• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
First one was okay. I'm not gonna pretend this doesn't get me excited though. Any mainstream monster movie getting attention is good. Here's hoping it's actually...good.

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned already, but the fist half of that trailer reminded me of the Desmond episode of LOST when he's in the hatch going through his daily routine while music is playing in the background.

Looks really interesting though! I don't know if this is a sequel, but if it is i'm glad they ditched the found footage format.

duckroll

So are Cloverfield fans going to be disappointed when they find out this isn't a monster movie and is a Cloverfield "style" film instead? ie: Lots of secrecy, low budget first hand account of an "event", vague scifi weirdness, etc.

So are Cloverfield fans going to be disappointed when they find out this isn't a monster movie and is a Cloverfield "style" film instead? ie: Lots of secrecy, low budget first hand account of an "event", vague scifi weirdness, etc.
I don't think I will. I would have been interested to see this any way, but putting the Cloverfield name on it adds different aspects to my excitement.

Dr Prob

Banned
Looks like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt The Movie.

Nooooooooooo don't run it, I HATED that show

IMKgtpq.gif

Protome

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned already, but the fist half of that trailer reminded me of the Desmond episode of LOST when he's in the hatch going through his daily routine while music is playing in the background.

Looks really interesting though! I don't know if this is a sequel, but if it is i'm glad they ditched the found footage format.

I wasn't a big fan of the first movie but like you said this trailer makes it look like "the Lost hatch movie" which I could totally be into, still my favourite part of that show.

WinFonda

I don't care if it has monsters or is a direct sequel, that trailer looks dope, and it looks like a way more interesting movie. John Goodman as an antagonist is gonna be way scarier than some CGI monster.

Chiggs

Gold Member

The backlash should be pretty bad. People want more of that monster. If somehow this is related to the 1st (and I'm doubtful), perhaps Abrams was able to keep this a secret by shooting two different movies separately that are somehow related, then making it work in post-production.

Anyway, remember all the hype about the 1st Cloverfield really being a Cthulhu movie? None of that shit panned out. I think some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment with this one too.

That said, I'd love to be wrong.

adj_noun

Do people still remember that Ethan Haas website?

YES.

That was the apocalyptic ARG that got tangled with the Cloverfield ARG!

And then the people doing it had to figure out how to let us know while still in character.

edit: though now that I look it up, it may not be so much of a coincidence that they got associated with Cloverfield, hrm

Anyway, remember all the hype about the 1st Cloverfield really being a Cthulhu movie?

Yeah.

I remember when this was being passed around as the monster:

NE7T7ba8AdEHa8_1_1.jpg

The backlash should be pretty bad. People want more of that monster. If somehow this is related to the 1st (and I'm doubtful), perhaps Abrams was able to keep this a secret by shooting two different movies separately that are somehow related, then making it work in post-production.

Anyway, remember all the hype about the 1st Cloverfield really being a Cthulhu movie? None of that shit panned out. I think some folks are setting themselves up for disappointment with this one too.

That said, I'd love to be wrong.
Come on, the clues are all there. The loud rumbling, the IMAX release, Cloverfield in the title, the bait-and-switch reveal.

Why even keep it secret and reveal it like this, if it's just a regular sci-fi movie?

Werd

I have checked for news on any of Dan Trachtenberg's potential directing projects now and then for years after the Totally Rad Show ended, had just done so a week or two ago when he was mentioned on the /FIlm podcast.

Not a Cloverfield fan but rooting for Dan here. Trailer looked interesting enough, though nothing shockingly fresh.

duckroll

Come on, the clues are all there. The loud rumbling, the IMAX release, Cloverfield in the title, the bait-and-switch reveal.

Why even keep it secret and reveal it like this, if it's just a regular sci-fi movie?

Hype and speculation helps to sell low key experimental products, and the best brand Abrams has for selling something like this, is Cloverfield.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Hype and speculation helps to sell low key experimental products, and the best brand Abrams has for selling something like this, is Cloverfield.
Even if it's a great movie, this would ruin Abram's mystery box hype forever more.
The backlash would be unbelievable.

A low key experimental movie without giant monsters doesn't really warrant an IMAX release. IMAX implies large-scale spectacle. And having Cloverfield in the title and then not having monsters would just be cruel

duckroll

A low key experimental movie without giant monsters doesn't really warrant an IMAX release. And having Cloverfield in the title and then not having monsters would just be cruel

Yeah because the only thing IMAX is good for is giant monsters. Right. I think Abrams is trying something interesting with the marketing here, I'm just wondering if it'll land with fans if expectations and reality are substantially disconnected.

Yeah because the only thing IMAX is good for is giant monsters. Right. I think Abrams is trying something interesting with the marketing here, I'm just wondering if it'll land with fans if expectations and reality are substantially disconnected.
No, but it's good for spectacle. A movie about a few people trapped in a bunker isn't actually a premise with a lot of space for the large-scale spectacle that makes a movie worth seeing on IMAX, i.e. sweeping space vistas or bombastic action.

But a movie with giant monsters?

Can we really say something like "Cloverfield is the brand JJ uses to make these kinds of things" when there is exactly one movie with the Cloverfeild name to it, and it's a giant monster movie?

duckroll

No, but it's good for spectacle. A movie about a few people trapped in a bunker isn't actually a premise with a lot of space for large-scale spectacle that makes a movie worth seeing on IMAX. But a movie with giant monsters?

Yeah, I guess the only two types of films which exist in the world are those about a few people trapped in a bunker or those with giant monsters. Right. Damn you got me there.

Can we really say something like "Cloverfield is the brand JJ uses to make these kinds of things" when there is exactly one movie with the Cloverfeild name to it, and it's a giant monster movie?

Well, we can say that after March. If the brand still has any value. :)

Jarmel

Banned
I feel like I've seen this premise in a similar movie where someone was in this sort of 'world outside unknown' scenario but I can't remember the name.

and pls no fallout jokes

Hype and speculation is a different thing from this. 99% of people who see this trailer will think it's either Cloverfield 2 or heavily Cloverfield related. And the only people who would care about the Cloverfield branding are those that loved the first, aka the people that would be really pissed if it wasn't. It'd be colossally stupid to do what you're suggesting. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about that.

Yeah, I guess the only two types of films which exist in the world are those about a few people trapped in a bunker or those with giant monsters. Right. Damn you got me there.
I'm pretty sure his argument is that a movie about people trapped in a bunker would be an odd choice for an IMAX release. A movie about a few people trapped in a bunker that has a giant monster third act though? ACES FOR IMAX

duckroll

Why the hell would the first fade in be "Cloverfield" singularly if it was bait and switch.

Because it's not a bait and switch. It's a Cloverfield movie to the people making it. I feel the question is, do you think the people making it have the same definition of Cloverfield as the majority of fans anticipating this now?

adj_noun

I was so into the background and mythos in the ARG, I was utterly deflated when bugger all of that was in the movie.

Drew Goddard said he had nothing to do with the viral stuff.

... the viral marketing was created without his input, and possibly without the guidance of the director or J.J. Abrams. In his words, "everything that is important to the movie is on-screen," and everything not explained or shown within the film is not as important as the viewer's interpretation. Therefore, there are no official explanations about what company Rob is going to work for, where the monster came from, or what fell from the sky.

With that said, he does note that the satellite theory doesn't seem to make sense, but then claims that his opinion on it doesn't make it untrue.

I've always found the last paragraph interesting, as that's what the ARG pointed towards. I always kinda felt like the movie taken on its own didn't really lead in the ARG's direction.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hype and speculation is a different thing from this. 99% of people who see this trailer will think it's either Cloverfield 2 or heavily Cloverfield related. And the only people who would care about the Cloverfield branding are those that loved the first, aka the people that would be really pissed if it wasn't. It'd be colossally stupid to do what you're suggesting. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong about that.

Well, we know the script to The Cellar, which was what the movie Valencia was based on, got heavily rewritten, so maybe that's Abram's angle here?

Still think it's going in a different direction, though.

That's not what I'm saying

The Revenant
Civil War
BvS
Interstellar
Gravity
Godzilla
Pacific Rim
Warcraft
Prometheus
Cloud Atlas
Life of Pi
and so on

All those movies are cinema spectacles. Big action, or sweeping vistas and landscapes, or amazing vibrant effects

Those are the kinds of movies that appear on IMAX. The fact that this seemingly unassuming movie about people in a bunker is getting an IMAX release implies that it's more than just that, simply because it would have scenes and scale that would look good on IMAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom