• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR_rambo

Banned
What does that even mean? Cloverfield is a movie about a bunch of kids surviving a giant monster attack which is never really ever explained or fleshed out, in an American city similar to NYC. That's basically all there is to it. If this is a mysterious scifi movie about a bunch of people who get involved with something really unusual in an American city similar to NYC, and doesn't reference any of the events from Cloverfield, could it be set in the same universe? Why not? Cloverfield could just be a stand-in name for a location in America where bad shit just goes down.
Similar to NYC? It was NYC.

Thing is, this argument over whether or not it's a sequel is likely exactly what they were angling for with this ambiguous trailer. That's marketing, baby. I don't think it's ridiculous to consider the option that "Cloverfield" could end up being the Bad Robot equivalent of "The Twilight Zone" or something of that ilk. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it has to follow up with the exact same characters, or even the same setting.

Thing is, they don't want us to know. They'll probably drip-feed a few bits and pieces of other media that also don't make it clear whether the Clover monster is involved and we won't know until we've seen the movie.

What the fuck, out of fucking nowhere. How.

I cannot wait for this - I absolutely love Cloverfield and am so interested to see what this film is about.

Thing is, this argument over whether or not it's a sequel is likely exactly what they were angling for with this ambiguous trailer. That's marketing, baby. I don't think it's ridiculous to consider the option that "Cloverfield" could end up being the Bad Robot equivalent of "The Twilight Zone" or something of that ilk. Just because it's a sequel doesn't mean it has to follow up with the exact same characters, or even the same setting.

Thing is, they don't want us to know. They'll probably drip-feed a few bits and pieces of other media that also don't make it clear whether the Clover monster is involved and we won't know until we've seen the movie.

Oh wow, I really want another giant monster movie, but that sounds pretty sweet too.

Just a bunch of sci-fi thrillers with Cloverfield worked into the title.

Alfredo

I have a feeling that, just like with Cloverfield, people are gonna be disappointed at not seeing (enough of) a monster.

I'm excited to see what this movie turns out to be. I have no expectations about it being related to the original Cloverfield. The only thing that will disappoint me is if it isn't CRAZY AND WEIRD.

Mistle

Wow, awesome. Initially disappointed that it wasn't found footage, but the trailer looks good, doubt it'll matter. Shame JJ couldn't direct but it meaning he did Star Wars then you can't complain.

edit: wow, after all this time i'm only now realising JJ didn't direct the original, haha. i didn't pay much attention to that sort of thing at the time, and only in more recent years did I somehow come to think he directed

I enjoyed cloverfield, particularly the treatment of the monster and the transformation of NYC.

What was this trailer? Some people stuck in an apartment with some weird shit going on...didn't really feel any connection to Cloverfield in there other than the title...

Koojay

I enjoyed cloverfield, particularly the treatment of the monster and the transformation of NYC.

What was this trailer? Some people stuck in an apartment with some weird shit going on...didn't really feel any connection to Cloverfield in there other than the title...

Something's coming

PR_rambo

Banned
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. This could very well be an anthology series.

The first movie was obviously going to feature a giant monster, we always knew that.

I think with the small budget, it points to the majority of the film taking place in the bunker. That's what we've been shown. With the first film's teasers, we saw lady liberty's head fly into the streets of NYC, glimpsed the monster moving between skyscrapers etc.

This time, we see these individuals occupying this fallout shelter, passing the time, and we see MEW getting cabin fever, and attempting to escape. John Goodman is hell bent on staying put. That's the conflict at present.

The only connection it may have with it predecessor the vagueness of the situation at hand. We will only witness this group alone, and never cut away to some other folks in a different location. And we probably won't get much of the how or why. Just another mystery sci fi.

Or I'm over analyzing and it's totally set within the same universe and there absolutely is a monster outside, whether it's a sequel or taking place simultaneously as the first one.

Happy camper either way.

FUCK. YES. Not seen the original in quite a few years so I'm going to watch it on Netflix tonight. But very, very excited!

Bring back Lizzy Caplan please

and Hud the camera man

Considering how they killed off Caplan in the first film in the most gruesome of ways... NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

ARG in Portal 2 > Super 8 >JJ Abrhams > Cloverfield > Cloverfield 2 > director of Portal short film. Boom I figured it out guys.

Half-Life 3 confirmed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I ADORED Cloverfield back when I watched at the cinema. Probably one of my best experiences at the movies.

Alas, not so long ago I watched the Blu-ray with my girlfriend and the film has aged surprisingly poorly. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable, and not just because I already knew the "twists" and surprises.

Still, I'm hyped for this.

Busty

Banned
I'm a couple of hours late to this but has everyone now realised that this is just Paramount taking a film called 'Valencia' that sat on their schedule for months and months and renaming it in a hollow effort to generate attention?

They have?

Kewl.

The original spec script was about--
..., if I remember correctly (it was titled Valencia) was about a young woman who wakes up in a bunker having been saved by a stranger who says that there has been a huge disaster and they are only safe with him. It's a contained thriller with the whole question throughout the script being did this man really save this young woman or did he just say that in order to kidnap her and imprison her?

Symphonia

Banned
Didn't Cloverfield end with it being revealed that the monster is still alive? This could work as a sequel and as a standalone film set within the same universe.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Didn't Cloverfield end with it being revealed that the monster is still alive? This could work as a sequel and as a standalone film set within the same universe.

Nope. NYC was bombed to shit and that was all we know. At the end of the film there were some other (older) shots from before the incident happened, when a satellite crashed into the sea and awakened the monster.

I'm actually re-watching Cloverfield and it kind of hints the name itself stems from the government giving all incidents related to the creature the code name "Cloverfield".

In the beginning it straight up says Designate: Cloverfield

I don't think the code name applies to any sort of anomaly but that it applies specifically to the sea creatures of the first film.

Nope. NYC was bombed to shit and that was all we know. At the end of the film there were some other (older) shots from before the incident happened, when a satellite crashed into the sea and awakened the monster.

I think he's talking about the backwards voice in the credits.

DanSaxon

Someone's had a good time with the Wikipedia page:

Producer: John Goodman
Writer: John Freeman, John Goodman
Budget: Good Johnman

Weasley

Where is that from? He's not on the IMDB credits. Uncredited?
It says so in the trailer itself.

chazelle.png

Symphonia

Banned
I know NYC was bombed, but I swear I remember the monster still being alive. The very last pre-credit shot, IIRC, was the camera picking up the monsters foot after Matt(?) dropped dead and dropped the camera. I may need to go re-watch it.

One thing that might not be related or important at all, but that last font that they use is very uh.... water-y for lack of a better expression.

Considering the original monster came from the sea, maybe there is a connection there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom