• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Clear skies and sunny here in Oregon! Taking a look at the map the roads dont look bad at all. Grabbing breakfast then heading to the park just outside our hotel :)

The second thing. It’s not any more or less dangerous during an eclipse than any other time. But most days there is really not much incentive to attempt looking directly at the sun.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess most people don't make an effort to look at the Sun for more then 2 seconds, let alone over 2 minutes. Thanks

Weevilone

Yeah that makes sense. I guess most people don't make an effort to look at the Sun for more then 2 seconds, let alone over 2 minutes. Thanks

And has been mentioned, your iris will close your pupil to protect the eye under normal circumstances. That plus the pain will protect you.

During an eclipse that stuff doesn't work well.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
I'm going to throw caution to the wind here in KC. I don't need no glasses.

Because it is god damned storming here with no sign of letting up =|

ag-my001

NW of Charleston, had mostly sunny thirty minutes ago, now it's mostly cloudy. Going to bounce back and forth all day. Fingers crossed for the important bit.

jfkgoblue

I'm in some random park in Clarksville Tennessee, and there are probably 2-3k people here, people from all over the eastern half of the country.

Texas is most represented followed by Tennessee, Michigan, and Ohio.

Alright honest question here - everyone knows that looking at the Sun is bad for your eyes but is it extra bad during an Eclipse or something? Or is it just the idea that since most of it is covered it will be fine and scientists and the media are just hammering in the don't look at the Sun stuff as hard as possible?
More than just the temptation to look at the sun, the dimness of the light causes your eyes to dilate letting more light in to your eyes.

Aikidoka

Totally clear in gallatin except for the chemtrails.....

The interactive map says it starts at 16:59 UTC. but the OP says it's about an hour earlier. What's what?

darklin0

Banned
"A little darker" is an understatement if I've ever seen one if you're in the path of a total eclipse. Heheh

I live right dead center of the total eclipse. It will be 2 minutes and 37 seconds long here.

Oh for sure, at max coverage it is actually a lot more fun to participate.

Xe4

Banned
New Mexico cleared up really nicely. Our school's library had a bunch of glasses and even then they ran out super quick, LMAO.

I'm a little annoyed that I couldn't set up solar scopes as they were taken to a different location. I only learned of this last night, so it was difficult for me to make other plans in the meantime.

Futureman

you can glance at the eclipse right? Just like you would glance at the sun on any normal day? The danger is that it doesn't hurt to look at the sun during an eclipse so could be tempted to give more than a glance.

HylianTom

Banned
I bought two dozen pair a few months ago and have been handing them out to friends, family, and coworkers.

(gorgeous clear skies here in the eastern half of Tennessee)

Jeff-DSA

I'm in Swan Valley, Idaho at the north end. 2 minutes of totality here and not a single cloud in the way. I'm getting unreasonably excited.

AdanVC

So lucky of those who will experience this. I'm in Mexico and here the eclipse is only going to be visible with telescopes and fancy stuff like that. No darkness on daylight here either :(

LordCanti

How much were these glasses anyway?

Originally a couple bucks each. By the time Amazon had pulled every last listing of them and as it got closer to the day, they went up closer to $5-$10 per around here if you could even find them. People lined up outside boutique toy stores.

How much were these glasses anyway?

I paid $2 at Fred Meyer's two weeks ago. Quick question for you guys, I know taking a picture of the sun could fuck up my phone's camera but can I take a picture of the totality? I live in Boise and we get 99.5% totality here.

MIMIC

Banned
Pretty sunny here in Cleveland. Should get a really good view. Sitting in my backyard and I can hear a bunch of circadas behind my fense. Hopefully they won't attack me during eclipse 😲

My plan is to just enjoy the ambient dimming and not try to look at the eclipse itself (not only because I don't have glasses, but an eye issue that I am susceptible to).

Should be neat, though we're not near totality or anything.

Top Bottom