• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Towerfall: Ascension |OT| (PC, PS4) 2014's Best Reviewed T_____fall game

Damn. This game is a lot of fun. Haven't even tried it multiplayer yet. I'll definitely get a lot of mileage out of the Quest Mode.

So, any ps4 owners with Vitas care to try out the possibility of using that beautiful portable as a controller please?

I'll be your
psn
friend!

3 players, max arrows, starting shields, start with laser arrows and infinite bounce on mirage. Some of the most phone I've had gaming in a while. I'll probably stream later.

Shroudent

So you could play with, say, a Vita and 2 DS4s?
Yup. When you remote play on the vita it disconnects the dual shock 4, so when you turn the dual shock 4 back on it ask who is using the controller. So just make sure to login as a different profile that's being used on the vita or login as a guest.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Actually having fun with Quest mode in solo play. Nice difficulty.

Real fun starts this weekend when I can invite friends over. So glad Vita works as extra controller.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Worth buying it at all without online? A simple yes or no.

Debating if I should buy.

PS. I only have 1 ps4 controller

MercuryLS

Banned
Pay attention to the light bar when you're swapping between characters, the color changes to match the character. Cool little touch.

Platy

Worth buying it at all without online? A simple yes or no.

Debating if I should buy.

PS. I only have 1 ps4 controller

I already payed more for faster experiences than towerfall's singleplayer.

And it is the start of the generation .... you REALLY don't think you will have more than one controller down the line ? =P

It is on sale !

Timeaisis

This game is freakin' amazing. The wife and I have been playing 1v1 and Quest for the past 3 hours. It's super addictive, twitchy, but actually somewhat deep.

I know people are complaining about no online, and yeah that sucks, but it's made by one guy so you got to cut him some slack. If you have at least one other friend or SO that can play this with you, it's definitely worth it. 1v1 is still a blast. I can't wait to try out 4-player soon. Quest mode is a fun addition, but versus is the main draw.

TL;DR buy this game if you have at least 1 friend you can play with.

aro52

I'm terrible at this game solo! Stuck on the 4th wave of the 2nd tower already. That said, I can definitely see this being a blast with a few friends and a few beverages.

bought the game anyways cause....

1. my ps4 needed it.
2. supporting indies
3. earlier someone mentioned its a single dev.

glad i did. these trials....whew. i will be at this for a while.

Jigolo

I was stuck on the flight level for like 30 min. As you play it though you pick up on the movements better and it becomes easier to maneuver your character. I'm playing through the game on normal first.

BlueMagic

I'm a long time Matt Thorson fan, and I'm currently loving Towerfall. Played a couple of hours with my brother, both Versus and Quest are really fun.
However I can't shake the feeling that it certainly has some (at the very least) weird design choices. For example, how come you can't throw arrows in more than 8 directions? The game came out on ouya and then PC/PS4, all of which have great options for analogue controllers. Feels like the auto aim of the arrows was added to make up for this 'restriction', which is also something I'm not fan of. Analogue controls + no auto following arrows would make hitting targets so much deeper and satisfying IMO.
A lot of the time you are having trouble hitting one of those fire lamps just because you can't adjust the direction well enough. This is made up for via some good level design, but still I think there's some unexploited potential here.
Also, loving the movement controls, they feel really tight (Matt has always been perfect in that sense though).

Glad I listened to the reviews and gaf's opinion on this.

Played 3 hours straight, solo, didn't even realize it. The game is a blast! Can't wait to play it w some friends.

Good thing about it is that anyone can just jump right in. There's only 3 buttons you use the whole time, u don't have to memorize or learn moves, it's easy to pick up and play. Makes for a great party game.

I hope this guy makes part 2 with better grafix, and online mp. Would buy day one.

I'm a long time Matt Thorson fan, and I'm currently loving Towerfall. Played a couple of hours with my brother, both Versus and Quest are really fun.
However I can't shake the feeling that it certainly has some (at the very least) weird design choices. For example, how come you can't throw arrows in more than 8 directions? The game came out on ouya and then PC/PS4, all of which have great options for analogue controllers. Feels like the auto aim of the arrows was added to make up for this 'restriction', which is also something I'm not fan of. Analogue controls + no auto following arrows would make hitting targets so much deeper and satisfying IMO.
A lot of the time you are having trouble hitting one of those fire lamps just because you can't adjust the direction well enough. This is made up for via some good level design, but still I think there's some unexploited potential here.
Also, loving the movement controls, they feel really tight (Matt has always been perfect in that sense though).

Digital control is much tighter and more accurate than analog control. If you disagree, then feel free to enable the two modifiers under the variants menu that enable 360-degree free aim and disable seeking arrows.

BlueMagic

Digital control is much tighter and more accurate than analog control. If you disagree, then feel free to enable the two modifiers under the variants menu that enable 360-degree free aim and disable seeking arrows.

I swear I went through the variants and I didn't see the 360 aiming one (I did see the no autofollow but didn't make much sense with only 8 directions for 1v1). Now I feel really stupid, haha.
And I will keep thinking analog is better than 8 directions in general. Games can be designed around each of them but if movement is analog you can make it digital by aiming in any of the 8 directions anyway.

EDIT: Well I just played some matches with my brother, and we both definitely prefer 360 aiming. Feels much more natural and deeper (doing trick shots is easier with special arrows). We are still not sure about turning off auto aim for good though, it made the matches more exciting and intense because you had to be more aware of things coming your way.
Game just got a lot better for me. Thanks!

Timeaisis

I agree. I like eight-way shooting. Gives an extra depth of timing your arrow shots with movement and such. Free aim would be a lot easier to camp someone and snipe. Eight way promotes quick level movement, which is the heart and soul of this game.

I swear I went through the variants and I didn't see the 360 aiming one (I did see the no autofollow but didn't make much sense with only 8 directions for 1v1). Now I feel really stupid, haha.
And I will keep thinking analog is better than 8 directions in general. Games can be designed around each of them but if movement is analog you can make it digital by aiming in any of the 8 directions anyway.

EDIT: Well I just played some matches with my brother, and we both definitely prefer 360 aiming. Feels much more natural and deeper (doing trick shots is easier with special arrows). We are still not sure about turning off auto aim for good though, it made the matches more exciting and intense because you had to be more aware of things coming your way.
Game just got a lot better for me. Thanks!

Er... Seeking is pretty huge, I think. I haven't really tried playing with that disabled, but I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to hit someone at mid to max range like that.

Either way, that's one of the things that I really like about this game; the options to decide how you wanna play. There are 1v1 and FFA tournament variant presets that are pretty cool, and being able to set these presets per player as a sort of handicap is really nice. There are a couple neat combos, too; secret arrows and cursed bows, for example.

Timeaisis

Er... Seeking is pretty huge, I think. I haven't really tried playing with that disabled, but I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to hit someone at mid to max range like that.

Either way, that's one of the things that I really like about this game; the options to decide how you wanna play. There are 1v1 and FFA tournament variant presets that are pretty cool, and being able to set these presets per player as a sort of handicap is really nice. There are a couple neat combos, too; secret arrows and cursed bows, for example.

I haven't tried all the variants yet. What does FFA change?

What about secret arrows and cursed bows?

I haven't tried all the variants yet. What does FFA change?

What about secret arrows and cursed bows?

1v1 tournament is no autobalance, and bottomless symmetrical chests (they always show up in the middle, and keep spitting out new powerups on a timer once opened if there is no powerup waiting to be collected)

FFA is the same, but chests are not bottomless.

Secret arrows only displays your inventory for a moment after picking up an arrow. Cursed bow kills you if you try to shoot an arrow when your inventory is empty. Cursed dodging kills you if you dodge without catching an arrow or stomping on someone's head, so you can't just use it for movement.

Edit: So basically, combining the first two means you have to be fully aware of your inventory at all times and not ever mash the fire button mindlessly.

BlueMagic

I agree. I like eight-way shooting. Gives an extra depth of timing your arrow shots with movement and such. Free aim would be a lot easier to camp someone and snipe. Eight way promotes quick level movement, which is the heart and soul of this game.

Every single level has a lot of obstacles so that aspect is in no way compromised, really.

Timeaisis

1v1 tournament is no autobalance, and bottomless symmetrical chests (they always show up in the middle, and keep spitting out new powerups on a timer once opened if there is no powerup waiting to be collected)

FFA is the same, but chests are not bottomless.

Secret arrows only displays your inventory for a moment after picking up an arrow. Cursed bow kills you if you try to shoot an arrow when your inventory is empty. Cursed dodging kills you if you dodge without catching an arrow or stomping on someone's head, so you can't just use it for movement.

Edit: So basically, combining the first two means you have to be fully aware of your inventory at all times and not ever mash the fire button mindlessly.

Man, those all sound so awesome! Gotta try cursed doge for my next match with my wife. She loves spamming dodge for movement. Haha.

Every single level has a lot of obstacles so that aspect is in no way compromised, really.

Well, I didn't play that long in free-aim, so that's fair. I just preferred eight-way. To each their own. I'll try a free-aim match tonight. Do you turn homing off?

I love how customizable this game is.

Top Bottom