• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania 2: Canyon |OT| Driving you loopy (Retail update now live for Beta!)

Quote said:
Well after each track (multiplayer), I get stats where I am with the Florida players, US players and World players. NeoGAF scrolls by also, but it just says "0."

I get that as well. I guess groups don't track multiplayer ranks? :\

-SD-

Banned
Update released: http://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=293&t=6547

Nadeo said:
An optional update has been released. To get it, you must go to the player page (http://player.maniaplanet.com/), in the brand new "Updates" section. After activating the option, restart Maniaplanet, and the update process should start (~17MiB).

Changes :
* Performance increase concerning sounds
* Performance increase concerning car reflects
* Now tries to recover after graphic card driver crash
* Compatibility with non-SSE2 computers
* Added support for scalable suspensions in car models (more details here : viewtopic.php?t=4372)

* Fixed Maniacodes offering scripts or painters textures (brushes, stickers)
* Fixed online sharing of 3d car models
* Fixed rare crashes during script compilation & runtime

* Launcher : remove unsupported low-quality modes from the list
* Launcher : now starts on foreground after an update

R1CHO said:
How is that gonna work? Are they going to sell it? Or just patch it for the Trackmania^2 users?
Sell it.

-SD-

Banned
Note to self: Don't join a server if you're feeling drowsy as heck.

I was driving like a grandpa in a countryside on a mellow Sunday afternoon :)

TylerD

I had always heard good things about Trackmania but hadn't really looked into it until I watched the Giantbomb quicklook of TM2: Canyon. Once I get my new PC up and running in a couple of days I am definitely going to be picking this up. It looks like an absolute blast.

InertiaXr

Does anybody else get a black screen sans UI every 45 seconds - 1 minute, sometimes quicker? I have gotten it since I bought this, and of course nobody in any servers is of any help and no patches have fixed it so far. I can 'fix' it by going back and forth between full screen and windowed and back again, but it's still annoying when nearly every run you attempt is ruined because you can't see anything. I have a 460 for reference, and updated my video drivers specifically because of this issue a few days ago, but no help.

I have that problem, but totally not that frequent. Since the beta, I've only had it happen maybe 4 or 5 times. Radeon HD 5850 here.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
InertiaXr said:
Does anybody else get a black screen sans UI

Happened to me once in a total play time of around 10 hours. I have a HD 5770.

Sadly i have no clue how to fix your problem...a "blackout" every minute really must ruin the game for you...

InertiaXr

The_Super_Inframan said:
Happened to me once in a total play time of around 10 hours. I have a HD 5770.

Sadly i have no clue how to fix your problem...a "blackout" every minute really must ruin the game for you...

Yeah it's bizarre, especially since going to window mode fixes it immediately. I still have control and can hear all the sounds but just no video intermittently. It usually gets progressively worse over time, won't happen for the first 30 minutes after I start up the game but after an hour or so I am unable to finish nearly any runs in the full 6 minutes...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo! Just treated myself to This! Gonna play on the GB server later, I think. Is anyone here running a server for GAF folk?

InertiaXr

Jtwo said:
Woohoo! Just treated myself to This! Gonna play on the GB server later, I think. Is anyone here running a server for GAF folk?

I mostly just play on the Giantbomb server, it seems to be the only one in the U.S. that is constantly full. I have played at 2-4am central time before and it is still 40-45 of 50 total slots filled up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
InertiaXr said:
I mostly just play on the Giantbomb server, it seems to be the only one in the U.S. that is constantly full. I have played at 2-4am central time before and it is still 40-45 of 50 total slots filled up.
Cool! Well maybe I'll see you there! My maniaplanet ID is Jtwo. So yeah, thats me. I Just played for about a half hour. I'm not very good.

Dakota47

I finally went ahead and bought this. I have hundreds of hours clocked on TMN and I never paid Nadeo a dime so it is only fair. The download seems pretty quick so I should be playing this in a couple of minutes.

EDIT That was fun. It is basically the same game in a newer engine. I knew I was playing Trackmania when I went vertical.

fuRui.jpg

Two questions though:
No more 'steering' in the air?
Drifting is a good thing now?

-SD-

Banned
Dakota47 said:
No more 'steering' in the air?
Drifting is a good thing now?
No steering but you can control how much air time you'll get.

Yeah, I call Canyon DriftMania :D It's so satisfying.

-SD-

Banned
Is there a way to disable the obtrusive server interface stuff on GiantBomb? F7 does not seem to work anymore :(

It's stupid and ridiculous. It's limiting my ability to see properly to the sides. I'm using a 4:3 monitor at 1600x1200.

I can of course press * to disable the interface altogether but that's not fun since I want to see the vital info.

1-D_FTW

Are there any magic directions for upgrading from the beta?

I've done a clean re-install of Windows 7 and pulled the installer from my backup drive. I load it up, but when it goes to update, it quickly flashes something I can't read, gives me a 404 error, and then just loads the beta state (with no single-player available).

Ranger X

How is this compared to United? (besides graphics obviously)

Is there as many cars? As many challenges? As many themes/environements?
I fear them trying to sell me a full game in parts...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've been playing just about every day since I bought it. Can only handled about 20 minutes at a time, but oooooo boy is it a special 20 minutes.

Ranger X

Ok just wikied the game. It will take a while to get another game like United.
I hope that at some point they will do another project like United though. Like Canyon + valley + whatever titles that will be in second series. Right now I really don't feel like buying into "episodic Trackmania 2" ... :(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You're not thinking big enough Ranger! Shootmania! Questmania! Planets! Its all going to conjoin in a singularity known only as Maniaplanet. The next chapter of mankind is upon us! Embrace the mania!

Everdred

I absolutely love this game when I force myself to play it but I always have a hard time initially launching it. I don't know why.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How many of you are still playing this? The amount of people on the servers seems to have dwindled a bit.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:
How many of you are still playing this? The amount of people on the servers seems to have dwindled a bit.

Nope. All I've got for my money is one big, juicy, digital paperweight and a reminder of why I should never purchase any PC game that isn't available on Steam.

Ever since I re-installed Windows 7, it's worthless shit clogging my computer. Even uninstalled Trackmania (installed from the download file I previously saved) and used the download manager to update it. But all I get is the fucking beta version that 404's when it goes to update to the retail version. Needless to say, it's worthless in its current form.

Googling the POS, I'm sent to UBI's store. And of course I denied buying UBI's extortion "download insurance" when buying the game, so I don't even know if there's a more "Up-to-date" download manager. It'd be nice to know for sure (can't imagine you could have an outdated download manager), but that's UBI. Fucking bandits.

EDIT: Figured I'd google around a bit. Only 404 errors I'm seeing are pirates who are trying to circumvent things. I can log in fine (since I purchased the game), it's just unwilling to update to the retail version. Gotta love DRM bullshit if that's what this is about.

Went to their forums, but since the game is a ghost town, most threads are like 2 replies long. Ah, that's lovely.

EDIT: Seems like they buried the "solution" in the beta forums. If you log into your player page on the internet, you can get the updated .exe by paying 100 mania planets. The file is 1.2GB, so here's hoping that solves things.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1-D_FTW said:
Nope. All I've got for my money is one big, juicy, digital paperweight and a reminder of why I should never purchase any PC game that isn't available on Steam.

Ever since I re-installed Windows 7, it's worthless shit clogging my computer. Even uninstalled Trackmania (installed from the download file I previously saved) and used the download manager to update it. But all I get is the fucking beta version that 404's when it goes to update to the retail version. Needless to say, it's worthless in its current form.

Googling the POS, I'm sent to UBI's store. And of course I denied buying UBI's extortion "download insurance" when buying the game, so I don't even know if there's a more "Up-to-date" download manager. It'd be nice to know for sure (can't imagine you could have an outdated download manager), but that's UBI. Fucking bandits.

EDIT: Figured I'd google around a bit. Only 404 errors I'm seeing are pirates who are trying to circumvent things. I can log in fine (since I purchased the game), it's just unwilling to update to the retail version. Gotta love DRM bullshit if that's what this is about.

Went to their forums, but since the game is a ghost town, most threads are like 2 replies long. Ah, that's lovely.

Sorry to hear about your problems man. I agree Nadeo/UBI could have handled things better. I personally haven't touched the game in over 2 weeks, but for different reasons. The controls are just horrible. Nadeo really missed the mark here. There is no good way to justify designing a car that powerslides all over the place, and coupling it with track blocks that would work much better with a car with tighter handling. The Island or Stadium car would have been a perfect fit for this Canyon environment but not this tail happy Mustang.

Not to mention I really don't like playing racing games with a gamepad/joystick/keyboard...but due to the horrendous steering wheel support I'm pretty much forced to. So when I fire up TM2 now it's usually just to spectate.

Hopefully Valley will be much improved in the controller support and handling department.

epmode

Re: Isamu

I think I have to agree here. I LOVE the Canyon car. Love it. But those ridiculously thin strips of road that infect the more difficult tracks have been annoying the hell out of me.

The car is designed to drift on a dime so why not design the tracks around drifting? Keep the wide roads, just make it so the best times require you to cut deep into 90 degree turns, just barely missing the inner wall.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:
Sorry to hear about your problems man. I agree Nadeo/UBI could have handled things better. I personally haven't touched the game in over 2 weeks, but for different reasons. The controls are just horrible. Nadeo really missed the mark here. There is no good way to justify designing a car that powerslides all over the place, and coupling it with track blocks that would work much better with a car with tighter handling. The Island or Stadium car would have been a perfect fit for this Canyon environment but not this tail happy Mustang.

Not to mention I really don't like playing racing games with a gamepad/joystick/keyboard...but due to the horrendous steering wheel support I'm pretty much forced to. So when I fire up TM2 now it's usually just to spectate.

Hopefully Valley will be much improved in the controller support and handling department.

I agree with everything you said and stopped playing before I nuked my Windows 7 install. Although I also agree with epmode regarding handing. It hands great (if we're accepting they're not going to update the control method to something modern and grading on the Trackmania grading curve). It's just a terrible choice for the environment.

EDIT: Seems like they buried the "solution" in the beta forums (so many sub-forums). If you log into your player page though a web browser, you can get the updated .exe by paying 100 mania planets. The file is 1.2GB, so here's hoping that solves things for me.

2ND: EDIT: After a couple more hiccups that I won't bore people with, finally works.

epmode

This wouldn't be a problem if Nadeo/Ubisoft stopped being insane and just released the stupid thing on Steam. Of course. And I can only imagine that they're leaving a lot of sales on the table by not doing so.

I know, I know, MANIAPLANET. It's just that right now I'm not seeing any reason for the special treatment. Why couldn't Canyon just have been considered a new environment, like Stadium? Even the UI is identical.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1-D_FTW unfortunately affirming my thoughts on waiting for a BS-less Steam version. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles man.

Carm

1-D_FTW said:
I agree with everything you said and stopped playing before I nuked my Windows 7 install. Although I also agree with epmode regarding handing. It hands great (if we're accepting they're not going to update the control method to something modern and grading on the Trackmania grading curve). It's just a terrible choice for the environment.

EDIT: Seems like they buried the "solution" in the beta forums (so many sub-forums). If you log into your player page though a web browser, you can get the updated .exe by paying 100 mania planets. The file is 1.2GB, so here's hoping that solves things for me.

2ND: EDIT: After a couple more hiccups that I won't bore people with, finally works.

Where did you purchase the game? If you went through Metaboli, instead of Ubisoft, the email they sent you should have the link to download the game. It was updated to the retail build when beta ended, not sure if it has since been updated with the patch.

I wanted a retail build but refused to pay some silly in game currency for a product I already paid for, with actual money. Found out after awhile the Metaboli version at least, was updated to the first retail build.

mxgt

Banned
isamu said:

Stopped for a while cause I was playing so much Battlefield but now I play for a bit most days.

1-D_FTW

Carm said:
Where did you purchase the game? If you went through Metaboli, instead of Ubisoft, the email they sent you should have the link to download the game. It was updated to the retail build when beta ended, not sure if it has since been updated with the patch.

I wanted a retail build but refused to pay some silly in game currency for a product I already paid for, with actual money. Found out after awhile the Metaboli version at least, was updated to the first retail build.

No. Went through the Ubi store. They were the only ones who wouldn't deny my credit card.

They really should sticky the solution in the main forum, though. When a game has been retail for months, that type of info shouldn't be in the beta section.

At least Mania Planets are worthless. Throwing 100 away isn't a big deal when there's nothing to really spend them on anyways.

2Crisis

1-D_FTW said:

I finally got some free time so I figured I'd try and get the retail version since the beta will NOT update. I gets the same 404 error you were running into 1-D.

After hours of searching I ended up at the same place you did, having to download the game client from the player page by paying planets, what the shit is that about?!

guess what,
the client download is a 1.2GB file that gets served up at a whopping 32Kb/s. The furthest I've gotten is about 37 megs in before the download just completely stops.

I was a die-hard trackmania fan, but this whole experience has been the worst thing ever. At this point it looks like I'm going to have to resort to shady means to get the client for the game I paid for. About to just write this off as a $25 loss

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I went from playing about a half hour a day to just a few tracks every now and then. Had it for about a month now. Great game, but sadly it's hard to be married to.

1-D_FTW

2Crisis said:
I finally got some free time so I figured I'd try and get the retail version since the beta will NOT update. I gets the same 404 error you were running into 1-D.

After hours of searching I ended up at the same place you did, having to download the game client from the player page by paying planets, what the shit is that about?!

guess what,
the client download is a 1.2GB file that gets served up at a whopping 32Kb/s. The furthest I've gotten is about 37 megs in before the download just completely stops.

I was a die-hard trackmania fan, but this whole experience has been the worst thing ever. At this point it looks like I'm going to have to resort to shady means to get the client for the game I paid for. About to just write this off as a $25 loss

Are you using a download client like DownThemAll in Firefox? Was able to get around my max of 1.5MB/sec. But the first time I finished the download, it immediately reset to 360MB and had to redownload the rest of the 1.2GB file again (I've never had something like that happen before). It worked once it hit 1.2GB the second time.

CoolS

How the HELL do I redownload this on my new PC? I looked it up in the UbiSoft Store, but it told me I can only download the downloader for 30 days?? What the fuck UbiSoft?

Top Bottom