• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
I wonder if John Goodman's growing insanity is linked to some sort of Cthulu-related influence, rather than just being confined in that bunker for so long.

That would be a neat "twist"

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I liked Cloverfield, and the connection here makes me a bit more excited for 10 Cloverfield Lane. However, even if that was removed from the trailer I would still be hyped. Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman are great, and the concept of a doomsday prepper kidnapping people is enough to pique my interest.

GavinUK86

I hope people aren't expecting any big CGI monsters or explosions, it's a low budget sequel hence why it only stars 3 people in a tiny bunker. We probably won't even see the outside world until 15 minutes from the end. Looks cool though and it's always nice to be surprised by movies nowadays where everything is usually spoiled beforehand.

iMax

Slusho was a codename for Cloverfield. The connections between Slusho and Cloverfield are actually a lot deeper, and Cloverfield was always the intended vision. Whereas this project started off as a film called Valencia and developed into 'blood relative' sequel in other words a spiritual sequel with the title Cloverfield in it. That's what's being indicated right now, I guess we'll find out more when someone gives us a detailed interview.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Valencia was likely a codename too.

Jb

First one wasn't especially memorable for me, so I'm glad they're doing something different with this one.

I hope people aren't expecting any big CGI monsters or explosions, it's a low budget sequel hence why it only stars 3 people in a tiny bunker. We probably won't even see the outside world until 15 minutes from the end. Looks cool though and it's always a nice to be surprised by movies nowadays where everything is usually spoiled beforehand.

i mean, do they make it a habit to show low-budget, effects lite, small scope movies on IMAX screens?

I could see this being a few people surviving in a post-apocalyptic world where the Cloverfield monster has basically forced humanity into hiding. We'll learn about what happened between Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Ln through stories from John Goodman/old newspapers/etc. Eventually, the characters will go to the outside world for a small portion of the film (<half of the film) and either A) see the world is still in ruins/worse than expected or B) see the world has started to recover and these survivors that were underground did so for many years without any need to do so.

Alternatively, maybe the bunker people went into hiding years BEFORE the plot of Cloverfield because they were paranoid and had reason to believe the Cloverfield monster would appear. Then, they go out to the world only to find humanity is a-okay. A few days/weeks pass, they're enjoying living in modern human society, and boom, Cloverfield (the first movie) begins. End.

-griffy-

Banned
Full poster:

12471315_1105779749455295_8499621094939079025_o.jpg

Same green sky as the first movie's poster.
"Monsters"
Both the monster and John Goodman's character?
That grass/sky combo makes it obvious the thing outside is the Bad Robot mascot:

giphy.gif

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Somehow I seriously doubt they're going to disappoint everybody with a sequel to a giant monster disaster movie that takes place entirely within a bunker. It was just a teaser trailer, who knows what will happen.

GavinUK86

i mean, do they make it a habit to show low-budget, effects lite, small scope movies on IMAX screens?

I have no idea but anything with JJ Abrams' name spoken in the same breath is going to get a lot of coverage regardless of how big the actual film is.

Being entirely set in the bunker until the end is just what I think it's going to be like. Personally, I don't think it's going to be much more than that. Maybe in a similar vein to the original Monsters where you barely glimpsed the creature because of the low budget but there was always the sense of dread around the corner.

gamz

I could see this being a few people surviving in a post-apocalyptic world where the Cloverfield monster has basically forced humanity into hiding. We'll learn about what happened between Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Ln through stories from John Goodman/old newspapers/etc. Eventually, the characters will go to the outside world for a small portion of the film (<half of the film) and either A) see the world is still in ruins/worse than expected or B) see the world has started to recover and these survivors that were underground did so for many years without any need to do so.

Alternatively, maybe the bunker people went into hiding years BEFORE the plot of Cloverfield because they were paranoid and had reason to believe the Cloverfield monster would appear. Then, they go out to the world only to find humanity is a-okay. A few days/weeks pass, they're enjoying living in modern human society, and boom, Cloverfield (the first movie) begins. End.

It has to be before or the same time frame of Cloverfield. Nothing else would make sense.

Mdk7

Despite the trailer that has a whole different vibe, that "monsters" reference is really making me hope it's a sequel of some sort... who knows.

Alpende

Really cool that they kept the Cloverfield angle under wraps for such a long time and it's already coming out in March.

Trailer looked good.

Symphonic

I will now be disappointed if that second plot doesn't happen.

Dany

Banned
Wow.

So are they using the 'cloverfield' name to invoke 'monster movie' yet perhaps they're not related?

y2dvd

Man I immensely enjoyed the first movie. No lie, it was probably the best movie going experience I ever had. Not best movie, best movie going experience. No one knew wtf to expect, so everyone was just in the edge of the seat.

Sometimes I hate today's Internet-age because information is always so readily available. It's nice to have genuine surprises like this. I mean, it's just 2 months away and we just got this trailer. Awesome!

Lucifon

Somehow I seriously doubt they're going to disappoint everybody with a sequel to a giant monster disaster movie that takes place entirely within a bunker. It was just a teaser trailer, who knows what will happen.

If it was a bigger budget movie with alot of outside shots it would have leaked already if the release date is March.

I'd be surprised if it didn't largely focus on the bunker.

Woman gets convinced it's not safe to leave bunker, finally starts to realise people keeping her there are dodgy, attempts to escape.

Jerm411

Really thought this was some kind of troll...can't believe it's real. My God, what a time to be alive.

Looks awesome too...really like what I think the premise will be as well. Like the fact that Goodman's character appears unhinged and it's a lose/lose situation. Do you stay in the bunker with him or take your chances outside with God knows what...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That trailer was amazing. Season 2 opening of Lost meets Cloverfield, holy hell.

If this leads to a rerelease of Cloverfield in theaters (double-showings in IMAX preferred) then it will be well worth the money, no matter the quality of the sequel. Cloverfield is hands down the greatest theater experience I ever had.

jmelons

I did a double take when I saw Dan Trachtenberg's name. The guy from GeekDrome and TRS? Jesus. Blows my mind.

The trailer itself was done well. Got my hype.

I did a double take when I saw Dan Trachtenberg's name. The guy from GeekDrome and TRS? Jesus. Blows my mind.

The trailer itself was done well. Got my hype.

I swear he was talking on a podcast earlier this year about a secret project or something.

Crazy.

daveo42

Banned
Holy shit at that trailer. I liked the feel of the first film but always thought every character was about as smart as a box of rocks. This looks surprisingly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom