• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

StevieP

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Fuuuuu why didn't I know deadmau5 was playing the Rogers Centre tonight? FML!!!

Concert is broadcasting live on the radio (103.5) but not nearly the same experience.

7pm-2am. What a weird ass time slot. 7pm is so early. Did anyone open for him? He's already on now and I can't imagine him going for 7 hours. Also, wtf at a 7 hour show. :/

Wait nvm this show on the radio isn't even live. :/

Yeah, they wouldn't let the station broadcast the concert live :(

hmmm...so I can tell another dev from ND about how disappointed I was with UC3?

Can also sneak in a disappointment about Schenn's play lately as well!

What the hell's wrong with UC3? It's been getting rave reviews!
(... sigh... Leafs)

Rinoa

added_time said:
The leaves in the Annex side streets are so pretty this time of year!

I was just at the Bochner institute this morning and I couldn't help but stare out the bay windows the whole time, it was just so pretty outside. The leaves, the reds and the golds, colours errwhere!!! And the weather is still so mild.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
StevieP said:
What the hell's wrong with UC3? It's been getting rave reviews!
(... sigh... Leafs)
I'm a huge fan of it (and the Leafs)

I got the CE of UC3

- Story is disjointed
- Wave after wave of enemies
- Aiming sucks
- Just felt like all flash and no substance

Can't get into more specifics without spoilers.

StevieP

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm a huge fan of it (and the Leafs)

I got the CE of UC3

- Story is disjointed
- Wave after wave of enemies
- Aiming sucks
- Just felt like all flash and no substance

Can't get into more specifics without spoilers.

Isn't all flash no substance the basic MO of the Uncharted series? lol Like playing a movie... you go in expecting that.

It's like watching Independence Day vs Forrest Gump. Independence Day was awesome, but Forrest Gump is a masterpiece in more than just a balls-to-the-wall action sense.

Please stop talking about Uncharted (unless the game takes place inside Toronto Subway tunnels or something)

Are there ANY games that go into our Subway tunnels? lol

I actually kind wish Rockstar would make a GTA game in Toronto, but we all know that $100 million dollar games require "safe" investments =\

StevieP said:
I actually kind wish Rockstar would make a GTA game in Toronto, but we all know that $100 million dollar games require "safe" investments =\
Ya, that joke was going around a few years ago - "GTA: GTA"

StevieP said:
Isn't all flash no substance the basic MO of the Uncharted series? lol Like playing a movie... you go in expecting that.

It's like watching Independence Day vs Forrest Gump. Independence Day was awesome, but Forrest Gump is a masterpiece in more than just a balls-to-the-wall action sense.

Are there ANY games that go into our Subway tunnels? lol

Which sucks since we are getting a rotation of the same environments.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1082585--cyclist-killed-in-collision-with-truck-in-west-end?bn=1

A cyclist was killed late Monday morning after she was hit by a truck in the city’s west end.

The accident happened around 11:30 a.m. near the intersection of Dundas St. W. and Sterling Rd., according to Toronto EMS deputy commander Dan Hunter.

The name of the victim was not immediately released, but Police believe she was a Toronto resident in her forties.

The truck and the bicycle were making a right turn from Sterling Rd. to Dundas St. W. when the woman was brushed by the side of the truck and thrown into the rear wheels of the truck, said police Const. Hugh Smith.

“It’s one of these preventable collisions. We have two road users going the same direction, making the same turn, the most vulnerable road user here being the cyclist. No matter who’s at fault, we’ve lost a life here,” said Smith.

The bicycle had a trailer attached to it and two sets of helmets were found at the scene, but Police have confirmed only one cyclist was involved in the accident.

“I heard a thump, looked at the road and saw the truck wobbling out. I also saw something on the ground and what looked like a bike, and just called 911,” said Paul Leonardo, the manager of an equipment rental store across the street from the scene of the accident.

“When I saw the fire truck, I saw one of the firemen, he took off his jacket, he looked distraught and sat on the edge of the fire truck,” said Mr. Leonardo, who was considering closing his shop for the rest of the day.

The accident occurred where the south end of the West Toronto Railpath trail meets Dundas St. W., just west of Lansdowne Ave.

Dundas St. W. is closed to traffic in both directions between Sorauren and Lansdowne Aves., and is expected to remain closed for several hours, said Toronto police Sgt. Mark Tilley.

The TTC is diverting the 506 Carlton and the 505 Dundas streetcars, turning back at Lansdowne.

Pretty close to me, since I frequent Roncy and the 506 quite a bit. Big bike lane there, and a lot of people take either College, or Dundas downtown via bicycle. If I did ride a bicycle in the city, I'd be a nervous wreck trying to be extra cautious because too many cars don't give a shit. But likewise, I find a lot of cyclist don't give a shit either, but they're the ones that end up on the worst end of any accident. Sad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
criesofthepast said:
Going into residency wasn't the answer I was looking for. I'm 25 not 18.

Carpooling would definitely be the cheapest option if you can find someone. You're not 'too far' off from some TTC bus routes (ie; ride bike, even in winter), and you could avoid the GO. Although it would probably double commute time, but if the money is more important then I guess it's a good move.

EvilMario said:
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1082585--cyclist-killed-in-collision-with-truck-in-west-end?bn=1

Pretty close to me, since I frequent Roncy and the 506 quite a bit. Big bike lane there, and a lot of people take either College, or Dundas downtown via bicycle. If I did ride a bicycle in the city, I'd be a nervous wreck trying to be extra cautious because too many cars don't give a shit. But likewise, I find a lot of cyclist don't give a shit either, but they're the ones that end up on the worst end of any accident. Sad.

My GF was walking our dog there right after it happened.

That's such a scary area for bikers even though there's a bike lane. The entrance to Sterling is super wide (at least 4 lanes worth of space) and people just coast past the stop sign or make high speed hairpin turns into there all the time. Add in speeding morons because there's nothing of significance to slow down for, lots of blind corners and bad viewing angles because of the bridge curve and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Roto13

If I had to stay in a college or university residence I'd probably turn into a serial killer. My prey: drunk sluts.

artist

Banned
What are the best scenic drives to observe the fall colors? I know its pretty late now but I still see great yellow/orange/red hues in the Don valley parkway, there is still time!

EvilMario said:
Carpooling would definitely be the cheapest option if you can find someone. You're not 'too far' off from some TTC bus routes (ie; ride bike, even in winter), and you could avoid the GO. Although it would probably double commute time, but if the money is more important then I guess it's a good move.
I guess thats my only option. Find a way to get to a TTC route and get a metropass. Would be the cheapest option too. The hard part is getting to a TTC route as they are just out of walking reach. Summer is more doable but winter is going to be tough. My closest TTC route is at terminal 1 by the airport. Express rocket to kipling station then subway to st george. Damn. Was hoping there would be something else. Guess thats it. I live about 5 km from terminal 1 though, so I still gotta find a way to get there without spending much money. Really wanted to avoid getting on two busses and paying two fares.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
irfan said:
What are the best scenic drives to observe the fall colors? I know its pretty late now but I still see great yellow/orange/red hues in the Don valley parkway, there is still time!

There are some beautiful, albeit, short drives near the Humber (Home Smith Park Rd). More east, Rosedale Valley Rd is always beautiful.

Rather than driving, I'd say go on foot / bicycle into some of the parks and ravines. Cedarvale Ravine and David A Balfour Park are both very beautiful walks that feel like you're out of the city. The west end of High Park is great as well, and of course the Scarborough Bluffs impress any time of the year.

Roto13

Nintendo's doing a Zelda pre-launch event at the Eaton Centre on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. First 150 people to show up on the 18th and 19th get a wristband to buy Skyward Sword at 9PM on the 19th. Doesn't really seem worth it, since the game comes out three hours later. :p I dunno.

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
Nintendo's doing a Zelda pre-launch event at the Eaton Centre on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. First 150 people to show up on the 18th and 19th get a wristband to buy Skyward Sword at 9PM on the 19th. Doesn't really seem worth it, since the game comes out three hours later. :p I dunno.
Man I need midnight launch locations stat.

a176

Banned
EvilMario said:

i want to understand how such a senseless death occured. either the truck driver approached after the biker and completely ignored her, or she didn't understand to leave trucks the fuck alone when they are making turns. sad :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
You shall not turn Toronto-Age into another Uncharted 3 thread. Begone, demons!
I don't listen to Leaf haters.

I'll disappoint on UC3 all I please damn you very much! :mad:

What midnight launches have actually happened at Eaton Centre?

I don't keep track since picking it up at midnight means nothing since I'd have to go to work tomorrow and wouldn't be able to play it anyways.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
BladeWorker said:
Why the hate? Because we value the long-standing history of the team and reward them with our loyalty?
No, because the Cup parade is already planned for this year.

Fuzzy said:
May I assert that it's not the fans who are planning the parade, but the Toronto Star and MLSE?

Any fan with half a brain saw what the Leafs are truly capable of on Saturday night. We know better than to plan a cup parade ever, after 40 years of waiting.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh, don't get so bent out of shape. Being from the Bay Area, all the teams there (except for the Giants now) are built on the legacies of those from decades ago, so I know how that goes. I'll lump the Leafs into the Cowboys and Cubs group of professional teams who keep on losing, but boast like they're royalty.

Fan 'loyalty' shouldn't be blind though if you're being raped on ticket prices by an origination that for years was more interested in profit revenues than putting a competitive team on the ice. Buying up players that were in the twilight of their careers to make a run at the 8th seed seemed like common practice for nearly a decade. Now for the last few years at least they're trying to build up the team the right way, which is paying dividends.

BUT regardless, I was just poking a bit of fun at the Leafs
I don't hate the players on the team, or fans.. ownership and related media though..
, but as you've proven Leafs Nation is serious business. :/

Fuzzy said:
Welcome to "the start of the season". The Leafs will start sucking time any time now, and the fans will soon retreat to their man caves.

ZZMitch

lunarworks said:
Welcome to "the start of the season". The Leafs will start sucking time any time now, and the fans will soon retreat to their man caves.

I have a bet that the Leafs will make the playoffs... I saw their record and thought they were pretty good. I don't really know anything about hockey I guess. This is what I get for going to school in Canada!

A photographer broke into the old Hearn Generating Station and noticed they are set up to film a movie there

6321141604_47c58fb2dd_b.jpg

6326154420_a3e50fda9f_b.jpg

6320554813_96cb28f3da_b.jpg

The Russians are coming!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Very cool. The photographer isn't worried about being noticed (if he did indeed break in without consent) by publishing those photos?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
BladeWorker said:
May I assert that it's not the fans who are planning the parade, but the Toronto Star and MLSE?

Any fan with half a brain saw what the Leafs are truly capable of on Saturday night. We know better than to plan a cup parade ever, after 40 years of waiting.

I'd actually say the only people "planning the parade" are the Leaf haters who have been using that one for decades now anytime the Leafs win any game.

Fan 'loyalty' shouldn't be blind though if you're being raped on ticket prices by an origination that for years was more interested in profit revenues than putting a competitive team on the ice. Buying up players that were in the twilight of their careers to make a run at the 8th seed seemed like common practice for nearly a decade. Now for the last few years at least they're trying to build up the team the right way, which is paying dividends.

Not a shot at you EvilMario but I never understood this from people. Of course MLSE wants to make the most profit possible, they're a business. But anyone saying they want to do this while not ice a competitive team is contradicting themselves.

Why would they purposely field a team that doesn't make the playoffs because they are content with the regular season revenues? Would they not make more with a team that consistently makes the playoffs and/or consistently goes deep in said playoffs? That makes the most sense to me. But why haven't they iced a good enough team these last 7-8 years? Simple, upper management are idiots who think they know what is needed to make a championship team.

Our last GM (John Ferguson Jr.) has been on record saying he did want to start over with the team but upper management wouldn't let him, it took Burkey coming in here to finally right the ship. They're still a far way off but as you said they're going in the right direction...

Sorry got a bit wordy there.

Top Bottom