• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:
I wish I had an accent that awesome.. :(

I actually buzz my hair down to a 1, or 2 every couple of weeks, so I haven't been in a barber in over a decade. Low maintenance, saves money, and I can come in after it's been raining and can dry my hair with one stroke of the hand.
1 or 2? Why so long? I don't use a guard at all. I would go completely bald if I wasn't afraid of nicking my head all the time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Completely bald is too much work to make sure it's really smooth (and cutting yourself like you said), and my wife says I would look like a mental patient. ;_;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
New design unveiled for the streetcars, which are 'on track' to hit Toronto in 2013.

"If you're keen on checking out the vehicles in person, the TTC will be showing off a mock-up of the front half of the vehicle from November 12-15 (10 a.m. to 7 p.m.) at the Hillcrest yards."

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/11/ttc_reveals_new_streetcar_design/

2011114-new-streetcar-street-View.jpg

2011114-Accessible-Doorway.jpg

2011114-Accessible-Module-1.jpg

2011114-Front-Module.jpg

2011114-Rear-facing-Front.jpg

whitehawk

Banned
Dyno said:
If you're downtown then the best place is the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay St. just north of Dundas St. Old Timey shop with big leather chairs and other manly appointments. Best shave in the city. The hair cuts are 22 dollars total.
Stet said:
^ My god, man.

Terminal Barbershop at Bay and Dundas. It's $22 or something, it's a real barbershop and they also do straight-razor shaves. They shave the back of your neck included with that haircut price, too.
Interesting, I was thinking of going to this place. My brother goes there a lot. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think it would be awesome if they stuck a couple small LCD monitors in the trains, like they have on the platforms. They could display news, weather, the upcoming stop, etc. A shame it won't happen.

Rinoa

Hieberrr said:
Goa haircuts by Christie station. Its a korean hair salon, but ive seen a looooooot of non-adians get yheir haircuts herr. Its literally around the corner. Get your hair cut by anyone except the old lady. $15 (fot men) includes hairwash and styling.

I love this place!

Mona hairdesign (blonde lady at 1 christie) also does good non-azn haircuts in the area. She's done some epic hairstyles too. My regular haircut/dye is now by Oskar and Ethan of Oskar on Scollard. Their price range is 10x as much as yours though.

Ethan does great haircuts for guys, and his cuts are made to grow out really well. My boyfriend had his haircut in like January, then another haircut in September. It was long as Sawyer from LOST but still looked good.

edit:
how does the ins/outs of the rear doors on the new streetcars work? will it have amsterdam's blocking thingos installed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi32FCuX1sE&feature=related

BKXB

Economist
Alcoori said:
Hi there Torontonians

I took advantage of the offer Porter has for its 5th year anniversary (50% off of plane tickets, until Nov 4th for those interested) and booked a flight to Toronto! I'll be visiting a friend and it's gonna be my first trip since I moved to the NYC from Europe so I'm pretty excited.

I have a question that I don't think was answered in the first few posts of this thread. Where and how is the gay life in Toronto? Is there any bar/club I should go to while I'm there?
I'm more of a loungy/fun bar kinda guy, not really into big warehouse-type clubs or seedy ones where guys are basically fucking on the dancefloor.

Not sure if anyone can answer that but I thought I'd try!

Also, is there any places I could get a fairly typical poutine? I know it's more of a Quebec kinda thing (at least I think) but I'm sure they must be good places for that in Toronto, right?

Aside from the Village, I've heard that the Ossington strip has some gay bars. It's much further west, but would likely be more loungy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunarworks said:
2011114-Front-Module.jpg

Backwards seats? WHY?

Anyway, I just heard the Leafs are in first place. What is going on?

Sure makes it look like this section won't have very much room for standing. And now I get to face those weirdos on the streetcar clipping their nails, eating, coughing, and smirking. ;_;

Brandson

I like how it looks like you can exit at the back of the streetcar, unlike in the current ones where if you go stand or sit at the back it's impossible to get back to the doors to get out when the streetcar is full.

I don't like how all the vertical handrails curve away from you like in the new subways, making them harder to reach when the car is full, and there's no high grab bar running down the middle of the car so people sandwiched in the middle are screwed again. All subways, streetcars, and buses should have high bars all along the middle of each car, and yet the new ones don't, or in the case of the new subways, don't do it the whole length of the car. It's so much easier to hold on to something in the last-gen subway cars compared to the new ones. It's not as big of a problem with streetcars since they're not as wide, but still, it's disappointing.

Rinoa

I've been tanking the middle whenever sandwiched cause I know other people really need to hold on to stuff. Good practice for balancing!

Fuzzy

EvilMario said:
I think it would be awesome if they stuck a couple small LCD monitors in the trains, like they have on the platforms. They could display news, weather, the upcoming stop, etc. A shame it won't happen.
Or use them as ad-space and make a little money.

Dyno

Dude stabbed in the neck with a pair of scissors in the City Hall library.

Apparently they both wanted to use a computer station and things got out of hand.

The stabber tried to walk away but the police caught him using their GUNS.

The stabbed man was taken away in an ambulance.

BROUGHT TO YOU BY DYNO-CITY-NEWS!

Fuzzy

EvilMario said:
Well, I'd obviously expect three quarters of the screen to be ad space. :p
They should just split the screen into quarters and run 4 times the ads at the same time. The TTC would be free to ride!

Dyno said:
Dude stabbed in the neck with a pair of scissors in the City Hall library.
Should've listened to Ford and closed all libraries.

lunarworks said:
2011114-Front-Module.jpg

Backwards seats? WHY?

Anyway, I just heard the Leafs are in first place. What is going on?
It's like the classy classy GO train look. Only red.

As for the Leafs, hell is currently experiencing a cold front.

But it's a long season. Could get unseasonably warm at any point.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So these new streetcars won't use those wires anymore? They're essentially modern LRTs?

Edit: Oh wait, they still use the wires.

Fuuuuu why didn't I know deadmau5 was playing the Rogers Centre tonight? FML!!!

Concert is broadcasting live on the radio (103.5) but not nearly the same experience.

7pm-2am. What a weird ass time slot. 7pm is so early. Did anyone open for him? He's already on now and I can't imagine him going for 7 hours. Also, wtf at a 7 hour show. :/

Wait nvm this show on the radio isn't even live. :/

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
Sure makes it look like this section won't have very much room for standing. And now I get to face those weirdos on the streetcar clipping their nails, eating, coughing, and smirking. ;_;
New buses in Vancouver have it and I hate sitting there x.x People always sit in the seats diagonally from each other unless the bus is full as there's so little legroom otherwise. Even if you're in a group it's annoying as a result of that.

dudeworld

Firestorm said:
New buses in Vancouver have it and I hate sitting there x.x People always sit in the seats diagonally from each other unless the bus is full as there's so little legroom otherwise. Even if you're in a group it's annoying as a result of that.

not to mention people sit like this

Oo
oO

O = person
o = empty seat

so really, this method generally reduces the amount of seats by half

I was reading an article about why the seats will be arranged like that

"The foursomes don’t so much save space as allow for the LRV components underneath the new low-floor vehicles"

So I guess they did it because it made it easier to store the mechanicals underneath the section where the seats are back to back.
Maybe there still could have been a way to do it while not having to resort to this type of seating but either way, that is the explanation.

dudeworld said:
not to mention people sit like this

Oo
oO

O = person
o = empty seat

so really, this method generally reduces the amount of seats by half
So what? People aren't going to stand around if there's an empty seat available. Have you ever been on a GO Train?

dudeworld

BladeWorker said:
So what? People aren't going to stand around if there's an empty seat available. Have you ever been on a GO Train?
I live in Edmonton and people stand around all the time even though there's 2 seats available like in my diagram

iddqd

Brandson said:
I don't like how all the vertical handrails curve away from you like in the new subways, making them harder to reach when the car is full, and there's no high grab bar running down the middle of the car so people sandwiched in the middle are screwed again. All subways, streetcars, and buses should have high bars all along the middle of each car, and yet the new ones don't, or in the case of the new subways, don't do it the whole length of the car. It's so much easier to hold on to something in the last-gen subway cars compared to the new ones. It's not as big of a problem with streetcars since they're not as wide, but still, it's disappointing.

bravo!
this pissed me off when I saw the new metro things.
I dont understand how they test those models before the mass produce them.
them must have 3 people going in and giving them a "thumbs up!'.

crimzonflame said:
Not really theres people that like to stand by the doors even if there are seats available.
For an hour and a half? Eight years of riding GO trains, I've never seen it happen, unless they're getting off at the next stop.

Takao

Banned
Sony's running another thing for some PlayStation Lounge thing:

We're excited to announce the launch of the PlayStation Lounge in EB Games’ downtown Toronto location.

Designed from the ground up, the lounge will be located on the upper level of the EB Games’ downtown location at 267 Yonge Street in Toronto, Ontario. The goal of the PlayStation lounge is to provide you with a one-stop shop for all your PlayStation needs.

In celebration of this journey, we’d like to invite all of our Canadian fans to attend the PlayStation Lounge Grand Opening event, details below:

Event Details
Sunday, November 13, 2011.
2-5 PM
267 Yonge Street, Toronto
Luke Schenn signing 2-3:30 PM / Naughty Dog signing 3:30-5 PM

Special guests will include Luke Schenn from the Toronto Maple Leafs and Robert Cogburn, Game Designer from Naughty Dog, the creators of the Uncharted® franchise. The first 100 fans to line up will receive autographed hockey pucks from Schenn and autographed Nathan Drake scarves from Cogburn.

So come out and join us for the grand opening of the lounge, have your picture taken with Ratchet from the award-winning Insomniac franchise, and pick up some autographed swag too!

Here's the Facebook deets.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
For an hour and a half? Eight years of riding GO trains, I've never seen it happen, unless they're getting off at the next stop.

To be fair, the TTC and GO Trains are vastly different creatures. I use to ride the GO from Clarkson to Union, and you're right, most people will take any seat available.

However, very few people will ask someone to move their bag on the TTC streetcar if they have it in the seat next to them and plenty of people won't even bother sitting next to someone else, especially if they're in the aisle seat.

I don't hate the design of the new seating arrangement, but it doesn't look like there's as much standing room right at that portion, as there is now. Definitely have to see the finished product before passing judgement.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Takao said:

hmmm...so I can tell another dev from ND about how disappointed I was with UC3?

Can also sneak in a disappointment about Schenn's play lately as well!

Markster

Rinoa said:
how does the ins/outs of the rear doors on the new streetcars work? will it have amsterdam's blocking thingos installed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi32FCuX1sE&feature=related
The going assumption is that it's going to be purely Proof of Purchase. You buy a ticket at a vending machine on the corner, (or just have a valid metropass) and just walk on. There would also be Presto machines to tap against inside. Some Vancouver busses allow rear-door loading like this.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Markster said:
The going assumption is that it's going to be purely Proof of Purchase. You buy a ticket at a vending machine on the corner, (or just have a valid metropass) and just walk on. There would also be Presto machines to tap against inside. Some Vancouver busses allow rear-door loading like this.

I don't think this will change anything. Along the Queen streetcar line, people board in the rear as well with some paying and some not.

I think I've been checked twice in the 14 years I've lived in this city? Personally, I think they should just do away with metro passes and tokens and just go on a pay for distance system or at least something more efficient like the octopus cards or those bus cards in Seoul.

Hop on, scan your card when you get on, scan your card when you get off. I can see this not being popular for people who need to travel long distances, but it makes more sense and cuts down on fucking change and lost tokens.

Sigh...who am I kidding? People are going to find a way to take advantage of anything here.

Takao said:

Wait, isn't that the old Kinect store location?

Kuro Madoushi said:
I think I've been checked twice in the 14 years I've lived in this city? Personally, I think they should just do away with metro passes and tokens and just go on a pay for distance system or at least something more efficient like the octopus cards or those bus cards in Seoul.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presto_card#TTC_participationThe TTC has dragged it's feet in this regard. Personally, I would think that the union won't be too pleased with such a system potentially taking out jobs.

Takao

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Wait, isn't that the old Kinect store location?

Meh, I doubt they were planning on keeping that PlayStation Lounge running year round. It'll likely be seasonal, just like the Kinect store.

Markster

Kuro Madoushi said:
I don't think this will change anything. Along the Queen streetcar line, people board in the rear as well with some paying and some not.
I thought I'd heard that the 501 was already PoP, but I don't live in town, so I wasn't going to assume. So basically it would be like that.

Personally, I think they should just do away with metro passes and tokens and just go on a pay for distance system or at least something more efficient like the octopus cards or those bus cards in Seoul.
"Doing away with" passes and tokens is entirely independent of moving to distance (and/or zone) fares.

Once they fully roll out Presto, they can then move to fare-by distance. Passes will probably stick around for a few years of overlap.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:p I'm well aware of Presto.

I'm also aware of other countries already implementing similar systems already with much larger and more complicated systems than ours.

"once they roll out Presto?" This is the TTC we're talking about here...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
501 Streetcar is POP from 7am-7pm, although the driver's will rarely open their back doors if there are few people boarding (and sometimes even if there's a hundred). I see checks maybe twice per month.

Anyone have any suggestions to get from Brampton (Bramalea and Steeles) to U of T St. George campus by public transportation? Go bus/train to union then TTC to Bloor/George is the only way I can think of but this requires a GO fare and a TTC fare and would cost me about 20 dollars a day.

I've been getting rides to school but starting in January I'm on my own. Really no idea what im going to do.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
criesofthepast said:
Anyone have any suggestions to get from Brampton (Bramalea and Steeles) to U of T St. George campus by public transportation? Go bus/train to union then TTC to Bloor/George is the only way I can think of but this requires a GO fare and a TTC fare and would cost me about 20 dollars a day.

I've been getting rides to school but starting in January I'm on my own. Really no idea what im going to do.
20 a day? Assuming you're a student, why not go into res?

Top Bottom