• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

BladeWorker said:
Megabus has some great deals and is the cheapest way to go.

I remember when Megabus used to have deals with Toronto to Montreal; I think it was for 5 bucks or something lol.

Those were the days :(

Biff

ShaneB said:
Apartment hunting is in full swing. Have a place to visit on friday morning. Seems like a good deal, location im familiar with, not too far, free parking, balcony, etc. Don't want to fall in the trap of just getting a place right away without making the right decisions, but it sure is nice to get things going and moving forward.
Are you looking now for a place in September? Or to sign ASAP?

I'm in the market for a September apartment. Assuming May-early June is the time to hunt?

ShaneB

ChefRamsay said:
Are you looking now for a place in September? Or to sign ASAP?

I'm in the market for a September apartment. Assuming May-early June is the time to hunt?

Pretty much ASAP. Don't want to spend another summer in the apartment I'm currently at.

Every place is different obviously, have some that get gobbled up immediately, others do have those ready to rent by restrictions.

I'm not an expert, but know it never hurts to constantly be looking.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've attended a few E3s, but none in nearly a decade now. It was a lot easier to make it down back then.. living in San Francisco.

Roto13

I would be going, but I can't really afford the flight right now. I got an invitation to Nintendo's press conference yesterday and my heart shattered into a million pieces. xP

mcrae

http://www.greaturbanrace.com/

june 18th

ow do the clues and challenges work?

Each team will be given an envelope that contains twelve clues ranging in difficulty at the start of the race.

The clue sheet will contain a mixture of clues – some physical and some mental.

During the race teams will have the option to skip one clue.

Some races contain one or more Detours, which is a choice between two checkpoints. Choose the one you think will be easier or faster (or more fun)!

There may be a clue that is mandatory. Failure to complete a mandatory clue will result in disqualification. Teams will not have the option to skip a mandatory clue.

How many teams compete in each race?

We expect the size of the races in 2011 to vary from 150 teams to 700 teams, depending on the city.

Do I have to know my city like a tour guide, or what?

Nope! Think on your feet, be ready for anything and you'll have a shot to win. Several teams qualified for the 2010 National Championship in cities in which they didn't live.

Can I participate with a group? Can I form alliances?

Absolutely. You must sign up as two-person teams, but feel free to buddy up with other teams if you're looking to have fun with a group of friends. Each team must complete their own challenges and each receive the required proof of completion per team.

theres much more information in the faq section on the website. my friend just sent this to a bunch of us on facebook, and im considering doing it. its 45$, winners finish in 1.5-2 hours, majority in 3-4, course is shut down after 5 hours. looks like fun! anyone else heard about it or considering it? i imagine a bunch of gaffers working together would do really well. all of my friends are from out of town mostly, ranging from niagara to hamilton to waterloo etc etc, but will still be fun.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
whitehawk said:
How do you guys get tickets to E3? I've always wanted to go, and one day I will.

It's stricter than it was years ago, but presenting a business permit/license, Identification, and a sample/proof of what you do can buy you a pass to the floor. You can even apply for it the day-of at E3. That's what we use to do. Really, we were only a part-time review / news site, but it was enough to give us access.

On Toronto; TTC to Giambrone: Pay up, or lose free Metropass for three years

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...r-lose-your-free-metropasses-for-three-years/

It's pretty funny that he's refusing to pay back his unwarranted cab fares, but I'm sure if they were to do an audit, they'd find even larger sums spent other questionable expenditures. The shocking part of the article though is he apparently receives free Metropasses for life now? I wonder if he'll actually use them.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:
I see no Firestorm on my list of Street Passes. ;_;
Brown guys with glasses? I'm not sure if Firestorm was my name or Creator name. I was only there from about 10:30 to 12:30 or so though.

Kunohara

I know i'm kinda late to this, but I can see what you guys are talking about in regards to driving downtown and how if you live there, everything is within walking distance. I'm sure if I lived in the core, I'd probably not want to drive around either. I don't think taking transit is for poor people. I used to take it all the time for college. I would go all the way from Kennedy and St. Clair to the Seneca campus at York with the bus. Took me 1.5 hours each way.

It's just that, now that I've been driving for about 10 years now, I can't see myself ever using transit again. I don't have the time to sit and wait for a bus, and the long commute on em.

And you guys do know that we have some of the worst commute times in North American right? It was in the Star about a year ago or so. So there is a problem with our traffic.

Anyway, all I'm saying is, it sucks that I don't have a variety of good food that is close to me (although that could be a good thing, considering that if it were, I probably wouldn't be able to control myself).

Median

AlphaTwo00 said:
The same can be said for all the other ones, like Brampton and Mississauga.

If Brampton Transit merged into another transit system, I'm fairly sure a black hole of suck would be created.

Kunohara said:
I know i'm kinda late to this, but I can see what you guys are talking about in regards to driving downtown and how if you live there, everything is within walking distance. I'm sure if I lived in the core, I'd probably not want to drive around either

I HATE driving. I grew up in Scarborough so when I turned 16 I started driving since you can't get anywhere around there without a car. One day I just decided that I don't want to drive anymore so I vowed to move to the downtown core.
I moved to the Annex around Bathurst and Bloor and I never looked back. I just take the subway everywhere or walk.
I will never have to drive or pay for a lousy car again.

PS I understand your frustration with buses. Luckily, in the core you are mostly taking subway or streetcar.

ShaneB

added_time said:
I HATE driving. I grew up in Scarborough so when I turned 16 I started driving since you can't get anywhere around there without a car. One day I just decided that I don't want to drive anymore so I vowed to move to the downtown core.
I moved to the Annex around Bathurst and Bloor and I never looked back. I just take the subway everywhere or walk.
I will never have to drive or pay for a lousy car again.

Heh, quite the opposite for me. Hate driving downtown,, but definitely enjoy having a car, so I could never imagine living downtown.

When I didn't have a car, I loved living right next to the subway, but now that I've got my car, and looking to move, I'd much rather to get outside the city and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Oppo

If you are in the city (I am - well East York) though and don't have a car, it's not like you can't ever get one. Basically I do Zipcar if it's in-city driving, and I rent a car for going out of town on the weekends. The last time I did that the car cost me $45 plus gas.

The key really is to have subway access though. I can be right downtown in 25 minutes, easy, and that includes a 10 minute walk to the subway from my house. You just cannot beat that with a car, especially when you figure in parking, and getting home drunk.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I enjoy driving. Out on the open round, cross country trips, it's all very relaxing and fun.

But there are numerous reasons I would prefer to never own a car again, and the headache of traffic is the least of it. It's a sink hole for cash. Insurance, maintenance, gas, paying for parking at the apartment, paying for parking downtown. What a nightmare for our budget. It's no wonder many people with good jobs live paycheque to paycheque. Haha.

Obviously, if you leave too far out for decent transit, it's a necessity. I grew up in a Northern California town of 1,800. So, I know what that means. Transit it lovely for us, even being 25 minutes by streetcar outside of 'the core' , because it gives me a chance to do work on my laptop coming in. Whereas driving, it will take me nearly as long to get in, and I would be stuck driving. I know a ton of people that prefer taking the GO Train in just because they can sleep, or work on the train.

By the way, buses are not as horrible as people make them out to be as long as they're on schedule. But that goes for streetcars, and even subways as well. Subways are the easiest to keep on schedule, but 'the wait' can always be tough. There are tons of applications coming out that allow you to track streetcars, subways and (soon) buses.

http://www.nextbus.com/predictor/stopSelector.jsp?a=ttc

Kunohara

The way gas prices are going, I am seriously considering taking the bus to work. Problem is, I work near the airport (Pearson), and it would take about 2 hours to get there and back.

I would save on gas, not being stuck in 401 rush hour traffic, could get alot of reading done, and also save on wear and tear on the car itself.

But man, 2 hours each way. I would barely have free time in the evening.

I can't move cause if we move closer to the airport, it would be a way longer bus ride for my wife where she works (Pape and Mortimer), and we can't exactly afford to move right now.

I keep going back and forth in my head as to whether I should do this or not. I'd have to get up at 5 in the morning if I do, which is brutal. Getting up at 6 now is bad enough.

Roto13

Kunohara said:
The way gas prices are going, I am seriously considering taking the bus to work. Problem is, I work near the airport (Pearson), and it would take about 2 hours to get there and back.

I would save on gas, not being stuck in 401 rush hour traffic, could get alot of reading done, and also save on wear and tear on the car itself.

I can't move cause if we move closer to the airport, it would be a way longer bus ride for my wife where she works (Pape and Mortimer), and we can't exactly afford to move right now.

I keep going back and forth in my head as to whether I should do this or not. I'd have to get up at 5 in the morning if I do, which is brutal. Getting up at 6 now is bad enough.
Good lord. Four hours of commute every day is pretty ridiculous. You'd pretty much do nothing but work, ride the bus/subway, and sleep.

Kunohara

Roto13 said:
Good lord. Four hours of commute every day is pretty ridiculous. You'd pretty much do nothing but work, ride the bus/subway, and sleep.

I live on the border between North York and Scarborough, near the 404. The route that TTC told me would be to take the subway to Kipling, and then take the 112C bus right to my work.

I know, I'd only have like 3 hours in the evening to do anything (which includes making dinner, washing the dishes etc). I just hate how high gas is right now, and it is just going to keep going up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kunohara said:

Do you own, or rent? If you rent, why don't you live closer to your work? So many people do these long ass commutes, just like I use to (Santa Rosa to San Jose, two and half steady hours of driving). I would leave at 5:30am just to avoid the traffic, and then sleep in the parking lot until work started at 9:00am. Haha.

Kunohara

EvilMario said:
Do you own, or rent? If you rent, why don't you live closer to your work? So many people do these long ass commutes, just like I use to (Santa Rosa to San Jose, two and half steady hours of driving). I would leave at 5:30am just to avoid the traffic, and then sleep in the parking lot until work started at 9:00am. Haha.

I rent. We've only been here for close to 3 years, and I really don't want to have to move again. Also, like I said, if we move closer to the airport, my wife will have a long bus ride, and her body can't really take that right now.

I still really gotta think about this. It would be nice not having to drive in rush hour traffic. Having an iPod is nice in the car, but I'm just getting really tired on how people drive in this city.

Wow, sleep in the parking lot? Haha, that must get uncomfortable. I couldn't do that.

ShaneB

All this take of long commute is what I'm trying to figure out as well.

While I want to move somewhere outside the city.. seems like most of my options would make it fairly nightmarish getting to and from work, compared to how easy I have it now.

Kunohara said:
I rent. We've only been here for close to 3 years, and I really don't want to have to move again. Also, like I said, if we move closer to the airport, my wife will have a long bus ride, and her body can't really take that right now.

I still really gotta think about this. It would be nice not having to drive in rush hour traffic. Having an iPod is nice in the car, but I'm just getting really tired on how people drive in this city.

Wow, sleep in the parking lot? Haha, that must get uncomfortable. I couldn't do that.

Only 3 years? I've never rented a place for longer than 2 years and I've never had to live in the armpit of Toronto.

If your wife works at Pape/Mortimer then you should move close to Pape subway station and take the subway to Kipling. It would definitely take you less than an hour to get to work and your wife would be even closer.

The Interrobanger said:
If your wife works at Pape/Mortimer then you should move close to Pape subway station and take the subway to Kipling.

That is good advice. You can get some pretty good prices for apartments around there too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The new Toronto-Age thread is a few more days away.

All the graphics are finished for the most part. The heavy writing is about two thirds of the way there, but I'm working on making the sections I have right now more readable.

The recommendations by people have been cleaned up a bit. If I don't have something to write about it, it's out the window unless someone else did the writing already.

Expanding on the 'Getting In' section for people who are flying in, driving, or coming by train. And touching on Transit a bit more.

sammich

Kunohara said:

Its still faster to drive from the airport(or around, Fasken drive) and go to markham/lawrence at 5pm rush hour traffic(401) or streets and back down to dundas/bloor where i live now, than to take TTC one way on most days. Transit is utterly crap in this city. Its a shorter trip for me to drive to work at coxwell/mortimer than take TTC and i live 7 min walk from kipling station.

Not to mention the added benefits of actually driving. Sure Gas prices really really really suck, but that extra time i save by spending on the TTC and rushing to catch busses etc, is far worth it and covers the extra on gas. ALL IMO.

Roto13

The Interrobanger said:
Only 3 years? I've never rented a place for longer than 2 years and I've never had to live in the armpit of Toronto.

If your wife works at Pape/Mortimer then you should move close to Pape subway station and take the subway to Kipling. It would definitely take you less than an hour to get to work and your wife would be even closer.
Seriously. I've moved like six or seven times since 2007. :p

What do two do, anyway? Would it be possible to find a similar job in a better location? Because if you're just living half way between two places of employment that are just really, really far apart, there's not much you can do to cut your commute besides moving or learning to teleport.

ShaneB

Roto13 said:

Jeez, you're my go to guy than.

I've been in Toronto since 2006 and only moved once. First Moved in with friends who were already here, and then in 2007 moved onto my own place and just stuck there because I hate the whole process.

Plus I fear change...

Know it's finally time to change and be happy, but damn it sucks.

Looking at a place tommorow, and then saturday, wish I could afford the place on saturday, but it's looking like a bit much unless I can haggle a deal or something, which I don't imagine works too much.

Roto13 said:

What do two do, anyway? Would it be possible to find a similar job in a better location? Because if you're just living half way between two places of employment that are just really, really far apart, there's not much you can do to cut your commute besides moving or learning to teleport.
5 times for me.

May 2007 to July 2008 @ Richmond/Jarvis
July 2008 to Sept 2008 @ King/Spadina
Sept 2008 to June 2010 @ Bloor/Landsdowne
June 2010 to June 2011 @ King/Strachen
June 2011 to ? @ Dundas/Bloor/High Park

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I moved around quite a bit when I was younger, mostly because every job I took was 6-9 month contract work. It was fun, because I go to see a lot of the country.

We'll be at our apartment for 4 years in December, which is by far the longest I've ever rented one place already. Prices in this city, rent wise, are not as horrible as some make them out to be. It's simply a matter of putting in the time and not being hasty with your decision.

Roto13

The Interrobanger said:
5 times for me.

May 2007 to July 2008 @ Richmond/Jarvis
July 2008 to Sept 2008 @ King/Spadina
Sept 2008 to June 2010 @ Bloor/Landsdowne
June 2010 to June 2011 @ King/Strachen
June 2011 to ? @ Dundas/Bloor/High Park
Lemme think here.

Newfoundland to Vancouver to other place in Vancouver to other place in Vancouver to other place in Vancouver to Newfoundland to Vancouver to other place in Vancouver to Toronto.

So eight times. :p

I'd like to see if I can find another better apartment near where I already am some time soon. My lease is up in August.

neptunes

How much does Mississauga suck? What do people do here for fun? I've lived here all my life and I still can't figure it out, Square One? West 50....? what else

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neptunes said:
How much does Mississauga suck? What do people do here for fun? I've lived here all my life and I still can't figure it out, Square One? West 50....? what else
They go to Toronto.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
EvilMario said:
It's stricter than it was years ago, but presenting a business permit/license, Identification, and a sample/proof of what you do can buy you a pass to the floor. You can even apply for it the day-of at E3. That's what we use to do. Really, we were only a part-time review / news site, but it was enough to give us access.

On Toronto; TTC to Giambrone: Pay up, or lose free Metropass for three years

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/0...r-lose-your-free-metropasses-for-three-years/

It's pretty funny that he's refusing to pay back his unwarranted cab fares, but I'm sure if they were to do an audit, they'd find even larger sums spent other questionable expenditures. The shocking part of the article though is he apparently receives free Metropasses for life now? I wonder if he'll actually use them.

Like it matters, he works in Montreal now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
neptunes said:

Lots of parks in Mississauga, they make for great hiking / jogging / dog walking. If I had to just go out to window shop, or mull around in places like Toronto Streetsville and Port Credit are okay for that.

But yeah, if people want something to do on the weekends, they often come to Toronto. Square One, Playdium and any list of other attractions in Mississauga don't do it for me.

ShaneB

Find it ironic that I talked about how before I had a car, I thought it was great to live next to the subway. Now that I have a car and looking to move because I don't need the subway anymore, I'm having a hard time wondering how I could live somewhere that doesnt have quick access to the highway. Dammit.

Christ this is not fun. The place I saw this morning was decent, but ruined by horrible view of nothing.

Know it all comes down to money, know my budget would dictate I should stay around the 900$ range, but you get what you pay for, so trying to wonder if I can go for more and try and make it work.

Dyno

neptunes said:

I had a girlfriend who lived next to Square One. This is more than ten years ago. At the time it was a pretty cool place. There were a variety of bars and restaurants that were nice. It had a decent, professional social scene.

If I had to live in Miss. I would pick that neighbourhood.

Willectro

Banned
ShaneB said:
Find it ironic that I talked about how before I had a car, I thought it was great to live next to the subway. Now that I have a car and looking to move because I don't need the subway anymore, I'm having a hard time wondering how I could live somewhere that doesnt have quick access to the highway. Dammit.

Christ this is not fun. The place I saw this morning was decent, but ruined by horrible view of nothing.

Know it all comes down to money, know my budget would dictate I should stay around the 900$ range, but you get what you pay for, so trying to wonder if I can go for more and try and make it work.

I'm also looking for a place in Toronto right now. The closer to the downtown the better. I've found that finding a good place isn't the issue, it's the landlords that want all kinds of info. I'm trying to get a place for June 1st but keeping options open is tough when so many of the landlords drag their feet.

Dyno

ShaneB said:

For downtown there are cheaper places around The Esplande and in the southern parts of Jarvis or Sherbourne. There is even quite a bit of co-op housing that area you might be eligible for. It's still downtown and very close to everything, including the Don Valley Pkwy and Gardiner Expressway.

Fugu

neptunes said:
Mississauga sucks professionally. I haven't lived in too many places but I can safely put Mississauga on the bottom of the list having lived there for far too long.

ShaneB

Heh, definitely not looking to live anywhere near downtown. I don't want to say I'm trying to get as far away as possible, because it's nice to have the option of getting downtown with some ease. I'm just not one for the hustle and bustle of downtown, so I'm much more into somewhere outside, preferable farther north.

Looking at some areas around Bathurst and Steeles that seem like a good fit. Edit: seeing a place near Finch/Islington tomorrow as well.

ShaneB

After seeing a few places today, I've come to strong realization that yeah, you get what you pay for.

Saw a couple places that I would've said are well over my budget, but they are some pretty wonderful apartments, one with a beautiful beautiful view overlooking a golf course, a view well worth the money. There were no 1 bedroom options, so what I saw was the 2 bedroom, which could obviously be fine if I need someone to come in and help with rent.

Another apartment I saw was beautiful, had a gym, pool, all that stuff, but was a 1 bedroom, and was even more pricey. I'd be saving money with the gym there and all that wonderful stuff, but man that is a lot of money each month.

Firestorm

Fugu said:
Mississauga sucks professionally. I haven't lived in too many places but I can safely put Mississauga on the bottom of the list having lived there for far too long.
Better than Waterloo though right? Right?
Please say yes :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom