• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kim Kardashian is gonna be at The Bay today at Bay and Richmond. Considering going to make her fall inlove with me.

Since I have no idea who that is, I'll have to assume she has something to do with television (I don't watch tv)

Toronto photo of the day:

7155867246_630cb5c71d_b.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's not driving that's hard, it's dealing with the idiots who were given a license when they shouldn't have been. We need stricter licensing in Ontario.

Nah, licensing can be extremely strict depending on where you go (Oakville is notoriously tough). The problem is that Toronto drivers have been conditioned to be total assholes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A lot of normally fine people because assholes when driving. When you're stuck in a mess of traffic, with drivers going 30kph under the limit and people going 50kph over the limit, with construction, accidents, weather, ill conceived on ramps and highways designed for traffic numbers from 30 years ago, it'll always be hell. Toronto is not unique to any of this sort of hellish traffic. In fact, I'd say the Bay Area is generally a worse rush hour commute, and extends over a much greater area.

I do love driving cross country, on open roads though. I no longer own a car (thankfully, it's a sink hole for cash), but it is fun to rent a car during the summer for a road trip.

Quadratic

Hey guys, going to This American Life Live at scotiabank theatre tonight. Any recommendations for burgers around John and Richmond? I'm on the lookout for a patty melt (a grilled cheese with a hamburger patty). I'm not a frequent visitor to the entertainment district/Queen West.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys, going to This American Life Live at scotiabank theatre tonight. Any recommendations for burgers around John and Richmond? I'm on the lookout for a patty melt (a grilled cheese with a hamburger patty). I'm not a frequent visitor to the entertainment district/Queen West.

Not sure specifically about a patty melt, but; BQM is okay (not as good as the east side location), and Black Bull has a nice patio, food is 'okay'. Maybe someone else can step in with a better recommendation. :p

Quadratic

Not sure specifically about a patty melt, but; BQM is okay (not as good as the east side location), and Black Bull has a nice patio, food is 'okay'. Maybe someone else can step in with a better recommendation. :p

Thanks, looked at the menu for BQM. Seems okay. I remember that joint used to be a greasy spoon diner 10 years ago. I wonder if I can get them to throw a patty in their grilled cheese.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Nah, licensing can be extremely strict depending on where you go (Oakville is notoriously tough). The problem is that Toronto drivers have been conditioned to be total assholes.
Brampton and orangeville tests are pretty efd up. The test in orangeville isn't hard. Its just that the streets are stupid and people on the street don't give a shit so they walk everywhere.

Quick

Banned
So today marks the first time I've ever been to Hairy Tarantula.

I've never been and had always been looking for it, but I didn't realize that it's on the second floor. Not much of a selection when it comes to figures (or I just didn't see them), though I do like that they have back issues of Doctor Who Magazine.

The BMV at Yonge is pretty damn dirty. Last time I was there (last summer), they had a bug infestation. Didn't see anything this time, but just knowing it once (and still might) had bugs made me itch.

So today marks the first time I've ever been to Hairy Tarantula.

I've never been and had always been looking for it, but I didn't realize that it's on the second floor. Not much of a selection when it comes to figures (or I just didn't see them), though I do like that they have back issues of Doctor Who Magazine.

The BMV at Yonge is pretty damn dirty. Last time I was there (last summer), they had a bug infestation. Didn't see anything this time, but just knowing it once (and still might) had bugs made me itch.

lol hairy tarantula, another place I use to frequent when I was 14-15

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just had a deep fried mars bar. So goood arguguuguguhhh.

Retro Burger near coxwell and danforth.

Is that the same Retro Burger that was near Yonge and St Clair for a while? Pretty decent place, a bit over priced.. but so are most burgers in Toronto now. :/

Magnus

My mom and her man are lookin for a club/dance place that does '70's nights and kind of has a 40+ crowd. Does such a place exist in TO?

I don't advocate being an ass or a road-rager, but being a wimp on Toronto roads is worse for traffic flow.

explodet

Anyone going to the Asian Street Market party next monday?
*looks up*
Tickets ($60, available online) include five plates and a beer. Dishes include Liu’s trout with black bean fiddleheads and jellyfish slaw, Hojilla’s grilled pork belly with banana ketchup in a coconut crepe and Claudio’s “Sichuan tingling chicken.”
Sixty bones? Yikes.

Real Asian Street Markets have food on sticks that you buy for a dollar.

hong-kong-day-2-7.jpg

mcrae

so im now living at dufferin and steeles. couple friends coming to visit tomorrow. any good patios/cheap bars in the area?

so im now living at dufferin and steeles. couple friends coming to visit tomorrow. any good patios/cheap bars in the area?

Not really

And welcome to the neighbourhood

There is an East Side Marios and Montana's right at Dufferin and Steeles
There is an ok pub at Dufferin and Centre Street (Centre Street Bar and Grill or something like that)
There is another ok pub at Yonge and Steeles (Tickled Toad)
Then you have York U if you go west on Steeles

I think I can speak for most people who have lived in this area..........when we want to go drinking we leave the area lol..............the bar on Centre would have been useful when I was closer to 19 than 30 =/ its only been open a few months

There is an ok pub at Dufferin and Centre Street (Centre Street Bar and Grill or something like that)
I think I can speak for most people who have lived in this area..........when we want to go drinking we leave the area lol..............the bar on Centre would have been useful when I was closer to 19 than 30 =/ its only been open a few months
I've never even heard of this even though I've lived here like forever... oh, that would explain it.

Divvy

*looks up*
Sixty bones? Yikes.

Real Asian Street Markets have food on sticks that you buy for a dollar.

hong-kong-day-2-7.jpg

Yeah it's not the same thing as that though. These chefs all admit to being super white washed anyways. They call themselves the Banana Mafia lol.

60$? How good is it there? I think I'll just end up going to the Markham &T&T Night Market

I went to a food event chef Nick Liu hosted for his new restaurant a few weeks ago and it was 75 dollars. It was totally worth the price though, absolutely fantastic food. I doubt this event will disappoint. I wish I could go, but scheduling issues got in the way. It's not going to be the same as the Markham market at all, this is more of a foodie event.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not really

And welcome to the neighbourhood

There is an East Side Marios and Montana's right at Dufferin and Steeles
There is another ok pub at Yonge and Steeles (Tickled Toad)
Then you have York U if you go west on Steeles

How is that bar on Centre? Never been there. I've only heard of it through you and someone else's bro.

I did my tests in Oakville. They didn't seem all that tough to me. Of course, I scheduled for mid-afternoon, when all the yuppies are still at their jobs and the teens are still in school. The roads are quieter.

Divvy

I did my tests in Oakville. They didn't seem all that tough to me. Of course, I scheduled for mid-afternoon, when all the yuppies are still at their jobs and the teens are still in school. The roads are quieter.

Depending on the route you take, there can be a lot of traps. Hard to see signs, bushes obscuring your vision, Oakville's weirdass road orientations, and that terrible driving conditions during rush hour. Sometimes you get lucky have a nice examiner. She took me on a route where I didn't even have to parallel park next to a curb. I remember everyone I knew wanted to get their tests in Brampton due to their closed course, but I think they shut that down recently.

Depending on the route you take, there can be a lot of traps. Hard to see signs, bushes obscuring your vision, Oakville's weirdass road orientations, and that terrible driving conditions during rush hour. Sometimes you get lucky have a nice examiner. She took me on a route where I didn't even have to parallel park next to a curb. I remember everyone I knew wanted to get their tests in Brampton due to their closed course, but I think they shut that down recently.

Well, it may help that I grew up in Oakville, but I was a dedicated cyclist until my mid-20s, so it's not like I had much practice on those roads. The roads around the Driving Centre aren't that strange by any suburban measure.

Anyway, Brampton had a closed course? I never knew.

Hieberrr

Holy moly, the weather is freaking scorching hot today!

DO NOT LIKE
KuGsj.gif

On the bright side, it's no longer super cold and instead, sunny :) This means I get to take my camera out next week! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Holy moly, the weather is freaking scorching hot today!

DO NOT LIKE
KuGsj.gif

On the bright side, it's no longer super cold and instead, sunny :) This means I get to take my camera out next week! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

Today was not even close to hot. I will worry for you once summer hits. :(

Top Bottom