• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I texted him again-but I'm not clear. He just said he didn't know about it. For all I know it might be common for one hand to not know what the other hand is doing. He keeps pretty busy working on the TV stuff.

Or he's in on the joke and stringing you along.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Them legs though.

10-Cloverfield-Lane-888x456.jpg

This looks like a kinky selfie.

Ashhong

I texted him again-but I'm not clear. He just said he didn't know about it. For all I know it might be common for one hand to not know what the other hand is doing. He keeps pretty busy working on the TV stuff.

Well, if only a handful of people knew it was a Cloverfield movie, and they just kept calling it Valencia or whatever the name was, I can see why your friend wouldn't know. Honestly doesn't seem like a hard secret to keep really. An unknown director working on a movie with an "announced/fake" title doesn't really set off very many alarms.

gamz

Seeing people who saw the test screenings a few months ago and said it had nothing to do with Cloverfield when they saw it.

Dalek

Well, if only a handful of people knew it was a Cloverfield movie, and they just kept calling it Valencia or whatever the name was, I can see why your friend wouldn't know. Honestly doesn't seem like a hard secret to keep really. An unknown director working on a movie with an "announced/fake" title doesn't really set off very many alarms.

His response: "Actually - it's not that uncommon. I would have to actively ask."

BlazinAm

Cloverfield 1 spoilers:

It's pretty obvious that this bunker is right below the stone fort thingie the last two people in Cloverfield hide in. They get let into the bunker and live long happy lives as a family.

Wut. Greyshot Arch is in Central Park.

Erevador

Great to see Trachtenberg was FINALLY able to get a movie made, after being in development hell with Y for a long time.

Interested to see the progress of his career.

Ashhong

Seeing people who saw the test screenings a few months ago and said it had nothing to do with Cloverfield when they saw it.

I wonder what the movie could include in order to make them think differently. It's not like Cloverfield built a large world

Lets say the movie starts off in the bunker, then has the group leaving it to see a post apocalyptic world with monsters and trying to survive. It wouldn't really have anything to do with Cloverfield except for the name and the world, yet at the same time it could be a "blood relative" if we want to perceive it at way.

His response: "Actually - it's not that uncommon. I would have to actively ask."

I guess he would be too busy to worry about some random movie title. Makes sense

She has a brand new iphone in the trailer. Presumably she just woke up from a car accident that happened recently. How would this be related to the events of Cloverfield that happened years ago.

adj_noun

Hmm. I'm leaning more and more to #TeamTwilightZone.

From over on AICN:

10 Cloverfield Lane should ring some bells, but from what I understand you shouldn't get your hopes up for a big monster movie.

Exodust

Banned
While I liked Cloverfield I didn't think it was a great movie overall. I still loved a lot about it and I'm very interested to see this.

BlazinAm

ohhhh....
I hoping for a bait and switch with the trailer footage. That the trailer footage was more for the trailer or that most of it is at the start of the movie.

Ashhong

AH! Mystery solved. Bad Robot bought a low budget movie called Cellar from Paramount staring John Goodman. That flick is now Cloverfield.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/p...ts-the-cellar-moves-to-big-studio-1201458545/

That's not what the article says. It says Paramount absorbed the indie label who's only movie at the time was called The Cellar, and was already being made under Bad Robot/Insurge.

It's entirely possible the movie was already Cloverfield, and Cellar was yet another code name.

She has a brand new iphone in the trailer. Presumably she just woke up from a car accident that happened recently. How would this be related to the events of Cloverfield that happened years ago.

I can't tell but from the picture it looks like the logo is missing, which makes it not an iPhone in the movie. They could just have the phone be a phone and disregard the year. More likely is that this takes place a few years after, and deals with the fallout of the Cloverfield events, so still "blood related"

BlazinAm

That's not what the article says. It says Paramount absorbed the indie label who's only movie at the time was called The Cellar, and was already being made under Bad Robot/Insurge.

It's entirely possible the movie was already Cloverfield, and Cellar was yet another code name.

Yeah I think even it is has nothing to do with Cloverfield as all as it is good I'm fine with that.
But if it is then alright. Hope it's a great ride.

Ashhong

Yeah I think even it is has nothing to do with Cloverfield as all as it is good I'm fine with that.
But if it is then alright. Hope it's a great ride.

Same. I'm just expecting a solid movie that falls in the universe. It doesn't have to have big monster fights for me.

BrokenBox

AH! Mystery solved. Bad Robot bought a low budget movie called Cellar from Paramount staring John Goodman. That flick is now Cloverfield.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/p...ts-the-cellar-moves-to-big-studio-1201458545/

I don't think there's much mystery here. The movie's related to Cloverfield in some way based off the (currently bad, will grow people) name. It wouldn't have Cloverfied in the title if it didn't share some details.

My guess is it has the have Clovie in it. See: movie title.

hughesta

Banned
Doubt it'll be related in any obvious way. Looking forward to seeing how they tie it together though, and the trailer is very good.

bengraven

I can't tell but from the picture it looks like the logo is missing, which makes it not an iPhone in the movie. They could just have the phone be a phone and disregard the year. More likely is that this takes place a few years after, and deals with the fallout of the Cloverfield events, so still "blood related"

Yep, this.

It was already JJ's baby, just has different granddaddies now. "Cellar" was probably the codename of the film. Or he later decided to tie Cloverfield into it.

Considering how low key this whole thing was, I'm guessing the former.

Hex

Banned
The majority of the movie takes place in an underground cellar, and revolves around a young woman who wakes up in the cellar after a severe car accident and fears she has been abducted. Her captor, a doomsday prepper, tells her he saved her life and that there has been a terrible chemical attack that has left the outside uninhabitable. She does not know what to believe and as tensions rise, she decides she must escape, regardless of the terrors that await outside.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in negotiations to star in Paramount and Bad Robot’s “The Cellar.”

The pic also stars John Goodman. Dan Trachtenberg will direct, with J.J. Abrams producing for Bad Robot.

So it is a matter of how much if any tweaking has been done

Again, it has to have a reason for releasing in IMAX.

It may not be til the very end, but there's definitely something more than a psychological thriller happening.

Ashhong

I wouldn't be surprised, AT ALL, if the synopsis people keep posting is fake, just to confuse people even more. There might be similarities to the actual movie, but I would place my money on it being a red herring.

gamz

Hmm. I'm leaning more and more to #TeamTwilightZone.

From over on AICN:

Yeah been seeing the same on twitter.

I'm guessing Cloverfield is JJ's anthology movie series. Which makes sense because he's a huge TZ fan. Standalone movies that are tired into the Cloverfield world.

Which I LOVE being a huge TZ fan.

The Kree

Banned

It may not be til the very end, but there's definitely something more than a psychological thriller happening.

Ticket surcharges. Same as any other movie. It's got fuck all to do with visuals since most movies aren't made with IMAX cameras to begin with.

Ashhong

Don't forget though, it will only have IMAX for one week. Batman v Superman comes out the week after. So it could be a "spectacle" for only a very small portion of the movie.

Ticket surcharges. Same as any other movie. It's got fuck all to do with visuals since most movies aren't made with IMAX cameras to begin with.

It has everything to do with visuals. It's still on a much bigger screen, especially if you go to a real IMAX. IMAX won't want to show a movie that nobody will care about to see on the big screen. Why push out an action movie for a small movie taking place in a bunker?

That being said, I think only Deadpool is going to be in IMAX at this point, which comes out a full month before this.

gamz

They may bust out a kick-ass ending, but it's a very low budget 5M dollar movie. Don't expect it be like Cloverfield.

Cinemark has put Ride Along and Ride Along 2 in their XD theater. It's purely just a way to charge more for the expected hottest movie of that week.

Well, for starters, that's not a brand new iPhone because the movie was shot back in 2014. If I remember correctly earlier in the thread filming actually started in August, before the iPhone 6 was even announced and released. So she either has a 5 or a 5S in this movie if we take it at face value that her character had the most recent iPhone when this movie takes place, which presumably is 2014 although there's no reason to believe that right now other than the phone.

Ashhong

Cinemark has put Ride Along and Ride Along 2 in their XD theater. It's purely just a way to charge more for the expected hottest movie of that week.

A theater's own large screen is different from IMAX though. Don't movies have to strike a deal with the IMAX company to put their movie on there? A theater can't just switch around movies willy nilly. They also get advertised as an IMAX movie experience. When I see that on the screen it means something to me.

But to be honest, I don't care at all. I would watch this in IMAX even if it was just the bunker. I love IMAX.

Jerm411

I wouldn't be surprised, AT ALL, if the synopsis people keep posting is fake, just to confuse people even more. There might be similarities to the actual movie, but I would place my money on it being a red herring.

Good point...I tend to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom