• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrChom

then again i'm one of those weirdos on this site that likes the human aspect of kaiju movies and doesn't need 2 hours of non stop monster to make a film good.

You need a good mix.
2 hours of Kaiju stomping and nothing is big or impressive...you need to see how small and powerless humanity is in the face of the behemoth. One of the biggest things that's been said is that Godzilla 2014 the humans did nothing but run around in terror OR make things worse; this is failing to get the point...that's precisely why it's so good. We can't bomb them, we can't shoot them, we can't fire at them until they go away....

In any other movie the romance would have been the focus and the soldier would have had a hero moment to save it all. Instead he nearly loses everything and narrowly avoids dying the whole movie.

xrnzaaas

Cloverfield 1 made 170 million worldwide so unless some people really want this to look a small project on purpose we'll get some outside of bunker action. :)

This feels like another movie where a group of people are in a bunker and shit happens causing one to go crazy and the others to try and escape.

Can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

As someone who has had no shame in being a very vocal Cloverfield lover around here, allow me to just say:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! IT'S HAPPENING!

Out of nowhere! Amazing!
I'm listening to ROAR now and I'm hyped for 3/11. Less than two months. So good!!!!!!

My prediction: The movie will lead us to think that John Goodman is crazy and keeping her in the shelter in some kind of deception and so we expect that twist when she looks outside the window...but the real double-twist will be that the world is in fact mostly destroyed by monsters.

Also this movie had nothing to do with Cloverfield until reshoots happened last year, which makes me believe my twist idea.

gamz

My prediction: The movie will lead us to think that John Goodman is crazy and keeping her in the shelter in some kind of deception and so we expect that twist when she looks outside the window...but the real double-twist will be that the world is in fact mostly destroyed by monsters.

Also this movie had nothing to do with Cloverfield until reshoots happened last year, which makes me believe my twist idea.

Yep. People are going to be disappointed thinking the Cloverfield monster is stumping around again.

Abrams is saying it became a Cloverfield movie at the beginning of production.

The idea that the "Valencia" script got overhauled to become a Cloverfield movie isn't very far-fetched at all. It's happened before. You've probably even liked one or two of the movies that's happened to.

People seem very protective of people's expectations without fully knowing what they are, it seems. It seems like a movie set post-Cloverfield. Most of why people liked Cloverfield wasn't necessarily due to the monster stomping around, but the sense of confusing, alienating dread that followed as these young dipshits tried to scramble around in its aftermath.

People might be expecting a scene or two of big-ass monsters. Let 'em. That's on the studio & the filmmakers, not on us. It's not like we're suddenly big fat dummies because we dared to think a movie with the word "Cloverfield" in the title could possibly have some sort of monster in it. Especially when the word "Monster" is also used on the poster for the film that has the word "Cloverfield" in the title.

Air

Banned
That bunker reminds me of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Anyway, looks good. I enjoyed the first one a lot, and want to see this.

kevin1025

Banned

There were reshoots, but I can't seem to find how substantial they were.

gamz

Abrams is saying it became a Cloverfield movie at the beginning of production.

The idea that the "Valencia" script got overhauled to become a Cloverfield movie isn't very far-fetched at all. It's happened before. You've probably even liked one or two of the movies that's happened to.

People seem very protective of people's expectations without fully knowing what they are, it seems. It seems like a movie set post-Cloverfield. Most of why people liked Cloverfield wasn't necessarily due to the monster stomping around, but the sense of confusing, alienating dread that followed as these young dipshits tried to scramble around in its aftermath.

People might be expecting a scene or two of big-ass monsters. Let 'em. That's on the filmmakers, not on us. It's not like we're suddenly big fat dummies because we dared to think a movie with the word "Cloverfield" in the title could possibly have some sort of monster in it. Especially when the word "Monster" is also used on the poster for the film that has the word "Cloverfield" in the title.

But a post Cloverfield wouldn't work. Why wouldn't she believe him?

-griffy-

Banned

If the synopsis floating around is accurate, then she was in a car accident and woke up in the bunker. It seems plausible that her car accident happened before the events of the first film, and she wakes up in the bunker after the events of the first film.

Why would she? She woke up and doesn't know what's going on at all, it seems.

These are the kinds of questions the movie itself would answer, and considering nobody really has any idea what's happened to the "Valencia" script, how it's been changed, or really anything outside a very basic plot synopsis OF the script (which may or may not still be valid, really), it's hard to discount, out-of-hand, things like the when & where of the setting based on questions that can't be answered until way more context about the film proper is revealed.

It has to be before or the same time frame of Cloverfield. Nothing else would make sense.

Why couldn't she have been a baby when the Cloverfield movie took place and John Goodman brought her and the other kid into the bunker for safety? It'd be post-Cloverfield, yet the kids (being babies) would never have memories of it and over time could become so stir-crazy inside that bunker that they begin to not trust John Goodman, eventually trusting him so little that they actually go outside.

Still, I'd probably enjoy this more if it ended up being a prequel with John Goodman's character being some how involved in whatever caused the Cloverfield monster to first appear/awaken, so he preemptively went into the bunker knowing (or highly suspecting) shit was gonna go down. This would allow us to learn more about the origins of the Cloverfield (based on John Goodman's character's knowledge/involvement).

Jerm411

I was one of the people overly obsessed with Cloverfield and I already see myself going down the same rabbit hole with this lol...

Probably watched the trailer 10 times already, trying to pick everything apart...can't shake the scene with that damn container which could possible be nuclear or something of that sort?

HUELEN10

I saw Cloverfield EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE STAR TREK XI TEASER. I enjoyed it enough, and might buy a ticket to see this trailer as well.

gamz

If the synopsis floating around is accurate, then she was in a car accident and woke up in the bunker. It seems plausible that her car accident happened before the events of the first film, and she wakes up in the bunker after the events of the first film.

Which still wouldn't make sense. If she didn't believe him he could just bring her to the window and let her look.

-griffy-

Banned
Which still wouldn't make sense. If she didn't believe him he could just bring her to the window and let her look.

The only thing that would make sense if it were happening in the same timeline of Cloverfield.

I can think of a bunch of reasons that a guy holding people in a bunker against their will might want to be dishonest with said people about the outside world.

Which still wouldn't make sense.

Again, you don't actually know enough about what the story of the film actually is to know whether or not a hypothesized setting does or doesn't make sense. You're dismissing possibilities out of hand based on an old synopsis for a rewritten script.

gamz

I can think of a bunch of reasons that a guy holding people in a bunker against their will might want to be dishonest with said people about the outside world.

Right. That would make sense that the outside world is fine and the monster is Goodman.

Toa TAK

Banned
As someone who has had no shame in being a very vocal Cloverfield lover around here, allow me to just say:

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT! IT'S HAPPENING!

Out of nowhere! Amazing!
I'm listening to ROAR now and I'm hyped for 3/11. Less than two months. So good!!!!!!
Haha, this was my introduction to Giacchino.

Still my favorite thing he's done.

I'm reading some rumors that this is a separate movie with the car/bunker storyline that they decided to edit the very end in order to to tie into Cloverfield and give it a wider audience at the last second. So I'm expecting we see some parasites running around at the end when she escapes, but otherwise, for it to feel nothing like Cloverfield and have very little to do with it.

I was a bigger fan of the idea where we saw the monster attack from another person's camera.

I'm excited, but this does seem very disconnected.

gamz

Again, you don't actually know enough about what the story of the film actually is to know whether or not a hypothesized setting does or doesn't make sense. You're dismissing possibilities out of hand based on an old synopsis for a rewritten script.

Oh, I know. I'm just throwing stuff out there and it's interesting conversation to see what they are doing with this.

gamz

I'm reading some rumors that this is a separate movie with the car/bunker storyline that they decided to edit the very end in order to to tie into Cloverfield and give it a wider audience at the last second. So I'm expecting we see some parasites running around at the end when she escapes, but otherwise, for it to feel nothing like Cloverfield and have very little to do with it.

I was a bigger fan of the idea where we saw the monster attack from another person's camera.

I'm excited, but this does seem very disconnected.

Links please.

mr.beers

Anyone punch 10 Cloverfield Lane into google maps? 10ish results pop-up. Most located in the southeast and Midwest of America and one location in New Zealand.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I feel like the only reason that the title for this film could have for not being terrible is that Cloverfield becomes a sort of codeword in an anthology series of films about weird sci-fi stuff. If it was a direct sequel then "10 Cloverfield Road" is a really weird title. But if it's a sort of "Here's another film about something weird that's thematically connected" then I think it works.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So it seems pretty obvious that the whole movie is gonna take place inside the bunker and it's gonna be a character driven horror type movie rather than anything like what cloverfield was.

Same universe different story?

It might open up with a news real type thing to give us some context or something.

gamz

I feel like the only reason that the title for this film could have for not being terrible is that Cloverfield becomes a sort of codeword in an anthology series of films about weird sci-fi stuff. If it was a direct sequel then "10 Cloverfield Road" is a really weird title. But if it's a sort of "Here's another film about something weird that's thematically connected" then I think it works.

And the budget is 5M, so you may be right. They might all be "blood relative" but I really think it's a stand alone.

Unless the poster tagline is a fake out they're basically telling you don't expect this to turn into a found footage movie with a bunch of monsters out of the blue. What you see is what you get. The monsters are background noise to John Goodman nutting up in a bunker with 2 (assumed) strangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom