• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Virro

Picked up Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, and Ratchet & Clank for under 55 with tax. I thought Assassin's Creed was listed at $30 online, so I feel like I came away with a steal.

My store here in Houston was still in pretty good shape after yesterday though the PS3 section was a bit light. My guess is by the end of the week it'll be cleaned out.

Edeuinu

punkypine said:
anyone know how much you can sell uncharted for, if i bought it and sold it to gamestop?

Either find a friend and knock a few bucks off, or I'd say ebay. GS will give you nothing for it most likely. Or you can try Wal-mart without a receipt. :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Can you do the preorder trick online to ship to 3 different people? I did that for Fallout 3 CE last year and got the game for like $60. Tempted to do it again for Dj Hero for $75-80....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone spot any copies of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I know it isn't carried online, but I have a small hope that it might show up in store.

I just called my local TRU to see if they were going to stock Fallout 3: GOTY edition and they asked me if I wanted the expansion or what not...and I was like, "No, I was looking for the Game of the Year Edition which is the full game and includes all the expansions."

She suddenly skips ahead to, "Which system?" I reply "PS3" and she says, "Yeah, we've got some in stock right now," and I have no doubt she was referring to the regular edition. >.>

I'll just go early in the morning, pick up Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, and probably the Beatles: Rock Band or Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2.

Ricker

Is this valid in Canada?? the Toy's R Us in the Montreal area that I went to today said they don't have that deal,and they had it last year so I'm kinda sad now,was hoping to grab UC2,BL and Magna Carta 2 :(

Ricker said:
Is this valid in Canada?? the Toy's R Us in the Montreal area that I went to today said they don't have that deal,and they had it last year so I'm kinda sad now,was hoping to grab UC2,BL and Magna Carta 2 :(

No.

Read the OP.

Virro

MrPink93485 said:
I just called my local TRU to see if they were going to stock Fallout 3: GOTY edition and they asked me if I wanted the expansion or what not...and I was like, "No, I was looking for the Game of the Year Edition which is the full game and includes all the expansions."

She suddenly skips ahead to, "Which system?" I reply "PS3" and she says, "Yeah, we've got some in stock right now," and I have no doubt she was referring to the regular edition. >.>

The GOTY Edition comes out tomorrow, the 13th. I'd try again then. I had similar difficulty finding some games earlier today, the people seem helpful but not very knowledgeable. Probably depends on the store...

dark10x said:
Anyone spot any copies of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? I know it isn't carried online, but I have a small hope that it might show up in store.

As for NGS2, I'd call the store to see if they have it stocked. I didn't see any PS3 copies in my store when I was there earlier today and sometimes they lock that stuff behind the case, since its a mature title. They have a policy of doing that for certain games, and they always ask your age regardless of whether you look remotely close to 18 or not when you buy a mature title.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Of the 6 games I ordered online, the 4 non-preorders all shipped. The two preorders should be shipping tomorrow or the next. Rock on.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Virro said:
Picked up Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, and Ratchet & Clank for under 55 with tax. I thought Assassin's Creed was listed at $30 online, so I feel like I came away with a steal.
Damn, why couldn't my TRU have stock like that? I would've sprung for that set but they didn't have a single one of those, let alone the others I would have substituted.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
dark10x said:
I've got two stores in my area. Neither one of them have it in stock. The last guy I talked to said that if it wasn't listed on the website, it wouldn't be in the store either. He said some of the "M" rated games wouldn't be carried by Toys R Us. A bit hypocritical I think. I was hoping for a refund on one of the games as a solution but this is what I found out:

RBH said:
Return Policy
TRU's video game return policy is 45 days, unopened with a dated receipt or gift receipt. If the game is opened, it can only be exchanged with the same title. No exceptions.

Due to how the deal is rang up, the games that do not come up free can be returned or exchanged for it's full value. The game that rings up free cannot be returned or exchanged because it has no value, only if it is defective can it be exchanged for the same title. Make sure the free game is something you want, or you are pretty much boned.
I called my TRU and asked if they will let you return the game for a refund. I was told that you can return one of the games but they will only give you 66% of it's value. In other words, if you bought 3 games at $60/each and decided to get a refund in hopes of going to Wal-Mart or GameStop and getting the game you want, they would only refund $40. You might want to confirm it with another store, but it contradicts what's listed here..

I'm having a hard time too. To decide, anyway...

Thinking of Uncharted 2 at least, since I just played Uncharted for the first time (just started it) and it's great!

MoogPaul

My 1 non preordered game was shipped today. I'll be hitting up the Times Square TRU on Wednesday to use this deal further.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
MadOdorMachine said:
I've got two stores in my area. Neither one of them have it in stock. The last guy I talked to said that if it wasn't listed on the website, it wouldn't be in the store either. He said some of the "M" rated games wouldn't be carried by Toys R Us. A bit hypocritical I think. I was hoping for a refund on one of the games as a solution but this is what I found out:

I called my TRU and asked if they will let you return the game for a refund. I was told that you can return one of the games but they will only give you 66% of it's value. In other words, if you bought 3 games at $60/each and decided to get a refund in hopes of going to Wal-Mart or GameStop and getting the game you want, they would only refund $40. You might want to confirm it with another store, but it contradicts what's listed here..

I have an update for those who are planning on returning one of the games for a full refund. I called another Toys R Us in my area and was told again that if you return one of the games from this sale you will only get a partial refund. In other words, if they don't have one of the games you want (in my case I was going to buy Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend & Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 or Wii Sports Resort w/2 m+ attachments) you will not be able to get a full refund for a third game you were going to get with the intention of returning it. If they allowed that to happen, you would essentially be buying one game and getting another free.

The only other option I can think of for someone who's in the same predicament as me is to buy a third game you don't want and take your chances on someone like Wal-Mart refunding the money to you. If you are going to do this, make sure you call Wal-Mart before you go to Toys R Us and ask them if they will refund you the money for whatever game it is that want to exchange. Just make sure it's the same value as the price of the game you plan on exchanging it with.

noquarter

Don't forget you also have 45 days to return unopened games, so you could hold one of the games and take it in to get something in the future (like Ratchet and Clank or MW2)

You could also return all three if they aren't opened and go to Best Buy to have them price match TRU, they carry NGS2.

RBH

speculawyer said:
Anyone get this to work? I tried to get Mafia 2 to work but it didn't.
Pre-orders aren't working for the deal anymore.

Looks like TRU fixed the glitch on their website.

MadOdorMachine said:
The only other option I can think of for someone who's in the same predicament as me is to buy a third game you don't want and take your chances on someone like Wal-Mart refunding the money to you. If you are going to do this, make sure you call Wal-Mart before you go to Toys R Us and ask them if they will refund you the money for whatever game it is that want to exchange. Just make sure it's the same value as the price of the game you plan on exchanging it with.

Why are you scheming so hard? That horrible you return policy you are fretting over is essentially reducing the sale to 33% off any game, a much better deal than having to buy 3 games.

rc213

Sucks that none of my friends have any interest in gaming. Wish there were 3 games I wanted to take advantage of the sale.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Son of Godzilla said:
Why are you scheming so hard? That horrible you return policy you are fretting over is essentially reducing the sale to 33% off any game, a much better deal than having to buy 3 games.
Damn dude, I was just trying to help and you make me feel all dirty. All I'm saying is that people should know what they're getting into before they make a purchase. I guess the OP is a little grey on the explanation of "returning or exchanging a game for it's full value." I was trying to clarify how that's going to work. Getting a full refund isn't going to happen. Perhaps an exchange.

MadOdorMachine said:
Damn dude, I was just trying to help and you make me feel all dirty. All I'm saying is that people should know what they're getting into before they make a purchase. I guess the OP is a little grey on the explanation of "returning or exchanging a game for it's full value." I was trying to clarify how that's going to work. Getting a full refund isn't going to happen. Perhaps an exchange.
The standard for these things is that everything depends on your retail monkey. You should never phone ahead because they might go and find out the official line, and worse, remember it. I've gotten full refunds from returning items in a B2G1 deal before when I was expecting a reduced rate, and shot down completely (return everything or get out). You should always go in expecting the worse, and you should never act like you are trying to game their sale.

But yes, they are not going to hand you $60 cash for a game you paid $40.

And also I wasn't joking about that actually being a really good deal. Getting any game out there right now 33% off is great. Hell, getting 2 games for 33% off is great.

SonOfABeep said:
online is where it's at with the extra $10 off. Probably more likely to do returns in-store too later on.
Meh.

Why don't they have Wii Sports Resort with 2 Motion+ controllers online?

And FallOut 3:GOTY (which doesn't come out until tomorrow) says it is 'sold out'?

Man it's going to be hard to take advantage of this sale when I have to be in work all day. Plz let there be copies of BL and U2 when I get home!

Scythesurge said:
Man it's going to be hard to take advantage of this sale when I have to be in work all day. Plz let there be copies of BL and U2 when I get home!

I didn't want to take any chances and went and pre-ordered them. TRU isn't known for having mass quantities of games in stock here in Michigan, especially PS3 exclusives. =/

AppleBlade

Maybe it's because I value money more but $120 for 3 games still seems like a lot of money to me. I rather wait until I can get these games for $30 or less on Amazon (or on sale in a store), or better yet buy them used a year from now when Gamespot has a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Heck, you can even just get this year's games next year when Toys R Us does their buy 2 get 1 free sale again.

Square Triangle said:
I didn't want to take any chances and went and pre-ordered them. TRU isn't known for having mass quantities of games in stock here in Michigan, especially PS3 exclusives. =/

Yeah, I'm gonna try and jump up there on my lunch break tomorrow......should get them enough time the games in hopefully.

Virro said:

My store here in Houston was still in pretty good shape after yesterday though the PS3 section was a bit light. My guess is by the end of the week it'll be cleaned out.

Which store, I'm in Houston too. I really want to get Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, and Afrika...though I think Afrika will be unlikely since they still don't have a listing for it. --;

grenks

Neo Member
Anybody been to the TRU in Times Square yet? How the PS3 selection? Im lookin for these games mostly:

Batman
NBA 2K10
Sigma 2
Motorstorm 2

MrVargas said:
Maybe it's because I value money more but $120 for 3 games still seems like a lot of money to me. I rather wait until I can get these games for $30 or less on Amazon (or on sale in a store), or better yet buy them used a year from now when Gamespot has a buy 2 get 1 free sale. Heck, you can even just get this year's games next year when Toys R Us does their buy 2 get 1 free sale again.

$115 with tax for 3 games online.

I plan to sell 1 copy of uncharted for around $45 after fees on amazon.

$70 for Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend sounds pretty damn good to me, especially since I was buying both already.

Might go back for Dead Space, Katamari, and Little King's Story? I dunno.

JdFoX187

Banned
grenks said:
Anybody been to the TRU in Times Square yet? How the PS3 selection? Im lookin for these games mostly:

Batman
NBA 2K10
Sigma 2
Motorstorm 2
They're not carrying Sigma 2. I hope they have Motorstorm 2.

I've seen Motorstorm 2, but you can find that game for $15-30 on it's own. I guess if you have no other choices, but it can be had for less.

grenks

Neo Member
Ok thanks. I gotta look araound for a cheap motorstorm then. I could just order this shit online then cause batman and 2k10 is both on there and i guess ill just choose another game from the list they got.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Son of Godzilla said:
The standard for these things is that everything depends on your retail monkey. You should never phone ahead because they might go and find out the official line, and worse, remember it. I've gotten full refunds from returning items in a B2G1 deal before when I was expecting a reduced rate, and shot down completely (return everything or get out). You should always go in expecting the worse, and you should never act like you are trying to game their sale.

But yes, they are not going to hand you $60 cash for a game you paid $40.

And also I wasn't joking about that actually being a really good deal. Getting any game out there right now 33% off is great. Hell, getting 2 games for 33% off is great.
33% off is a good deal if it's a game you want to buy. There lies the problem. There are multiple people who have expressed concern about getting a third game. The problem is Toys R Us doesn't always carry them or doesn't have them at the moment. I was just trying to clarify the situation. You said yourself you've tried exchanging games, so I don't understand why you want to single me out for "scheming." It seems a bit hypocritical.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Had to buy the controller tonight... turns out you can't mix and match games with accessories. So Uncharted 2, Madden 10, and? Not sure yet.

Top Bottom