• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Damn, looks like Puerto Vallarta is just south of the path of the 2024 totality. Would have been amazing to book a vacation there and view it.

KyleCross

Eclipse was ruined here in Nashville. It was a bright sun shiny day but then at 75% coverage a massive storm cloud moved over the sun. It was completely blocked so you couldn't see the total. The cloud is still blocking the sun as I type this.

I'm fucking pissed.

Pretty cool Got a series of photo every 10 minutes or so. My phone wasnt good enough at blocking out light so it appears round the entire time except the sun reflects off the plastic lens of my phone so you actually see a second tiny sun in all the photos which show off the Eclipse perfectly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
We had some eclipse glasses delivered at work that worked great. When you out them on you can't see shit at all, but once you look up directly at the sun you can see the circle of light and the shadow of the moon covering it.

Fun times. It looked pretty well covered here in NY, but it's still relatively bright out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
lol

Watching Spanish news and they're showing live coverage of the White House.
Trump looked at the sun without glasses and they start chastising him.

sphagnum

Banned
Got pretty cloudy at the last minute in NJ but I still got to see it, pretty cool.

Tons of idiots looking at it without glasses though.

daveo42

Banned
Bunch of people out at work checking it out. Kinda excited about the eclipse, though also bummed I decided not to take a trip south to see it in totality. 7 years from now tho...it'll be right outside my door.

ThePsydeFX

Neo Member
Saw 80% here in Chicago through my polarized glasses for a bit. No kind of disconfort from it. It's pretty overcast over here which helped. Now the reflection from the glass on my phone is a different story.

Pretty cool, but jealous of those who get to experience the total eclipse.

Garlador

MY EYES HURT

image.php

This was intentional, wasn't it.

Mxrz

North Georgia. Went completely dark for a few mins. Stars out. Utility lights came on. Neat. Forgot to save the video I took. d'oh.

gosox333

At 87% coverage I was able to both carefully glance at the sun while being able to see the eclipse and also notice it getting darker outside. Armchair eclipse experts in this thread had me thinking otherwise lol

Ultimately this has sold me on going south for the next one in 2024. Even just what I saw now was cool shit, I can't imagine 100% coverage.

Weevilone

I was hoping that it would get cool enough in St. Louis that maybe we'd have a cool breeze instead of the usual steam for a couple minutes. Nope.

I've only been watching the streams, but I think the coolest part that you have to be there to experience is it being dark during the day. Must be weird having the lights turn on and whatever animals are doing.

16BitNova

Got kind of lucky. We had 90 something percent here where I'm at. Its been partially cloudy all day. Didn't get glasses so I was doing the pin hole method. When all of a sudden my girlfriend says "look you can see it!" And without thinking I look up from excitement. And yes! There was just enough cloud coverage to where the sun and eclipse were not completely unvisible. Like the perfect transparency of cloud. I was able to look for a few seconds without any protection before the thicker cloud covered the eclipsed sun completely. Pretty happy. Seven years from now I will definitely be going to totality.

That was pretty neat.
The darkening while the sun is high is super weird.
Like someone slowly sliding a dimmer switch down.
Cool stuff, though it was still really bright at 3%

THE SUN IS A DEADLY LAZER

lt519

10 miles away from totality in 2024, definitely going to do that. My engineering firm just geeked out for a good 30 minutes, that was fun.

Get some very interesting lense flares/reflections whatever they are called. Took one straight up, then another through some welding glass we had in our shop about 10 minutes from our peak.

Top Bottom