• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah I'm pretty sure the last shot was of the monster still alive?
Hopefully in the sequel people are living underground in bunkers and the monsters roam around on the surface.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Cloverfield is the best kaiju movie in a long time. Cloverfield >>>>> Godzilla 2014 any freaking day! This is such an awesome surprise!

Flynn77

Hopefully in the sequel people are living underground in bunkers and the monsters roam around on the surface.

At the end of the credits, a voice says something like "It's still alive". There's no footage.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cloverfield is the best kaiju movie in a long time. Cloverfield >>>>> Godzilla 2014 any freaking day! This is such an awesome surprise!

But what about Pacific Rim?

I hate yet to watch Pacific Rim.

At the end of the credits, a voice says something like "It's still alive". There's no footage.

Ok, I'd be pissed off if that happened. It's already hard to believe that an organic creature can take a barrage of artillery like no thang, but a nuclear bomb?

Busty

Banned

Knowing Paramount this is almost certainly going to be the case. This is the same studio that released 'The Devil Inside', a found footage film that didn't even have a fucking ending!

I've never seen Paramount's balls but given some of the shit they've pulled over the years I bet they are fucking huge.

But it's not about the monster. I want to know more about that...

I hope it's more than just someone being kept in a basement if it has Cloverfield in the title, needs to have monster

I mean, it must have the monsters in it, right? It shows her escaping the bunker, so presumably it's going to show the outside world decimated by the Kaiju and parasites. It can't be a cock-tease because I'm more interested in seeing the monsters again than I am in seeing the human drama which surrounds that.

Not so unexplored. You should watch Monsters. Great film

poster.jpg

It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I liked that film. Also interesting that the director got the Godzilla gig off of the back of it.

What the fuck, how they gonna secretly make a damn Cloverfield sequel with John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead and no one knows about it.

This is terrific. I wish films and in particular games did this more - we get a new trailer for a Platinum game at E3 and then a release date for September flashes up on the screen. That would beat the sort of CGI reveal trailer and drawn out 2+ years of hype bullshit we get nowadays.

I know NYC was bombed, but I swear I remember the monster still being alive. The very last pre-credit shot, IIRC, was the camera picking up the monsters foot after Matt(?) dropped dead and dropped the camera. I may need to go re-watch it.

The very last pre-credit shot was a scene where Beth and Rob are at Coney Island.

Also it wasn't the entirety of NYC that was bombed but just Manhattan Island.

I think that Cloverfield isn't an 'X-File' but anything related to these creatures from the sea and specifically deals with it's mythos.

PR_rambo

Banned
I'm actually re-watching Cloverfield and it kind of hints the name itself stems from the government giving all incidents related to the creature the code name "Cloverfield".

In the beginning it straight up says Designate: Cloverfield

I don't think the code name applies to any sort of anomaly but that it applies specifically to the sea creatures of the first film.

The event of the monster making landfall and everything that happened was labeled Case Designate: Cloverfield. The monster is referred to as the LSA or Large Scale Aggressor

I know NYC was bombed, but I swear I remember the monster still being alive. The very last pre-credit shot, IIRC, was the camera picking up the monsters foot after Matt(?) dropped dead and dropped the camera. I may need to go re-watch it.

The last shot was footage of Rob and Beth a month earlier. They were on a date at coney island and as they look into the camera and state that they had a good day, a satellite drops into the distant ocean.

Flynn77

But what about Pacific Rim?

I hate yet to watch Pacific Rim.

Ok, I'd be pissed off if that happened. It's already hard to believe that an organic creature can take a barrage of artillery like no thang, but a nuclear bomb?

It's been a while, but I don't think they nuke it. I think they drop some kind of massive air bomb on it. That's why the characters think they can survive by sheltering under the bridge. But it's been a while since I have seen it. Must watch again!

Busty

Banned
I mean, it must have the monsters in it, right? It shows her escaping the bunker, so presumably it's going to show the outside world decimated by the Kaiju and parasites. It can't be a cock-tease because I'm more interested in seeing the monsters again than I am in seeing the human drama which surrounds that.

The shooting budget for Valencia aka 10 Cloverfield Lane was $5 million or less. It's entirely possible that they added some monster action but the original spec script is
99% set inside the bunker

This film is a
contained,
psychological thriller. At this point I'm convinced that Paramount's marketing is, again, pulling a fast one.

Interesting, I haven't seen the movie after watching it in cinema all those years ago now, but I recall the younger version of myself enjoying it, might have to give it a re-watch.

The final shot of footage is Beth and Rob on a Big Wheel at a Carnival, and as the camera looks out of the side before focusing on Beth, in the far distance very tiny we see something dropping from the sky. Some people think it's a satellite which disturbed the creature under our ocean; I think it is the creature itself falling from outer space. It's really tiny and easy to miss. You probably can't see it on YouTube footage as I don't think the quality would be good enough.

Yes, there is as I recall a bit of radio static and a broadcast whisper saying "It's still alive". That voiceover was the director, Matt Reeves.

The Hammer Down Protocol wasn't a nuclear bomb. Presumably that would have been the next, final attack if that had failed. As for surviving this sort of attack, if it's a huge alien beast with unknown physiology who knows if something like bombs would hurt it? Maybe it has instant regenerative abilities? Maybe its skin is as thick as titanium and two feet thick? Maybe it absorbs strength from heat, making explosions pointless against it? It appears to get hurt by the bombs which hit it while Hud & others are flying away in the helicopter (seconds before it knocks the helicopter out of the air), so who's to say it didn't survive the attack but swim back into the ocean while it healed?!

Flynn77

The shooting budget for Valencia aka 10 Cloverfield Lane was $5 million or less. It's entirely possible that they added some monster action but the original spec script is
99% set inside the bunker

This film is a
contained,
psychological thriller. At this point I'm convinced that Paramount's marketing is, again, pulling a fast one.

It would be a masterstroke if they've got away with hiding a bigger movie. But then, at the time, was there a lot of knowledge about the scope and scale of the original?

As for the $5 mil budget, could they just be lying about that to put it under the radar?

Dominator

I'm pretty sure the voice at the end was inaudible until it was reversed. Then you could hear the "It's still alive" bit. Might be wrong though.

Either way, whatever's happening here whether this is directly related to the original film, or it's becoming an anthology set of films with the Cloverfield moniker, I'm sold.

If it has nothing to do with monsters or the original, the movie itself looks awesome based of the trailer so I'll be happy either way.

But please be related lol

Sadist

Holy shit out of nowhere.

Cloverfield was a fantastic cinema experience; movie was tense, mysterious and afterwards me and my buddy feverishly started looking for more clues and info on the creature. DEEP SEA GIGANTISM On the small screen Cloverfield is less impressive, but I still like the mystery.

Trailer looked great btw. And it has John Goodman. Can't hate.

I'm pretty sure the voice at the end was inaudible until it was reversed. Then you could hear the "It's still alive" bit. Might be wrong though.

Actually, you might be right. I'll have a check on IMDb. Really loved little details like this seeded into the first game film though. The thing falling into orbit was my favourite though.

Also, I love Roar so much. One of my favourite Giacchino songs.

It would be a masterstroke if they've got away with hiding a bigger movie. But then, at the time, was there a lot of knowledge about the scope and scale of the original?

Sure they were running around NY and LA with military vehicles and shit, but the fact they released the teaser before they shot the main film meant the shoot got plenty of attention. The trailers beyond the teaser showed most of the film.
You should temper expectations if you think the film leaves the bunker after the first act, doesn't look like that to me.

Busty

Banned

People forget that Cloverfield wasn't actually a large production in and of itself. Being found footage it came in at $30 million (thereabouts IIRC) so it's scope could be hidden somewhat.

As for the $5 mil budget, could they just be lying about that to put it under the radar?

No. This is not the case, the trades would not have gone along with such a lie or even allowed themselves to be duped for the sake of showmanship.

It's possible that they filmed this and then went back to 'add in some monsters' but then that changes what they originally set out to make.

This isn't a case of them being in the bunker for the first ten minutes and then running about a monster ravaged world. This was a spec script for a contained thriller called Valencia.

You should temper expectations if you think the film leaves the bunker after the first act, doesn't look like that to me.

This.

Flynn77

Sure they were running around NY and LA with military vehicles and shit, but the fact they released the teaser before they shot the main film meant the shoot got plenty of attention. The trailers beyond the teaser showed most of the film.

God dam you are right. I remember now. The teaser was actually used to sell/finance the film. The rest being made after. I think there was an interview on Jeff Goldsmiths Q&A about it.

Film looks cool anyway, I'm definitely in line.

Flynn77

No. This is not the case, the trades would not have gone along with such a lie or even allowed themselves to be duped for the sake of showmanship.

It's possible that they filmed this and then went back to 'add in some monsters' but then that changes what they originally set out to make.

I see, budget does seem very very low though.

maybe outside the bunker is another identical bunker. Repeat ten times till the end :)

I'm a bit late but holy shit. Can't believe they pulled this off. I really like Cloverfield and have been wanting a sequel for the longest time. Trailer looked super interesting.

The plot sounds a bit like that part of 24 S2 when that guy from Entourage in a bunker tries to convince Kim Bauer that a nuclear war has happened and she should stay with him.

yFmdboh.jpg
good film.

I agree that Cloverfield is a better film than Godzilla 2014. Both films are full of forgettable, pointless human characters, but I prefer the chaos and danger of Cloverfield to the globe-trotting pursuit of Godzilla.

That trailer for Godzilla was amazing, but the film IMO was only slightly above average.

SpaceWolf

Banned
First of al, I just want to say I LOVE the fact that the moment this trailer released, everyone just seems to have dived right back into some good old fashioned Cloverfield theorizing. It's like a day hasn't passed since the first film came out. Reminds me of the good old days before the original film came out, where me and my friends would be looking at that damn Slusho website, desperate to unearth some tiny slither of information about the monster. Man, that film was perfectly marketed and it seems they haven't lost their touch marketing this one either.

As a massive fan of the first film, I'm delighted with how this looks (not to mention that this even exists!). Plus, the premise sounds REALLY interesting too. Like a sort of bottle episode where the tension slowly ratchet's up whilst you get the increasing feeling the world is going to hell outside. Really loving the cast as well, especially John Goodman. You can never have enough John Goodman.

I agree that Cloverfield is a better film than Godzilla 2014.

Meet The Fockers is a better film that Godzilla 2014.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's been a while, but I don't think they nuke it. I think they drop some kind of massive air bomb on it. That's why the characters think they can survive by sheltering under the bridge. But it's been a while since I have seen it. Must watch again!
I was under the impression that the military was to lay waste to a *large* part of the city, which wouldn't be quite possible with a thermobaric bomb. It would make more sense than nuking a major city, but still.

The Hammer Down Protocol wasn't a nuclear bomb. Presumably that would have been the next, final attack if that had failed. As for surviving this sort of attack, if it's a huge alien beast with unknown physiology who knows if something like bombs would hurt it? Maybe it has instant regenerative abilities? Maybe its skin is as thick as titanium and two feet thick? Maybe it absorbs strength from heat, making explosions pointless against it? It appears to get hurt by the bombs which hit it while Hud & others are flying away in the helicopter (seconds before it knocks the helicopter out of the air), so who's to say it didn't survive the attack but swim back into the ocean while it healed?!
Yeah. But an animal surviving hundreds of tank rounds, rockets and missiles thrown from land based vehicles and aerial ones is already a hard pill to swallow for me. I know it's a kanji movie, but suspension of disbelief is still a thing. If a proper Cloverfield 2 is ever made I'd love to have a semiplausible explanation such as its abyssal nature allowing it to absorb massive amounts of energy.

satellitecrash1.gif

Definitely a satellite from the original, not the monster.

First movie was amazing in the cinema, hopefully this one is just as good.

First of al, I just want to say I LOVE the fact that the moment this trailer released, everyone just seems to have dived right back into some good old fashioned Cloverfield theorizing. It's like a day hasn't passed since the first film came out. Reminds me of the good old days before the original film came out, where me and my friends would be looking at that damn Slusho website, desperate to unearth some tiny slither of information about the monster. Man, that film was perfectly marketed and it seems they haven't lost their touch marketing this one either.

As a massive fan of the first film, I'm delighted with how this looks (not to mention that this even exists!). Plus, the premise sounds REALLY interesting too. Like a sort of bottle episode where the tension slowly ratchet's up whilst you get the increasing feeling the world is going to hell outside. Really loving the cast as well, especially John Goodman. You can never have enough John Goodman.

Not quite sure why some people are debating whether or not this film will be set in the Cloverfield universe considering the fact that JJ has already confirmed it features some kind of relative of "Clovie". Maybe one of the original monster's parasites evolved? I don't know. Looking forward to finding out though! :)

I think he was saying that the film should be considered a cousin of Cloverfield, rather than there being a creature within which was a cousin.

Yeah. But an animal surviving hundreds of tank rounds, rockets and missiles thrown from land based vehicles and aerial ones is already a hard pill to swallow for me. I know it's a kanji movie, but suspension of disbelief is still a thing. If a proper Cloverfield 2 is ever made I'd love to have a semiplausible explanation such as its abyssal nature allowing it to absorb massive amounts of energy.

I mean, at the end of the day it's a monster movie about an indestructible creature smashing up New York. Do you ask the same questions about Godzilla or Pacific Rim?

satellitecrash1.gif

Definitely a satellite from the original, not the monster.

First movie was amazing in the cinema, hopefully this one is just as good.

What about this gif is supposed to indicate that it's definitely a satellite? What if it was the kaiju in an egg or cocoon? Besides, from a quick look on Google it seems that satellites burn up and disintegrate when they fall from orbit and re-enter the atmosphere.

AHA-Lambda

Was thinking really recently actually why did Cloverfield never get a sequel, well there ye go :p

Admittedly the very quick turn around on this (3 months until release?) is the sort of thing that makes me a little skeptical

Fliesen

Regardless of how good / bad people think Cloverfield is, regardless of how good / bad this movie's gonna be, this is already a genius move.

How were they able to keep this under wraps?
They didn't let any of the actors / crew out of that bunker! :O

Busty

Banned
Ready interviews with Winstead about this movie like a year ago makes you wonder why no one picked up on it earlier.

Because until it had Cloverfield in the title (and was previously known as Valencia) no one cared.

Score one for Paramount's marketing team evidently.

Symphonic

Was thinking really recently actually why did Cloverfield never get a sequel, well there ye go :p

Admittedly the very quick turn around on this (3 months until release?) is the sort of thing that makes me a little skeptical

They finished filming in December 2014. This thing has been under wraps under two different names for about 3 years now.

duckroll

Ready interviews with Winstead about this movie like a year ago makes you wonder why no one picked up on it earlier.

Picked up on what? It's not like no one knew this movie was being made. It's a low budget Bad Robot production about a woman trapped in a bunker with some dude who claims the world outside has ended. It was called Valencia. Everyone reported on it, she's been interviewed about it. At some point the project "evolved" into 10 Cloverfield Lane. A movie which JJ Abrams now claims is a "blood relative" to Cloverfield. The only "secret" here is that it's now a Cloverfield movie. *cough*

eXistor

I hated Cloverfield, I thought it was the dumbest, most annoying movie ever, but goddamn they seem to have a real clever twist for this one. The trailer tells us nothing about the whole movie of course, but the idea of an entirely different story being told while shit goes down in the real world is very interesting.

I might be misinterpreting the trailer, but it seems to me paranoia-psycho-dad John Goodman has his kids locked up in a fallout shelter for "their own good" against their will and they want out, meanwhile against their own knowledge, a giant monster is outside rampaging, but I don't think they now this, I think John Goodman's character just thinks the apocalypse happened like he "knew" it would.

I'd love it if they only found out the truth at the end of the movie, if at all, but we as an audience do get that knowledge at some point (well it is a Cloverfield film after all, so we already kinda know).

I had no hopes after Cloverfield, but color me interested a least, so this teaser did its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom