• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys for Bob is teasing a new Spyro game

Draugoth

Gold Member
Z5tqtEO.jpeg

1WA81n2.jpeg

It's been a long time since there's been a new Spyro the Dragon game, but some fans think that a new one could be in development. Back in May, developer Toys for Bob gutted its entire website; four months later, it has now been relaunched with a brand-new look and the team is clearly quite proud of its work with Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. The new site features the two characters very prominently, in multiple sections. Not only are the two characters towards the top of the page, their games are also featured in the "recent games" section, alongside a mystery game shrouded in purple.

That purple color and the prominence of Spyro on the company's website has gotten a bunch of fans speculating that Toys for Bob could be working on a new Spyro game. Much of this speculation comes from the Spyro Universe account on X/Twitter, which has a significant following. Is it a stretch? Maybe. But it's worth noting that Toys for Bob's first game as an independent studio is something that will be published by Microsoft. Spyro and Crash are both owned by Microsoft following the Activision acquisition, and Toys for Bob clearly has a passion for them. It would honestly be surprising if they were working on something that wasn't related to one or both of these characters!

via comic Book

Mownoc

It's the type of image you can see basically anything you want in it lol. The Robot/Skull face at the top left is far more noticeable than the Spyro thing. It is purple though.

Considering they had a tiki mask as their site earlier, which is more crash than spyro, and the cancelled crash 5 was supposed to be a spyro/crash crossover I'm wondering if there's a chance that project has been resurrected.

I'd prefer they keep them separate and just make Spyro 4 next though.

Last edited:

Holammer

Oh, thank god there's an outline showing what it's supposed to look like, because I saw a bunch of genitalia.

Hookshot

Gold Member
More Mario 64 less Donkey Kong 64 this time please. Crash 4 seemed to be way too bloated for most people to enjoy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really liked the Spyro collection, all 3 of the games (where's the PS5 60fps patch), but I have doubts that this dev will be able to make a proper new one. They kind of screwed up Crash 4.

Even worse
Formerly Toys for Sneed

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So they cancelled Crash 5 but Spyro is going to be made? I dunno.

I imagine Xbox send a few quid to Toys for Boys to pretend they are making an Astro Bot competitor for Xbox. Quieten the discontent until the Astro hype dies down.

Season 3 Ash GIF by STARZ

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm glad TfB weathered the storm, and a new Spyro isn't a bad idea, though I wonder how much the younger audience that it's likely aimed at will still resonate with it. Kids platformers that aren't on Switch or Roblox seem like a tough sell.

I'm probably more interested in the new Star Control game.

Mattyp

Gold Member
So they cancelled Crash 5 but Spyro is going to be made? I dunno.

I imagine Xbox send a few quid to Toys for Boys to pretend they are making an Astro Bot competitor for Xbox. Quieten the discontent until the Astro hype dies down.

Season 3 Ash GIF by STARZ

Yep certainly, a company that has a track record of amazing platform remakes is sitting around doing nothing, no game development, just pretending to develop to take some astrobot hype.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yep certainly, a company that has a track record of amazing platform remakes is sitting around doing nothing, no game development, just pretending to develop to take some astrobot hype.
You must agree the timing is suspect. I'm not disputing the quality of Toys for Bob but to the cynic it seems like damage control for Xbox. They could be making some original IP, if they were making a licenced IP then surely Crash is x10 more popular yet Crash 5 is cancelled.

I'd be happy with a new Spyro or a new Crash. I'd take this information with a grain of salt though.

Top Bottom