• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Gilbert is a god amongst men, has won every race he's participated in since half april.
Wiggins lost time as well it seems. Evans won some obviously.
Extremely interesting first day :D.

kch

Gilbert...that was class. He was in total control from the last 2km. That finish was pretty much made for him, though.

Leonsito

Gilbert is a beast, holy fuck.

Also fuck that spectator, and Contador too, why the fuck are you in the middle of the group?

That spectator really had an impact on the race. Top contenders really hit by that crash. I'm sure Evans will find a way to melt down over the next three weeks though. He seems cursed in France.

Kabouter

Kung Fu Jedi said:
That spectator really had an impact on the race. Top contenders really hit by that crash. I'm sure Evans will find a way to melt down over the next three weeks though. He seems cursed in France.
It's not so much a curse as him just not having had that little bit extra on the heaviest climbs, and him not having the tactical insight to compensate either.

Results up here: http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/fr/100/classement/index.html

Kabouter said:
It's not so much a curse as him just not having had that little bit extra on the heaviest climbs, and him not having the tactical insight to compensate either.

Right, but thats why I say he seems to be cursed. With his experience and skill, he shouldn't be having some of those issues, and yet he always seems to find a way to take himself out of contention. Last year's crash and elbow fracture while a minute and a half up doesn't help matter either.

Pacbois

1. GILBERT Philippe 32 OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO 4h 41' 31"
2. EVANS Cadel 141 BMC RACING TEAM 4h 41' 34" + 00' 03"
3. HUSHOVD Thor 51 TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
4. ROJAS Jose Joaquin 88 MOVISTAR TEAM 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
5. VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen 31 OMEGA PHARMA - LOTTO 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
6. THOMAS Geraint 117 SKY PROCYCLING 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
7. KLÖDEN Andréas 74 TEAM RADIOSHACK 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
8. TAARAMAE Rein 151 COFIDIS LE CREDIT EN LIGNE 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
9. HORNER Christopher 72 TEAM RADIOSHACK 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"
10. MARTIN Tony 175 HTC - HIGHROAD 4h 41' 37" + 00' 06"

No Voeckler in the top 10 :(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Glad I tuned in. Usually first stages are a dull affair but this one provided some good entertainment, specifically the last 10km.

Pacbois

So it seems that Andy Schleck also lost time. He is listed a 1"20 with Contador. Evans really won some precious time.

35. CONTADOR Alberto 001 SAXO BANK SUNGARD 04:42:51 00:01:20
39. SCHLECK Andy 011 TEAM LEOPARD-TREK 04:42:51 00:01:20

Kabouter

Pacbois said:
So it seems that Andy Schleck also lost time. He is listed a 1"20 with Contador. Evans really won some precious time.
Well, it depends. Those who lost time because of the second fall won't lose time in the GC, and we don't really know who these people are. Gesink for instance didn't finish with the first 120, but he did not lose time because he didn't fall until he was within 3km from the finish.

Cynicism: You still care about cycling in the year 2011.

bicycle-accident-claims02.jpg

bjaelke

Well the other contenders will need more than 1:20 to beat Contador and Schelck if last year's tour is any indication.

4UaGe.png

Kabouter

Ok, results updated now, important riders who lost time:
Contador - 1m20
Samuel Sanchez - 1m20
Ryder Hesjedal - 1m55
Roman Kreuziger - 1m55

So just to be clear, Gesink, Wiggins, Leipheimer and both Schlecks only lost the three seconds to Evans, that's it.

Kabouter said:
Ok, results updated now, important riders who lost time:
Contador - 1m20
Samuel Sanchez - 1m20
Ryder Hesjedal - 1m55
Roman Kreuziger - 1m55

So just to be clear, Gesink, Leipheimer and both Schlecks only lost the three seconds to Evans, that's it.

That's a big point on the Schlecks in particular. Contador will have a much harder time picking up time on Andy than Cadel.

kch

Contador 01' 20" behind after the first stage is pretty amazing. Karma for the chain incident from last year. Maybe some special meat will save him. Honestly though I'm kinda worried about what form the Schlecks are in. Seeing Evans up there is a good sign at least.

tirant

kch said:
Contador 01' 20" behind after the first stage is pretty amazing. Karma for the chain incident from last year. Maybe some special meat will save him. Honestly though I'm kinda worried about what form the Schlecks are in. Seeing Evans up there is a good sign at least.

you are sad...

bjaelke

Start times for tomorrow's TTT (GMT+1):
1. Saxo Bank SunGard 14.30
2. Euskaltel - Euskadi 14.37
3. Vacansoleil-Dcm 14.44
4. AG2R La Mondiale 14.51
5. Saur-Sojasun 14.58
6. Rabobank Cycling Team 15.05
7. FDJ 15.12
8. Liquigas-Cannondale 15.19
9. Team Garmin - Cervelo 15.26
10. Team Europcar 15.33
11. Quick Step Cycling Team 15.40
12. Movistar Team 15.47
13. Pro Team Astana 15.54
14. Katusha Team 16.01
15. Sky Procycling 16.08
16. Lampre - ISD 16.15
17. Cofidis Le Credit En Ligne 16.22
18. Team Radioshack 16.29
19. HTC - Highroad 16.36
20. Team Leopard-Trek 16.43
21. BMC Racing Team 16.50
22. Omega Pharma - Lotto 16.57

Tarazet

Great stage. I really liked the intermediate sprint being as important as it was, it was like a stage finish to break up the monotony in the middle. Gilbert got green today for winning the stage, as expected, but Farrar got an early leg up on his sprinter rivals by being attentive and taking the 13 points for 4th place.

Kabouter

Tarazet said:
Great stage. I really liked the intermediate sprint being as important as it was, it was like a stage finish to break up the monotony in the middle. Gilbert got green today for winning the stage, as expected, but Farrar got an early leg up on his sprinter rivals by being attentive and taking the 13 points for 4th place.
Truly was a great stage yes, Gilbert was incredible, or as Mark Cavendish said it:
Mark Cavendish said:
Gilbert humbled everyone with the equivalence of pulling down his pants to reveal a 13incher.

Oh, and on the Green Jersey thing:
Mark Cavendish said:
Think it'll be hard to adapt menality to intermediate sprints. SO different than sprinting at end for win & hard to sprint for a minor place

seanoff

Hushovd is wearing the Polka dots.

LOLOLOLOLOL Thor is know for many things, climbing mountains isn't one of them

Kabouter

seanoff said:
Hushovd is wearing the Polka dots.

LOLOLOLOLOL Thor is know for many things, climbing mountains isn't one of them
I don't know man, in attempting to get/getting the green jersey over the past few years, he's done some serious climbing. And certainly, he's always been the best climber amongst the sprinters.

bjaelke

Two years ago he went in a break to secure the green jersey. It involved quite some nasty climbing, but he managed to get himself into a favorable position by doing that.

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
Two years ago he went in a break to secure the green jersey. It involved quite some nasty climbing, but he managed to get himself into a favorable position by doing that.
Yeah, that was what I was specifically remembering. Was during one of the heaviest stages in that TdF if I remember correctly.

Dakota47

Kabouter said:
Truly was a great stage yes, Gilbert was incredible, or as Mark Cavendish said it:

lol awesome quote. I wouldn't want to be cycling with a thirteen incher. Not very convenient.

bjaelke

Andy Schleck is a slight favorite to take the overall win after stage 1. Just checked the odds and he has the edge on Contador: http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/cycling/tour-de-france/winner
Kabouter said:
Yeah, that was what I was specifically remembering. Was during one of the heaviest stages in that TdF if I remember correctly.
Yeah, that stage had full coverage. Evans also tried to get away in the beginning, but he was still a podium contender at that time and never managed to close the gap.

Kabouter

Sanchez basically has zero chance of doing well in the GC at this point, with the time he lost yesterday + the time they're losing today.

Saxo Bank looked very sloppy btw, surprised it was as fast as it was.

bjaelke

I think they got the best out of the squad. Was a bit surprised that Naval was dropped after 10km. I doubt they'll lose more than 30 sec today.

First stage yesterday was great, lovely vortex of bikes when that spectator was clipped. Always good to see Hushovd in the running, more entertainment value. Cavendish delivering the comedy as well, good times.

Kabouter

lol @ even Vacansoleil, who have nothing to gain/lose today, being faster than Euskaltel. Sanchez just has stage wins to go for now.

Edit: Rabobank :D

Kabouter

Wowwwww Rabobank, usually don't expect much of them in TTTs, but damn, this was pretty nice. Though undoubtedly, it will be beaten by teams like Sky and Garmin.

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
They really picked up steam at the end of the course.

Garmin with a good time!
Yeah, and looking at the footage, Garmin is really only getting into their groove now. They are going to be setting a very fast time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom