• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, people who saw screenings and say it has nothing to do with Cloverfield could result in 3 things:

1) It actually doesn't except for small ties they didn't pick up on

2) They had to sign NDAs and are not allowed to even hint at it

3) They saw an unfinished cut of the movie and JJ et all added in the Cloverfield stuff later to keep it a secret.

I mean, forgetting the Cloverfield will it/won't it aspect for a moment, it's not exactly uncommon for a company to screen a movie, get crowd feedback, and then make changes before the actual release.

Even if they did see a movie that has nothing to do what so ever with Cloverfield there is no reason to believe that the movie released this March will be the same.

Ashhong

I have a better question:

These people that saw the screenings and are leaking info about it, is the movie good??? Nobody seems to be asking this lol

Gorillaz

I can see the misdirection this time being more of a "signal to noise" thing where they have put out false or incorrect synopsis of the movie or as some else said release the first tester to an audience without the cloverfield twist to it. Whatever the hell that is

She has a brand new iphone in the trailer. Presumably she just woke up from a car accident that happened recently. How would this be related to the events of Cloverfield that happened years ago.

After the events of the first movie you could write that the giant monster went back to sea and has been unseen since the incident in Manhattan. The smaller parasites are eventually exterminated. Manhattan was an isolated incident and the only spot where the creatures occurred.

Eight years later people start to forget and Goodman's character built the shelter in anticipation in case of another creature emerging. Maybe he lived in NYC eight years ago which explains his PTSD like symptoms in the trailer.

Arnie

Say what you want about the quality of his direction but JJ Abrams is peerless at building mystery and excitement around his work.

A Cloverfield sequel filmed under cloak and dagger with a false title, planted screenings and unveiled just over a month before release is so fucking refreshing.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I really want to know the true fate of Rob and Beth. Goddamn I loved Cloverfield.

I'm a little worried that everything happens in this bunker and we don't see much of Clovey.

Juicy Bob

Say what you want about the quality of his direction but JJ Abrams is peerless at building mystery and excitement around his work.

A Cloverfield sequel filmed under cloak and dagger with a false title, planted screenings and unveiled just over a month before release is so fucking refreshing.
He is the Hideo Kojima of movie making...

gamz

Yeah, but it's not really a sequel. I get what you are saying and this wasn't a secret by any means with screenings and articles. It's a low budget movie with ties to the Cloverfield world. It's not exactly hard to hide this type of movie.

Cptkrush

I don't know how up-to-date or factually this info is, but it says filming a movie for IMAX usually costs between $3 to $8 million
http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/imax3.htm

So this movie is getting an IMAX release, but only had a $5 million budget?

I think the 5 mil number isn't accurate in the slightest, unless the movie really only takes place in the shelter.

Thinking now, what if Goodman's character was in New York during the events of the first film, and he built the shelter and captured MEW's character and the other guy. But really, the monsters haven't been seen in years, and that's the twist. The monster never shows up because Goodman is just paranoid about it happening again. I'd be ok with it.

Probably at the end, it'll go full Cabin in the Woods.

Arnie

He is the Hideo Kojima of movie making...
Not quite. He's made a good film since 2004.
Yeah, but it's not really a sequel. I get what you are saying and this wasn't a secret by any means with screenings and articles. It's a low budget movie with ties to the Cloverfield world. It's not exactly hard to hide this type of movie.
Possibly. Or this trailer is Act 1 and as it alludes to the female protagonist escaping the bunker, it's what happens after this that really powers the film.

We'll find out soon.

Ticket surcharges. Same as any other movie. It's got fuck all to do with visuals since most movies aren't made with IMAX cameras to begin with.

+

Don't forget though, it will only have IMAX for one week. Batman v Superman comes out the week after. So it could be a "spectacle" for only a very small portion of the movie.

+

They may bust out a kick-ass ending, but it's a very low budget 5M dollar movie. Don't expect it be like Cloverfield.

+

Cinemark has put Ride Along and Ride Along 2 in their XD theater. It's purely just a way to charge more for the expected hottest movie of that week.

Sure, these are all valid points.

But ultimately, this is a JJ Abrams/Bad Robot film that is calling itself CLOVERFIELD. There's gonna be some spectacle.

Ashhong

Even if it was a true sequel it could have been hidden in the exact same way. The only difference is no screenings. There could still be articles (with false information to hide the movie).

At least we don't have to wait a year or whatever to find out. The fact that we only have to speculate and suffer for 2 months is amazing.

It's his ultimate accomplishment in cloak and dagger filmmaking. He has a movie that is simultaneously both a Cloverfield movie and not a Cloverfield movie. We won't know until we look inside his Mystery Box.

gamz

Not quite. He's made a good film since 2004.

Possibly. Or this trailer is Act 1 and as it alludes to the female protagonist escaping the bunker, it's what happens after this that really powers the film.

We'll find out soon.

Then it's a long as hell first act going by the people who already saw it.

nekkid

It's his ultimate accomplishment in cloak and dagger filmmaking. He has a movie that is simultaneously both a Cloverfield movie and not a Cloverfield movie. We won't know until we look inside his Mystery Box.

Mystery Box? Or Rabbit's Foot?

That damned Rabbit's Foot.

Symphonic

So, timeline:

May 2012 - Script "The Cellar" written and shopped around
April 2014 - Paramount's Insurge Green-Lights "Valencia" (renamed from "The Cellar" script) with Bad Robot to Produce and Director Dan Trachtenberg is Brought On to Direct
April 2014 - Director Posts Picture of Script on Instagram
July 2014 - John Goodman Rumored to Star
August 2014 - Mary Winstead Joins "The Cellar"/"Valencia" as Michelle
September 2014 - John Gallagher Jr. Joins "Valencia"
October 2014 - Filming for "Valencia" Begins "...has been going by the codename “Valencia” since Bad Robot became involved. No word on what the actual title of the movie will be."
October 2014/November 2014 - Director Posts Various Set Images on Instagram
December 2014 - Filming Wraps for "Valencia"
February 2015 - "The Cellar"/"Valencia" in Post-Production, Paramount Extends Contract with Bad Robot
March 2015 - Insurge (And Sole Project "The Cellar"/"Valencia") Absorbed Into Paramount
March 2015 - Mary Winstead: "It’s one of those Bad Robot, can’t say anything about the script type of projects... I was at Bad Robot the other day, and they showed me the trailer for it, which looks really cool. I’m excited."
July 2015 - Director Posts "Movie Magic" Shot on Twitter (Potentially Unrelated)
November 2015 - Test Screening for "Valencia"
January 2016 - First Trailer Revealed for the Newly Renamed "10 Cloverfield Lane"; Abrahms claims it as a "blood relative of Cloverfield"

Also, one other thing - a lot of people are citing the $5million budget, but ultimately it could easily be higher budget. It would fit nicely into the mystery surrounding the film, and the guise of lower budget could help hide exactly what it is.

adj_noun

Also, one other thing - a lot of people are citing the $5million budget, but ultimately it could easily be higher budget. It would fit nicely into the mystery surrounding the film, and the guise of lower budget could help hide exactly what it is.

My guess would be whatever Cloverfield connections it has are cheap enough to fit into the budget.

gamz

Or it's a film that is mostly filmed in a Cellar, and that's cheap to make. I think you'll are putting way too much into this mystery box and will be disappointed if you are expecting anything on the scale of the first.

Symphonic

I do think most or all will take place inside the bunker, but I also think having it in IMAX is a really odd choice. Are all Bad Robot movies released in IMAX in general?

I just don't buy that a film teasing something grim outside of a vault, and that ends like this doesn't have a little more to it:

vYe5ybo.gif

gamz

I do think most or all will take place inside the bunker, but I also think having it in IMAX is a really odd choice. Are all Bad Robot movies released in IMAX in general?

What else is out at the time? I mean IMAX has to make money, so why not throw it up there. It's a week or so before Supes v Bat, so I think it's just a money thing.

FUCKING FINALLY!!!!

I will fight anyone who talks shit about the original. Seeing that in a theater opening weekend was one of my favorite movie going experience, EVER.

gamz

Also notice at the beginning of the trailer he has a band-aid? Probably from the bottle she breaks over his head later on in the trailer.

nekkid

FUCKING FINALLY!!!!

I will fight anyone who talks shit about the original. Seeing that in a theater opening weekend was one of my favorite movie going experience, EVER.

But it's cool to hate Cloverfield, or so I've heard.

With you, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom