• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toro's Friend Network |OT| Every day I'm hustling

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How much money do you have to pay when you beat floor 10 per level down? I'm worried I won't make enough MP to continue down the floors.

JWong

Banned
How much money do you have to pay when you beat floor 10 per level down? I'm worried I won't make enough MP to continue down the floors.

50mp for 11-20
100mp for 21-30
500mp for 31-40

so far...

It's not too much, but I guess it'll depend if you play a lot of keep people working.

falconzss

This was posted in the comments of the European PS Blog:

PIGk1Ic.jpg

Nooooooooo!

Mondriaan

What's the highest atk card from the normal dungeon?

Slowly getting higher stats. I'm pretty much advancing the dungeon using a 500 stat friend or else I won't be able to make it. Gets rough at 30ish, I can't even imagine beyond 40.
No idea about cards. The dungeon is getting kind of stingy with cards and it looks like the bosses past floor 50 are only giving better outfits as rewards.

At floor 65 I only have maybe 2 friends (their DEF is above 500) who won't get defeated before the enemy goes down. It's still okay for now since the not-as-strong friends (their DEF is in the 400s) are defeated only one turn sooner, but it means that I can't take them down any deeper. If you're using my formula for character priority, you want your friends to be over 4000, assuming that your character after boosts is over 9000 (and assuming that you want to have lots of health left over for grinding).

None of my friends have beaten floor 70 yet.

Mockduck

Neo Member
I really don't understand why I'm "playing" this sorta-kinda-game-thing. But I am! I guess? I feel like I'm increasing my PS friends list just so I can get a lot more spammy notifications, since I almost never actually interact with others on my Vita or PS3. :)

JWong

Banned
Holy crap. 400stat friend are struggling in the 40-50 zone.

Past 50 is going to be snails pace. Need to reach 60 for a new outfit. I hate being a dawdler.

halfbeast

Banned
bought all the outfits in the store and I don't get them as a reward too often. my defense won't rise as fast as I hoped it would. oh well. I'm at dungeon area 56 right now and am struggling, people really die way too fast (and I don't get why). but I'm getting there. I want that bunny ninja outfit!!

Mondriaan

Holy crap. 400stat friend are struggling in the 40-50 zone.

Past 50 is going to be snails pace. Need to reach 60 for a new outfit. I hate being a dawdler.

I think the basic formula is that you should have everyone have ATK and DEF be 10x the floor you're on. Anyway, someone on twitter mentioned that there are actually 999 floors in the dungeon. I don't know if I want to believe that.

sakipon

I think the basic formula is that you should have everyone have ATK and DEF be 10x the floor you're on. Anyway, someone on twitter mentioned that there are actually 999 floors in the dungeon. I don't know if I want to believe that.

And the best thing is that in the endgame you kind of aren't allowed to fail.
Die on your way to 999 and you'll go straight back to 101 again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And the best thing is that in the endgame you kind of aren't allowed to fail.
Die on your way to 999 and you'll go straight back to 101 again.

What. What. WHAT.

(Also why isn't there more free items to get? There's a ton of pay-for items but only like 4-5 outfits that are free/MP buyable)

Mondriaan

So, I don't know if anyone cares, but I have a new guesstimate about what your stats need to look like if your friends are high enough level to get you into a dungeon, but aren't necessarily strong enough to survive the first turn.

My enemy on floor 70 regenerated at least 3 times, maybe 4, and previously I'd never seen an enemy regen more than once. I used boosts and still ended up using 10 party potions to get through the fight, which seems to indicate that my stats are too low for the floor I'm on.

I did some calculations on what kind of stats would be needed for easy peasy dungeon delving (no healing, just straight attacking).

My assumptions are that damage more or less scales linearly with ATK, enemy regeneration never goes above 25% of max HP per turn, the enemy heals itself ten times, you don't extend the fight past ten turns, and you don't use healing items.

ATK 35 * floor
DEF 15 * floor
HP 1000 + 10 * floor

This kind of stat growth is probably possible to do in around 48 hours or so assuming around 50-60 friends and assuming no more than one new floor every 2 days.

If your friends have similar or better stats (DEF around 15 * floor but aren't at ATK 35 * floor at which point they could solo that floor for you), ATK 19 * floor will work. This high an ATK assumes an obnoxious enemy that is regenerating every turn, though, so on the shallower levels, you don't really need ATK that high.

JWong

Banned
Sacrificed 5 def to stop looking like a dawdler until I can get bunny ninja.

=3 I am rare female student!

Emalde

I've been playing this for a few days, but it seems like adding randoms from the friend lobby only goes so far (I can't even tell if some of the people who pop up even log in regularly?). Added myself to the list in hopes of more Toro-pals so that I can join in the quest for the Post-100 Dungeon.

How important is it to link up a twitter or facebook? That seems like a lot of effort for just the increased HP gain.

Mondriaan

Twitter/facebook make people who are no longer playing the game useful for leveling up your HP. You don't need that many of them to reliably hit the 20 daily limit if they tweet/post updates frequently.

Getting the full 20 is somewhat important because the game won't track more than 99 victories against any outfit. (Wins past 99 aren't counted at all, so no more HP enhancement against that given outfit past 95.)

Emalde

Twitter/facebook make people who are no longer playing the game useful for leveling up your HP. You don't need that many of them to reliably hit the 20 daily limit if they tweet/post updates frequently.

Getting the full 20 is somewhat important because the game won't track more than 99 victories against any outfit. (Wins past 99 aren't counted at all, so no more HP enhancement for that given outfit past 95.)

Oh, so you're saying that I don't need to make/link a social account, just friend people who already have?

Mondriaan

Oh, so you're saying that I don't need to make/link a social account, just friend people who already have?
I don't think you will receive tweets without linking to a twitter account, but I'm not absolutely certain about that. You'll see "..." bubbles if you're receiving tweets/updates.

Jeels

My question is, with the friend limit, why would I want to fill it up with people I have no association with other than using this app?

Sol1dus

My question is, with the friend limit, why would I want to fill it up with people I have no association with other than using this app?

Yeah my friends lost is packed and I keep getting even more adds every day. (Haven't touched the app in two weeks). So my suggestion is, don't. At least not if you're not really feeling dealing with unknowns logging in and out every three seconds.

So distracting...

whitehawk

Banned
The friends list within toro should be seperate.

Also, it's really tedious clicking on people to find out if we are friends now. It should just do it automatically and give me a list of notifications.

androvsky

Yeah my friends lost is packed and I keep getting even more adds every day. (Haven't touched the app in two weeks). So my suggestion is, don't. At least not if you're not really feeling dealing with unknowns logging in and out every three seconds.

So distracting...

You can turn off login/logout notifications specifically on the Vita, and you can turn off notifications in general on the PS3 (you'll miss incoming message notifications too).

CamHostage

Well, the good news about Toro is that I know all the people I've met through it have a Vita.

I'm looking forward to having some familiar faces when Killzone finally ships (if you play Toro a lot, you do get to know people's identities a bit, even if the icon is often a FB graphic and the Toro name can differ.) Wake-Up Club is similar. I've not made "friends" over any of these games, but there will be people I will recognize when/if Vita online gameplay picks up with something big (RIP SOCOM PSP, the online game I actually met good people on.)

In general though, I feel like if you're asking what this game is for, it's not for you. Toro's Friend Network is kind of dumb and half-built and handcuffed and DLC-oriented and limited. It's a time-suck, a Facebook app made for your game machine. If you can avoid the addiction, spare yourself and be happy. But if you like roots-style gaming (playing for the pride and rankings versus some story or other driving force) and if you want to build up your PSN friend list, Toro might get you hooked.

CamHostage

Well, the good news about Toro is that I know all the people I've met through it have a Vita.

I'm looking forward to having some familiar faces when Killzone finally ships (if you play Toro a lot, you do get to know people's identities a bit, even if the icon is often a FB graphic and the Toro name can differ.) Wake-Up Club is similar. I've not made "friends" over any of these games, but there will be people I will recognize when/if Vita online gameplay picks up with something big (RIP SOCOM PSP, the online game I actually met good people on.)

In general though, I feel like if you're asking what this game is for, it's not for you. Toro's Friend Network is kind of dumb and half-built and handcuffed and DLC-oriented and limited. It's a time-suck, a Facebook app made for your game machine. If you can avoid the addiction, spare yourself and be happy. But if you like roots-style gaming (playing for the pride and rankings versus some story or other driving force) and if you want to build up your PSN friend list, this is a quick way of doing it.

The friends list within toro should be seperate.

Well, it's a little stupid that it's not more robust, but that's kind of the point of the game, to meet people. Not being about to hit that magical 100-friend dance if you have PSN friends who don't own Vita (or just don't care about Toro,) but I have a feeling it's a fake goal, I can't imagine the game would actually "win" if you hit 100. I'm at I think 60 'friends' and nothing's really changed in the game since 33 friends (when the last area unlocked.) Maybe there's an exclusive bonus if you hit 100 friends, but you don't get anything special at any other stage in the home game (you can get exclusive items in the Dungeon, but the homescreen I think only allows HP & MP upgrading as well as Shop access.

So, don't sweat it, just play for whatever it's worth.

Also, it's really tedious clicking on people to find out if we are friends now. It should just do it automatically and give me a list of notifications.

Assign all your known friends Work on screens other than that opening home garden. Then the only people with pop-ups will either be new people or people with a message (which is worth clicking on anyway since it's worth a HP, but I get that it's annoying when dozens of those pop up on the screen right away and you have no idea which ones are important or not.) Also the four people farming your gardens will have a pop-up, but you'll know that they're already friends.

My enemy on floor 70 regenerated at least 3 times, maybe 4, and previously I'd never seen an enemy regen more than once. I used boosts and still ended up using 10 party potions to get through the fight, which seems to indicate that my stats are too low for the floor I'm on.

I haven't grinded higher floors too much (and I'm pretty high but I've only failed a battle maybe twice,) but in my experience revisiting floors, they don't seem to regen (or not nearly as much, at least) when you return to a battle, have you notice this phenomenon? Of course, the game isn't exactly tethered to its own rules (I've also seen friends with just 300ATK do 4,000 HP damage on an enemy, as well as have seen enemies do 800HP damage on me on Floor 6 out of nowhere... totally sucked, I was grinding for a quick ATK upgrade to take on a floor somewhere in the 40s and instead I had to wait a day because a chump-level enemy obliterated me.) But I have noticed very little to maybe no regen when going back for the 100% Treasure wins.

JWong

Banned
Well, it's all a part of the social game.

You could say this game is an icebreaker. I think I've added a lot of neat people who I would talk to. Even mysteriously added some guy from Destructoid.

Mondriaan

I haven't grinded higher floors too much (and I'm pretty high but I've only failed a battle maybe twice,) but in my experience revisiting floors, they don't seem to regen (or not nearly as much, at least) when you return to a battle, have you notice this phenomenon? Of course, the game isn't exactly tethered to its own rules (I've also seen friends with just 300ATK do 4,000 HP damage on an enemy, as well as have seen enemies do 800HP damage on me on Floor 6 out of nowhere... totally sucked, I was grinding for a quick ATK upgrade to take on a floor somewhere in the 40s and instead I had to wait a day because a chump-level enemy obliterated me.) But I have noticed very little to maybe no regen when going back for the 100% Treasure wins.
There's some sort of scaling based on floor, but the stats of the enemy on a floor are also based on the "enemy" player's character. If that character has godly stats, you could be in for some trouble, even on the shallower floors.

I've seen critical hits that do thousands of points of damage, but I've chalked it up to criticals being somewhat random. I'm not sure if regeneration is any less common on floors that are revisits. When I revisit a floor, my ATK and DEF are typically much higher than the first time I visited, so the fights are shorter and there's less opportunity for the enemy to regen.

Darvan

I don't understand what am doing wrong myself and someone here from GAF followed each other on twitter yet I don't see the person in the twitter lobby. Any idea's guys?

halfbeast

Banned
I don't understand what am doing wrong myself and someone here from GAF followed each other on twitter yet I don't see the person in the twitter lobby. Any idea's guys?

I had some problem too at the beginning, did you just start playing? I'll just followed you on twitter and gonna check the lobby now.

Remk

Down to dungeon level 72, and only 3 of my friends can inflict good damage which is a bummer since I had some great companions at 500+ attack that I can no longer play with :/

Such a good time waster while listening to podcasts, but I am afraid I will need to fork over cash if I want to complete the dungeon and I just dont want to do that :/

But tomorrow I will head to level 73, such is my resolve! :)

Mondriaan

I'm probably going to be hitting floor 83 this evening. If my strongest friends continue to improve at their current rates, I think floor 90 will happen a week from now.

That's assuming that there are no surprises on floor 85, though. I remember that ten dollars was an unpleasant surprise the first time on floor 45 or so.

halfbeast

Banned
yesterday I lost to my very first encounter on floor 71, while we were doing 150 to 300 damage, he kept healing until the 10 turns were over. today I went through two floors with no problems. *shrug*

it starts to get really random, for some reason I got 100+ damage in a floor 1 fight, while my low level compadres only got like 4. :/

I also think this should replace "Home". Playstation Home is a fantastic idea in my opinion, don't get me wrong, I think the possibility for natural feeling adds, and information is a natural fit for it, but it's just awkward for me, and extremely cumbersome. Something like this with it's quirky but cute mentality would be amazing I think.

kurbaan

Banned
Just played this for the first time today added some people. But wasn't really sure what the point was. Is there anything that happens in this?

CamHostage

Has anyone tried out the handcrafted dungeon?

I checked through this thread a bit but I didn't see anybody document what the Handcrafted Dungeon does (apologies if I missed it.) I'm trying to be an optimist on Free-To-Play since that seems to be the future and I have some faith that it CAN be done without ruining everything else in gaming (plus, I wanted to support any Toro release that's actually making it out of Japan,) so I bit the bullet and bought the Handmade Dungeon. I'm sure you can find this info elsewhere, but for those who don't know, here's what it is:

• The Handmade Dungeon replaces your current dungeon on the garden screen. You can swap between the two Dungeons at any time.
  • The dungeons have unique background graphics. Instead of an international theme, they have handmade cutout art, maybe a little like Tearaway or Stick It To The Man.
  • The Handmade Dungeon levels are much harder. I came in expecting a couple quick kills at least (I had already fought that day and gone through my Revivals, but I had a couple hundred HP left over and do almost 600 ATK myself) and I got killed on the first Dungeon.
  • The Tutorial is the same, so skip it.
  • Even though every chest on each floor contains an item, repeats are common (Level 2 battle I fought immediately gave me the same card as Level 1.) These seem to be mostly variations of cards you've seen before, only now they're called "Top ___ Card/Outfit"
  • You can go back and grind previously-beat levels after beating clusters of five of them.
  • There is a boss every 5 stages (I fought "shadow Kuro" on Level 5,) and at 10 and 20 are major battles.
  • The backgrounds change only every 5 stages, and there's a custom boss background; there are also moodlight variations of the repeating stages.
  • When you enter the Handmade Dungeon, Toro acts surprised. He says "Funny~ Doesn't this dungeon seem a little weird? Nyaa?" Then Kuro pops up in the adversary spot and says "Speak of the devil. Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~ Yo! " Toro says "Kuro! Didn't some capture Kuro? Nyaa?" "Wahaha! Kuro rules this dungeon! Kuro is GOD! The fallen angel of Senyou. The Evil Eye Boss. Nya!" "What on earth are you talking about? Nyaa..."
  • The Welcome to Kuro's Handcrafted Dungeon screen is then laid out, explaining what this Dungeon is. There are a number of benefits (they call them "Tips") outlined in the Dungeon:
    1. It consists of 20 Floors! Handsome Kuro is the boss. Mew!
    2. You can get great gifts on the 10th and 20th floor. Mew!
    3. In every chest on each floor is a Name Card or an Outfit!
    4. Collect all treasures to increase HP 10UP->25UP. Nya!
  • Kuro then says "Whahah! Drop by if you can make it to the 20th floor~ Nya~ See you later. Nya~" and then he disappears. Toro says "Oh no! Nyaa~ Kuro has become a villain. Nyaa~ We have to get to the 20th floor and return Kuro to normal~"
  • ...and then you play and get killed

Hopefully the detail of this post saves you the Coin if you're really against paying... but it's only $5 and it's the only Toro game here you can actually say you've bought and supported, so I recommend doing the drop if you feel like it.

CamHostage

The Handmade Dungeon levels are not insanely hard, however, I just came ill-equipped on my first try but if you're leveled up some then you should be able to get at it. I returned with 400-500 ATK friends and boosts in Health and Attack, we killed the first guy in the first round and got a Top Dark Skill card with ATK+200.

Mondriaan

I beat floor 100. The anticlimactic part is that I'm only the third person to do so in my friends list despite being at the head of the pack for most of the first 90 floors.

The game, if you can call it that, is kind of dumb, but I was able to hit floor 100 without spending a cent. As a show of support for not having it be pay-to-win, I'll get the bonus dungeon.

CamHostage

I beat floor 100. The anticlimactic part is that I'm only the third person to do so in my friends list despite being at the head of the pack for most of the first 90 floors.

The game, if you can call it that, is kind of dumb, but I was able to hit floor 100 without spending a cent.

I'm getting close. Good to know to temper my expectations (as expected.)

By the way, I just got a strange message, a magenta exclamation flag went over somebody's head (instead of the normal blue) and unfortunately I couldn't read all of the message that came up (it skipped in loading) but it said something about a crusade. Anybody know what that is? Is that what happens when somebody fights you in a dungeon? (Crazy if it is that it's an encounter because I'm at level 70-something and that's the first time it's happened to me.) I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with this "crusade" info, though, I thought maybe we could have some rivalry or something and I could go battle him but it didn't give me many options other than looking at his stats once I got through the dialogs.

I was enjoying this for a while, but now I'm lucky to finish two floors in the dungeon before I end up at like 100HP and need to recover. I've got the best equipment you can buy with the in game currency, and I've bought most of the costumes and cards to increase my max attack/defense. I also maxed out all the gardens 100%. I'm starting to see why most of the people on my friends list aren't coming back to it anymore.

Mondriaan

I was enjoying this for a while, but now I'm lucky to finish two floors in the dungeon before I end up at like 100HP and need to recover. I've got the best equipment you can buy with the in game currency, and I've bought most of the costumes and cards to increase my max attack/defense. I also maxed out all the gardens 100%. I'm starting to see why most of the people on my friends list aren't coming back to it anymore.
The game is really about seeing how efficiently you can grind up your stats while still making progress in the dungeons. If the sum of your friends' attack is above 750 or so you can generally grind level 1 of the regular dungeon for stats without taking any damage. The sum of your friends' attack has to be roughly 1500 to safely grind the handcrafted dungeon.

Pairing up allies who are strong enough to defeat an enemy before your character has to attack is pretty important. The only way to get strong allies is to be strong yourself, though. Unfortunately the vast majority of my allies are no longer active and their attack is less than 300 or so, which makes them useful mostly for pairing up with my allies whose attack is above 1500 and below 2500.

The ones whose attack is above 2500 are important because they make the dungeon levels above 100 doable within one or two rounds.

After you exhaust your strong allies, you should grind for stats, but you need to track how much health you regenerate between play sessions. You should also supplement your normal regen with 10 healing potions, which are good for 1000 health.

If you're more interested in grinding than going deeper into the dungeon, then you have slightly more options. Friends that have the artist type will guarantee that you never enter a dungeon with less than 10% of your max HP, even if your HP is only at 1. You'll leave the dungeon with 1 point, but if you can take out an enemy in less than 2 full rounds, that's enough. If your max health is high enough, you can take the artist type yourself and never enter a dungeon with less than 5% of your max health.

Note that even with a defense of 2442 I still sometimes take around 150 points of damage from schmucks in the shallowest levels of the handcrafted dungeon, so if your strategy is to be able to grind there with only 1 HP and with low attack allies that barely meet the entrance requirements, you'll need over 3000 HP and over 1500 attack to do so safely.

sakipon

Anyone playing Toro on a Hong Kong or other Asian account? Because today there was an update that was supposed to add Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden dungeons and some fixes. I updated but every time I launch the game it says "It is not the latest version of Toro's Friendly Network. Please press PS button to return to LiveArea and close the application".

I already restarted my Vita, didn't help. Wonder if this is common. I hope nothing went badly wrong, my level is over 600.

edited:

Alright, several hours later it now works, I assume the issue indeed was at their end. My levels are infact. Phew.

Playing demo of the Toukiden dungeon now! It seems to be more complex than the basic dungeon.

Top Bottom