• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyno

EvilMario said:
Mayor Ford won’t support tolls to fund Sheppard extension

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...support-tolls-to-fund-sheppard-extension?bn=1

So, destroy already funded Transit City, reaching nearly every neighborhood and the airport. But then find out your subway extension is going to cost lolz amounts of money, and face raising taxes/tolls. Claim that a private/public method to pay for it will come about, but don't actually provide proof this will come to pass.

So basically, we get nothing.. except the Eglinton LRT. OH WELL

I work out of City Hall and this story right here will be your whole Toronto for the next couple years at least. The only people making any money right now are consultants who do proposals, environmental assessments, and other kinds of pie-in-th-sky reports that never turn into actual projects for the city. Everyone is afraid to spend real money on the things the city needs to move forward. So instead city management is desperate for some magical solution that won't cost a lot of money or get them fired.

Everything is getting delayed, everything is getting kicked to re-assessment and all other manner of bureaucratic stagnation. This city is settling into a huge slump and not alot other than ongoing maintenance is going happen for a while.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dyno said:
I work out of City Hall and this story right here will be your whole Toronto for the next couple years at least. The only people making any money right now are consultants who do proposals, environmental assessments, and other kinds of pie-in-th-sky reports that never turn into actual projects for the city. Everyone is afraid to spend real money on the things the city needs to move forward. So instead city management is desperate for some magical solution that won't cost a lot of money or get them fired.

Everything is getting delayed, everything is getting kicked to re-assessment and all other manner of bureaucratic stagnation. This city is settling into a huge slump and not alot other than ongoing maintenance is going happen for a while.

Toronto Mayors have been cannibalizing transit projects started by previous Mayor's for a while. Once Transit City was approved for funding by the Province, it should have been impossible for the Mayor to stamp it out so easily. Just another case of McGuinty destroying his own hopes of re-election.

It's really sad that the city is going to come to a stand still for at least the next four years, which is going to turn into something more in the ten to fifteen year range once you take into account the planning, re-evaluations, etc that'll have to go into designing another Transity City like project.

Willectro

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
I'm moving tomorrow. I hope to god I don't melt.

Same here. Weather Network claims that its only going to be 22°C tomorrow, so it might be perfect. As long as it doesn't rain I don't care.

Also, I got a job at Starbucks yesterday! Pretty stoked.

Roto13

will52 said:
Same here. Weather Network claims that its only going to be 22°C tomorrow, so it might be perfect. As long as it doesn't rain I don't care.

You can totally steal those free drink vouchers they give to bitchy customers.

whitehawk said:
Eh I think it was a good idea. Otherwise some people would just go to EBGames instead since they can't wait to play it.

Plus I got a 10% off coupon for going at midnight :)

I don't go there too often anymore, is Sam the 40 year old asain dude who is always there, owns the store?
Yes, that's Sam but he doesn't own the store. The same guy who owns the Yonge St store, Mansour, also owns the Danforth one.

Sam has been with him for 12-15 years I'd say. Quiet guy. Knows his stuff but keeps to himself until he gets to know/warm up to you.

Roto13 said:
It wasn't unbearably hot in my apartment, which was nice. I didn't have to turn on the air conditioner.
32C in mine. This is making me stay at the office till I can't bear to stay any longer, in order to avoid coming home to a disgustingly humid apartment.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anony said:
Take The Car
etc

fuck, why cant our transit system be decent at least
Every day at pape station you'll see around 2-3 25 buses. Then a 72 won't come for 20mins, then three come at once. In that span you may see 8 or more 25 buses before a single 72.

Fuck the TTC.

The better way...is taking your car.
TTC...there's always a delay on the sub-way

Anyone know of any good Sri Lankan restaurants downtown?

I grew up in Scarborough where there are a thousand good ones but I haven't noticed one downtown yet. I really feel like grabbin some grub from a place but I really don't feel like trekking all the way back to Scarbs just to eat...

Roto13

DoctorWho said:
Anyone have an extra Konami event ticket?

You will be sucked...
I have one and something has come up so I can't go. I'd give it to you but it has my name on it and I'm pretty sure they won't let you in. :p

Roto13 said:
I have one and something has come up so I can't go. I'd give it to you but it has my name on it and I'm pretty sure they won't let you in. :p

I can become you.

:p

Shit, that sucks. It was worth a shot though.

will52 said:

Which one man. Danforth/Gough, Danforth/Langford?

Roto13

No swag makes me feel better. :p I was like "If I don't go and I miss out on getting a Foxhound water bottle or something, I'll be pissed."

ShaneB

Roto13 said:
No swag makes me feel better. :p I was like "If I don't go and I miss out on getting a Foxhound water bottle or something, I'll be pissed."

You "stole" my ticket and didn't even go!! :p Tsk.

Ah well, all I cared about was free swag, so to hear there was none eases that fact.

Biff

lunarworks said:
Rob Ford's anti-graffiti obsession is getting absurd:

The Star: Artist says city erased mural it paid him to paint
The painter and filmmaker kicked off work on the new mural last Sept. 25 with a community party. He had spent at least 30 hours on it, with about another 10 to go, when he learned Monday the city had used grey and white paint to completely blot out the mathematical formula incorporating Morse code symbols and grim-faced businessmen with yellow halos.
Just another freeloading asshole who was abusing silly City-sponsored projects under Miller.

It's taken him 10 months to paint the mural.. And he is only 75% done....

If an incomplete mural has been left stagnant that takes a jab at the highest tax-paying citizens in the city, then you know what, I'd order it be painted over too. Write it off as a loss. Fuck this guy.

Blackhead

Redarse
ChefRamsay said:
Just another freeloading asshole who was abusing silly City-sponsored projects under Miller.

It's taken him 10 months to paint the mural.. And he is only 75% done....

If an incomplete mural has been left stagnant that takes a jab at the highest tax-paying citizens in the city, then you know what, I'd order it be painted over too. Write it off as a loss. Fuck this guy.
Do you have a link to a comparison study, or any personal experience, that leads you to conclude this artist was unusually slow in his progress on the project?

Biff

Charred Greyface said:
Do you have a link to a comparison study, or any personal experience, that leads you to conclude this artist was unusually slow in his progress on the project?
Yes, I do actually! I am an engineer. I invent things much more complex than graffiti on a wall. It doesn't take me a year to do a 40 hour job. I would get fired if that was the case. The end.

Fake edit: Oooooh you wanted a non-troll answer? My bad.

Watch the documentary 'Exit Through the Gift Shop'. Banksy does all of his (much more impressive) work overnight. Yes. As in.. Within 10 hours. Cuts the stencils out during the day, sprays at night. About a day total. Not a year.

Charred Greyface said:
in my experience working with municipalities on professional services projects, they want to see results within a couple months. Usually one month. There are always contracts involved, which means that the city has to provide notice of contract termination if the guy was in default.

This is a different thing, though, so I searched online for the RFP on the Toronto Purchasing site. Couldn't find one. If the city was paying him, Purchasing would have to have a record on file.

Blackhead

Redarse
ChefRamsay said:
Yes, I do actually! I am an engineer. I invent things much more complex than graffiti on a wall. It doesn't take me a year to do a 40 hour job. I would get fired if that was the case. The end.

Watch the documentary 'Exit Through the Gift Shop'. Banksy does all of his (much more impressive) work overnight. Yes. As in.. Within 10 hours. Less than a day. Not a year.
Banksy uses stencils and does a lot of prework before he shows up under the cover of darkness and rushes through his illegal productions "overnight". It's not exactly comparable. You might as well compare this "freeloading asshole" to Michelangelo who took 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel. :p
BladeWorker said:
in my experience working with municipalities on professional services projects, they want to see results within a couple months. Usually one month. There are always contracts involved, which means that the city has to provide notice of contract termination if the guy was in default.

This is a different thing, though, so I searched online for the RFP on the Toronto Purchasing site. Couldn't find one. If the city was paying him, Purchasing would have to have a record on file.
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. My guess was that he was employed elsewhere and this was like a part-time project for him, worked in his spare-time. I didn't want to assume without more information.

grumble

Charred Greyface said:
Banksy uses stencils and does a lot of prework before he shows up under the cover of darkness and rushes through his illegal productions "overnight". It's not exactly comparable. You might as well compare this "freeloading asshole" to Michelangelo who took 4 years to paint the Sistine Chapel. :p

Look.

He's spent a couple of dozen hours on this thing in several months. 30 hours. Months.

Azih

grumble said:
Look.

He's spent a couple of dozen hours on this thing in several months. 30 hours. Months.
Meh, all depends on what kind of contract or expectation he was working with to see if that's ok or not. Where's the paperwork of the agreement?

gimz

ChefRamsay said:

Watch the documentary 'Exit Through the Gift Shop'. Banksy does all of his (much more impressive) work overnight. Yes. As in.. Within 10 hours. Cuts the stencils out during the day, sprays at night. About a day total. Not a year.
yea
actually when i look at his painting on the wall it doesnt look like it will take him more than half day to do it (BUT the idea of the mural can take up from 1 hour, to forever)

Willectro

Banned
How does No-washer-and dryer-Gaf get their clothes cleaned in Toronto? What's the going rate for laundromats? Any reasonable wash and fold places? I live near Pape and Danforth.

Roto13

I wouldn't live in a building without a laundry room.

God, thinking about going to a laundromat every week, it just seems so unreasonable to me. Like it's one step above taking your clothes down to the nearest river and beating them against a rock.

QjIma.jpg

Ha, so true. Wish Autumn was longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom