• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Star Saber has me so excited i made a photoshop of him coloured:

cO60IgL.jpg

MP Ultra Magnus just looks like it needs a bit more detail via some creative paint applications. Such large blank spots kinda stand out an a larger figure.

Beth Cyra

MP Ultra Magnus just looks like it needs a bit more detail via some creative paint applications. Such large blank spots kinda stand out an a larger figure.

This would help a lot.

That said, I do think that some of the areas paint just won't be able to really fix. He has more then a few just large blank spots, and this sticks out pretty bad because of his size, like his shoulder stacks, those can't really be changed by color and need some etching or something. Also the seem line running right down the forearm is UGLY.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Also his legs are too short. They should lengthen his thighs so he doesn't look so stubby. In terms of body proportion he doesn't really cut it as a "heroic commander" type.

Beth Cyra

I think the most damning thing about Magnus is that he is so "toyish".

All of them are toys, but all of the Masterpiece figures gives off a very high quality vibe, something that belongs to a collector much more so then a simple toy owner.

Magnus is one of maybe three MPs who's quality just isn't up there when looking at him.

So far the only other MP I would say has felt this lacking was Hot Rod.

I will say, Ultra Magnus's Price is much cheaper then I thought he'd be, and sadly that seems to be coming through in the quality of the figure. Back when I thought he would be a MP 10 Combiner I was figuring 250-300$ Figure. So the drop all the way to 180-220 kinda makes the issues we are seeing something that should have likely been expected.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I agree, but I wonder how much of that is this particular figure and how much of it is that the simpler and cleaner lines of the movie characters just don't translate as well to a high end figure. Magnus and Rodimus look very much like their cartoon selves but are not nearly as impressive as the screen accurate Autobot cars or MP-10. The earlier show characters are feats of engineering, while the later show characters are much simplified and blockier traditional "sci-fi" robots. I think the constraints of turning into real vehicles and objects helps push the MP designs in more creative directions, as well.

Beth Cyra

You bring up a great point.

still I think there is more then that with Magnus. Like you mentioned the lower body just doesn't seem right.

also I think Rodimus and Springer can hide behind the fact they are Sci fi vehicles. Magnus the other hand is a car carrier so it sticks out much harsher on him.

I just decided to cancel Magnus for now. I'm going to grab Black Convoy instead.

Cheerilee

I don't think it's been posted yet, but the sequel to Transformers Prime has a name (Robots in Disguise) and a date now (spring 2015).

Polygon Pictures, the studio that animated TF Prime, is apparently involved in the animation of this new show.

Kurtzman and Orci would seem to be out of the picture.
“Robots in Disguise’s” creative team includes kids programming vets Jeff Kline (“Transformers Prime”) as executive producer; producer Adam Beechen (“The Adventures of Chuck and Friends”); and Steven Melching, a writer on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” who will serve as the show’s story editor.

Show takes place years after “Transformers Prime,” when Bumblebee is summoned to save Earth from a new faction of Decepticons and assembles a rogue team of young Autobots that includes a rebel bad boy bot, an elite guard cadet, a bombastic Dinobot and hyperactive Mini-Con to capture their new enemies.

Each new bot is a fully capable action hero but inexperienced in working together in a team, forcing Bumblebee to become both squad leader and coach, Hasbro said.

Mike M

Nick N
God damn that art is hideous.
Eh, it's alright (Well, maybe aside from that Go-Bot looking chump with the wheels on the right). It's just a hand drawn version of the style they went with in Prime, and it's at least more restrained than Animated (And that was my favorite series ever, despite the wacky art)
also I'm pissed they are reusing RiD, that already is a show subtitle damn it.
Now that is the true crime here.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Lots of crazy news out of BotCon's Hasbro panel today, including:

An actual Arcee figure after 28 years of waiting.
TLMYvde.jpg

Voyager Brainstorm who is an actual Headmaster.
8xJxXfD.jpg

2015 is the "year of the Combiners," teased with a silhouette of Generations Superion.
2k0ruvz.jpg

And Leader Generations Megatron is revealed at last.
Ad15UdD.png

He will also have an Armada Megatron redeco, and he can in fact [recent IDW spoilers]
switch his faction symbol from Decepticon to Autobot.

Faiz

That Arcee is like a dream come true. Obviously a shell former but looks like the best shell former ever IMO. Can not wait.

Dragoshi1

So, I haven't owned a Transformers figure since Beast Wars was a thing, so I recently have been buying some for old times sake.

I've got these so far;
(AoE) Scorn
(AoE) Slash
Target ver. Silver Knight Optimus and Grimlock
Construct Bots Grimlock, Strafe, Predaking

Gonna track down Voyager Grimlock this week, hopefully, and I'll grab Strafe and Slug. Waiting on Slog and Snarl to come out. Also for that Generations Shark Transformer; I had one just like it a decade ago.

So, I haven't owned a Transformers figure since Beast Wars was a thing, so I recently have been buying some for old times sake.

I've got these so far;
(AoE) Scorn
(AoE) Slash
Target ver. Silver Knight Optimus and Grimlock
Construct Bots Grimlock, Strafe, Predaking

Gonna track down Voyager Grimlock this week, hopefully, and I'll grab Strafe and Slug. Waiting on Slog and Snarl to come out. Also for that Generations Shark Transformer; I had one just like it a decade ago.

Eh, there's tons of better figures you can get for your money than the AoE abominations. Look for the Generations figures, or if you want some really nice ones, Masterpieces. Sure, they cost more but they also have the benefit of not looking like ass. If you liked Beast Wars, there are current figures of Rat Trap and Rhinox that are pretty much show perfect.

I saw the regular "deluxe" Strafe in the store today and could only shake my head.

Dragoshi1

I've seen Rhinox, I wish I could track down T-Rex Megatron and Dinobot.

And the AoE ones are kind of meh, but they're the most easy to acquire at the moment.

The Grimlock I have is the FoC version with a recolor that came bundled with AoE Silver Knight Optimus. If I could find Shockwave FoC, that'd be great too.

Shockwave is awesome in the games.

Chorazin

I really, really want Arcee, Chroma, and Brainstorm. The fact that he's a Headmaster makes me so freaking stoked. I've always loved Headmasters/Powermasters/Targetmasters. Two toys in one!

So anyone pick up the year of the horse prime and remove the gold parts? Read someone else did that, could wipe some of it off and repaint the gold parts silver. I would love a MP-10 but not at current resale values, so thinking of going to TRU and picking up one of these newer ones to just repaint as not crazy on the gold

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I saw the regular "deluxe" Strafe in the store today and could only shake my head.

You shouldn't, because he's actually a pretty good figure. Transformation is overly simple but he looks great in robot mode and pterosaur mode, plus his wingspan is properly huge. Easily the best of the initial five AoE Dinobots.

Ponn

Banned
You shouldn't, because he's actually a pretty good figure. Transformation is overly simple but he looks great in robot mode and pterosaur mode, plus his wingspan is properly huge. Easily the best of the initial five AoE Dinobots.

The only dinobots i would be interested in are the G1 deco set for sdcc. Those don't look bad. I hate their robot modes but have to admit who is going to keep them in robot mode anyways.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The only dinobots i would be interested in are the G1 deco set for sdcc. Those don't look bad. I hate their robot modes but have to admit who is going to keep them in robot mode anyways.

I've got them all in robot mode currently. They look quite nice together with the various colors and the "barbarian knight" aesthetic.

Ordered YotH Prime. I've always wanted MP prime, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of the colors its much better than paying out the ass right now. It'll look good right next to my MP Grimlock.

What are some other really awesome MPs? I'm thinking of getting Soundwave and pre-ordering Bumblebee.I would LOVE Rodimus and Starscream but their lots of $$ now :(

Also, where should I start with Transorfmers comics(trades/omnis)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ordered YotH Prime. I've always wanted MP prime, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of the colors its much better than paying out the ass right now. It'll look good right next to my MP Grimlock.

What are some other really awesome MPs? I'm thinking of getting Soundwave and pre-ordering Bumblebee.I would LOVE Rodimus and Starscream but their lots of $$ now :(

Rodimus is terrible, easily the worst MP, with Megatron the second worst, so you're not missing anything there. Soundwave is a good call, but I'd say Wheeljack is the better upcoming MP (not a fan of Bumblebee's backpack). You should also pick up one of each of the other two MP car molds, as they're very cool pieces of design work (Lambo: Sideswipe & Red Alert, Nissan: Prowl, Bluestreak & Smokescreen). Prowl and Sideswipe have US releases coming up if you want to avoid import prices. Grimlock is also worth it if you can find one that isn't in scalper hands.

Also, where should I start with Transorfmers comics(trades/omnis)

Start with Last Stand of the Wreckers, and from there go to More Than Meets The Eye Vol 1, which sets up the situation for the two ongoings. After that you can keep going on MTMTE or you can also delve into Robots in Disguise, which is concurrent with MTMTE with a separate story. It's not as good as MTMTE, IMO, but it's still a decent political thriller with some cool moments.

If you want more backstory before jumping in on MTMTE and RID, pick up the TPB for Chaos Theory, mainly for issues #22 and #23 contained in it. The story told in those issues will add a lot of depth to something that happens/is revealed in MTMTE.

Jobbs

Banned
This showed up on BBTS: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11799&mode=retail

TAK11799.jpg

I've been collecting MP autobots for a while now, that's kinda where I draw the line, and I've avoided things like the black repaint of Sideswipe and instead focused on getting the core individual characters, because if you buy *every* single repaint you go down a dark and costly road.

I find myself tempted by this Silverstreak, though, in part because Bluestreak was always a character I loved as a kid, and it just looks too cool. I think I'l stay strong, though, after all I have to get Wheeljack in August.

Rodimus is terrible, easily the worst MP, with Megatron the second worst, so you're not missing anything there. Soundwave is a good call, but I'd say Wheeljack is the better upcoming MP (not a fan of Bumblebee's backpack). You should also pick up one of each of the other two MP car molds, as they're very cool pieces of design work (Lambo: Sideswipe & Red Alert, Nissan: Prowl, Bluestreak & Smokescreen). Prowl and Sideswipe have US releases coming up if you want to avoid import prices. Grimlock is also worth it if you can find one that isn't in scalper hands.

The reissue of Grimlock has driven down prices a bit, still cheaper than what is used to be to get a Grimlock, but I'm sure this wont last. Got one for 119 from a TRU scalper

Ponn

Banned
I've got them all in robot mode currently. They look quite nice together with the various colors and the "barbarian knight" aesthetic.

Bayformers robot modes are just so...ugh...and they are DINObots. The Snarl one in G1 deco in that SDCC set looks really really good in chrome.

found a pic

MpzFprF.jpg

I miss Sludge :(

Bog

Junior Ace
I remember the night I walked in to TRU and saw the fresh display of probably a dozen Grimlock MPs back in 2010. Kicking myself for only buying the one.

I remember the night I walked in to TRU and saw the fresh display of probably a dozen Grimlock MPs back in 2010. Kicking myself for only buying the one.

I had MP-10 with the trailer in my hands and I put it down due to the price. Kicking myself still about it.

Start with Last Stand of the Wreckers, and from there go to More Than Meets The Eye Vol 1, which sets up the situation for the two ongoings. After that you can keep going on MTMTE or you can also delve into Robots in Disguise, which is concurrent with MTMTE with a separate story. It's not as good as MTMTE, IMO, but it's still a decent political thriller with some cool moments.

If you want more backstory before jumping in on MTMTE and RID, pick up the TPB for Chaos Theory, mainly for issues #22 and #23 contained in it. The story told in those issues will add a lot of depth to something that happens/is revealed in MTMTE.

Awesome thanks!

How much do you think the US releases of Prowl and Sideswipe will be?

Maximus.

Having a tough time finding generations Rattrap. I'm assuming he hasn't come out in my area yet, since I have been on top of checking in store and online on a pretty regular basis. Just worried because Waspinator disappeared after I bought him.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Bayformers robot modes are just so...ugh...and they are DINObots. The Snarl one in G1 deco in that SDCC set looks really really good in chrome.

found a pic

MpzFprF.jpg

I miss Sludge :(

At Botcon, one of the Hasbro gents said that they are looking into avenues to release a SDCC-ish G1 deco Sludge (er...Slog).

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Bayformers robot modes are just so...ugh...and they are DINObots.
Several Bayformers robot modes are great, and in fact one of the few good parts of AoE was the Dinobots standing together in their robot modes like ancient mech sentinels of some Miyazaki movie that was never made. And my G1 Dinobots are all in robot mode on the shelf, too. As are MP Grimlock and FoC Grimlock. They are dinoBOTS.

Awesome thanks!

How much do you think the US releases of Prowl and Sideswipe will be?

I would hope not more than $50, although some rumors put them at $60.

Tizoc

The latest issue of More than meets the eye is nothing short of brilliant, I feel bad for the poor saps who endure Bayformers movies to get their TF fix, when they could indulge in some of the best story and characterization in a medium with this series.
Everyone trying to give Rodimus options to prevent his future death was hilarious, ESPECIALLY WHEN MEGATRON WEIGHED IN HIS OPINION

The latest issue of More than meets the eye is nothing short of brilliant, I feel bad for the poor saps who endure Bayformers movies to get their TF fix, when they could indulge in some of the best story and characterization in a medium with this series.
Everyone trying to give Rodimus options to prevent his future death was hilarious, ESPECIALLY WHEN MEGATRON WEIGHED IN HIS OPINION

In this issue the new status quo has finally been revealed and we are now ready for some real Lost Light adventures.
I love the interactions between the new co-captains. I can't wait for the next issue.

The first issue is still free for everyone interested.

So I ordered Smokescreen, then I found out there are KO versions that look just like the originals.

Although Amazon clearly has "KO" in the title and their $40, how do I know if the Smokescreen I got is a KO? Any give-aways on the box?

Easiest way to know is the price you paid for it. A KO will usually go for about 35-40$ for those, while the official ones around 60+

Also if you bought from a Chinese vendor for a low price, higher chance of KO. KO quality can be not bad really, biggest differences are usually in the paint.

Easiest way to know is the price you paid for it. A KO will usually go for about 35-40$ for those, while the official ones around 60+

Also if you bought from a Chinese vendor for a low price, higher chance of KO. KO quality can be not bad really, biggest differences are usually in the paint.

Cool thanks. I paid $70 for it, and everything looks good TBH, so I'll just put my mind at ease that its official :)

Yea for $70 it should be the real thing.

The KO stuff is apparently not awful either, but for the price I would hope I got the real thing.

Yeah I'm thinking I may pick up a KO just for the kids to play with so I don't feel like a jerk telling them to get away from my figures lol.

Top Bottom