• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Just drove on highway 407 in this fog, jesus fucking christ. That was an experience. couldn't see any cars past 8 feet in front of you, couldn't see any signs, could only see lights nearing the last second, people still driving fast as fuck, had no idea what was going on.

Shit was beyond silent hill.

Hieberrr

Just drove on highway 407 in this fog, jesus fucking christ. That was an experience. couldn't see any cars past 8 feet in front of you, couldn't see any signs, could only see lights nearing the last second, people still driving fast as fuck, had no idea what was going on.

The fog is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, especially at night. I was walking home at 2 AM last night and walking in the fog just felt so eerie.

I. FUCKING. HATE. WIND.
Okay, it's not so bad, but it's terrible where I live (near Dufferin Mall). The GF keeps complaining that my side gets cut off every few seconds. I'm gonna go back to Fido tomorrow or something, but man... I just wasted $25 bucks on activation. I will also have to pay my first month bill which will be another $25. FML, wasted $50 on this BS. And if I go back to Fido, watch them hit me with a new account activation fee and whatnot and have me pay for a fucking micro sim. UGH.

Complete piss off.

scogoth

The fog is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad, especially at night. I was walking home at 2 AM last night and walking in the fog just felt so eerie.

I. FUCKING. HATE. WIND.
Okay, it's not so bad, but it's terrible where I live (near Dufferin Mall). The GF keeps complaining that my side gets cut off every few seconds. I'm gonna go back to Fido tomorrow or something, but man... I just wasted $25 bucks on activation. I will also have to pay my first month bill which will be another $25. FML, wasted $50 on this BS. And if I go back to Fido, watch them hit me with a new account activation fee and whatnot and have me pay for a fucking micro sim. UGH.

Complete piss off.

Totally thought you were hating on the weather and I couldn't figure out why you hate wind so much because it gets rid of the fog.

Hieberrr

Totally thought you were hating on the weather and I couldn't figure out why you hate wind so much because it gets rid of the fog.

KuGsj.gif
I'll test run it for a month :(

whitehawk

Banned
Hey toronto GAF, hope you don't mind if I pimp my buddies YouTube channel. He got a bit of a break and managed to land George Stroumboulopoulos for an interview. It was during the hurricane and George was a nice enough guy to weather the storm and drive out to his house for the interview. Me and I'm sure my bud would really appreciate any views.

http://youtu.be/ld20r2X04mM?t=5m6s

Yeah Wind has problems penetrating buildings. Hopefully improves over time.

They mainly just need better spectrum. What they currently hold isn't known for being great at penetrating buildings... So sadly it wont get better until the next Spectrum Auction, at which point you have to hope they can purchase anything from the 700-800 block

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Our WIND signal in our building is vastly superior to what it was a year ago, but it's still quite poor. At least I don't have to sit near the window to receive service now. Thankfully, we rarely ever receive calls and the phone is more for when we're out. And service has actually improved around the city for us. Even the dead zone in Parkdale has service now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They mainly just need better spectrum. What they currently hold isn't known for being great at penetrating buildings... So sadly it wont get better until the next Spectrum Auction, at which point you have to hope they can purchase anything from the 700-800 block

What? I thought the 700 auction happened already and they got a piece of it. Was I mistaken?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Today, Highland Companies walked away from their bid to build a quarry in Melancthon township, an hour or so northwest of Toronto.

The bid to build the quarry was heavily protested by area farmers, environmentalist Torontonians, and a variety of other folks.

There were concerns that the quarry would disrupt local farm land within the food belt, and that the water table would be compromised given the level of pollution from machinery and blasting equipment required to dig a hole as broad as Toronto and as deep as the CN tower. There were also noise concerns that the blasts would permeate the berms, and that the volume of heavy truck traffic would outweigh the local economic benefits to added activity and construction in the area.

The quarry would have provided the high-quality dolostone needed to build infrastructure such as schools and hospitals and roadways, as well as reduce the need to dig such dolostone out of the Niagara Escarpment.

The land that would have been used for the quarry was owned by Highland and used for potato farming, the vast majority of which was turned into potato chips for shipment to the US.

They were three years into their bid and about eight months away from their presentation to the Ontario Municipal Board. The Ontario Government ordered an EA a year ago, which would have delayed the approvals process further and duplicated many of the steps already taken as part of the Ministry of Natural Resources requirements to submit for approval to the OMB.

Toronto-GAF: thoughts?

I think maybe it was a bad decision to be so... distrustful of the quarry. It would have been a very useful boon, and while environmental concerns are definitely important - they should be met with proper mitigation and procedure, not an out-right NIMBY attitude.

As I said on twitter, that was Turok 2 or Superman 64 fog. It was just a wall that you don't see past.

Dyno

Today, Highland Companies walked away from their bid to build a quarry in Melancthon township, an hour or so northwest of Toronto.

The bid to build the quarry was heavily protested by area farmers, environmentalist Torontonians, and a variety of other folks.

There were concerns that the quarry would disrupt local farm land within the food belt, and that the water table would be compromised given the level of pollution from machinery and blasting equipment required to dig a hole as broad as Toronto and as deep as the CN tower. There were also noise concerns that the blasts would permeate the berms, and that the volume of heavy truck traffic would outweigh the local economic benefits to added activity and construction in the area.

The quarry would have provided the high-quality dolostone needed to build infrastructure such as schools and hospitals and roadways, as well as reduce the need to dig such dolostone out of the Niagara Escarpment.

The land that would have been used for the quarry was owned by Highland and used for potato farming, the vast majority of which was turned into potato chips for shipment to the US.

They were three years into their bid and about eight months away from their presentation to the Ontario Municipal Board. The Ontario Government ordered an EA a year ago, which would have delayed the approvals process further and duplicated many of the steps already taken as part of the Ministry of Natural Resources requirements to submit for approval to the OMB.

Toronto-GAF: thoughts?

I know many people who were active in this campaign but I wasn't entirely convinced like they were. What did give me concern was the work governments in the area have done to prevent sprawl and maintain farming, only to turn around and turn the area into a massive resource extraction project. Also messing with the water table should never be done lightly. That the farm itself is growing potato for American chips is a kind of spin. You could grow other things there, food for Ontarians. To make the land look poorly or underutilized because it's growing junk food actually has the opposite effect with me. It makes me think they are hiding something if they think such a tertiary issue is a talking point.

Perhaps it's for the best. Perhaps further study is needed. You can't take back a quarry.

I think maybe it was a bad decision to be so... distrustful of the quarry. It would have been a very useful boon, and while environmental concerns are definitely important - they should be met with proper mitigation and procedure, not an out-right NIMBY attitude.

Apparently there's tons of land in Ontario designated for quarries. They just liked that land because they already owned it for potato farming.

Anyway, anything like that in the green belt is a stupid idea. It's too sensitive, and the entire Golden Horseshoe depends on it.

What? I thought the 700 auction happened already and they got a piece of it. Was I mistaken?
Close but no, Wind owns parts of the 1700(for sending the signal) and 2100(for receiving the signal) blocks.

Its one of the main reasons they haven't done any wide-scale deployment. It just cost too much to have any reasonable infrastructure on these bands because they cover such a low space and have low penetration.

I'm not 100% sure but with wireles spectrum, I think the lower the frequency used, the better... although for some reason the 800 block is the most valuable of all of it, mainly because almost everyone has it; this means phones are able to be used cross-carrier and have great penetration.

Noticed a new game store today at Dundas West/Manning, basically between Bathurst and Trinity Bellwoods. They're called "Hero Video Games" I think.

Didn't go in but it looks pretty much like every other thrown together mom & pop games store.

Apparently there's tons of land in Ontario designated for quarries. They just liked that land because they already owned it for potato farming.

Anyway, anything like that in the green belt is a stupid idea. It's too sensitive, and the entire Golden Horseshoe depends on it.

Tons of land designated for quarries, yes. Tons of land designated as dolostone quarries, no.

It's the kind of stone that the ministry uses to make and repair roads, and it's one of the only materials that's rated highly enough to do so.

The geological survey that the Ministry does showed that the best deposits for it were basically Manitoulin (already being quarried), the Escarpment (already being quarried) and this A-grade farmland. Or, go somewhere that would require shipping the dolostone in for at least 1.5x the cost (and usually double or triple).

I have a hard time landing on this issue - as someone pointed out above, the potatoes going into US potato chips is a bit of a herring, as much as it is true. But, we're not exactly facing a potato shortage - these are things that grow in flood or famine - and for Big American Conglomerate to sell those potatoes to Canadian grocery stores would just have pissed off the OFA, advocate for the "small farmer".

The water table issue was really the biggest thing for me. There was an engineering plan to divert and then re-vest the water back into the water table, but there's never any guarantee digging that deep that you don't disturb the well water sources of surrounding properties. They tried the guarantees in Milton 10-15 years ago, and water wells dried up anyway. It's troubling.

Environmentalists liked to claim that there would be water pollution up the yin yang as a result of the quarry. Forgetting, of course, that this quarry would be dirt, not petrochemicals. There wouldn't be fracking. And, given the current local uses of the land, pesticides should have been a greater concern than soil working its way back into the ground.

There was also a design that Highland would have been held to, that would return the land to its original use - doing a staged quarry rather than blasting the entire thing all at once. I don't know how much I bought that, but it was in the works, and left completely undiscussed.

I suppose what bugs me most is that people are claiming victory for the environment by shutting down this quarry bid - all the while, we're going to have to dig up more of the Escarpment to get this stone, if we want transportation and transit systems to be constructed and improved. It just begged for a real communications campaign, and instead it was thrown to the wolves because nobody put out both sides of the story with equal fervor.

Hieberrr

Stick with Wind, they keep on improving, but if you live in a dead or near-dead zone then maybe its not the best for you =/

I've been with them for over 2 years and it keeps improving and my monthly costs have not gone up :)
It got better in my house a day after, so I'm not too pissy anymore, LOL.

I guess the only thing bad about it right now, for me at least, is that my bars sometimes drop to 2 when I'm inside a building. But I guess it's good enough.

So, Monday, 10am, we find out if El Fordo is guilty of Conflict of Interest, and what his punishment will be.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cit...d-conflict-of-interest-decision-due-next-week
Wow, damn, he'll actually get removed from office? WHOA.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Weird request and cross-posted in BST, but does anyone have the box/inserts for Diablo III that I could buy from you? I bought the digital version, but I want the box for collection purposes. Doesn't need the CD Key. I'll come grab it wherever you like in the city.

I. FUCKING. HATE. WIND.

Complete piss off.
But how is text messaging reliability and data speeds? That's all I use my phone for. Rarely ever make phone calls anymore. I've been thinking of switching over to Wind for a while but stories like this keep me at bay.

Hieberrr

But how is text messaging reliability and data speeds? That's all I use my phone for. Rarely ever make phone calls anymore. I've been thinking of switching over to Wind for a while but stories like this keep me at bay.
Texting is flawless in my experience. It's just as good as when I was on Fido. All messaged went through without a problem and were in order. Data speeds were pretty fast IMO. Granted I was downtown, so towers were everywhere. I used it to check emails, twitter, and went on GAF, banana republic websit, checked, movie times on the cineplex website, etc... very fast (rivalling, if not sometimes faster than, wifi).

thabiz

Nothing is going to happen to the Great Pumpkin.

I will buy a beer for Justice Charles Hackland if he does. It would take titanic sized cajones to remove him from office.

Rinoa

So... last night we went to Modo cuz it was my birthday and I wanted to be fat for the whole week.

We ordered basically everything on the menu and this is what is most memorable:
- nickelback music was played
- they put aroma and flowers on their drinks but they're not that flavorful
- those booth seats can actually be moved/shifted a bit but they really need places to put jackets and bags, long restaurant is long tho
- they pretty much didn't have any of the ingredients/options on their menu and kept coming back to edit our order, after the fourth time the conversation was "what DO you have"
- only one guy is making all the food at the front, no big kitchen
- waffle batter had no flavor and was thick/breadish, I can make a better waffle myself.. I was hoping for something at least nice smelling/flavored like the eggwaffles you can get 2/$5 everywhere
- 9 dollars for a tiny shallow piece of mango cake, home made or not it was smaller than my fingers
- lot of language barrier problems (we had two chinese guys with us lol.. and still barrier) and they got one order wrong. We ordered one thing before leaving, we said "hot" several times and we assume the server wrote it down as "hot" as she said "hot". despite never saying "cold", we got a cold drink lol. And it was just that one drink, not like a list of stuff.
- payment was also an adventure, all the machines debit/credit weren't exactly working
- got a membership card which was the most mysterious thing (the verbage suggests it's got monetary value, but also a discount, but also fills up /runs out of money? no clue)
- got a slight discount cuz it was my burrfday

175909_10151378443397652_1854467946_o.jpg

milktoast

622184_10151378443527652_1561252426_o.jpg

hot green tea

135208_10151378443732652_426513188_o.jpg

waffle

680381_10151378444112652_673134720_o.jpg

lol $9 slice of mango cake

704651_10151378444277652_1338283616_o.jpg

tiny tiramisu

178162_10151378444447652_802137152_o.jpg

"rose bud"

679800_10151378444787652_1315144555_o.jpg

a drink called "beauty skin" cup or something with flowers

704246_10151378445162652_166777655_o.jpg

green apple green tea

54338_10151378445262652_1880549609_o.jpg

honey green tea (ordered both cold and hot, it has an aroma to it)

703620_10151378443882652_1256875970_o.jpg

card

I think we'll stick to TenRen for dessert+bbtea due to them actually having what's on menu. None of the drinks here had tapioca it seemed, bilingual menu had a lot of typos that made it a little mysterious to order. But will maybe come back due to the location being convenient if we just want to sit and drink.. problem is I don't know what I'd even order next time I go.

thabiz

So... last night we went to Modo cuz it was my birthday and I wanted to be fat for the whole week.

- those booth seats can actually be moved/shifted a bit but they really need places to put jackets and bags, long restaurant is long tho
- they pretty much didn't have any of the ingredients/options on their menu and kept coming back to edit our order, after the fourth time the conversation was "what DO you have"
- waffle batter had no flavor and was thick/breadish, I can make a better waffle myself.. I was hoping for something at least nice smelling/flavored like the eggwaffles you can get 2/$5 everywhere
- 9 dollars for a tiny shallow piece of mango cake, home made or not it was smaller than my fingers
- lot of language barrier problems (we had two chinese guys with us lol.. and still barrier) and they got one order wrong. We ordered one thing before leaving, we said "hot" several times and we assume the server wrote it down as "hot" as she said "hot". despite never saying "cold", we got a cold drink lol. And it was just that one drink, not like a list of stuff.
- payment was also an adventure, all the machines debit/credit weren't exactly working
- got a membership card which was the most mysterious thing (the verbage suggests it's got monetary value, but also a discount, but also fills up /runs out of money? no clue)

Happy Bday.

Sounds like you had a great experience ;)

If i heard nickelback in a nice restaurant, i would have turned and walked straight out the door.

scogoth

I think we'll stick to TenRen for dessert+bbtea due to them actually having what's on menu. None of the drinks here had tapioca it seemed, bilingual menu had a lot of typos that made it a little mysterious to order. But will maybe come back due to the location being convenient if we just want to sit and drink.. problem is I don't know what I'd even order next time I go.

Completely unrelated to bbtea but funniest typo is Don Don izakaya where cocktail got cut off so it says BIG COCK instead.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems to be a lot of phone deals going on today around the GTA and outside.

Gonna go check it out. Be happy for me folks! I may actually get a phone for the first time in my life.

No more blackberry!

jokkir

Texting is flawless in my experience. It's just as good as when I was on Fido. All messaged went through without a problem and were in order. Data speeds were pretty fast IMO. Granted I was downtown, so towers were everywhere. I used it to check emails, twitter, and went on GAF, banana republic websit, checked, movie times on the cineplex website, etc... very fast (rivalling, if not sometimes faster than, wifi).

My experience has been alright so far. Some of my texts don't go through and it doesn't tell me until I restart my phone and data has been spotty random times and random places. I also had problems of when my phone is connecting something on the internet and if it doesn't connect, my signal drops completely and has to take a bit of time to reconnect.

I'm not sure if it's my phone to blame since I installed a custom ROM on my phone (CM10) but those problems have never happened when I was on Mobilicity. Though, with that said, the data speeds are faster than Mobilicity when it's not being slowed down.

sounds like an adventure, happy birthday.

No more blackberry!
welcome to today!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
welcome to today!

Of course I shouldn't have gone to Futureshop first, they wouldn't give me a thing. And then Rogers told me to call back after I got put up to retention (wtf?). To the Rogers store after work then.

I've decided the fallback is the Galaxy S3 but now I want the Note 2, mostly because my brother is ripping on me that I'd be carrying around a brick.

Of course I shouldn't have gone to Futureshop first, they wouldn't give me a thing. And then Rogers told me to call back after I got put up to retention (wtf?). To the Rogers store after work then.

I've decided the fallback is the Galaxy S3 but now I want the Note 2, mostly because my brother is ripping on me that I'd be carrying around a brick.

What kind of contract are you going to sign? What are you looking for?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Answer bigjonsson dammit!!!!

Odd they would tell you to call back if you got escalated to retentions...you would think they'd try to keep you hooked.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
What kind of contract are you going to sign? What are you looking for?

Answer bigjonsson dammit!!!!

Odd they would tell you to call back if you got escalated to retentions...you would think they'd try to keep you hooked.

Just take your seat Kuro, just take your seat!

Frankly I don't really care how long a contract I sign I just want preferrably the Note 2. I heard the rogers store at promenade is given out some dirt cheap prices so I'm going to check it out.

To sum it up I just want to spend the least amount of money possible for the Note 2 and that's that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just take your seat Kuro, just take your seat!

Frankly I don't really care how long a contract I sign I just want preferrably the Note 2. I heard the rogers store at promenade is given out some dirt cheap prices so I'm going to check it out.

To sum it up I just want to spend the least amount of money possible for the Note 2 and that's that.
We'll see if there's anything left of you for kraftwerk next time, bub

Rinoa

Thanks everyone! Doing new sky peking duck tonight!

Happy Bday.

Sounds like you had a great experience ;)

If i heard nickelback in a nice restaurant, i would have turned and walked straight out the door.

The music was quiet enough to not notice, but still. Nickelback.

Completely unrelated to bbtea but funniest typo is Don Don izakaya where cocktail got cut off so it says BIG COCK instead.

LOL yeah, this had stuff like "mongo" for mango and "source" for sauce. List of bad typos went on and on.

That was the worst American Thanksgiving I've ever been to. So much bad shit happened. I'm so depressed but very relieved to be back home. Things can only get better from here.

kakO5.jpg

Top Bottom