• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kuro Madoushi said:
My experience with the time estimates is they're wrong or wonky...went from 2 min to 6 min to 2 min once.

I'll have to check this GPS tracked streetcars/buses thing though.

I tried their 'text #### to ### to find out the time of the next streetcar' and the bastards never txted me back.
That's because it's based on where the streetcar *is*, not how fast it may or may not be travelling.

Theoretically, a St. Clair streetcar that is at Dufferin will reach Bathurst in about five minutes. Realistically, it can take anywhere from 2 (all greens, no stops) to ...infinity (streetcar collides or derails.)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Roto13 said:
What I want to know is how this has managed to stay out of Community for so long.

Did I just jinx it?
I don't care where they put it since I'm already subscribed to this thread.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We'd maintain a pretty good flow of traffic for that reason, we have a lot of subscribers. But it would limit new traffic that might stumble upon this thread. At least until I put |OT3| up in Off-Topic.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, Roto joined the IRC at least!

We've been talking about the news story that Rogers is going to test 'pick and pay' cable in Ontario. I think this means Rogers is really feeling the pressure from streaming services and they're actually going to start changing their business model. I'll never subscribe to anything from Rogers directly (I hope), but this could be a good step in breaking the model the large telcoms have in place.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...st-pick-and-pay-tv-in-ontario/article2221633/

Alcoori

Hi there Torontonians

I took advantage of the offer Porter has for its 5th year anniversary (50% off of plane tickets, until Nov 4th for those interested) and booked a flight to Toronto! I'll be visiting a friend and it's gonna be my first trip since I moved to the NYC from Europe so I'm pretty excited.

I have a question that I don't think was answered in the first few posts of this thread. Where and how is the gay life in Toronto? Is there any bar/club I should go to while I'm there?
I'm more of a loungy/fun bar kinda guy, not really into big warehouse-type clubs or seedy ones where guys are basically fucking on the dancefloor.

Not sure if anyone can answer that but I thought I'd try!

Also, is there any places I could get a fairly typical poutine? I know it's more of a Quebec kinda thing (at least I think) but I'm sure they must be good places for that in Toronto, right?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Alcoori said:
Hi there Torontonians

I took advantage of the offer Porter has for its 5th year anniversary (50% off of plane tickets, until Nov 4th for those interested) and booked a flight to Toronto! I'll be visiting a friend and it's gonna be my first trip since I moved to the NYC from Europe so I'm pretty excited.

I have a question that I don't think was answered in the first few posts of this thread. Where and how is the gay life in Toronto? Is there any bar/club I should go to while I'm there?
I'm more of a loungy/fun bar kinda guy, not really into big warehouse-type clubs or seedy ones where guys are basically fucking on the dancefloor.

I think we have a few members that'll be able to answer in more detail than myself, but the 'gay neighborhood' is located downtown around Church and Wellesley St. Although this is what's considered the major LGBT neighborhood, you'll find many living in other parts of the city.

Toronto is a very open and accepting place when it comes to LGBT, and you'll probably have yourself a great time. Hopefully someone can fill you in on hot spots to hit while you're here. If someone does want to write up a LGBT section for the OP, we add it in.

Roto13

Alcoori said:
Hi there Torontonians

I live in the village and this question has made me realize I know more about the local bath houses than the local gay bars and I never go to either.

I don't know if we have any popular gay bars that aren't really slutty.

I have a mug from Woody's that I use a lot and it has served me well for the past year, so you should go to Woody's.

Oh, and the gay village is on Church street, north and south of Wellesley. Gay life here is pretty active, but I'm not much help because I never take advantage of any of it.

daemonic

Banned
Everything is mostly on Church St. between Bloor and Carlton. Woody's is probably worth checking out at least once. It's 'famous' and usually pretty busy so you might like the liveliness to it. Maybe try out Boutique bar, Byzantium restaurant (in the evening after dinner it usually turns into a club), O'Grady's (pub style), or Crews & Tangos. People may suggest Fly for clubbing.. not my scene but feel free to look that one up and see if it interests you :)

Most of them are pretty up there when it comes to sluttiness (it's the village after all) so it'll be hard to escape that. My suggestion is to just walk down Church, look inside places you pass by, and go from there!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I was trying to think of a more... well, low key, for the lack of a better phrase, place and couldn't come up with one. Maybe there's somewhere outside the village that people go to though, but I'd have no idea unfortunately.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Bedbugs have me so paranoid about moving. Not even the far reaches of the city (Beaches, Bloor West) are safe. They're everywhere!

Stet

Banned
Alcoori said:
Hi there Torontonians

Also, is there any places I could get a fairly typical poutine? I know it's more of a Quebec kinda thing (at least I think) but I'm sure they must be good places for that in Toronto, right?

I also live in the gay village, though I'm not gay, but there are several places around Church / Wellesley that should serve you well. Woody's has already been mentioned, but there's also Zippers and Zelda's which recently moved to Yonge a few streets West. If you're into martinis, Byzantium is also in the area, and it's more of a resto-bar. Or, if you're more interested in an integrated gay/straight bar, Hair of the Dog is pretty good.

If you want brunch, go to the Church Street Diner just north of Wellesley on Bloor.

Alcoori said:
Hi there Torontonians

Smokes Poutinerie. The best we got and it's as good as anything you'll get in Montreal.

http://smokespoutinerie.com

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stet said:
I also live in the gay village, though I'm not gay, but there are several places around Church / Wellesley that should serve you well. Woody's has already been mentioned, but there's also Zippers and Zelda's which recently moved to Yonge a few streets West. If you're into martinis, Byzantium is also in the area, and it's more of a resto-bar. Or, if you're more interested in an integrated gay/straight bar, Hair of the Dog is pretty good.

If you want brunch, go to the Church Street Diner just north of Wellesley on Bloor.

My wife and I drop by this place once in a while for a late breakfast / brunch. Friendly service, good food, not overly expensive.

edit: Five people in the channel. Progress!

Roto13

crazy monkey said:
move out dude. Where the fuck do you live? Which area?
Church and Wellesley. The roaches weren't so bad because there were only one or two of them and we managed to kill them and there haven't been any more. :p I don't want to move now because we're planning to move to Ottawa and I don't want to have to sign another lease.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
BladeWorker said:
That's because it's based on where the streetcar *is*, not how fast it may or may not be travelling.

Theoretically, a St. Clair streetcar that is at Dufferin will reach Bathurst in about five minutes. Realistically, it can take anywhere from 2 (all greens, no stops) to ...infinity (streetcar collides or derails.)
Was referring to the subway.

Alcoori

Cool, thanks a lot everyone! I'm not against some sluttiness here and there, it's just that a place all about the drugs and smooching everyone in sight isn't really what I go for anymore (if ever).

Draff

Stet said:

Brunch at Fire on the East Side is also pretty good (Yonge and Gloucester). Their crab benny is great! I'll also throw in Hot House Cafe.

Have fun Alcoori!

Roto13 said:
we're planning to move to Ottawa

Are you gay? Every single gay person I know has moved to Toronto from Ottawa! You would be bucking the trend!
If you are not gay then I guess moving to Ottawa is alright. haha

Roto13

added_time said:
Are you gay? Every single gay person I know has moved to Toronto from Ottawa! You would be bucking the trend!
If you are not gay then I guess moving to Ottawa is alright. haha
I am gay and going against the grain. :p

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Draff said:
That's unfortunate!
(I'm from Ottawa)

Horrible city, Ottawa is just plain horrible. Worst city in Canada. I lived there 5 years and I'd rather live in hicktown, people were nicer there.

StevieP

Banned
JeFfRey said:
Horrible city, Ottawa is just plain horrible. Worst city in Canada. I lived there 5 years and I'd rather live in hicktown, people were nicer there.

What? Why is Ottawa horrible? Granted I only know Ottawa from visits and I actually like all of the history/sightseeing/etc in the relatively small town.

Dyno

Alcoori said:
Cool, thanks a lot everyone! I'm not against some sluttiness here and there, it's just that a place all about the drugs and smooching everyone in sight isn't really what I go for anymore (if ever).

The only place in the gay village that is like that is The Barn and it's open infrequently. There are a dozen bars and restaurants on Church St. between Wellesley St. and Carlton St. that are very gay but really fun and open.

http://www.globaltoronto.com/counci...+off+another+councillor/6442508161/story.html
4DBTX.png

For those new to the thread, that's our mayor in the football jersey.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Not even the Toronto team..

By the way, citizenship ceremony for me on November 15th! They didn't say what my score was on the test, just that I have an appointment to take the oath. Long live the Queen!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
EvilMario said:

By the way, citizenship ceremony for me on November 15th! They didn't say what my score was on the test, just that I have an appointment to take the oath. Long live the Queen!
After that date you better start adding u's to words for no reason or else.

BigJonsson said:
If he did make some sort of CFL bet then he clearly knows jack shit about football and should stop coaching kids
I was really hoping that it was just a Don Bosco jersey.

Doesn't look like it.

cbox

EvilMario said:

awesome!

Roto13

EvilMario said:

Woot, congrats.

EvilMario said:

Way to go, buddy!

(or is it buddeh?)

whitehawk

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good place for men's haircuts? I've been going to TopCuts for a while and I wasn't happy with my last haircut. I usually spent $20 including tip, and I'm willing to go to $30.

Here is a less common view of part of Toronto's skyline:

6275645672_43ef7ae3b2_b.jpg

Unlike most shots of Toronto which are taken of downtown from the water.. this photo is taken of midtown Toronto from a condo in Regent Park.

Dyno

whitehawk said:
Can anyone recommend a good place for men's haircuts? I've been going to TopCuts for a while and I wasn't happy with my last haircut. I usually spent $20 including tip, and I'm willing to go to $30.

If you're downtown then the best place is the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay St. just north of Dundas St. Old Timey shop with big leather chairs and other manly appointments. Best shave in the city. The hair cuts are 22 dollars total.

Stet

Banned
whitehawk said:
^ My god, man.

Terminal Barbershop at Bay and Dundas. It's $22 or something, it's a real barbershop and they also do straight-razor shaves. They shave the back of your neck included with that haircut price, too.

Hieberrr

whitehawk said:
Goa haircuts by Christie station. Its a korean hair salon, but ive seen a looooooot of non-adians get yheir haircuts herr. Its literally around the corner. Get your hair cut by anyone except the old lady. $15 (fot men) includes hairwash and styling.

I love this place!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DopeyFish said:
evilmario... just wondering... you're from australia yes?

I wish I had an accent that awesome.. :(

whitehawk said:

I actually buzz my hair down to a 1, or 2 every couple of weeks, so I haven't been in a barber in over a decade. Low maintenance, saves money, and I can come in after it's been raining and can dry my hair with one stroke of the hand.

Top Bottom