and Obviously it was a scam, my mom said she was thinking of me and said she thought I'd really enjoy it..ugh. Today was her birthday too.. She can't really sleep cause she keeps thinking of it. We don't really have any extra money to throw around so it hurt a lot. I just wish I was with her so I could have just told the guy to fuck off quick and easy.

I guess you live and you learn. Have any of you guys run into people like this?

Yeah,it's a quite common scam.

Some jokers tried to sell me some speakers outside of the Futureshop at the Eglinton Town Centre. They started out asking for $500 for a pair of speakers and eventually it went down to $125. They got mad when I drove away.

ZZMitch

My friend got an extra ticket to the Leafs v Bruins game on March 6th! I am super excited, I never thought I would get a chance to see a hockey game here since I heard Maple Leaf tickets are really hard to get a reasonable price.

El Tigre

My friend got an extra ticket to the Leafs v Bruins game on March 6th! I am super excited, I never thought I would get a chance to see a hockey game here since I heard Maple Leaf tickets are really hard to get a reasonable price.

Consider selling the tickets. It's likely that Boston will crush the Leafs.

ZZMitch

Carry on then. Lol

I did make a $5 bet when I first came here in September that the Leafs would make the playoffs though, so maybe I am a little conflicted heh. I didn't know much about hockey and they had a 9-2 record at the time so it seemed like a sure win for me! Alas...

I did make a $5 bet when I first came here in September that the Leafs would make the playoffs though, so maybe I am a little conflicted heh. I didn't know much about hockey and they had a 9-2 record at the time so it seemed like a sure win for me! Alas...

The Leafs have a strong tradition (of getting fan's hopes up at the start of the year before collapsing and missing the playoffs like always!)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You don't want to miss the game where Ron Wilson will be fired between the second and third period.

Fugu

Hey Toronto Gaf, I'm actually from Mississauga but close enough haha

Anyway I have a story to share and want to know if this has happened to anyone else in Toronto or Sauga GAF. This happened yesterday on the 28th

My mom was at Costco in heartland today and when she was leaving to go to her car, a guy came up to her and was trying to sell her a home theater system. She didn't want to do it but the guy was extremely forceful in wanting her to buy it, it had the MRSP $2999.99 on the side, and he said he had two other people to sell too and wanted to get rid of them as fast as possible. He also showed her a website that looked legit and everything too. The guy wanted $300, my mom said she would buy it for $100 but the guy said he'd might as well throw it away. They settled on $200.

When I got home I googled the brand (Rolkolsen) and Obviously it was a scam, my mom said she was thinking of me and said she thought I'd really enjoy it..ugh. Today was her birthday too.. She can't really sleep cause she keeps thinking of it. We don't really have any extra money to throw around so it hurt a lot. I just wish I was with her so I could have just told the guy to fuck off quick and easy.

I guess you live and you learn. Have any of you guys run into people like this?
You know, I've been living around here my entire life and I've never seen the white van speaker scam in Toronto. That's a shame man, sorry that had to happen to you.

Rinoa

Just because you "don't remember" things being as bad, doesn't mean they weren't. For one thing, I doubt as a kid growing up you paid as much attention to crime stories as an adult. For another, nostalgic rose-coloured glasses give you a distorted view of the past.

Third, it is an objective fact that crime is lower today in Toronto than it has been in decades.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Toronto

How old are you? The city's worst year for homicides was in 1991 with 89 murders, not too long after your idyllic 80s. In comparison, there were only 46 homicides in 2011, with obviously a higher population in the city.

I'm over 30 and have lived in this part of the city my whole life.

I was never talking about "crime in Toronto in general", I was talking about the annex where any violent crime leaves us talking about it for decades.

But if you'd like to continue splitting hairs, go ahead and post some annex-based stats because I'm not about to look them up.

Are there any organized hockey leagues open to anyone?

Tons. Just google what you're looking for and add your area/town, though you're just at the tail end of regular ice season. You can pick up a summer hockey on ice, but it will be expensive because most arenas convert for ball/inline leagues.

Stet

Banned
I'm over 30 and have lived in this part of the city my whole life.

I was never talking about "crime in Toronto in general", I was talking about the annex where any violent crime leaves us talking about it for decades.

But if you'd like to continue splitting hairs, go ahead and post some annex-based stats because I'm not about to look them up.

Annex is tough because it's served by two Police Divisions, so the statistics are split.

Here's the '97 data, and those two divisions have both the highest violent crime rate in the city and the lowest violent crime rate in the city.

Code:
	VIOLENT CRIME			PROPERTY CRIME			OTHER CRIME			TRAFFIC OFFENSES		TOTAL OFFENSES

OFFENCE RATE* 	CLEAR 		OFFENCE RATE* 	CLEAR 		OFFENCE RATE* 	CLEAR 		OFFENCE RATE* 	CLEAR 		OFFENCE RATE* 	CLEAR

14 	3,530 	2,266 	72.1 		10,123 	6,499 	22.0 		4,830 	3,101 	59.9 		400 	257 	99.5 		18,883 	12,123 	42.7
53 	919 	678 	68.4 		5,894 	4,346 	15.6 		1,817 	1,340 	43.1 		84 	62 	98.8 		8,714 	6,425 	27.7

Boogie

Hold, on, let's hop in our time machine and go back 48 hours to the post that started this mini-debate:

This is depressing, attacks on TTC workers is 2 per day?

I know this is no longer the peace loving liberal city I grew up in, but it's disturbing.

I was never talking about "crime in Toronto in general", I was talking about the annex

I know this is no longer the peace loving liberal city I grew up in, but it's disturbing.

I was never talking about "crime in Toronto in general",

this is no longer the peace loving liberal city

Backpedal moar.

Rinoa

My original post was in reaction to the shooting at Dupont, aka the annex.

The news article mentioned that TTC workers are attacked at that rate, and so I said "what happened to the liberal/peaceloving Toronto". We almost had 3 levels of conservative govt, and we have Rob Ford. So no, it's not the same city.

It sounds more like you were reading my post and simply looking for something to make yourself look more ~hardcore Torontonian~ than myself, down to asking for my age.

Boogie

My original post was in reaction to the shooting at Dupont, aka the annex.

And no one took issue with the post you made before the one I quoted. (though I would still argue it's silly. It's the sort of naive worldview that is divorced from reality. Crime happens everywhere. Boxing day shooting outside the Eaton Centre, anyone?)

The news article mentioned that TTC workers are attacked at that rate, and so I said "what happened to the liberal/peaceloving Toronto". We almost had 3 levels of conservative govt, and we have Rob Ford. So no, it's not the same city.

Oh, that's even better that the comment was made in relation to a shooting at a subway station. Please, tell me how the fact that Rob Ford is mayor of this city means that crime is worse?

It sounds more like you were reading my post and simply looking for something to make yourself look more ~hardcore Torontonian~ than myself, down to asking for my age.

LMAO @ me trying to look "hardcore" Torontonian! I make no claims to that, I lived in the city for a grand total of 4 of my 28 years.

No, my asking your age should have been self-explanatory, to try and get a baseline for whatever era your nostalgic-tinted perspective considers to have been all sunshine and lollipops when faced with crime statistics to the contrary.

Rinoa

And no one took issue with the post you made before the one I quoted. (though I would still argue it's silly. It's the sort of naive worldview that is divorced from reality. Crime happens everywhere)

Oh, that's even better. Please, tell me how the fact that Rob Ford is mayor of this city means that crime is worse?

LMAO @ me trying to look "hardcore" Torontonian! I make no claims to that, I lived in the city for a grand total of 4 of my 28 years.

No, my asking your age should have been self-explanatory, to try and get a baseline for whatever era your nostalgic-tinted perspective considers to have been all sunshine and lollipops when faced with crime statistics to the contrary.

Meh, you're trying too hard to misread everything.

Rob Ford = conservative != liberal

In any case, go get those annex crime statistics since you're very hard pressed on this matter.

Boogie

Rob Ford = conservative != liberal

Now explain how that has fuck all to do with the city's crime rate, or how a crime story warrants such an absurd political comment.

In any case, go get those annex crime statistics since you're very hard pressed on this matter.

You're the one who made the assertion that crime is worse now in the city compared to the past. I challenged that statement, and provided evidence to the contrary.

I believe the ball is in your court on that count. You've offered nothing other than "golly shucks, I sure don't remember crime being this bad when I grew up! And I've lived here my whole life, so that makes me right!"

Rinoa

Now explain how that has fuck all to do with the city's crime rate, or how a crime story warrants such an absurd political comment.

You're the one who made the assertion that things are worse. I challenged that statement, and provided evidence to the contrary.

I believe the ball is in your court on that count. You've offered nothing other than "golly shucks, I sure don't remember crime being this bad when I grew up!"

It has to do with my original post... where I was all "omg the city is changing, it's now conservative/more violent/etc".

And no, I'm not going to quote stats because I've lived here long enough to not feel the need to validate everything that I see with wikipedia. I don't owe you anything.

I also don't get where you're coming from. You haven't seen how much things have changed in this city first hand. So much on the TTC has changed (shields, cameras, constables, DWAs) in order to get those crimerates down. However, the fact that more changes are needed (bulletproof glass) shows that things continue to get crazier.

Boogie

It has to do with my original post... where I was all "omg the city is changing, it's now conservative/more violent/etc".

wow, I can't believe you keep doubling down on the stupid.

liberals = peaceloving

conservatives = violent

Fuck off with that sort of bullshit.

Rinoa

wow, I can't believe you keep doing that.

liberals = peaceloving

conservatives = violent

Except that I never equated them, again. It was simply a list of things changing in Toronto.

If anything's bullshit, it's how you're trying too hard to find reasons to stay angry and not get over it.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
wow, I can't believe you keep doubling down on the stupid.

liberals = peaceloving

conservatives = violent

I don't know if we need to make this particularly political Boogie, I can see why you'd be invested in crime statistics - but I think all Rinoa is saying is, in her eyes - while there may be less overall crime, it feels as though the city is degrading, what with more conservative politics and violent crime (I don't think she meant conservative politics = violent crime).

Heck, I would even go so far as to say, in the attempt to dissuade violent crime, the atmosphere feels more and more... violent. Seeing all the preventative measures only goes to highlight what it is that is trying to be prevented.

Roto13

I heard the leader of the Conservative party is chosen with a free-for-all fight to the death. Last man standing is Prime Minister.

Boogie

Except that I never equated them, again. It was simply a list of things changing in Toronto.

Don't be a disingenuous ass. You're stringing phrases together about it not being a "liberal, peaceloving" city.

Then going "Rob Ford = conservative != liberal"

And finally, in describing how it's "changed" in your eyes, to a "conservative/more violent" city.

You're making the association. At least own up to it.

...of course, none of that matters because YOU'RE WRONG. IT ISN'T BECOMING A MORE VIOLENT CITY. CRIME IS OBJECTIVELY AT LIKE A 20 YEAR LOW.

It would be like me saying after the" year of the gun": "Man, I miss when this was a safe, conservative city. Now that that liberal David Miller is in charge, he's letting the gangs run wild." I would be jumped on for making a bullshit comment, and rightfully so.

Of course, that would be marginally less retarded than you, because at least murders were up that year!

I don't know if we need to make this particularly political Boogie, I can see why you'd be invested in crime statistics -

She's the one using political language in the discussion. Not me.

but I think all Rinoa is saying is, in her eyes - while there may be less overall crime, it feels as though the city is degrading, what with more conservative politics and violent crime (I don't think she meant conservative politics = violent crime).

That's nice. Me, I try to base my positions on logic and facts, not just on my "feeling".

I wonder how many more strawman arguments he will make against me before he gets bored.

I'm the one making strawman arguments? You're the one arguing a more violent city based on nothing more than personal anecdotes!

If we're just going to count each other's fallacies, I have three for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

Rinoa

Don't be a disingenuous ass. You're stringing phrases together about it not being a "liberal, peaceloving" city.

Then going "Rob Ford = conservative != liberal"

And finally, in describing how it's "changed" in your eyes, to a "conservative/more violent" city.

You're making the association. At least own up to it.

...of course, none of that matters because YOU'RE WRONG. IT ISN'T BECOMING A MORE VIOLENT CITY. CRIME IS OBJECTIVELY AT LIKE A 20 YEAR LOW.

She's the one using political language in the discussion. Not me.

That's nice. Me, I try to base my positions on logic and facts, not just on my "feeling".

I'm the one making strawman arguments? You're the one arguing a more violent city based on nothing more than personal anecdotes!

I listed what was changing in the city, I didn't say they were the same thing.

I didn't make an association between violence and conservatives, you did.

Have you observed that nobody else made that association? And that nobody else has gone great lengths to take personal offense at what I said?

If situations were switched and it was you who lived here for over 30 years and myself just a few, I'd be extremely wary about discussing how a city has changed.

Rinoa

Back to the argument about Toronto, I get that you're quoting stats about crime rates in Toronto, and it's just "silly" for people to have opinions on where they live. The reality is that these crime rates don't change in a vaccuum, and how safe a city feels involves more than just statistics.

As for the rest, it seems you're not yet aware that I've been ignoring the insults, swearwords and wiki links ever since your very first condescending reply.

Boogie

Back to the argument about Toronto, I get that you're quoting stats about crime rates in Toronto, and it's just "silly" for people to have opinions on where they live. The reality is that these crime rates don't change in a vaccuum, and how safe a city feels involves more than just statistics.

lol

As for the rest, it seems you're not yet aware that I've been ignoring the insults, swearwords and wiki links ever since your very first condescending reply.

Strange that you would ignore the wiki links. Since, y'know, I only used them to point out each of your logical fallacies after you seemed to content to dismiss me as using a straw man. Fair's fair, after all.

Takao

Banned
Have any of you guys got a Vita? According to Near, one of you might, so I suggest you guys check out Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack. It's an $8 platformer on PSN, and made in Toronto by Drinkbox Studios:

Am3v9HCCMAEIH9t.jpg

You guys check it out, since you partially made it happen:

Am3u94YCAAAvGT-.jpg

Trust me, unlike Silicon Knight money, this game is pretty sweet.

Ok, can I play?

This city was positively grimy in the 80s. The city had attitude. It had crime. Sex drugs rock n roll and all that. It was filthy. Tons more unregulated strip clubs and rub and tugs. Yonge Street south from Bloor to the lake looked as bad as...well, that little stretch between College and Gerrard does now.

It has since pretty much cleaned up its act. To the point where, even in the 90s, television shows had to make the city look dirtier in order to reflect the cities Toronto was intended to portray. We were just too clean, dammit.

Objectively, reported and charged crime statistics have fallen in the city since that time, too, and our population became increasingly diverse. Those two things happening at the same time are, to most sociologists, a phenomenon worth studying. Usually when groups of people of different backgrounds wind up in close proximity, they end up warring. But that's not happened here. Who knew?

All that being said, policywise, this city has had no long-term direction since amalgamation. Before amalgamation, the city was six boroughs, who may or may not have got along, who may or may not have cooperated on things like transit. They could, but usually didn't, plan for themselves, because they were closer to their constituents who, as we're beginning to learn, had vastly different preferences and still do.

Post-amalgamation, politicians fight more than toddlers who never learn how to use their words. That's not unique to Ford, though it does seem to have taken a more acute turn with him, given how and why he was elected (reaction to another mayor) and the platform on which he ran ("respect" for taxpayers; scientifically misguided policy statements). Recall that Lastman found himself in hot water on a near-daily basis for what would come out of his mouth. He managed to insult every ethnic group in this city and he was still elected time after time - and oh, wait, he was the North York guy, too. People across the country still make fun of us for calling in the Army that one time in January.

Miller made a name for himself on purporting to "clean up city hall" (sound familiar?) and then made a name for himself failing to negotiate his way out of a paper bag. TTC strike. Garbage strike. TTC strike redux, on the hottest friggen day of the century. And then there was Transit City! Suddenly, it looked like someone had scored some long-term vision goggles and we might have something that would work.

But it didn't. Transit City was an expensive proposition even to the left-wingers on Council, and set up a plan that didn't account for the needs of small businesses in this city, which have historically paid the highest property and municipal taxes of any major city in (IIRC) Ontario, if not Canada, and among the highest in the western hemisphere. So as wonderful in concept as Transit City was, the way things stood Miller's policies could have bankrupted the city.

So here comes Ford, who may as well have had a cape for all his idiomatic rhetoric.

So what's the difference? Where does this sentiment that Toronto is going downhill come from? From what I can see, it appears that the priority shift that is occurring in this city - the individualist attitude that policies have taken - is in contrast to the more collective policy philosophy of mayors like Miller (and a little like Lastman, and Hall before him.) But that's a political shift that is playing out socially - not a social shift that is playing out politically.

I love this city and I hate the direction in which it's headed, but personally, I'm not conflating the direction in which it's headed and the direction from which it's come. Because to me, it seems as though there hasn't been a real "direction" for the city in years - which, ultimately, is part of our problem today.

I could also make the argument that the attitudes of Torontonians are at least in part driven by how they feel about what is going on federally and provincially too, but it's getting late and that's a thesis for another day.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys. Guess what's going up opposite Eaton's Centre on Yonge? 60 floors. I hope this means the bank buildings will actually be used for something soon too. I enjoyed the idea of having a museum (maybe devoted to the city?) in them.

MDRiq.jpg

dTlTu.jpg

Top Bottom