• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Eclipse was ruined here in Nashville. It was a bright sun shiny day but then at 75% coverage a massive storm cloud moved over the sun. It was completely blocked so you couldn't see the total. The cloud is still blocking the sun as I type this.

I'm fucking pissed.

I'm in nashville and it was perfect here. Was lounging outside in my pool

I grilled 5 pounds of chicken breasts, did a half hour of vinyasa and drank a half pint of Kentucky Deluxe while in a headstand during the eclipse.

I think I've covered all cosmic blessings.

I'm in the same boat, I'm paranoid that a little bit of the light hit my left eye on accident when I was lowering the glasses and it feels all messed up

I was just being paranoid. I just stared at totality with no glasses for 2 minutes and 40 seconds and vision is perfectly normal

Malyse

So cool! So very cool!

I love the weird shadows.
Code:
[IMG]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/220740175100248065/349262653484433408/image.jpg?width=673&height=897[/IMG]

"In the center of all rests the sun. For who would place this lamp of a very beautiful temple in another or better place that this wherefrom it can illuminate everything at the same time?"

Nicolaus Copernicus

lt1fH54.jpg

Greetings from Mexico US Gaf I managed to see it using the bucket method so if you don't have special glasses try to use that it's safe

10 miles away from totality in 2024, definitely going to do that. My engineering firm just geeked out for a good 30 minutes, that was fun.

Get some very interesting lense flares/reflections whatever they are called. Took one straight up, then another through some welding glass we had in our shop about 10 minutes from our peak.
Yep that was how it worked for me got a bunch of eclipsed tiny suns while only one for me and a regular sun to show how fucking bright the sun still is.

jesus christ 95% of people in NYC are looking at it with their naked eyes.

edit: and it's only 70% here.
People whine about the endless safety warnings given on TV and stuff, but this is why it happens. Even when you beat it into people’s heads they just don’t listen.

Soroc

I witnessed 62% totality! It was kinda cloudy in NH so I was able to snap a photo of it with my phone as well. Didn't really get even dusk levels of dark, just slightly dimmed and a few degrees cooler. Still pretty cool to see the environmental effects. My dog didn't go crazy either like she does for full moons.

ZOONAMI

People whine about the endless safety warnings given on TV and stuff, but this is why it happens. Even when you beat it into people’s heads they just don’t listen.

I looked right at it at 30% or maybe even less than that in Minneapolis, a few times. As far as I can tell my eyes are fine.

WatTsu

Supposedly only got about 78% totality here but still really cool. A lot of people congregated together, passed glasses around, used their pinhole cameras...it was nice.

No real change in terms of darkness or anything like that but it did feel a bit cooler outside during.

LordCanti

We went from storms an hour out to complete sunlight in time to see the entire thing. Couldn't have worked out better. Staring into a black hole where the sun is supposed to be is cooler than I thought it would be and it was probably the quickest minute and a half of my life.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Got a decent look at it in Central New Jersey but its pretty cloudy out so it was hard to see. Still cool what I did catch a glimpse but makes me think about those people who have paid out the nose for a spot that ends up getting cloudy during the event.

DonShula

91% here. Crickets came out and porch lights went on thanks in part to spotty cloud cover.

Envious of those who saw the real deal without glasses.

LowSignal

Watched the entire thing while at work in Corvallis Oregon

Entire workplace was watching it from the parking lot.

Was pretty cool and even got a pretty neat picture when it was fuly dark

qnPmLSj.jpg

This would have been a good time to release another Ring movie. Good picture

Metalgus

Banned
Was able to make a projector using a box of tissues at the office. It was around 58% covered here. The ambiant light was a bit strange, but nothing like the complete darkness I see in this thread.

XOMTOR

Honestly, this 70% is way more than I expected. Really neat in Southern Ontario.

We only got 58% here in NB. If it wasn't for the fact I knew an eclipse was occurring, I wouldn't have even noticed anything was amiss. Even thin clouds or haze on a humid day has more of a dimming effect.

Cleveland, OH here. Couldn't leave the office but it was really cool seeing it get dark for a while. Pretty interesting.

Watching the NASA livestream earlier was much better where it was in total eclipse mode and then the diamond ring appearing.

Top Bottom