• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

kikiribu

Does anyone else find it bizarre that some people are totally disinterested in the eclipse?
I could think of a few reasons.

1. Where they live, they'll only be getting a partial view that isn't worth standing outside for. It won't look like the google pictures they've seen of a solar eclipse.

2. The endless warnings saying don't stare at it without special glasses probably makes it less interesting/fun, more unsafe than anything else.

3. To some people, it'll just look like a reddish sun.

I'm not saying the event isn't interesting myself, but I could understand them. Unfortunately, some of us live in places where stuff like this can't be experienced properly.

How many times does it have to be said

Looking *clap* at *clap* a *clap* secondary *clap* reflection *clap* in *clap* the *clap* water *clap* or *clap* phone *clap* screen *clap* is *clap* enough *clap* for *clap* the *clap* Basilisk *clap* to *clap* petrify *clap* you

How many times does it have to be said

Looking *clap* at *clap* a *clap* secondary *clap* reflection *clap* in *clap* the *clap* water *clap* or *clap* phone *clap* screen *clap* is *clap* enough *clap* for *clap* the *clap* Basilisk *clap* to *clap* petrify *clap* you

Nobody is saying to to look at a reflection of the eclipse (Well the one guy who thought about selfie camera instead of the main camera) . Your not looking at a reflection though if you use the main camera and the sun death rays are not traveling through the LCD /OLED panel otherwise those watching it on TV is secretly in the most danger.

Xe4

Banned
Sorry this is a bit egregious so I have to correct it. Astronomers/real scientists never talk about the 'Supermoon' because it's bogus. The moon doesn't actually get bigger nor does it get close to the Earth by any noticeable amount. It's a massive misconception. Something made up my Facebook posts.
Uhhh. Supermoons are real and do exist. As someone who's the VP of the local astro club I can confirm this.

We hold events for all kinds of stuff. Super Moons, Mars being closer than average, special events with jupiter, eclipses, etc. Granted, the super Moon and super Mars are exaggerated to hell and back, but they do serve as a good way to teach people about astronomical concepts and exaggerations You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't know planets and our moon orbit in an ellipse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermoon

Would polarized sunglasses be good enough or clearly not dark enough?
No. Eclipse glasses, level 14 welding glasses, a pinhole projector, your phones screen or else don't look at the sun if you don't want to do serious damage to your retina.

redhood56

Banned
My local library has 100 glasses but I have to sit through a lecture that might end when the eclipse starts. Either that or try the mall...

Would polarized sunglasses be good enough or clearly not dark enough?

It has nothing to do with how dark something is those glasses are not made of the right materials so even though you can wear them and stare at the sun and see no light at all the suns death beams are still bombarding your eyes.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I told an acquaintance regarding the damage of looking directly into the Solar Eclipse without any filtered glasses. Sounding worried, he then asked me if he needs glasses for the live stream viewing. As in viewing it from a computer screen live stream. Hahahaha

Edit: Going hiking myself in a few hours to perform satanic ritual in the woods at the time of the eclipse, of course.

Klotera

Good news is that I found a last minute seller for solar film for my camera (to replace the sheets I had already gotten that someone accidentally threw away). Also made it farther into the totality and secured a decent spot.

Bad news, raining now and a good chance of T-storm during the totality (KCMO). Intermittent clouds leading up to it.

With the front-facing camera folks, be careful that the reflection isn't going to hurt you. You can try it now with the direct sun for a second to see if it's too bright coming off of your phone screen. Better safe than sorry on that.

Alright I'm smoking up right now and i have pink floyd ready on my headphones. When is this fat yellow bastard gonna start the show for me?

Very very not dark enough. If you have proper eclipse glasses, you literally cannot see anything through them except the sun. Even very bright artificial lights don't show up through them.

That would make sense. Thank you. I know we're only getting a 76% coverage for the eclipse.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hardly any clouds in NYC. Which is great because the weather also seems to fuck up cool space events.

DHwvsQ2XcAQUTbL.jpg:large

Is it safe if I block the sun with my phone and instead see it through my screen? Honest question
Your phone screen does not produce as much light as the sun, so yes. The biggest danger here is accidentally looking directly at the sun while trying to get your phone lined up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, working in an office with a fab shop has it's perks! Got a few pieces of SFH-12 glass that the shop foreman gave us to go stare at the sun later.

Is it safe if I block the sun with my phone and instead see it through my screen? Honest question

Its a bit risky if a sun beam escapes from behind your camera. The safest way would be have two phones synced together with Team Viewer so you don't have to worry about the sun at all and you can still find where the sun is in the sky while taking photo or video.

Alright honest question here - everyone knows that looking at the Sun is bad for your eyes but is it extra bad during an Eclipse or something? Or is it just the idea that since most of it is covered it will be fine and scientists and the media are just hammering in the don't look at the Sun stuff as hard as possible?

Alright honest question here - everyone knows that looking at the Sun is bad for your eyes but is it extra bad during an Eclipse or something? Or is it just the idea that since most of it is covered it will be fine and scientists and the media are just hammering in the don't look at the Sun stuff as hard as possible?
The second thing. It’s not any more or less dangerous during an eclipse than any other time. But most days there is really not much incentive to attempt looking directly at the sun.

Might miss the phone. Maybe selfie mode on the phone and turn around?

Yeah, I think both are doable but have their own risks. I tried using a phone on the sun just now, but it's small enough that I'm worried that I'd slip and misalign it. With the front-facing camera, you have to make sure the screen isn't reflective enough to hit you with too much radiation. Maybe at an angle it'd be fine.

I'm going with a tablet camera (big enough to blot out the sun behind it).

Laekon

Old man rant/

I'm pissed that my class decided to push back an exam to exactly the time the eclipse is going to be at its peak. No care about something like this but they know all about the latest snapchat filter.

Top Bottom