• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bjaelke said:
Thor getting the yellow jersey?
KuGsj.gif

Might Be. Great pic from from the introductions a few days ago.

The God of Thunder.

YZmIL.jpg

Wow Contador really sucks without his steroids. I feel like this is the first year in decades where there is an even playing field in the sense that no racer is on steroids for once

Leonsito

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow Contador really sucks without his steroids. I feel like this is the first year in decades where there is an even playing field in the sense that no racer is on steroids for once

... fuck off

The HTC guy who fell today... Eisel. Did he come in on time? I heard that the slowest on the team can lose up for 30% of the time of the rest. I wonder if he made that.

Can't wait for tomorrow. Sprint finish most likely, so that's not that interesting, but hopin for some good escape attempts.

We only have 2 fantasy tour teams for GAF on Velogames. If you have a team on that site, join the neoGAF league!

bjaelke

perfectchaos007 said:
Modl_s_Contador_ove_514729y.jpg

perfectchaos007 said:

Wow. Just wow. You really don't know anything about the sport, do you?

bobnowhere said:
Might Be. Great pic from from the introductions a few days ago.

The God of Thunder.

YZmIL.jpg

And this is awesome! :)

mf.luder

I am waking at up 8 every morning to catch this. I found the channel and cannot turn away! Such a sprint at the end there.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Agreed on new green jersey sprints being far superior this year. In a little schadenfreude mood at seeing Cavendish screw up his final sprint again - he's got no one to blame but himself.

kottila

Great team work by Garmin who probably would be satisfied if they didn't achive anything the rest of the Tour. Yellow jersey for two days and two stage wins. Total failure for HTC

Tarazet

perryfarrell said:
The HTC guy who fell today... Eisel. Did he come in on time? I heard that the slowest on the team can lose up for 30% of the time of the rest. I wonder if he made that.

They all made it. It's 25%.

Tarazet

Mark Cavendish and Thor Hushovd were both relegated from the results of the intermediate sprint. Hushovd drifted from his line, and Cavendish headbutted him to set him straight. It looked pretty straightforward to me from the aerial, but apparently the commissaries didn't agree.

bjaelke

The stage today looks suited for Gilbert. I wonder if Contador will try something. Not that he will gain more than a few seconds, but he could use it to make a statement (like he did in the Giro).
SNV1L.jpg

Tarazet said:
Mark Cavendish and Thor Hushovd were both relegated from the results of the intermediate sprint. Hushovd drifted from his line, and Cavendish headbutted him to set him straight. It looked pretty straightforward to me from the aerial, but apparently the commissaries didn't agree.
Seems like a stupid decision by ASO. The intermediate sprint was really intense, but their behavior was acceptable given the circumstances. It's not as if they were throwing bike tires after each other - it was merely a fight for positions.

Kabouter

bjaelke said:
The stage today looks suited for Gilbert. I wonder if Contador will try something. Not that he will gain more than a few seconds, but he could use it to make a statement (like he did in the Giro).
SNV1L.jpg

Seems like a stupid decision by ASO. The intermediate sprint was really intense, but their behavior was acceptable given the circumstances. It's not as if they were throwing bike tires after each other - it was merely a fight for positions.
I'm thinking while Gilbert might well win the stage today, we could see Evans in the yellow. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

kottila

Kabouter said:
I'm thinking while Gilbert might well win the stage today, we could see Evans in the yellow. In fact, I'm almost certain of it.

David Millar has a couple of seconds on him, so he should try to stick to his back as long as possible. Love that they have more of these "classics" stages, instead of the 200km straight sprinters stages.

edit: and the weather is crappy too. Great!

bjaelke

kottila said:
Has he even been mention as a winning candidate this year?
Before the start he was a podium contender with Schleck/Contador taking the yellow to Paris. First two stages have put him in a favorable position and he's a serious candidate now. He'll gain seconds on Schleck in the ITT and can at the same time afford to lose some time to Contador.

Edit: check the latest odds here: http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/cycling/tour-de-france/winner

Kabouter

lol, commentator just mentioned a story about Johnny Hoogerland, one of the escapees today. Apparently he has a girlfriend in the North-Eastern part of the Netherlands, where he himself is from the South-Western part. When he goes to see her, he just goes on bike, so he combines training and travel. 300+ km in a day as training, pretty nice.

Edit: Evans talking with Gilbert, interesting. Wonder what they had to talk about...

bjaelke

Kabouter said:
Edit: Evans talking with Gilbert, interesting. Wonder what they had to talk about...
Looks like he's trying to find several allies. From sporza.be (google translate):
Gilbert spoke yesterday with Alberto Contador: "He has lost a lot of time and wants to get back. Sooner or later this week. We can help each other, he can be an ally. I love his wheel in the eye."

perfectchaos007 said:

Don't worry. Bjarne Riis got a little something to enhance his performance.

19yXT.jpg

kottila

Fantastic stage. great win by Evans and I've never seen Thor as exhausted as he was after managing to come in on the same time

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
God of Thunder keeps his yellow feathers and Contador showing some fighting spirit - testing the waters or to show others that he's still in contention.

Expected a classic Evans headbutt but he was too busy trying to hug Big George and blushing with pride at BMC.

Pacbois

Hum, looking a the standings I think we could see a nice fight during the pre-alps between Franck Schleck and Cadel Evans.

bjaelke

Damn, that was a sweet finish! Too bad Contador couldn't finish the job - he deserved it after animating the climb. Andy Schleck lost 8 seconds to Hushovd on a MTF
KuGsj.gif

Tarazet

This has been a pretty amazing start to the Tour. Even though we've had a few crashes that wound up shaping the GC, it's actually been less dangerous than in years past. There used to routinely be a GC contender or two breaking their shoulder in the first couple of days (see Frank Schleck last year or Christian Vandevelde every year). But it's also been more exciting.

The intermediate sprints are definitely a success, though I still don't see the logic in yesterday's relegation. Rojas has green now because he has been aggressive and well-placed all the time, and that's what it ought to be. I can only see it getting even deeper and more interesting from here.

Evans winning the stage and still not getting yellow is pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone was expecting.

Kabouter

Yeah, this tour is over for Brajkovich from the looks of things. Edit: Yep, over.
Hopefully the Rabo's who crashed will be fine.

Btw, what a bunch of douchebags in the peloton. Seriously Garmin? You keep going full pace?

Edit: I really don't know what the fuck is up with all the teams this year, nobody seems to be waiting for major GC contenders when there is a fall. I hate that this is happening to cycling :/. Now Leopard-Trek going full-power on the front.

kottila

So I guess Rojas will be declassified from the sprint today, since he wandered across half the road and blocked Cav from coming up

everybody is going down today. Boonen down :/ looks like he's not continuing.

oh snap, now Boonen? Seemingly chill leg of TDF, but man have there been some crashes today.

Boonen still not up, not looking great.

Go Boonen, one tough dude!

oh man, just saw a replay of that Motorcycle ripping Sorensen's bike away from under him and driving away with it. Apparently race director has already been on the radio and told the motorcyclist that he needs to meet him tonight so he can say goodbye. Fired over the radio, ouch.

bjaelke

keyboardcat said:
Go Boonen, one tough dude!

oh man, just saw a replay of that Motorcycle ripping Sorensen's bike away from under him and driving away with it. Apparently race director has already been on the radio and told the motorcyclist that he needs to meet him tonight so he can say goodbye. Fired over the radio, ouch.
Sørensen is one lucky dude considering the speed! Someone should make a gif of it and put "like a boss" at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom