• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1-D_FTW said:
Have they completely altered the driving model? Tried the first single player map and couldn't get my car to power slide no matter what I did. Only other explanation I can think of is its my Razer Onza controller. Been playing GTA IV lately and cars handle like tanks. It doesn't seem like I have much range of motion anymore. But considering the overly sensitive nature of steering in Trackmania, I find it hard to believe this is the problem.

Except at this point it's clearly been debunked by the reality of the product. It's the same exact engine as the old games. It's not there because they want 100 percent of the sales profits. There's nothing wrong with that, but it goes back to the old "Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's rainwater."
I'm just saying, it's very relevant information and people coming fresh Into this thread will be uninformed about it, and thus I feel it should in OP. Regardless of what you think of it not being on steam.

Zapages

As part of a clan, I have to say the car handling sucks for a person on a keyboard compared to Nations Forever (Stadium) and it takes time to get used to the new mechanics/physics in the game. But some of the tracks on Full Speed server are fun and good. Overall they need to be more good tracks to be made.

1-D_FTW

enzo_gt said:
I'm just saying, it's very relevant information and people coming fresh Into this thread will be uninformed about it, and thus I feel it should in OP. Regardless of what you think of it not being on steam.

I don't know. The OP clearly states it's only available from two sources. Seems that's all it really needs. No sense politicizing their reasoning and getting into the debate of whether it's BS or not. Clearly, I've changed my opinion and now believe it is. I think the OP, however, would be wise to try and steer the conversation away from this debate. No one's going to be confused by the OP. It's not available on Steam.

CoolS

Been playing the SP for a few hours today and the drifting is SO satisfying when you pull it of and don't hit the sides :D My favourite track for this was A12 so far, so great.

Though sometimes I get the feeling it actually slows me down compared to just taking my finger of the gas for a second. Or maybe I'm drifting wrong..

strafer

dat corner

trackmania4uqg.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1-D_FTW said:
I don't know. The OP clearly states it's only available from two sources. Seems that's all it really needs. No sense politicizing their reasoning and getting into the debate of whether it's BS or not. Clearly, I've changed my opinion and now believe it is. I think the OP, however, would be wise to try and steer the conversation away from this debate. No one's going to be confused by the OP. It's not available on Steam.
Good point. Impossible to avoid the "y u no go on steam" questions though.

1-D_FTW

Couple extra points:

1.) The game definitely is significantly more demanding in 3rd person view. 460 GTX usage went from low 60s utilization in 1st person to 90+ in third person.

2.) The ballets are counted and I don't like this new Time System at all. I completely psyche myself out knowing one fuck up is putting me in another 5 minute que. Wasn't thrilled about even needing to run official laps in the first game, so this took it to an even more extreme position. Maybe it eliminates the luck angle, but the old adage in sports is what? "I'd rather be lucky than good." If somebody could run an incredible lap, no matter how fluky, it should post. This type of active antagonization is something I'd expect from a Japanese game.

Symphonic

1-D_FTW said:
Should work. I got that twice during the update. Did update, told to restart to complete update, did, told restart to update, did, and it worked on the third time both times. Thought for sure it was going to hang me in this loop, but the third time was the charm on both updates.

Been in an endless loop for me. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheExodu5 said:
I love the game to death, but I will still express my overall disappointment for Trackmania 2. The UI is still just as bad as the original game, and the game performs much worse, considering it's not really a major leap in visuals over TMNUF.
Screenshots seem to look a good bit better, is it not quite as impressive in reality? And dodgy UI sounds annoying, TM1 was a nightmare to navigate around, especially with a 360 pad.

Speaking of which, does it have good built in support for 360 pads?

Won't get round to buying this until the weekend..

mxgt

Banned
Tracks getting pretty darn frustrating in the red section.

Took me about 15 tries to ace D02. Official times are going to be a real time waster getting it perfect.

MEATER

I almost missed the release!

Didn't pre-order and didn't play the beta but it seems that installing a beta client is the only chance to get the game to run after buying it today... Downloaded the install several times but it wouldn't run through! Seems like they uploaded a broken .bin file.

bit disappointed with the graphics so far. not that big of an improvement and not as pretty as on the screens I drooled over.

only played single player for a bit so far. that didn't disappoint!

hope they got hotseat right again. that really used to rock!

1-D_FTW

Definitely like the game a whole lot better now that single-player is available.

And I knew I wasn't crazy about the graphics being better. Even crashes into the water are correct now. Used to be nothing but a mesh. Definitely been polished up a bit.

There were conflicting reports in the beta thread...

Can I download the client from Ubisoft a bazillion times if I buy it from them if I should wish to do so?

TouchMyBox said:
There were conflicting reports in the beta thread...

Can I download the client from Ubisoft a bazillion times if I buy it from them if I should wish to do so?
it's gamesplanet. normally you can download gamesplanet games as many times as you want.. so yes, probably.

vermadas

Wow, this "official race" timer bullshit has already pissed me off.

Once I was playing a track, beat the gold and about to do official race... oh the game froze. Play some more later, get gold on a track quickly but have to wait for the timer. Finally expires, I do a great run and then "unable to connect to server to verify time". Timer reset, nothing earned. Sonofabitch.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Gen X said:
I knew I should've got the Beta and paid for retail the other week when I looked at the Trackmania website. Oh well, it was only going to be an impulse purchase, I'll check back tomorrow. :D

Caved as soon as I got in the door from work. Funny thing is, I discovered I actually downloaded the Beta without paying, so half the work was done. Now the waiting game for the 408mb update.

gen_x is my username and will be jumping in the NeoGAF group as soon as the Beta has updated.

MY (car) BODY IS READY!

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
I love how this is essentially a Bizarro-version of Ridge Racer.

Not that I'm going to buy another Ridge Racer after this game, mind you.

Teknopathetic said:
No Ubisoft DRM, but it requires you to be online for Multiplayer (obviously) and the Single player mode, though you can play LAN, hot seat, and split screen modes offline.
Not sure if I understand, can I do track editing offline? Might take my laptop on holiday if so.

Gen X

Just starting to open up a can of worms. :D

2zz282q.jpg

How do you get different colours in your name?

dLMN8R

Wait, what the hell?

I just upgraded from the beta version to the final and don't see any Platform tracks anywhere :-(

Seriously? I can understand this game being limited to Canyon, but there are none of the other awesome modes like Platform from previous Trackmania games either??

Carm

Is there any way to completely unbind a key? I tend to push in my left analog stick while driving and that's currently the horn. I'd prefer it not beeping over and over again lol. I tried opening the config file before in notepad, but it was all gibberish.

Really don't like the 5 minute wait for official times. I was just starting single player, and it started an official run and I didn't even tell it to, which was odd.

strata8

Is this worth the price? I'm not sure whether to pick up this or just buy Trackmania United Forever for a few dollars more..

Gen X

darkressurection said:
Yay, I am number 10 in that pic! (although now I bet I am in last :D)

And you're third in this one. :D
I had to get a screenie for a 1st before too many people at GAF jump on board. ;)

16kdx7p.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Carm said:
Is there any way to completely unbind a key? I tend to push in my left analog stick while driving and that's currently the horn. I'd prefer it not beeping over and over again lol. I tried opening the config file before in notepad, but it was all gibberish.

Really don't like the 5 minute wait for official times. I was just starting single player, and it started an official run and I didn't even tell it to, which was odd.
Heh. I do this all the time in TM. Hopefully someone will tell you how to change it.

Top Bottom