• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
LakeEarth said:
This news is so horrible. I literally have to stop using the internet the way I do now because Bell wants to make more money.

And Rogers is only a few months behind.

Rexdale represent. I wish I could add to to the food section right now but I know the places to eat for the follwoing foods: Indian (north and south), Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese (plus hakka), Japanese, Shwarma and West Indian (Jamaican, Trini, Guyanese). Im sure the rest of you can fill help out with the European foods.

You can diss our pizza but Toronto got international cuisine covered and if you goto the ghetto, cheap, ethic places I guarantee they taste better than the more expensive alternative.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Keep them coming, and I'll try to get them into the OP when I have time. If someone wants to write up sort bits on Things to Do in general, for visitors and city residents alike, that would also be great. I'll be writing a few of my own for Swansea/Bloor West when I have the chance.

edit: If you're recommending a place, like a food joint, just a short phrase about what it's about, why you like it, etc, would be great.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
-- Cost

Really, Mario. You should be upfront with this. Toronto is expensive and getting more expensive. We have really high property taxes, our transit system can cost 3 dollars per ride, we have PST and GST, our hydro bills are getting higher, we have a stupid bag tax, etc etc. Housing prices and available can be a bit hard to swallow at times. On the one very small plus side, the wide variety of shops here are great for bargains if you look hard enough.

I don't disagree that Toronto can be expensive, but Canada is general has a lot of rising cost with taxes in each province and food prices basically doubling within the last five years. The city does try to nickel and dime. Realistically though, property taxes are lower in Toronto than Mississauga for instances though. You're more likely to find a cheap 280k bungalow in Toronto than Mississauga as well (although Brampton is cheap.. but who wants to live in Brampton).

There are a ton of bargain including grocery stores. I do a lot of shopping in Chinatown and PAT near Christie simply because they don't have absurd prices like Sobey's. Even crap grocery stores like No Frills have been raising their prices on produce and meats to Metro/Sobey/Loblaws levels.

Transit is expensive in this city for what it is. Considering most TTC stations look like stations from Fallout 3, collectors and drivers are rude pushing, and streetcars/subways unsightliness is only usurped by the washrooms at Kipling and Kennedy stations. It is fairly expansive, for not receiving many major updates for three decades, although the subway is tiny compared to major cities of a similar size.

Compared to Vancouver, San Francisco, New York.. and various international cities, Toronto is not that far out there in terms of price.

Spl1nter said:
anybody recommend any good sushi/Japanese places. Used to go to Sushi Island on College,, close to Bathurst

How about "Sushi on Bloor"? Bloor and Bathurst, always a huge line up, small place, but delicious sushi, that's the one I usually go to with friends.
(then again I am not a sushi expert, shouldv'e kept my mouth shut)

I also agree with California Sandwiches, the one inside Portuguese village near College? good stuff!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Spl1nter said:
Forgot to mention California Sandwiches. Probably one of the best italian sandwich places in the city (multiple locations) The downsview location is close to where I live which is awesome. Also nino d'aversa on keele and finch is decent. Dont know if I trust those other manga cake woodbridge locations :)

anybody recommend any good sushi/Japanese places. Used to go to Sushi Island on College,, close to Bathurst

CJ's Lunchbox near Queen/Spadina is a good weekday spot for cheap sushi during lunch. It's good take-out sushi with very friendly staff and it's not horribly over priced. I eat at Sushi Sky on Yonge (north of College) as well. It's not the best sushi, but it's decent price.

EvilMario said:
collectors and drivers are rude pushing...

You clearly don't take the Queen East streetcar late nights or early mornings, if you could only see the bullshit these Streetcar drivers put up with with the homeless, the drunks the mentally ill (Queen and Sherbourne)on daily basis, you would maybe understand where their frustration comes from.

But to level with you a little here, we can both also point out this
]

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
EricHasNoPull said:
You clearly don't take the Queen East streetcar late nights or early mornings, if you could only see the bullshit these Streetcar drivers put up with with the homeless, the drunks the mentally ill on daily basis, you would maybe understand where there frustration comes from.

But to level with you a little here, we can both also point out this
[/IMG]

No doubt I would hate working with most of the public as well. Being cramped on the 501 every weekday evening heading west bound is also an adventure, because we get a lot of homeless that need to make it to Parkdale. None the less, these people are compensated well, and it's not just the rude punk kids, homeless people and stuck up business men they're often scowling at. It's people vacationing here, spending money in the city, and paying more fare in the system.

The booth collector who refused to tell a women at Runnymede station that they were sold out of metropasses, instead insisted on pointing at a poorly written sign handing on the window.. over and over sticks out in my mind. The women was so confused about it, and the booth collector eventually started yelling at her 'WE DON'T HAVE ANY FUCKING METROPASSES, CAN'T YOU READ?'

Not to say they're all like this. There are plenty of helpful employees. We even had a subway driver who would announce stops on the voice-over intercom and would give us a summary of the location. Or another that would sing the stops. Just like most businesses and organizations there are bad ones that give others a reputation, but I've had plenty of experiences to prove that there are quite a few in the TTCs case.

edit: Not defending the booth man who was caught napping, but apparently he had a medical condition and recently died. So, :/

I live in Pickering, but go to school at UofT downtown. It's a damn pain to commute all the way down there. One of these days (probably by next semester) I'll be living in the heart of the city.

Right now though, I think the OP needs some more food recommendations!

Restaurants (or Maybe Poutine):
[DT]Utopia- A cheap place that serves one of the better nachos and poutines in big servings!

Pubs/Bars/Clubs:
[DT]Nirvana- A bar with cheap and decent food/drinks, awesome sweet potato fries, and even better sangria. Kind of a hipster place but who cares.
[DT]Red Room- A lot like Nirvana, except maybe less polished and more student-oriented (it's close to UofT). Cheap food and drinks, good sangria

Anyone ever been to Osmow's Grill? It's a Mediterranean restaurant. There is one in Brampton (last time I went the owners fine ass daughter was always working on cash. I think the family is Egyptian, not sure) and one in Mississauga.

Best schwarmas ever. I usually get the souvlaki, fries, and salad meal, though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
crimzonflame said:
Uh Gandhi Roti aint Indian/Pakistani.

I was under the impression lots of the food was East Indian influenced. But I'll wait for people to fill me in.

By the way, feel free to give input on how you want these sorted. Once I have more Asian places, I'll expand out to specifics, etc. I could break places down by Downtown, East, West, or just keep it as it.

Brinbe

For the Sports bits, links to what sports teams we have in town would be a nice start.

Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
Toronto Raptors - NBA
Toronto Blue Jays - MLB
Toronto FC - MLS
Toronto Argonauts - CFL
Toronto Marlies - AHL
Toronto Rock - NLL
Toronto Nationals - MLL

Also, the major venues
Rogers Centre -Jays/Argos
Air Canada Centre -Leafs/Raptors/Rock
BMO Field -TFC
Ricoh Coliseum -Marlies

And I know we already discuss our teams on here, but if they want more team-specific message boards or whatever, there's the Raps RealGM board, which is pretty popular, I suppose. As well as the HF Leafs board.

Both can be fun to read at times, as they usually can give insight into the typical fan thinking in this city. (which can be hilarious/sad, often both).

I'm not sure if the Jays have a prominent board nowadays, but DrunkJaysfans should suffice. I'm sure Doytch and others could recommend better alternatives out there, if they exist. Also, the TFC board on BigSoccer is what I usually read from time to time, but again, I'm sure there may be better alternatives people know about.

Anyway, just a start and I'm sure others can add/improve to that.

rinse82

Salad King for some boss Thai Food.

I believe they're re-opening just north on Yonge above the foot locker.

I live up in Richmond Hill but work down by yonge/bloor

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for collecting a list of those sites, Brinbe. Just what I was going to do. I'll put them in the OP in a bit.

rs7k

I grew up in Toronto and I went to high school in Barrie. It's a great city, but it's certainly overrated. Everything is expensive, there's too many people, too much traffic.

I moved to northeast Alberta, about 3 hours of Edmonton, and life is sooo much better here. I wouldnt mind going back to Toronto one day since most of my friends and family live in the city, but Torontonians in general seem to have this idea that they're in the best place to live in the country, but the truth is, almost every major city in Canada is a much better place (maybe save for Winnipeg, but I've only been there once).

I couldn't make ends meet in Toronto, and I know a lot of people living there in the same boat. There's a lot of jobs, but if you're not into finance or real estate, your dollar will do much better elsewhere. Toronto is a fun time if you're rich, or if you got more to borrow on your credit lines.

Going back to Ontario on holidays, I get to see it much more obviously. A lot of my friends with degrees can't get work worth more than $20 per hour. People working at Timmies where I live make between 15 and 20. The economy in T.O seems entirely reliant on the service sector. The only reason Toronto has a strong economy is because it's the largest economy in Canada.

Maybe I'm jaded for having been in the city for so long, but my sister got her Ph.D at U of T in a language program, and she couldnt even get a teaching job because of lack of experience. She's now a flight attendant with Air Canada and she dreads every time she comes back to the city.

I still dont understand how Toronto manages to have the largest numbers of tourists going to the city. Apart from the CN Tower, what exactly does Toronto have to stand out among other large cities around the world?

Anyways, I dont want to derail the thread or anything, just wanted to give my opinion on Toronto.

Joule

Restaurants
[DT]Xe Lua (aka Pho Train): A pretty good place to have pho. Inexpensive and good portions. My favourite pho place by far.

Hobby/Comics/Anime/Etc
[DT/NorthYork]Hairy Taruntula: One of the little hobby shops around the downtown area. Their prices are pretty okay and have some good sales at times too.

Video Games
[DT]Gamecentre: Probably the best game shop in downtown Toronto. While the prices can't really compare to Amazon and the like, it's still pretty decent most of the time for buying games or related hardware. Their service is also pretty good.

grumble said:
Explain that?

When you see a Roti Shop in the GTA those are West Indian/Caribbean shops. Thats where you get doubles from which is a Trini/Guyanese dish. Trini doubles are more sweet where as Guyanese doubles are more sour and dry.

Also I know the best strip clubs and massage parlors.

Joule said:
Hobby/Comics/Anime/Etc
[DT/NorthYork]Hairy Taruntula: One of the little hobby shops around the downtown area. Their prices are pretty okay and have some good sales at times too.

Video Games
[DT]Gamecentre: Probably the best game shop in downtown Toronto. While the prices can't really compare to Amazon and the like, it's still pretty decent most of the time for buying games or related hardware. Their service is also pretty good.

Game Centre is pretty good, but I've gotta disagree on it being the best. [DT] A&C Games is way better. They specialize in retro and hard to find games. Want a NES, or even Famicom, and don't want to use eBay? That's where you go.

As for comics, [DT] The Beguiling can't be beat. It's renowned throughout North America, and it's virtually the birthplace of Scott Pilgrim (the owner is the real life "Wallace".)

[DT] Silver Snail is a good comic shop if all you want to do is shop. It's not as friendly and personal as your neighbourhood comic shop, but it's clean and uncluttered, like a music store chain type feeling.

For anime, manga, and all related goods, [DT] AnimeXtreme is a fairly good choice.

Spl1nter

EricHasNoPull said:
How about "Sushi on Bloor"? Bloor and Bathurst, always a huge line up, small place, but delicious sushi, that's the one I usually go to with friends.
(then again I am not a sushi expert, shouldv'e kept my mouth shut)

I also agree with California Sandwiches, the one inside Portuguese village near College? good stuff!

Been to sushi on bloor. Found sushi island better quality, however it has declined since it went under new ownership. Ya I think that was one of the original California sandwich locations but I go to the one in downsview.

Joule

lunarworks said:
Game Centre is pretty good, but I've gotta disagree on it being the best. [DT] A&C Games is way better. They specialize in retro and hard to find games. Want a NES, or even Famicom, and don't want to use eBay? That's where you go.

As for comics, [DT] The Beguiling can't be beat. It's renowned throughout North America, and it's virtually the birthplace of Scott Pilgrim (the owner is the real life "Wallace".)

[DT] Silver Snail is a good comic shop if all you want to do is shop. It's not as friendly and personal as your neighbourhood comic shop, but it's clean and uncluttered, like a music store chain type feeling.

For anime, manga, and all related goods, [DT] AnimeXtreme is a fairly good choice.

I haven't been to A&C before but I have heard of it. I'll have to take a look there sometime. The Beguiling is pretty great. I haven't been there in awhile.

AnimeXtreme doesn't really seem that good. Even the Kikiwa that used to be in CTC I thought was better.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Why not a Canada-age thread ? Why must you discriminate against non-Toronto Canadians ? :(

grumble

NetMapel said:
Why not a Canada-age thread ? Why must you discriminate against non-Toronto Canadians ? :(

Would be kind of hard to recommend places to eat in toronto in a canada-age thread.

dudeworld

NetMapel said:

because basically there's "Toronto" and then there's "Rest of Canada"

It takes 1 thread to cover Toronto, and another thread to cover the rest.

For video games check out the various flea markets across the GTA. I usually get games weekend before release, no tax and $5 cheaper then retail.

For Indian food I have to reccomend Indian Kiss at keele and dundas west. Take out only, but some of the best indian food I've had outside of India

crimzonflame said:
When you see a Roti Shop in the GTA those are West Indian/Caribbean shops. Thats where you get doubles from which is a Trini/Guyanese dish. Trini doubles are more sweet where as Guyanese doubles are more sour and dry.

Also I know the best strip clubs and massage parlors.

The rotis from Gandhi's are a hybrid: while the idea of a roti is obviously Caribbean, the fillings at Gandhi's - butter chicken, saag paneer etc. - are definitely North Indian.

somuchwater said:
The rotis from Gandhi's are a hybrid: while the idea of a roti is obviously Caribbean, the fillings at Gandhi's - butter chicken, saag paneer etc. - are definitely North Indian.

I guess I should have read that article.

House of Lancaster is a good strip club.

Joule said:
AnimeXtreme doesn't really seem that good. Even the Kikiwa that used to be in CTC I thought was better.
For what it is, AnimeXtreme is alright.

KiKiWai was great, but it's long gone.

rs7k said:
I grew up in Toronto and I went to high school in Barrie. It's a great city, but it's certainly overrated. Everything is expensive, there's too many people, too much traffic.

I moved to northeast Alberta, about 3 hours of Edmonton, and life is sooo much better here. I wouldnt mind going back to Toronto one day since most of my friends and family live in the city, but Torontonians in general seem to have this idea that they're in the best place to live in the country, but the truth is, almost every major city in Canada is a much better place (maybe save for Winnipeg, but I've only been there once).

I couldn't make ends meet in Toronto, and I know a lot of people living there in the same boat. There's a lot of jobs, but if you're not into finance or real estate, your dollar will do much better elsewhere. Toronto is a fun time if you're rich, or if you got more to borrow on your credit lines.

Going back to Ontario on holidays, I get to see it much more obviously. A lot of my friends with degrees can't get work worth more than $20 per hour. People working at Timmies where I live make between 15 and 20. The economy in T.O seems entirely reliant on the service sector. The only reason Toronto has a strong economy is because it's the largest economy in Canada.

Maybe I'm jaded for having been in the city for so long, but my sister got her Ph.D at U of T in a language program, and she couldn't even get a teaching job because of lack of experience. She's now a flight attendant with Air Canada and she dreads every time she comes back to the city.

I still dont understand how Toronto manages to have the largest numbers of tourists going to the city. Apart from the CN Tower, what exactly does Toronto have to stand out among other large cities around the world?

Anyways, I dont want to derail the thread or anything, just wanted to give my opinion on Toronto.

Actually you didn't derail the thread, even if a bit opinionated it is still a pretty accurate and insightful take on the city, it is in fact seen as the "it" place to be. But seriously, considering how big and spread out the country is...Toronto could be nothing more than the "Rogers Center" and CN Tower and it will still be considered Canada's "coolest city". I think most of the hype comes from the city's geographical location and it's population, and when I say population I mean GTA included, not just metropolitan TO.

I hate to leave it at that, and not describe in more detail why living in TO is becoming more difficult with lack of real jobs, over population, expensive living cost/real estate etc. every year.

But yeah...I recently got a really good job offer in Ottawa, minimum 2 year contract and get paid 1.5 times more than I do now, I am actually still torn between taking the offer and moving to Ottawa, or just staying in TO.

Most of my friends and family are laughing at me with the most common response of "WTF is there to do in Ottawa?" "dullest city blah blah..." but seriously I really don't know which way to go...

EvilMario said:
No doubt I would hate working with most of the public as well...../

Yeah I think we both have a similar view of the TTC, I can honestly say 3 years of taking the Subway, I could never remember once a TTC toll Booth attendant being helpful to me, or caring to listen to my questions and answer them fully. something about those booths, once they sit down behind that glass, they become instant assholes or something!

On the other hand though, I never seen a bus or streetcar driver be rude to me, or just be unpleasant towards me in three years of riding the buses and the streetcar all over the city.

But I've seen a drunk whip a half full beer can at the driver's head once they exited the street car, I've seen homeless drunks throw punches at the driver for not letting them on board with just 65 cents! *insert smiley here* seen plain ol' arrogant rude business man, talk down and insult these guys numerous times for God knows whatever reasons.

rinse82

somuchwater said:
This.

Gandhi Roti is pretty indian to me.

You can fucking get vindaloo in one

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Joule said:
I haven't been to A&C before but I have heard of it. I'll have to take a look there sometime. The Beguiling is pretty great. I haven't been there in awhile.

I've been in AnimeXtreme a couple times recently. It's alright if you want to rent or you have some weird figure/gunpla kit you want to buy, but that's about it.

EricHasNoPull said:
Most of my friends and family are laughing at me with the most common response of "WTF is there to do in Ottawa?" "dullest city blah blah..." but seriously I really don't know which way to go...

For 2 years? Just go to Ottawa. Even if all you do is mooch off the free musuem visits every Friday night, you'll probably never run out of things to do if that's your worry.

Draff

If you want a nice *cheap* bowl of udon, curry or hayashi rice, I highly recommend Manpuku Modern Japanese Eatery at Village by the Grange (University Ave. and Dundas St.). If you order the noodles, make sure to order double the noodles for an extra $1.25 - definitely worth it!

Draff

EricHasNoPull said:
But yeah...I recently got a really good job offer in Ottawa, minimum 2 year contract and get paid 1.5 times more than I do now, I am actually still torn between taking the offer and moving to Ottawa, or just staying in TO.

I've lived in both cities (currently live in Toronto), and really, unless you're living in downtown Toronto, living in Ottawa isn't bad at all. Suburbs in both cities are plagued with big box stores and terrible traffic, except housing's cheaper in Ottawa.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Draff said:
If you want a nice *cheap* bowl of udon, curry or hayashi rice, I highly recommend Manpuku Modern Japanese Eatery at Village by the Grange (University Ave. and Dundas St.). If you order the noodles, make sure to order double the noodles for an extra $1.25 - definitely worth it!
Fuuuuck, been looking for curry rice downtown for a while now. Need to check it out next time I'm home.

Willectro

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Best videogame store: game centre
Best restaurants: porchetta, caplanskys, black hoof
Best bars/clubs: loose moose, brant house, drake hotel

WTF? Loose Moose? Not even in the top 100 in Toronto. Hell, maybe not even top 500. It has a good location, and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom