• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

-SD- said:
Compared to previous TrackMania releases the singleplayer campaign tracks are not that good, yes, but I wouldn't say that TM2's SP is horrendous. It's just challenging, which is a good thing in my books.

Actually, I was referring more to the fact that official times are literally impossible to get without a lot of frustration.

The tracks themselves are fine. But the whole idea for me with the single player maps is the be at the top of the Neogaf board, and it's not worth the trouble.

Dizzy-4U

I'm kinda bored at work so I'm posting a basic tutorial on how to skin your car with custom textures (Photoshop). It's really easy once you set the DDS plug-in. (Sorry for my bad english in advanced).

1) Download the DDS plug-in for Photoshop. Download here

(I have Photoshop CS in spanish so some options may be named a little different)
Install it, open photoshop and go to edit > preferences > plugins. In there click on "additional plug-ins folder" and add the location of the plug-in you just installed. It will be something like "C:\program files\adobe\photoshop\Plug-Ins" or "C:\program files\adobe\photoshop\Plug-Ins\File Formats"

Click "OK" and you're set. Now you can save image files in DDS format.

2) Download the skin template of the Canyon Car. Download Here

Open it in Photoshop and you'll see something like this:

LUyiK.png

Hide the Wireframe layer and you're ready to go. Throw in there all the stuff you want.

3) When you finish, go to "save as..", select the DDS format and name your file SkinDiffuse.dds. Click "Save".

5nHfz.png

The plug-in menu will pop up and it will look like this:

7f4rb.png

All you need to do here is to set it to DXT5. Click save.

4) (Optional) Now that the car is done, you need the icon that you see when you pick the car. It's optional but you'll get a white square if you don't do it.

It's basically a 128x128 image so grab any image you want and resize it. When you're done save the image with the name Icon.dds (same plugin settings as the car).

5) Those two DDS files need to be compressed together in ZIP format (try to use maximum compression) and name your zip file whatever you want. So you have a zip file with the two DDS files in it.

Place the zip file in ...\ManiaPlanet\personal\Skins\Vehicles\CanyonCar\

6) Done!

0eVXG.png

Salsa

Got this, yes! just started

i have an issue though: any reason why my game doesnt look nothing like the gameplay videos ive seen? I have every graphic setting on high and the game just doesnt look as good. It looks jaggy and it doesnt have that motion blur feel to it. Im also seeing some severe pop-in and draw distance issues in some tracks.

.nimrod

^ you can also control the glossiness via the alpha channel, white is shiny, black is matte

SalsaShark said:
Got this, yes! just started

i have an issue though: any reason why my game doesnt look nothing like the gameplay videos ive seen? I have every graphic setting on high and the game just doesnt look as good. It looks jaggy and it doesnt have that motion blur feel to it.

If you set your shaders to fast, you can use real AA but lose motion blur. If you have set your shaders to "nice" you can increase the amount of motion blur in the ingame menu (gear symbol in the top right corner of the screen).

But it won't look as good as the trailers since they are rendered in the replay mode which have a ton of added features, like raytraced reflections, etc

.nimrod

loblaw said:
Is there a database for custom car skins? Do they show in multiplayer?

You can get some skins here: http://www.maniapark.com/

It takes a while until others see your skin since you have to upload it to the other players.
If you have some webspace, you can use a location file. It's a simple textfile with the file ending .loc instead of .txt that includes the url to your skin.

"Is there a way to turn music off? I just want to play my own.. some of the music on servers annoys me."

Hover your mouse at the top of the screen, there's a drop down menu where you can turn down game and music volume.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Best place to find custom cars? And do they show up in game for others? I swore TM1 made it so they would since they were on that store.

Emitan

Atomski said:
Really wish they would hire someone to make a better UI for this game.. Menus just seem bad.
They really need to. I think they're actually worse than the menus from the first game if that's even possible.

Gav47

I can't get loc files to work, can someone point out where I might be going wrong.

1. DL the gbx file from Maniapark and put it in my public dropbox folder (does the gbx file have to be zipped?)
2. Create a new txt file in the CanyonCar folder and paste the public link into it.
3. Save the file as Rockstar.loc and change the drop down from .txt files to all Documents.

Salsa

I am loving this game so, so much. Its just a shame that i cant mantain 60fps for some reason even though i should with my rig. I hear a patch might be coming to fix some performance issues, so fingers crossed

gillty

Banned
Gav47 said:
I can't get loc files to work, can someone point out where I might be going wrong.

1. DL the gbx file from Maniapark and put it in my public dropbox folder (does the gbx file have to be zipped?)
2. Create a new txt file in the CanyonCar folder and paste the public link into it.
3. Save the file as Rockstar.loc and change the drop down from .txt files to all Documents.
filename.extension.loc

Is there any way to change the default view and make it stick? My times are consistently better with bumper cam.

Also, I'd love for them to add support for the dpad on the 360 controller. Stupid oversight.

OneLetter

I'm still working on my custom Saints Row car, should be done by tonight. :D

I'll have to join the gaf group as well when I get home. I'm "OneLetter" if anyone wants to play.

Mafro

Anyone else get this error every time they try to connect?

8B1F282694C6A2C4185BFDC2FD0AF0BE2618060A

Just bought it today and haven't been able to connect to any servers at all for multiplayer. Really starting to piss me off now.

Salsa

Smokey said:
Wait this is out? WTF? It was a very quiet release. Is the game plagued by issues or something?

nope

it was a quiet release because the beta updated into the full game, so the thread was already done

Lead Based Paint said:
So anyone else racing a lot in multiplayer? I wanna know some LP totals round neogaf.

Right now i'm starting a session at 13.8k.

15,576 atm. I have found that listening to Amon Tobin or Justice makes me a god at this game.

Arucardo

Playing on the Jeff's Giantbomb server was fun last night, a really laid back server. I won about 5 tracks in a row before a challenger arrived :p .

EDIT: Also, we need one of the GAF art gods (like Jube3 or m0dus) to design a NeoGAF skin :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so what can you do.with the neogaf group?

can you play multiplayer and automatically look for servers withbother gaf group members on? or is it just a leaderboard for singleplayer?

Dina

I've made a custom skin, but my friend doesn't see it. All he sees is a white car, even though we both have enabled that custom skins be downloaded. I see a lot of white cars as well, which are (I assume) also custom skins, but they don't show up.

edit: Oh and if anyone has an in-depth tutorial about the advanced mode of track creation, I'd be eternally grateful.

Mafro

Is there any way of toggling player names above the cars on and off? It's impossible to see anything when you're on a full server and there's about ten cars in front of you.

Lemonte

I'm 68 rank atm and my thumbs hurt so much. My xbox 360 pad couldn't handle my 10 hour driving session and left analog sticks rubber part broke off. Had to replace it with the right one.

I tried track editor but it's kinda clunky so I gave up.

Is it just me or do groups really do nothing at the moment? I see it scroll by with my leader board stuff but the NeoGAF group always says 0 out of 0.

-SD-

Banned
Quote said:
Is it just me or do groups really do nothing at the moment? I see it scroll by with my leader board stuff but the NeoGAF group always says 0 out of 0.
Do you mean Individual Play? Works fine for me.

Well after each track (multiplayer), I get stats where I am with the Florida players, US players and World players. NeoGAF scrolls by also, but it just says "0."

Top Bottom