• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

Felt like logging in to the game tonight and getting my drive on, but, there were only 7 people playing across all the servers. SEVEN.

Holy cow that's depressing.

Dakota47

Felt like logging in to the game tonight and getting my drive on, but, there were only 7 people playing across all the servers. SEVEN.

Holy cow that's depressing.

Huh? I agree that there aren't many people playing but it's not that bad.

s9MXF.jpg

markot

Banned
This game goes on my list of 'why I buy?!' list of lists.

And its strong competition with RO2 for top spot >.<;

Sad that two series I liked can die so quick due to stupid decisions by devs.

I never even realised there was an |OT| for TM2.

I've been playing a little bit lately, but almost always with very few others. I'll get bored very quickly like this. It pisses me off because the game had such potential. Does anyone know of any TM community forums where I can see peoples opinions on the game or something, because the PlanetMania forums were useless.

Leonsito

Wait, it's been weeks since I read this thread and now seems like this ended in dissapointment, why?

I'm still waiting for the Steam release, hurry up!

Dina

Yeah, same. Had a few stinkers this year, RO2 being one of them. I had my fun with TrackMania, but it couldn't hold up to Skyrim and Battlefield. RO2, on the other hand, was a lesson in frustration. I'm done buying games that are half done.

Fired this up for the first time in a while yesterday since I've finished a few of the major fall games and I've been intrigued by Jeff talking about it week after week on the Bombcast.

Man, this game is fun.

Joined the Giant Bomb server to see if there was any ridiculous dubstep I could enjoy in an ironic fashion. Little did I expect to hear Persona 4 dubstep which is actually the greatest thing ever.

Gwanatu T

TM2 not being F2P fucked them over? How are Trackmania 1 numbers these days?

TM1 wasn't F2P either, only the indy car Nations was.

Also not having any sort of advertising and being DD only isn't helping. Is this at least on Steam now? I bought it back in September and played it for quite a few hours, but without any sort of variety like the other TM games had I don't feel the need to go back and play. The tracks are more boring too, can't put my thumb on why.

-SD-

Banned

1. What is RO2?

2. What "stupid decisions"?

I'm still waiting for the Steam release, hurry up!
You're not buying a game you want to play because it's not on Steam? That's awful, stupid, short sighted, discriminatory and many other lame things. No personal insult intented.

so what is the actual story on the player population for this game? it looks interesting, but i'm a little leery of buying into a community game with no community, and the dead silence on this thread worries me

The M.O.B

so what is the actual story on the player population for this game? it looks interesting, but i'm a little leery of buying into a community game with no community, and the dead silence on this thread worries me

There are still 2-3 filled servers at any given time, but the community has pretty much deserted this game.

Zapages

There are still 2-3 filled servers at any given time, but the community has pretty much deserted this game.

why, minus the reason that its felt like beta for the longest time after the release of the game. I am part of a clan... Usually what happens, we get about 3 to 5 players joining it after a while. :)

When I started seeing the screenshots rolling in, I was SO EXCITED about this game! Couldn't wait to drop another few hundred hours into it like I did in TMU. I immediately pre-purchased then played it.

After about a month or so, I just kind of went, "meh"... When or if they ever launch a F2P version, I'm sure that's when we'll start seeing a bunch of people flocking to it and make the game shine like never before.

dLMN8R

The game didn't sell that well, since the only way to buy it is through Nadeo's own site, which failed spectacularly when they first started taking orders. Who knows if that turned away a bunch of people from buying the game at all, but it can't have helped.

Then there's the fact that they've barely supported it at all since launch. I can't stand the UI, hosting servers is still stupid-hard, there aren't enough people playing enough to sustain a community of track makers to have people to make tracks for.

It's so fucking stupid that they never put the game on Steam. It doesn't matter what their plans are for ManiaPlanet. They're totally cannibalizing their sales. They have absolutely no visibility in any store, no one will ever randomly discover it anywhere and go "hey this looks cool". They could put it on sale for 90%-off and probably sell practically nothing, simply because it's not anywhere where anyone can see it.

Who knows if it was Ubisoft's fault or Nadeo's fault, but they basically killed their own game before it was even released.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
i still play occasionally, but it does feel like the game never really took off.

The M.O.B

The game didn't sell that well, since the only way to buy it is through Nadeo's own site, which failed spectacularly when they first started taking orders. Who knows if that turned away a bunch of people from buying the game at all, but it can't have helped.

Then there's the fact that they've barely supported it at all since launch. I can't stand the UI, hosting servers is still stupid-hard, there aren't enough people playing enough to sustain a community of track makers to have people to make tracks for.

It's so fucking stupid that they never put the game on Steam. It doesn't matter what their plans are for ManiaPlanet. They're totally cannibalizing their sales. They have absolutely no visibility in any store, no one will ever randomly discover it anywhere and go "hey this looks cool". They could put it on sale for 90%-off and probably sell practically nothing, simply because it's not anywhere where anyone can see it.

Who knows if it was Ubisoft's fault or Nadeo's fault, but they basically killed their own game before it was even released.

Pretty much agree with all of this, and after 4 months they still haven't added the platform mode or puzzle afaik. Those should be simple to implement yet nothing.

And unless they have everybody working on ShootMania/Questmania(they don't), we should have received some word from Nadeo when the next environment will be available(which should be free btw)

At this point we have nothing to look forward to because Nadeo/Ubisoft isn't saying anything.

Helmholtz

This is so sad to hear. I haven't played in a few months, but I liked the game a lot, especially around launch when a lot of people were playing it. It's so silly that they never put it on Steam or other services. At this point I'd rather they just made it F2P. This game is nothing without a community supporting it.

I like the game, but I got bored of the current environment.

Also, what was there reasoning for not putting it up on Steam? Was it because Nadeo wanted the keys to be able to activate through Steam?

I like the game, but I got bored of the current environment.

Also, what was there reasoning for not putting it up on Steam? Was it because Nadeo wanted the keys to be able to activate through Steam?

Said it wouldn't work with their ultimate plans for mediaplanet.

If they don't retool it there might not be a mediaplanet.

dLMN8R

They're too small and/or incompetent to launch an entirely new online platform meant to host multiple games that communicate with each other.

I mean, what the hell is ManiaPlanet anyway? Custom tracks aren't hosted on there at all, just leaderboards. You can't download the "maniaplanet" service or use it to buy the game, you have to go to a separate storefront.

The entire thing is just stupid and completely ill-conceived.

Cipherr

Feels like they are doing to much for their size. My hype sort of flatlined for this, and Im now just playing Nations instead of TM2. They need all their staff working on one game. Dead the other shooter/rpg mania stuff and get Track up and off to a good start.

Seriously, no word on a new environment by now is sort of sad.

This game has completely fallen of the radar for me since it´s not on Steam.

Not that I must have exactly every game there, but I got annoyed at yet another publisher thinking that own online platform with a separat community is a good idea, so I dropped the thought of purchase for the moment and haven´t picked it up yet.

Helmholtz

Just bought this game.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

It's still a fun game, it's just that the community isn't what it should be. Maybe try checking out the Giantbomb server, I think it still has people in it fairly often.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ironically enough, Giant Bomb's sever is the one that still has the most activity online. There are about 30 players in there right now! Crazy.

1-D_FTW

I thought they recently released some more info on the new environment. I didn't really pay any attention to it since I was like "Yeah, right. Not after Canyon."

Whoever mentioned it needs to be a free upgrade is correct. Canyon sold pretty terribly and after most people's experience, I doubt they'll have a strong retention rate from that group.

If they have any sense at all, they do a relaunch. Pack the two together and launch it on Steam. I realize they'll have to give 30 percent to Valve, but 70 percent of something is a whole lot more than 100 percent of nothing.

gillty

Banned
well god damnit. i'm really hungry for a multiplayer racing game. any good candidates?

The game itself is still excellent, I still play it regularly, I greatly prefer the TM2 handling model.

Everything outside of the game is frankly terrible just as it was with the past games, the Interface is bizzare, the planet and internal webpage/content share system is INSANE.

Helmholtz

I bought the game, but since it's not in my Steam library, I simply keep forgetting that I could play it...
Add maniaplanet as a non-steam game, right click and rename to Trackmania 2, problem solved :)

Edit: I just played a few rounds after having not played for over a month. There are definitely still a decent amount of active servers. The Giant Bomb server had 10+ people on it, which is pretty good for this time of day. The game is still super fun.
I'll probably get back into it a lot when a new map is announced, Canyon is getting a bit stale.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
there is a new tool that allows you to create custom blocks for the game. pretty excited.

squid

I'm looking to get back into Trackmania after playing and loving TM Nations a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure what to go for...

TM2 is newer, looks pretty, and will probably have more support in the future, but United seems to be packed full of content/features. TM2 is $25 from their website and United is $30 on steam, and I'm unsure of which one to go for... Which game has the better community? As in, if I want to have a multiplayer game (I live in Australia, so different timezone to most), which will have more people playing?

Or should I just wait for a while and see what Nadeo comes up with in the near future and how they support TM2?

Everdred

What a tragedy that this game isn't more popular. Logged in for the first time in a few months and they overhauled the main menu. It looks nice, mostly just fits Shootmania and other upcoming releases into a single system. Game is still a blast just wish the community wasn't dead. Giant Bomb server is still kickin' though!

Yeah... I logged in not too long ago to play a few races. Was bummed to see not many people on the servers.

They really need to put TM2 on Steam or make a F2P portion of the game (perhaps with a new environment?). The game is fun, they just need to do something to draw in people.

But, with ShootMania around the corner and QuestMania in the works, I doubt anything will come any time soon :(

[insert negative comment about Ubisoft here, too]

isamu

But, with ShootMania around the corner and QuestMania in the works, I doubt anything will come any time soon :(]

Both of those games are going to bomb hard. They will then realize they fumbled the ball and focus on making TM2 better and will hopefully place the game on Steam.

gillty

Banned
The September 18th, has added the ability to import 3d objects, no idea what this means for the future of maps, but should be awesome?

I've probably played this game more than any other cumulative over the past year, so sad that NA prime-time is all but dead, 7PM to 11PM Pacific is the deadzone.

Hackbert

heh... free platform mode is kinda nice. let´s try and error that thing ^^ i just now recognize, it is out since july. wow i did not touch the game a few months.. poor Nadeo. And yeah, the server population is a sad joke

Robin64

Oh man. I played Trackmania a long time ago and thought it was really cool, so when I saw there was a TM2 OT, I got pretty excited.

After reading the front page: Will definitely purchase tonight and join this awesome community!
After reading the last page: ...oh. Oh well. I'll replay FFX instead.

A shame..

Top Bottom