• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Teknopathetic said:
http://i.imgur.com/U7pCH.png

It's strange that the group leaderboard isn't the same for everyone. I've had this time for a few hours now.

Well after I posted that screen I ran a benchmark and when I restarted I was prompted with an update with 2 files totaling around 17mb. When I reconnected it showed that I was 2nd on that track so perhaps the update fixed the leaderboard issue? Or otherwise the NZ internet decided to work properly for a few minutes. ;)

wiggleb0t

Banned
The replays look so gorgeous.

Was a little concerned as lots of the user maps in the beta put me off, however loving the official maps in solo mode.
Huge value for such a low priced game.

Gen X

Why can't I find any games online? I kinda expected a 'quick match' option or am I blind?

1-D_FTW

Carm said:
Is there any way to completely unbind a key? I tend to push in my left analog stick while driving and that's currently the horn. I'd prefer it not beeping over and over again lol. I tried opening the config file before in notepad, but it was all gibberish.

Really don't like the 5 minute wait for official times. I was just starting single player, and it started an official run and I didn't even tell it to, which was odd.

mrklaw said:
Heh. I do this all the time in TM. Hopefully someone will tell you how to change it.

Just spam when you rebind. Say for horn, keep rebinding it with the Y key and eventually that's all it will be. If that still doesn't work, keep spamming the steering bind with just the stick. I find this is one way override things and keep a single action to a single key.

On the off chance you don't know where the steering controls are, they're under the profile section.

stuminus3

I cannot believe I've been so excited about this since getting into the beta on launch day, then went home last night and completely forgot about it and played Dead Island instead.

There's a ManiaPlanet icon right there on my desktop, too. What a moron.

-SD-

Banned
Found a few pics of mine of the very first TrackMania. From 2003 :)

tm_dangling9dsx.jpg

tm1demo6e7d.jpg

TM PowerUp (2004)

trackmania_powerup_hqsunj.jpg

1-D_FTW

Unlike failures of mine with previous versions, I will absolutely be making a backup of my save file after I unlock the Black circuit. Always lost a ton of tracks whenever I'd reformat my hard drive and reset my Training Medals back to 0. Only recently did I eventually accumulate a large chunk of saved "Official Laps." I was lazy under the old system.

The new Time System can go suck a fuck. To me Trackmania is the ultimate Zen game. I can just chill out on some favorites of mine and play zero stakes races at will. With this current system, I feel like George Constanza and "THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!" So unless they change the system back, I'm not going to ruin my enjoyment by focusing on Official Laps anymore.

System really should have been kept in place and the timer mode added on top. So if you ran out of Planets, you were forced to ghetto it. The ghetto shouldn't have been the only method.

Rant aside, I do love these courses, graphics, and car handling. Definitely no regrets.

Milpool

Anyone else getting fairly frequent freezing? Had it twice in the last hour, both just when the timer ran down which allows an official attempt.

It crashed quite a lot for me in the beta but mainly in the track editor.

1-D_FTW

Milpool said:
Anyone else getting fairly frequent freezing? Had it twice in the last hour, both just when the timer ran down which allows an official attempt.

It crashed quite a lot for me in the beta but mainly in the track editor.

No crashes. But in third person view, my GPU pretty much runs at 99 percent the majority of the time. Maybe it's overheating in your system?

Or how much VRAM do you have? Under 1 GB? I sometimes go up to like 1002 MB of VRAM (and occassionally when loading in a track I get a Stut... Stut... Stut... Stutter that I attribute to VRAM. Am always able to recover from it though. Never actually crashed and always corrects itself soon enough.

Milpool

I have 1024MB vRAM, framerate is always around 60 with no stutter at all. The crashes in the track editor were always when I performed an action like clicking validate track, save track, save ghost, etc... While racing the crashes only seem to occur just before a race starts or just after I cross the finish line.

I'll leave HWMonitor running next time I play just to rule out temps though.

1-D_FTW

Milpool said:
I have 1024MB vRAM, framerate is always around 60 with no stutter at all. The crashes in the track editor were always when I performed an action like clicking validate track, save track, save ghost, etc... While racing the crashes only seem to occur just before a race starts or just after I cross the finish line.

I'll leave HWMonitor running next time I play just to rule out temps though.

I don't actually get stutter during races. Just every once in a while I'll go into slow motion stutter when loading a course (also had it occur in the editor when going to test drive.) Like it wants to crash, but my system powers through and fixes the issue without it happening. I've assumed since it occurs only when a new map loads, it was related to the VRAM. Maybe it's not. But the point is, I think I know what you're talking about. It's just instead of crashing, I get a slideshow for 5 seconds while it sorts its issues out. Guess I'll consider myself lucky on this one.

jet1911

dark10x said:
How's this bad boy run? Should I expect smooth framerates on modest hardware (i7 + 5870)?
I'm out of the loop in terms of gpu but on a i5 2500k and a gtx 560 I get 60fps with almost no slowdown. Everything maxed out.

epmode

So is anyone else seeing lights through the geometry? It's not very common (doesn't happen with all lights) and I only notice it on night tracks but it's definitely reproducible. I'm using the latest WHQL Nvidia drivers.

.nimrod said:
I finally made my first canyon car skin and shot some pics:

razzak3b.jpg

I might do a GAF version in orange if there is demand

Do one in the colors of the default forum color ;P

Pretty much wrap the forum onto the car ;)

1-D_FTW

dark10x said:
How's this bad boy run? Should I expect smooth framerates on modest hardware (i7 + 5870)?

It doesn't really use the CPU. I have a Q9400 @ 3.4Ghz and I don't think a single core has ever broken 50 percent usage.

Not sure how that compares with the 460GTX. If it's comparable or better, you should be fine.

DISCLAIMER: I run shaders on fast so I can use real AA @ 8X. Might not be so silky smooth with shaders on Ultra and AA using FXAA, but this method yields the most pleasing visuals IMO.

I dunno who this Tre' person is in the GAF group, but I've been having fun racing your ghosts :)

You're also a robot for being able to get times that good, and you should feel bad for us humans.

1-D_FTW

ArtistDude88 said:
I dunno who this Tre' person is in the GAF group, but I've been having fun racing your ghosts :)

You're also a robot for being able to get times that good, and you should feel bad for us humans.

Joke post? It's Teknopathetic if not.

ArtistDude88 said:

it's tekno

edit: well that was a useless post. uh. cool game!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Never played the first TM game, but was always interested. How is the overall handling of the cars in this? I'm not very "good" at sim racers, so if it's ultra realistic in that respect, probably won't drop cash on it...

nicoga3000 said:
Never played the first TM game, but was always interested. How is the overall handling of the cars in this? I'm not very "good" at sim racers, so if it's ultra realistic in that respect, probably won't drop cash on it...
canyon is almost like ridgeracer6/7 (aka. not at all sim anything)

1-D_FTW

nicoga3000 said:

Fast and arcadey. Quite a bit of drifting and they don't even offer the option of manual transmission. It's as far from sim as you can possibly get.

Being "good" at the game is a relative term though. There are some absolute robotic freaks playing this game. As long as you can accept you're not at their level, there's a ton of fun to be had.

Carm

1-D_FTW said:
Just spam when you rebind. Say for horn, keep rebinding it with the Y key and eventually that's all it will be. If that still doesn't work, keep spamming the steering bind with just the stick. I find this is one way override things and keep a single action to a single key.

On the off chance you don't know where the steering controls are, they're under the profile section.

You seemed to have misread my issue. I don't want left analog stick pushed in to do anything. I want that bind in options to read blank. That or I'm misunderstanding in my sleepy haze.

1-D_FTW

Carm said:
You seemed to have misread my issue. I don't want left analog stick pushed in to do anything. I want that bind in options to read blank. That or I'm misunderstanding in my sleepy haze.

Yeah. I was overly quick in reading and the stick directions was worthless info. But everything else is valid. Go into profile (Main Menu) - controller options and you can remap everything.

Just remap horn to another key and repeatedly spam bind until (example Y button) that button is the only option for horn. For some reason it allows multiple key binding to a single action, but binding the horn twice will defeat this.

EDIT:

Y Button = 3

If you don't want anything for horn, you can then reassign Y to another action and nothing will be bound to horn (aside from keyboard).

YCwvN.jpg

filipe

No matter what, the in-game environment looks low-texture at all times. No matter what I change, it's fucking ridiculous. I'm going to redownload and reinstall, but if that doesn't work, I'm requesting a refund.

Carm

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. I was overly quick in reading and the stick directions was worthless info. But everything else is valid. Go into profile (Main Menu) - controller options and you can remap everything.

Just remap horn to another key and repeatedly spam bind until (example Y button) that button is the only option for horn. For some reason it allows multiple key binding to a single action, but binding the horn twice will defeat this.

EDIT:

Y Button = 3

If you don't want anything for horn, you can then reassign Y to another action and nothing will be bound to horn (aside from keyboard).

That worked, nothing assigned to push in left analog stick, thanks. The way key binding is set up is pretty disappointing. They had years to get it right and it's essentially just TMUF, very lazy.

Gen X

I did the benchmark test and for all settings except Very Nice I get 59.8 fps. On the Very Nice setting I get 30fps which surprises me given my specs and that I can run everything else at max settings.

For the record..

i5 o/c to 3.4ghz
GTX 460 1gb
4gb Ram.

I too have had one or two lock ups, but I thought it was because it's a Ubisoft game (I also get frequent lock ups on Deus Ex HR, my only other Ubisoft game). I don't get lock ups on any other games or programs.

hamchan

Tekno's time on the first course is nuts. Even after the first corner he's a little bit ahead of me.

The 5 min wait to do an official run is pissing me off!

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
So tempted, used to play Nations a bit back in the day.. and the handling in this seems way more fun...

LuchaShaq

Banned
zoner said:
So yeah...

Game had no problem with my 360 controller in beta. Now it won't recognize half the buttons.

This, the map under input setting seems fine but in races it does not recognize the sticks or triggers.

Really frustrated and not sure what to do.

strata8

filipe said:
No matter what, the in-game environment looks low-texture at all times. No matter what I change, it's fucking ridiculous. I'm going to redownload and reinstall, but if that doesn't work, I'm requesting a refund.
I had this problem for a really long time (in other games). If you're using an ATI card, try going into CCC and changing the mipmap settings to 'Quality'.

Top Bottom