• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Heading downtown now. Dropping by Coffee Culture (block east of Bathurst on College), for anyone going to the Playstation event. Feel free to drop in. I probably won't hang out long at the event, but I will drop in to see it. Look for the name tag. :p

Ha, unfortunately the $1300 would be just rent.

Gonna have a look on craigslist now.

Well, $1,300 for just rent is definitely doable.

Check out http://viewit.ca/ for apartments as well. You can cross check things like google maps and addresses to see what's near transit, but you'll almost always be close to a streetcar, or subway south of St Clair.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey. Got a question that I hope you guys will be able to help me out on. Me and my Girlfriend are moving over to Toronto pretty soon on 1 year visas, and we've recently been having doubts on if we'll be able to afford the kind of rent prices we've been looking at.

Neither of us is going over with a job lined up, and while we have a few contacts in the city, were thinking that it's unlikely were going to get work in our fields. So that means we'll probably be picking up whatever jobs we can get.

We're looking at rents around $1300+ for the most part, and we've just gotten a bit scared that that would stretch us really thin. Just wanted to get some opinions from residents?

If you are coming during the summer, you could easily find a bevy of cheap places that are going for rent around the downtown campus since students are going to be looking for people to sublet their apartments. I'm not sure which site students typically post their listings on nowadays (Kijiji?) Maybe another gaffer could answer that for you.

If you are coming during the summer, you could easily find a bevy of cheap places that are going for rent around the downtown campus since students are going to be looking for people to sublet their apartments. I'm not sure which site students typically post their listings on nowadays (Kijiji?) Maybe another gaffer could answer that for you.

Nice idea, could give us plenty of time to get on our feet.

cbox

Nightmare commute tonight, apparent jumper at old mill. This gives me very little hope if Toronto ever has a major disaster, the city would be doomed.

Nightmare commute tonight, apparent jumper at old mill. This gives me very little hope if Toronto ever has a major disaster, the city would be doomed.

Yeah. I got the impression someone touched the third rail.

Playstation meet up was a lot of fun. In GAF tradition, I talked with fellow Gaffers and didn't end up playing any of the games. Had a good chat with Shane Bettenhausen. Dyad looks fantastic and so does Papo & Yo. I have a feeling that Papo & Yo is going to be a big deal on GAF in a few months. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/03/papo-yo-explores-abuse-fear-and-poverty-through-block-puzzles.ars

whitehawk

Banned
Playstation even was smaller than I expected. But I did get a free umbrella and t-shirt. Also ran into some GAFers.

Sound Shapes sucks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You finally got to try Sound Shapes? I gave up on playing anything. Venue was way too small.

It's because they devoted 3/4s of the space to catering. Hohoho..

But yes, it was great to meet some gaffers. Only 7 streetpasses, but I guess that's okay for a Sony event.

Playstation meet up was a lot of fun. In GAF tradition, I talked with fellow Gaffers and didn't end up playing any of the games. Had a good chat with Shane Bettenhausen. Dyad looks fantastic and so does Papo & Yo. I have a feeling that Papo & Yo is going to be a big deal on GAF in a few months. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/03/papo-yo-explores-abuse-fear-and-poverty-through-block-puzzles.ars

Man, that's what E3 was like back in the day.

jokkir

I missed out on a free PlayStation umbrella :( did anyone know if they had Vita's to play with Retro City Rampage? I went by the station and it was just lights. One game I wanted to try out there but couldn't :(

whitehawk

Banned
I missed out on a free PlayStation umbrella :( did anyone know if they had Vita's to play with Retro City Rampage? I went by the station and it was just lights. One game I wanted to try out there but couldn't :(
They gave me an umbrella because I had to wait in line and they said "thanks for being patient". It's a really nice umbrella too.

Oddly enough, this event made me miss E3 a bit. I need to go back. I have to start freelancing in the gaming space again.

I helped run a quasi-successful gaming site back then. We went to E3 between '99 and '02. It was quite a feat pulling it all off, as we had members fly in from across the country and even from Europe. The last year I managed to get 12 people in, IIRC, faxing all these documents and everything. It was quite a production for a puny operation like ours. (Although I didn't quite get my share of the actual work done. I was going through... things at the time.)

Shane was right, real GAF is just like online gaf, we'd just talk about games and not play anything.

jokkir

Yes, it was on a vita

Ah, my fault then. I didn't bother waiting. I thought the people who had Vita's were just downloading it on to their system or something. I didn't see a kiosk there.

I almost got an umbrella but I only waited for about a minute before they let me in. And yeah, I didn't play anything either. Was interested about Sorcery though but there were several people waiting to play it so I couldn't.

Ah, my fault then. I didn't bother waiting. I thought the people who had Vita's were just downloading it on to their system or something. I didn't see a kiosk there.

I almost got an umbrella but I only waited for about a minute before they let me in. And yeah, I didn't play anything either. Was interested about Sorcery though but there were several people waiting to play it so I couldn't.
EvilMario and I stood around the Sorcery for a while just talking.

I just didn't bother playing anything outside of sound shapes, which, unlike whitehawk, I found the game awesome.

jokkir

Also didn't get EvilMario for Streetpass :( Maybe I passed a bunch of people before going in the event

Did anyone pass by a carL?

zroid

Banned
The crowd made it hard to even "wait in line" so I didn't get a chance to play much. I really wanted to check out Dyad and Sorcery, but couldn't.

I did however manage to get my paws on Retro City Rampage and Papo & Yo, both of which were very cool. For the latter in particular, I was always intrigued by it, but am now especially excited.

Oh yeah, and I also thumbed through the Game of Thrones pre-order bonus art book. Damn that thing is lovely. One of the best pre-order bonuses for anything in recent memory.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teksavvy / Rogers cable internet shitting itself on the west end for the past couple of days, but definitely worse this morning. Up down up down. Probably Rogers fucking up the Scarlett POI again.

Teksavvy / Rogers cable internet shitting itself on the west end for the past couple of days, but definitely worse this morning. Up down up down. Probably Rogers fucking up the Scarlett POI again.

I have barely been home the last couple of days so I haven't noticed anything at all. Hope they get this fixed.

Toronto photo of the day:

7004690892_a3af283e78_b.jpg

This photo is of my favourite office buildings: the Toronto Dominion Centre. It was designed by a very famous architect named Mies van der Rohe

Today, I drove out to Mississauga from Yorkville for a meeting. I left the office at 3:30.

I arrived at my meeting at 6.

My blood pressure is roughly at aneurysm levels.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Today, I drove out to Mississauga from Yorkville for a meeting. I left the office at 3:30.

I arrived at my meeting at 6.

My blood pressure is roughly at aneurysm levels.

I don't drive, so I don't really know how it feels - but I remember the girlfriend had to drive across the city (from scarborough to west end) and it was supposed to take 30minutes, but the DVP was closed that weekend and it took nearly 2 hours. She looked like she was going to break down into tears near the end.

Guys, driving seems hard.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't drive, so I don't really know how it feels - but I remember the girlfriend had to drive across the city (from scarborough to west end) and it was supposed to take 30minutes, but the DVP was closed that weekend and it took nearly 2 hours. She looked like she was going to break down into tears near the end.

There's no way in hell I'd take the DVP to get from Scarborough to the west end. Why go downtown if you don't have to?

As shitty as the TTC can be sometimes, there's a reason why they can get away with calling it "The Rocket".

Compared to wimpy drivers scared of rain (of which this city appears to have plenty, leaving aside those afraid of snow), the TTC runs rather quickly.

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in the Roncesvalles area.

Wife and I are looking for a place to go to on Friday - good food, good vibe without being overly expensive.

It's not driving that's hard, it's dealing with the idiots who were given a license when they shouldn't have been. We need stricter licensing in Ontario.

Top Bottom