• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

neptunes said:
How much does Mississauga suck? What do people do here for fun? I've lived here all my life and I still can't figure it out, Square One? West 50....? what else

There's a few pubs around square one that are always rammed on weekends, the name is very foggy... Faltes or something?

Boogie

Well, Toronto, you do have a championship sports team this year.

600_national_lacrosse_rock_.jpg

The Toronto Rock are the 2011 National Lacrosse League champions!

Just got back from the championship game at the ACC. I've become something of a lacrosse fan in the past few years. My step-cousin (if that's a thing) is Bob Watson, longtime goaltender for the Toronto Rock, and had won five championships with them from 99-03.

This year was his last, as last year he took a job as a police officer for Waterloo Regional Police.

So what better way to end his career than winning another championship? And what a game! The Rock had curbstomped Washington going into the halftime, and were up 7-2. But then they sat back on their lead, which you can't do in lacrosse, and Washington came back to make it 7-6. The final score was 8-7, and Watson was the game MVP, having stood on his head the whole game making incredible saves!

I'd encourage anyone to catch some games next year. Arena lacrosse is a great sport to watch live.

Willectro

Banned
Well, I just signed the papers this afternoon with my girlfriend, and we have got a basement apartment at Pape and Danforth for $850. I am now officially part of Toronto-Gaf.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm so far removed that I have no idea if 850 is good or bad. But sitting on top of a subway station seems like it'd be worth it.

ShaneB

firehawk12 said:
I'm so far removed that I have no idea if 850 is good or bad. But sitting on top of a subway station seems like it'd be worth it.

Seems pretty fair for the location and a basement apartment.

Welcome aboard!

Biff

So was driving around Jane/Steeles this afternoon.. Probably super old news, but I actually saw construction happening with 'Subway Expansion' signs all over the place. The York campus stop and the Jane-between-Steeles-and-Hwy7 stop are excavating as we speak.

It's happening. It's actually happening! Even if you disagree with the expansion, you gotta give Ford kudos for actually getting his plans in motion this quickly.

This line personally helps me out a ton. Even the Sheppard ->Downsview expansion helps out quite a bit. From what I hear I'm in the minority, but I gotta admit, I'm impressed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
firehawk12 said:

Depends on a variety of things, because basement apartments vary in quality so much. For $850, one bedroom all inclusive seems right. We have a one bedroom for $865 in an apartment building near Bloor West Village, all inclusive.

ChefRamsay said:
It's happening. It's actually happening! Even if you disagree with the expansion, you gotta give Ford kudos for actually getting his plans in motion this quickly..

The subway expansion to York was planned WAAAY before Ford became mayor. He deserves credit for nothing.

Here is some info for you:

"Construction has begun on an extension to York University northwest of Downsview Station, and into the city of Vaughan to the proposed Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Six new stations are planned along the 8.7 km extension (6.2 km in the City of Toronto and 2.5 km in York Region). The estimated cost of this extension is $2.09 billion in 2006 dollars, which will have escalated to $2.63 billion considering costs at the year of occurrence. The Ontario government committed $670 million in its March 23, 2006, budget"

This was planned and funding was raised back in 2006. Ford has only been mayor since December 2010.

Azih

ChefRamsay said:
SIt's happening. It's actually happening! Even if you disagree with the expansion, you gotta give Ford kudos for actually getting his plans in motion this quickly.
Ford's baby is subway expansions on Sheppard. The expansion to York U and beyond have been in the work for years and is more Dalton McGuinty's project than anything else.

Edit: Beaten badly by added_time.

gimz

i have been living in Toronto for 7 years since i moved from Halifax
and this summer i will be moving away...

Toronto!! I will miss this place! and i will come back again!!

Biff

Whoops :$ My mistake!

Why did it take so long to start construction? Unless funding was just raised for planning in 2006. Then 2006 -> 2011 was engineering/design.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Median said:
If Brampton Transit merged into another transit system, I'm fairly sure a black hole of suck would be created.
As much as I hate Brampton Transit, if transit services in the GTA unified, all the world's trouble would be at peace and life would be a thousand times easier.

Oh yeah and BramptonGAFer chiming in, hopefully will pay attention to this thread more in the future.

Azih

ChefRamsay said:
Whoops :$ My mistake!

Why did it take so long to start construction? Unless funding was just raised for planning in 2006. Then 2006 -> 2011 was engineering/design.
All transit expansions take a HELL of a long time to get going. Hell we still haven't gotten the new subway cars and that's all Miller.

Biscuits

Environmental Assessments usually take 2-3 years, and that's before construction. They've been trying to cut down on those to speed up projects, so we'll see what happens with those LRT/Spadina subway extensions I guess.

ShaneB

Just wondering what others might do in this situation if looking at two rental options.

Option 1 - 2 bedroom, beautiful golf course views worth every penny, nice and quiet, all inclusive, underground parking, central air, etc...

Option 2 - slightly more expensive (100$ more), 1 bedroom, slightly less appealing view of the highway, very spacious, dishwasher, central air as well, and the building has wonderful ammenities, swimming pool, gym, incredible management and upkeep, etc..

Both are realistically out of my budget, and would make things very tight, but realize you get what you pay for, and it would be nice to be happy and proud of where I live for once.

firehawk12 said:

I pay $950 to essentially live at High Park Station.

1 Bedroom/not a basement/Includes everything but hydro.

firehawk12 said:

I pay 975 for a one bedroom right at Dupont and Bathurst. It seems way too cheap for the area but I am not complaining!

ShaneB said:
Just wondering what others might do in this situation if looking at two rental options.

Option 1 - 2 bedroom, beautiful golf course views worth every penny, nice and quiet, all inclusive, underground parking, central air, etc...

Option 2 - slightly more expensive (100$ more), 1 bedroom, slightly less appealing view of the highway, very spacious, dishwasher, central air as well, and the building has wonderful ammenities, swimming pool, gym, incredible management and upkeep, etc..

Both are realistically out of my budget, and would make things very tight, but realize you get what you pay for, and it would be nice to be happy and proud of where I live for once.

I'd take the 2 bedroom over a 1BR + amenities any day. This is assuming the 2 bedroom is as "nice" as the 1 bedroom though.

ShaneB

Blackface said:
I took the Glencarin subway every day for like 10 years.

When I was first looking for an apartment, I found the place that was a 2 minute walk to Glencairn, seemed awesome to be so close, so I jumped on the place. When I took the subway everyday, it was perfect, but I don't need that anymore.

The Interrobanger said:
I'd take the 2 bedroom over a 1BR + amenities any day. This is assuming the 2 bedroom is as "nice" as the 1 bedroom though.

The 2 bedroom is nice, the 1 bedroom is very nice. So it's all comparable.

Having a conversation at work with a friend, and coming to the realization that I should just be looking at a condo with how much I'd be paying to rent.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
lol, this is just the miserable slightly damp, but tolerable rain I don't mind.

Wait until the thunderstorms this summer, Firestorm. I hope we get some good ones.
Ugh, I've been in a weird flash storm before in Toronto years ago. It was so weird. Absolute downpour for like a few minutes then super sunny again. It was so very odd to me. I need to watch out for those...

Proc

Moving into the city come june 1st. Can't wait to wheel around on the ttc and get drunk way more often, not worrying about the drive.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Proc said:
Moving into the city come june 1st. Can't wait to wheel around on the ttc and get drunk way more often, not worrying about the drive.

Vomit comet indeed..

Oh, by the way, the best thing happened.

The Ontario Spring Water Sake Company opens its doors.

http://www.blogto.com/grocery/ontario-spring-water-sake-company-toronto

I hope it's good quality.. LCBO selection on sake (and soju) is terrible. Sakagura Canada has an okay selection, but you have to order in 6-12 bottles.

Proc

jl4855 said:
buy or rent, if you dont mind my asking

Renting in the yonge/lawrence area. Not exactly the core, but its close enough to my work and close enough to the city to hop on the subway.

Dyno

Boogie said:
The Toronto Rock are the 2011 National Lacrosse League champions!

Nice! I caught a lacrosse game last year. Good times and the tickets aren't expensive. It makes for a nice evening.

Proc

EvilMario said:
I hope it's good quality.. LCBO selection on sake (and soju) is terrible. Sakagura Canada has an okay selection, but you have to order in 6-12 bottles.

Oh cool. I've never really had a good sake. I'll have to check this place out.

whitehawk

Banned
will52 said:
Well, I just signed the papers this afternoon with my girlfriend, and we have got a basement apartment at Pape and Danforth for $850. I am now officially part of Toronto-Gaf.
You live so close to me!

ShaneB

whitehawk said:
I could be wrong, but I think you need to buy a ticket to get it, and they are sold out.

Heh, and they're sold out. Guess I should've got one a bit ago when I first checked out the link. Ah well.

Firestorm said:
Goddamn Konami would be the perfect conference to watch in a bar too.

Its a pre-party, its not during the Konami conference
E3 is the following week I believe........
But it would be epic to see last year's presser with a bunch of people

Dyno

Takao said:

Too bad the tickets are gone. I would have checked that out.

Anyway here are a couple opinion articles on the state of Toronto city planning. I work for the City of Toronto in one of the departments she speaks of, surrounded by planners and engineers. I can say that the writer accurately portrays some of the obstacles to making an interesting vibrant city.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...nd-graceless-in-toronto/article2004432/page1/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/lisa-rochon/penny-wise-cityscape-foolish/article2021288/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom