• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

anyone have any kind of outreach to the DEVs? clearly they can see the "nintendo approach" theyre taking with this game isnt for the best. not even bots? this game looks great, but my kids arent going to be much competition and wrangling up the fellas usually means im going out to see tits or drink something, not hit the couch and twiddle thumbs :( help us SP guys out devs.....please.

anyone have any kind of outreach to the DEVs? clearly they can see the "nintendo approach" theyre taking with this game isnt for the best. not even bots? this game looks great, but my kids arent going to be much competition and wrangling up the fellas usually means im going out to see tits or drink something, not hit the couch and twiddle thumbs :( help us SP guys out devs.....please.
Actually, just dev. Not devs. Singular dev. One dev. A dev. Hence the lack of online.

So HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS FUN! I just played 1v1 for like 3 hours and it was a goddamn blast. I cannot wait to play 4 player next week, it's gonna rock my socks right off my feet.

Yeah, they're little tests where you have to, for instance (because that's all I've done so far), navigate a level and hit targets as quickly as possible. Reminds me of little challenges Brawl had. You get rated for completing them under a certain time, and there are achievements tied to their completion.

Could you make a case for buying this for the SP only?

Wehrwolf

Ugh, I'm waiting for the + discount but at this point it's downright silly to waste 3 hours to save $3.

I just bought it, which means the discount should be up in a few minutes...

(no, I don't actually think that.. and at any rate, I decided the game is worth at least $15 anyway, not going to feel bad paying that)

Five

Banned
This game is really good. I've been playing it with my brother basically since it unlocked on PSN. We'll have to get much better because the Quest mode is pretty challenging, but in the best kind of way. It's also a lot of fun to play against each other, so I imagine we'll be doing a fair amount of that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have PS+ but the game is showing up as $14.99 for me. Anyone else having this issue? I'll try again in the morning, I guess.

It's too bad low budget multiplayer games can't use Remote Play like a wrapper to enable internet multi easily. There would be a "home field advantage", but it'd be better than nothing.

Anyone use Wii U pro controllers with this game? More specifically, what buttons are used on the controller?

I have the Mayflash Wireless adapter and want to use 4 wii u pro controllers but have to use Dinput in order to sync 4 at the same time. I want to make sure all the buttons will work.

Rambo20

Neo Member
How do character unlocks work? Do i have to play through the quest mode to unlock all the characters, or is it just by playtime?

I played quest mode last night and it's great. Pretty damn challenging. A lot tougher than I expected.

Hopefully my friends don't suck ass and actually play the damn thing with me over some beers.

ultron87

I haven't bought it yet because I was waiting for the PS+ discount to show up. Hopefully that has shown up by the time I get home.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's too bad low budget multiplayer games can't use Remote Play like a wrapper to enable internet multi easily. There would be a "home field advantage", but it'd be better than nothing.
It can, once Onlive support is in. It just won't have proper matchmaking.

Shady859

Looks fun but no online = no buy. I rarely do IRL gaming meetups with friends anymore and the GF I don't see being any fun to play against because she sucks.

PBY

Banned
That's kind of my argument to any multiplayer- I'd rather have a mediocre online experience instead of not being able to play it at all.

:(

Any guides for how to get the trophies or unlock characters? I played through Quest mode on normal and unlocked Towerforge. Now I'm playing in Hardcore in an attempt to unlock more levels/characters.

Platy

Unlocked from start are 8 stages.

Each has a Quest mode with 5/7 waves with normal and hardcore dificulty and 3 trial modes.

I am almost 100% sure that there are unlockable stages

edit :
And it takes way more than 2 hours to do everything with the best score =P

I've unlocked 4 stages so far. The fourth was a very satisfying, old school way to unlock it, my friend and I had fun figuring it out. Don't use a guide or anything, just keep playing and explore what the game has to offer you. I know there's gotta be even more to unlock.

This game is really something.

OuiOuiBa

Steam is getting some kind of native Onlive support, and I guess they could find a way to get two or more players in the same local game if they really wanted to.
I would not count on it. This would probably come with terrible lag (no match against dedicated network code), in which case I would agree with Polygon.

(...) And it takes way more than 2 hours to do everything with the best score =P
Agreed.
The best trials times (the jewel icon) are very challenging to me :)

Timeaisis

I just went for it last night. $3 isn't worth waiting another day.

Also, this game is super fun. Played it with my wife 1v1 last night and had a blast. Even with just two people it's really awesome. Mechanics are super simple and easy to learn. Definitely has that "easy to learn, hard to master" thing going on. I've only unlocked 1 stage and 1 character at the moment, but only played for an hour and a half. Looking forward to more tonight!

Mononoke

Banned
Was pretty excited about this, but all my friends and family live in different cities/states. Was bummed to hear there is no online multiplayer. :( I'm still considering getting this, as I have a really close friend that always comes over to play games. So I guess 2 players should be enough to have fun? We'll play Smash Bros 1 vs 1 (well at least that has AI), and Killer Instinct X1 for reference. The co-op mode should be fun at least.

Was pretty excited about this, but all my friends and family live in different cities/states. Was bummed to hear there is no online multiplayer. :( I'm still considering getting this, as I have a really close friend that always comes over to play games. So I guess 2 players should be enough to have fun? We'll play Smash Bros 1 vs 1 (well at least that has AI), and Killer Instinct X1 for reference. The co-op mode should be fun at least.

Meetup.com. Or search for local gaming groups on Google or Facebook.

I joined a local college's gaming club Facebook group, started a discussion, and ended up kicking off a weekly meetup. I can now simply drive there after work on Fridays.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I would not count on it. This would probably come with terrible lag (no match against dedicated network code), in which case I would agree with Polygon.

Agreed.
The best trials times (the jewel icon) are very challenging to me :)
OnLive already does online multiplayer over their own network. I doubt they would offer or advertise it if the lag was terrible.

It's great 1v1, and you can do quest move that way.

Was about to order a third DS4, then I remembered I could use the vita ;)
Holy shit please tell me this works. I only have one PS4 controller, but I have 2 Vita's. That would make this an instabuy for me.

I mean...more so than I already wanted it, but at least I wouldn't have to buy another controller just yet..

Top Bottom