• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

Anyone else stuck in that clusterfuck of a morning commute this morning? I was at kipling station an hour and a half waiting for a shuttle bus. Broke up a few fist fights in the process, surprised no fires broke out.

That's some dedication right there... GRRRRR

Yea, it was signal issues, so you'd have to get to islington to get anywhere. Fights REALLY do break out on TTC during crowded delays, its insane. I've seen women fighting on the Spadina streetcar, of all places.

Home purchasing in Toronto is a nightmare, not to mention IMO not necessarily financially sound. But best of luck to you, and if need be, I can recommend you a good mortgage guy, as I know a bunch from an old job downtown.

If the bidding doesn't go well, consider what I tell everyone: rent from condo owners. Yes, you don't build the equity of a purchase, but man alive will you live cheaply. So many units are up for rent some owners are desperate to fill them, and take $100-400 per month losses.

Thanks, I'm living the nightmare for over a year now. A whole lot of overpriced "flips" in my area and because of the market, people are buying them up way over asking price. There's also one guy right on my street who bought everything on my street same day.

I'm not first time home owner and can't live in most condos (cat + 6'3" harp + need to host large groups of ppl), the condos that can accommodate us tend to cost equivalent of houses on west end and then there are maint fees. Renting puts things in a state of flux, as we need permanence. We don't do mortgage tho, we were only considering mortgage when it was that almost-dream house that got a fierce bidding war. It was a well done and happily situated house though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Don't forget, we're still trying to decide on a location for the Toronto Meetup. I nominate Kraftwerk for making the final decision, given that he made the thread.

sR6k5.png

If the bidding doesn't go well, consider what I tell everyone: rent from condo owners. Yes, you don't build the equity of a purchase, but man alive will you live cheaply. So many units are up for rent some owners are desperate to fill them, and take $100-400 per month losses.

When I was looking for apartments, I found just the opposite. The condo owners were charging way too much for their units compared to rental only buildings. The biggest ripoff units were the ones by the waterfront. People are paying 400 or 500 more than I pay in the Annex! Why would I pay extra to live in such a stale neighborhood? I guess the appeal is that the units look brand new which is probably the most important consideration for people moving in from the 905 areas.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So me and the roommate talk about moving out of Scarborough and closer to the downtown core by the end of this year - where would GAF recommend we move so that we get a decent apartment for something close to 1-1.1k a month, 2 bedroom? Of course we wont get anything decent downtown at that pricepoint - but we live past Kennedy, anything near downtown would be a huge improvement.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So me and the roommate talk about moving out of Scarborough and closer to the downtown core by the end of this year - where would GAF recommend we move so that we get a decent apartment for something close to 1-1.1k a month, 2 bedroom? Of course we wont get anything decent downtown at that pricepoint - but we live past Kennedy, anything near downtown would be a huge improvement.

You're probably looking in the areas I prefer. My building in fact rents 2 bedrooms for $1,100 (inclusive). Just west of High Park. There are other buildings in the area that rent for a similar price, on the west side of High Park and even above the park. If you do like the west end, but want even cheaper, south of Queen in Parkdale has numerous high rises with low rents, although some people might not like the neighborhood as it has a lot of lower income families living in the area.

Consider St Clair as well. Bathurst & St Clair at the foot of Forest Hill have some great values, and you're right on the subway, with plenty to walk to as well as Cedarvale Ravine and other parks. There's A LOT of one bedrooms in the area, but two bedrooms can be had. If you want to live closer to Yonge, look around Avenue Rd. While Yonge and St Clair is not incredibly expensive, it can be tough to find a two bedroom in that price range. If you are just over a few blocks toward Avenue, prices drop and there are a lot of options.

But there are options downtown, it simply comes with living a bit off the main strip. There are dozens of buildings east of Yonge and south of Bloor that are within your price range, but you have to live in what some people would consider less than desirable neighborhoods around Jarvis, etc. The Danforth, has pockets of affordable apartments at many intersections like Broadview, or further out toward Main and Victoria Park.

I'd say keep an eye on Viewit.ca's map view, keep checking craigslist, kijiji, and walk around neighborhoods you think you'd like. A lot of buildings have big signs out front giving you contact information, and availability signs. You're probably going to be pushing $1,200 if you want a 2 bedroom in a 'good' neighborhood.

Good luck!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

http://www.swallowfood.com/gwailo-wants-to-feed-the-devil-in-all-of-us/

GwaiLo, a new project by Chef Nick Liu, plans on bringing you a taste of modern Asia in a series of events starting with a few preview dinners next month.

Chef Liu, fresh off a 4 year stint as Executive Chef of Niagara Street Cafe, has been toying with Asian flavours for most of his culinary career. Now he’s applying new techniques to create adaptations of traditional Asian dishes, with a few features from his childhood.
“Y’know, shit my Dad made.”

GwaiLo is a common Cantonese term that loosely translates to “foreign devil”. Expect to hear this little tidbit mentioned a lot in the coming weeks.
“Everything we love about Toronto is a result of the mash-up of different cultures. Here, anyone can be a foreign devil.”
Collaborating with Christina Kuypers, formerly of the Black Hoof, Splendido and the Drake Hotel, cocktails and conviviality will be a part of the equation. These two high energy hosts want to bring you a dining experience that’ll change the script on Asian cuisine

Tickets for the GwaiLo preview dinners on Tuesday, March 6th and Tuesday, March 13th will be available on Twitter. Follow @GwaiLoToronto to find out more.

https://twitter.com/#!/GwaiLoToronto

Already bought three tickets for the dinner on the 13th.

bBFtF.jpg

Here is a map of buildings that are taller than 400 feet in the downtown core.

Grey = Built
Green = Under Construction
Blue = Proposed

Kunohara

I found it funny when the TTC announced all those service changes, and most ended up being a difference of one minute or so, considering they really don't follow those times anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I found it funny when the TTC announced all those service changes, and most ended up being a difference of one minute or so, considering they really don't follow those times anyway.

It just comes down to one less bus on the road, usually. And that they'll hold over for a minute, or two longer on their schedule. (ie; most streetcars will wait at Humber for ten to twenty minutes sometimes until they're scheduled to leave, if they were ahead of it. Buses usually have a spot where they'll idle for a few minutes if they're ahead of schedule, etc).

But yeah. I feel sorry for tourist and unknowning people reading the TTC schedules, as if they expect the times to actually correlate with the arrival of the vehicle. Thankfully, the GPS tracking devices on all the vehicles means I can time the arrival pretty well.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Quadratic

Yeah ever since the GPS addtion + Rocketman app on the iphone I've never had to wait forever for a streetcar or bus. It also lets me know if there's a huge delay and I can call a cab instead. When I'm at a pub I can determine when the next vehicle is coming before going out into the cold.

Rinoa

Dang, doing a Casa Loma tasting on the 13th. And 6th too soon. Guess we're all getting fat that night.

Would I need a smart phone to do this? Or can I just check a website right before I wanna leave my apartment?

I don't use apps because it takes long. I have the pages for various bus stops (and in the specific direction) bookmarked on my phone and I load it when I'm almost ready to leave the house.

However- you'll notice different times of day, certain routes actually take longer than it says by a few minutes.. and certain routes come sooner than it says. Or it may even change altogether into "next bus not available/predicted" or something out of nowhere.

So even if you checked it before leaving, you gotta check continually for it to truly be useful.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yes. Timing is not always to be believed. I catch the 501 two stops from Humber. But usually the streetcars, especially later at night, speed through Humber and while it might say 5 minutes, it is actually 2 minutes.

But you learn the routes and the times after a few trips. I can accurately predict when to catch my bus and streetcar pretty much down to the minute now, just judging by where they are on the map.

As I think I said at the time they were announced, if they stuck to the times that they indicated, it would have been an improvement.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is why I buy a metropass now. Never have to deal with transfers again.

Bought metropasses for years, but now that I don't travel everyday, cost doesn't make any sense over tokens. Traveling 50 times per month just to break even with the metropass vs. bulk token buying. $128 ($121 for yearly sub) is insane.

I'm from a city just outside Toronto, I rarely get to have a reason to go because my friends dont go :(

There's so much I want to try out in the city but have not

Some really creepy wind out there , Jeeze my trees are howling :|

Woke me up, upturned my planter pots with two years worth of infused soil that I was going to use to repot my herb garden this year. Proceeded to blow ALL THAT SOIL all over the place. Sorry neighbours.

eff you, wind. Eff you.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bought metropasses for years, but now that I don't travel everyday, cost doesn't make any sense over tokens. Traveling 50 times per month just to break even with the metropass vs. bulk token buying. $128 ($121 for yearly sub) is insane.
Flip side is that you're more willing to take random short trips on the TTC that you wouldn't otherwise, but yeah, it's hard to justify the monthly pass if you don't travel more than two times a day.

Oppo

yeah that wind is crazy. remnants from the surprise twisters in the states, I guess.

gusting up to 100km on the lakeshore.... dang.

glad I no longer live on the 26th floor, some of those nights it sounded like a freight train going by for hours.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah crazy ass wind here. Couldn't even walk forward at times when I was outside with my dog. It's a good thing I have some noise reducing headphones or definitely wouldn't have been able to sleep.

Top Bottom