• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Brinbe

TFC is horrible. That loss today really hurt. Probably the only saving grace from this season is that Aron Winter is getting fired this season and we're probably picking #1 overall in next year's superdraft, I don't think there's an expansion team next year unless I'm mistaken.

Even that won't help. They need to fire everyone from upper management on down, because even the FO choosing the coaches aren't capable either. For a league with such parity it's disgusting that they've been bad for so long. Just totally inept all-around.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Whoooo Avengers was awesome! We went to Susur lee's restauant today too. Saw him in his pony-tailed glory. That Peking duck dish was delicious.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Whoooo Avengers was awesome! We went to Susur lee's restauant today too. Saw him in his pony-tailed glory. That Peking duck dish was delicious.

We saw it with friends at Rainbow Cinemas tonight too, after dropping by TCAF. Picked up a couple dozen streetpasses walking through twice within an hour.

And yes, Avengers was pretty damn good. Better than most super hero movies in the last few years.

Divvy

We saw it with friends at Rainbow Cinemas tonight too, after dropping by TCAF. Picked up a couple dozen streetpasses walking through twice within an hour.

And yes, Avengers was pretty damn good. Better than most super hero movies in the last few years.

How was it in 2D? I had to see it in 3D because I wanted to reserve seats and all the UltraAvx screens are only showing 3D. It's kind of annoying that all the higher quality screens in this city are only showing the 3D version.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I used to work at Rainbow Cinemas...not that location but the one at Promenade. To this day I can still get free tickets. Fun place to work though, I'll never forget it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Where is TCAF and how much is it and what time would I have to go tomorrow to be able to get in

And by tomorrow I mean today
Toronto Reference Library.

I totally forgot this was happening and missed the Kanata Konami tickets, so I just decided to skip it this year. Hopefully they'll have a big Japanese guest next year too.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I was dragged by my girlfriend to the Americas Next Top Model convention show... Toronto has so many sooo many fine ass women lol. I was bored as shit the whole time, but the beautiful long legs everywhere made it worth it :smug:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How was it in 2D? I had to see it in 3D because I wanted to reserve seats and all the UltraAvx screens are only showing 3D. It's kind of annoying that all the higher quality screens in this city are only showing the 3D version.

The screens were not high end quality at the theater, but it was good. It's a film not shot with 3D cameras, but people said it was 'okay' in 3D. But if I can avoid seeing any movie in 3D, I will. I just don't care for it in theaters.

Saw Avengers at the Scotiabank Theatre yesterday. We had to get in line 90 minutes early. But damn, it was worth it.

Looks like I made a good call going to the smaller showing, only 20 minutes of lining up. :p

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Movie would've been better without the douchebag dudebro high school fucks trying to be cool behind me.

Today, I'm outside at le papillion near the beaches. Croissant good. Escargot was tasteless. Bread was a bit stale. Hope the mains are good.

Stet

Banned
Went to TCAF, caught up with Jim Zub, J. Bone and Anthony Del Col and then bought My Friend Dahmer, which is amazing.

Magnus

New job and a good friend currently looking to move out/roomie means I'm looking again for a place. I ain't exactly rollin in dough with this gig, compared to two years ago when I comfortably moved to Yonge/St. Clair for $1600/month with my then-roommate.

Can the following actually be had for $1400-1500 in a decent area of downtown/midtown Toronto?:

• 2 bdrm
• 10-15 min. walk to subway
• No bedbug reports at the BB Registry (lol)
• A/C

Totally. Need this trend to die quick.

New job and a good friend currently looking to move out/roomie means I'm looking again for a place. I ain't exactly rollin in dough with this gig, compared to two years ago when I comfortably moved to Yonge/St. Clair for $1600/month with my then-roommate.

Can the following actually be had for $1400-1500 in a decent area of downtown/midtown Toronto?:

• 2 bdrm
• 10-15 min. walk to subway
• No bedbug reports at the BB Registry (lol)
• A/C

You may not be able to swing a/c, but if utilities are included you can buy one for a decent price, and still be able to swing $1400-$1500 in some of the mid-neighbourhoods in TO. I'd start with Roncey and the Dupont/Spadina areas. Annex is also a possibility.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
$1,300-$1,500 should net you a 2 bedroom in many neighborhoods (even down to $1,100ish like in our building, but further outside of downtown than you want). Just check all the major online utilities (craigslist.org, viewit.ca), and some of the major property management sites (greenwin.ca, minto.com, berkley.rentmaps.ca, briarlane.ca, oshanter.com). Check out lots of apartments, look for reviews online. Bloor West, Yonge and St Clair (and Bathurst and St Clair), and even east end on the Danforth, or beaches have good deals around, and are just a bit outside of 'the core'. I tend to find slightly less bedbug reports on the west end, but no place is immune. Good luck in your search.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Photo of the fire from the Star.

R1MPe.jpg

The one by the Midland RT station? Is it going to burn down or is it contained?

CTV reporting: The fire was mostly extinguished by 7:30 p.m.

The one by the Midland RT station? Is it going to burn down or is it contained?

I rode my bike over to take a look. It seemed completely contained. No smoke anymore. Didn't appear to be much damage, either.

It was probably one of the outdoor cardboard storage bays.

Still, if you work in a paper plant, that's gotta be one of your worst nightmares.

Please join us next Tuesday, May 8th for our “PlayStation ♥ Canada” meetup in Toronto. You’ll get first crack at playing Canadian-born PlayStation titles such as the stereophonic side-scroller Sound Shapes (PS Vita), glorious 8-bit homage Retro City Rampage (PS3 + PS Vita), the brain-meltingly beautiful Dyad (PS3), and more that will be revealed at the event. We’ll have refreshing beverages on hand and maybe, just maybe, a musical act.

When: Tuesday, May 8th from 5:30-8:00pm
Where: Camp Oochigeas Downtown [464 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S6]
What: hands-on gameplay with unreleased games
Admission: $0.00 (that’s $0.00 Canadian)
This.

BKXB

Economist
Hey TorontoGAF, I'm looking to pick up a transformer toy for my nephew's birthday.

Anyone know of local stores downtown that carry any? Otherwise it's off to Walmart.

Divvy

Hey TorontoGAF, I'm looking to pick up a transformer toy for my nephew's birthday.

Anyone know of local stores downtown that carry any? Otherwise it's off to Walmart.

That toy store (Toys Toys Toys?) In Eaton's centre should carry a bunch. I can't remember if Silver Snail is closed yet.

Whaaaat

Mammoliti is one of the councilors for closing Yonge down to one lane for pedestrian traffic........I thought he was a War on the Car (TM) guy

whitehawk

Banned

It's not downtown, but there's a toys R us express at Gerrard Square now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's not downtown, but there's a toys R us express at Gerrard Square now.

And Dufferin Mall has TRU. 401 Games (Gerrad and Yonge) might be worth calling

He's definitely there according to twitter. Still tempted to go. Wish I had a GAF shirt for the event. I need to order one of those just for GAF meetups.

This why you always need a bunch of HELLO MY NAME IS stickers on hand.

Oh 401 games, I remember when it was 401 Convenience and was a convenience store with a giant MTG collection :p

Poor Robbie Ford, gaining 4 pounds and being salty

Hey. Got a question that I hope you guys will be able to help me out on. Me and my Girlfriend are moving over to Toronto pretty soon on 1 year visas, and we've recently been having doubts on if we'll be able to afford the kind of rent prices we've been looking at.

Neither of us is going over with a job lined up, and while we have a few contacts in the city, were thinking that it's unlikely were going to get work in our fields. So that means we'll probably be picking up whatever jobs we can get.

We're looking at rents around $1300+ for the most part, and we've just gotten a bit scared that that would stretch us really thin. Just wanted to get some opinions from residents?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey. Got a question that I hope you guys will be able to help me out on. Me and my Girlfriend are moving over to Toronto pretty soon on 1 year visas, and we've recently been having doubts on if we'll be able to afford the kind of rent prices we've been looking at.

Neither of us is going over with a job lined up, and while we have a few contacts in the city, were thinking that it's unlikely were going to get work in our fields. So that means we'll probably be picking up whatever jobs we can get.

We're looking at rents around $1300+ for the most part, and we've just gotten a bit scared that that would stretch us really thin. Just wanted to get some opinions from residents?

What's your situation? Are you immigrating via sponsorship, or as a worker (ie; applications are in process, and far enough along to have a work permit), visiting, or coming other by other means (refugee, etc)? Sounds like you're just visiting? If that's the case..

There are very few jobs that don't require a work permit (which is why i ask), which is nigh impossible to secure unless you have a job offer, and your employer can prove you can do a job no other Canadian can do.. or if you've applied for a Skilled Worker visa. Even students are no entitled to work without one.

So if you're just coming on a visitor visa, don't be fooled into thinking you'll be able to find work. Likewise, working illegally without a permit will jeopardize your chance of ever being allowed into the country again if caught.

As for your price range. You can easily rent in the city for around $900.00 inclusive in a nice apartment, near the subway. This will generally net you a one bedroom and around 550sqft, give, or take. Some neighborhoods are a bit cheaper, and many can be more expensive. It's simply about looking around for a deal, and not rushing into an apartment. I guess the important question is, when are you coming over, and will you have time to browse some apartments? Most places will require a year lease (and 60 days notice to move out after the lease), so be aware of this. You might be able to rent a basement apartment, month to month, and for cheap if you're in a pinch while you browse for a better place.

Always interested in people moving here. I don't mean to scare you about the working bit, but I had to go without working for a while too while I waited on my immigration paperwork! ;) Good luck!

What's your situation? Are you immigrating via sponsorship, or as a worker (ie; applications are in process, and far enough along to have a work permit), visiting, or coming other by other means (refugee, etc)? Sounds like you're just visiting? If that's the case..

There are very few jobs that don't require a work permit (which is why i ask), which is nigh impossible to secure unless you have a job offer, and your employer can prove you can do a job no other Canadian can do.. or if you've applied for a Skilled Worker visa. Even students are no entitled to work without one.

So if you're just coming on a visitor visa, don't be fooled into thinking you'll be able to find work. Likewise, working illegally without a permit will jeopardize your chance of ever being allowed into the country again if caught.

As for your price range. You can easily rent in the city for around $900.00 inclusive in a nice apartment, near the subway. This will generally net you a one bedroom and around 550sqft, give, or take. Some neighborhoods are a bit cheaper, and many can be more expensive. It's simply about looking around for a deal, and not rushing into an apartment. I guess the important question is, when are you coming over, and will you have time to browse some apartments? Most places will require a year lease (and 60 days notice to move out after the lease), so be aware of this. You might be able to rent a basement apartment, month to month, and for cheap if you're in a pinch while you browse for a better place.

Always interested in people moving here. I don't mean to scare you about the working bit, but I had to go without working for a while too while I waited on my immigration paperwork! ;) Good luck!

We've got work visas. Just no jobs lined up for when we get there (which is later this month). I'm just starting to think i've been very optimistic about the way everything is going to work out. We've got a hostel for 5 days when we get in, but after that were on our own, and i'm not sure about signing a year lease on an apartment that i'm not sure if we're going to be able to afford.

Would i be correct in saying that expecting to be able to pay $1300+ a month between us is kinda foolish?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, is the $1,300 strictly for rent, is that for everything including food, transportation, entertainment? If it includes all of that, you can do it, but it will be tight. Transit is $2.50 per token (if bought in bulk) for one way per person, $10.50 day pass, around $35 for a week pass and $120 for a metropass (per person).

If you want to live cheap so you have money to enjoy yourselves, try to find a basement apartment. You can often get in without a lease (unlike an apartment), you can find plenty downtown (so you can walk everywhere easily, saving money), and if something doesn't work out with the place, you can find a new one.

And for work, great that you have an open work permit :O If money is real concern, there are always a number of retail positions that will be open. Low paying, but they may help you get by a bit better while you start out. You can check craigslist for both jobs and apartments, which I highly recommend. In fact, you might want to start seeing what's out there, and putting out feelers to companies you might be interested in.

Top Bottom