• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Saw the total eclipse in Albany, Oregon.

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.
I'm over in Philomath, and that 100% totality was amazing. Being able to take the glasses off for about 90 seconds, and just look at the complete eclipse was one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed.

Mindlog

I used some nice binoculars and a reflector. The view was crystal clear and pretty rad. Lots of photos were taken off my setup :]

Vlaphor

We had near totality in Topeka KS...and incredibly overcast skies. Still, it was cool seeing it get so dark at 1pm that the parking lot lights came on automatically.

Jencks

Banned
Just saw full totality from my backyard in TN. Looked fucking insane. The cicadas even started chirping like they do at night.

ICO_SotC

The NYT's feed has cut to Jeff Sessions and Ivanka watching the eclipse in DC. I kid you not.

edit: Trump has arrived to watch now.

Can someone explain the blue crescent in this picture to me?

2wFk7

http://imgur.com/a/2wFk7
Sundog, perhaps?

That was so fucking amazing!!!! I'm also going to get in trouble for screaming those exact words at my job when I didn't realize a family was right behind me, haha.

jman2050

Only ~80ish percent here so it's still pretty bright but outside turned into a really bold yellow tint while at maximum coverage. Kinda trippy.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Kind of boring here in Roanoke, VA (like 1 min away from peak), just kind of looks overcast.

When does the sun "return to normal", so to speak? Wanna go for a jog and don't wanna accidentally look up at it and blind myself.

Eblo

Reached 92% here in Ohio. Nothing like Baily's beads or spooky nighttime effects, but it did get cooler and much darker.

Sinistral

Was only able to experience an 82% coverage with the cardboard glasses. It's definitely on my bucket list to see the next total eclipse in person with camera gear in 2024 on the East Coast US/Canada now. This 82% was a big enough tease where I have to see a Total in person now. I regret not taking today off and driving down south to Oregon.

reKon

Banned
Stepped outside and someone gave me their glasses. It was kind of cool to see even though the view from Chicago sucked.

That was absolutely fantastic, everyone around was so excited! I'm still giddy now. Those last few seconds before and into totality are freaking magical.

mavo

Banned
Kind of boring here in Roanoke, VA (like 1 min away from peak), just kind of looks overcast.

When does the sun "return to normal", so to speak? Wanna go for a jog and don't wanna accidentally look up at it and blind myself.

Is not more dangerous to look at the sun during the eclipse than normally, is just that people do it more.

So yeah, just go jogging whenever.

Dallas, TX here. Couldn't get any glasses so I didn't stare at the sun, but I looked around and it was eerie dark for a little bit. Pretty neat to see.

Top Bottom