• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Enkidu

I got an MP-11 not too long ago as my first Masterpiece seeker. While I really like it, the loose chest does bring it down quite a bit. I don't know whether there are any "fixes" out there already, but I figured it shouldn't be that hard to fix myself so here's the first 3D print I've ever done:
0eyHcsz.png

Luckily it seems I got all the measurements right on the first try as it sits rather well, and if I paint it grey it should be quite discreet too.
7wfoMRc.png

So now Starscream can hang upside down :p
ZP3UrsV.png

It's not the most elegant solution, but at least this way I don't have to physically modify a quite expensive toy.

aparisi2274

I just saw this on TFW, and I have decided that I need this.

deza3y3y_1405444543.jpg

Here is the blurb from the site:

We have a new clearer look at an upcoming Japanese market Generation 1 Optimus Prime statue. No details on who is making it, where or when it will be released, but this is the second look we've seen recently. Check out the shot after the break and discuss on the forums!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hot Toys is doing Transformers now.

zOjKiqF.jpg

Featuring the strangest damn bonus accessory in Transformers history: Pieces of Starscream's corpse.

noReMq5.jpg

I have mad love for Hot Toys *glances at the Iron Man collection* but I just don't get this. It looks like a chunkier MP-10 that doesn't transform with some really bizarre accessories. Why not do Movie Prime? It would be a perfect fit for Hot Toys' style. Imagine a 12" figure that looked almost as good as this, but fully articulated, with a shit ton of weapons. Hell, I don't even like Bayformers, but I'd probably buy that.

BTW, that's the $2300 Prime 1 Studio's statue.

Tizoc

I never quite understood the idea behind some TFers have 'guns' on their heads like Bombshell and Scourge for example.

Also I can't unsee Cyclonus design as anything but a samurai armor.

I have mad love for Hot Toys *glances at the Iron Man collection* but I just don't get this. It looks like a chunkier MP-10 that doesn't transform with some really bizarre accessories. Why not do Movie Prime? It would be a perfect fit for Hot Toys' style. Imagine a 12" figure that looked almost as good as this, but fully articulated, with a shit ton of weapons. Hell, I don't even like Bayformers, but I'd probably buy that.

BTW, that's the $2300 Prime 1 Studio's statue.

I was just about to say this. They toy looks cool, and Hot Toys has the absolute best in my opinion, but Transformers doesn't really fit them.

Mike M

Nick N
Urrrrgh, that framerate. Not sure if it's a limitation of the cell-shading or intentional to make it look more 2D, but it's awful.

Mike M

Nick N
There's always at least one kid, Beast Wars/Beast Machines aside.

I can't fathom why this is somehow always a surprise.

Beth Cyra

Hot Toys is doing Transformers now.

zOjKiqF.jpg

Featuring the strangest damn bonus accessory in Transformers history: Pieces of Starscream's corpse.

noReMq5.jpg
Yuck.

That said given its Hot Toys its almost assured it gets repainted multiple times so I could get a Magnus out of this.

Still not a replacement for a White MP 10.

Ponn

Banned
So apparently this happened at SDCC today, glad I held off on those expensive third party ones now. Got info from tfw2005.

Menasor

Superion

Motormaster

Silverbolt will be voyager class

rest will be deluxe class

This one may cause some eyebrows to raise from Transformer G1 purists but I don't mind. We may end up getting a Defensor to because of it.

Also there are supposed to be option legends class bots you can buy for each one that forms the chest for Menasor and a gun for Superion

Savitar

Those are pretty nice. Thought chopter bot was a space shuttle first in the combined mode. Any reason they're changing some of the members?

I still remember when my father bought me the Aerialbots in the day, had them all. Was pretty awesome. Though they had a habit of getting their heads snapping due to their neck/head being the joints that go into the body.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So apparently this happened at SDCC today, glad I held off on those expensive third party ones now. Got info from tfw2005.

Well, they don't in any way compare to the third party ones, but they are a massive leap up from FoC Bruticus, that's for sure. Even better, the individual bots all look good, too, especially the Voyagers. There is plenty of room for a third Menasor on the shelf.

Chorazin

I think the new combiners look pretty good, and considering getting them all will probably be around $80-$90, that's much easier on the wallet than $70 (or more!) per part of a 3rd party combiner.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't think it's possible to make Menasor look good. Easily my least favorite combiner.

I would be interested to see Defensor and Computron done in this style.

That mold looks much better as Motormaster than it did as a fat gorilla prime.

I'm not digging this Menasor's combined mode, but I do dig the alts of all the limbs, particularly dragstrip. Wildrider got hosed real bad though.

Superion, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. Looks great as the Gestalt.

Superion is ruined by it's toothpick thights sadly.

I like the stunticons individual figs, but combined Menasor looks meh. While the Aerialbots look hideous standalone, but decent combined.... except forgetting legs day.

Ponn

Banned
My only complaint about Menasor is that his head looks to much like Unicron....

Mine too. I get they were going for the horned look but they are way too skinny. Menasor was never an outstanding combiner in the looks department. I mean he was pretty generic and boxy looking. The straight pose they got this for shot isn't helping so I will hold out till we get better shots of articulation and poses. Maybe with a sword or something.

Besides the horns my only other complaint is the lack of a trailer for Motormaster.

Firemind

I don't think it's possible to make Menasor look good. Easily my least favorite combiner.

I would be interested to see Defensor and Computron done in this style.

Menasor is great, you heathen.

This though... these are supposed to be official toys? The only ones who look similar to the G1 designs in car form are Dragstrip and Breakdown. Kinda. Deadend isn't a Porsche, Wildrider isn't a Ferrari, Motormaster is a truck without a trailer. And to top it off, there's a sixth Stunticon. One of their long lost cousin or something; I don't know how the fuck IDW are going to explain that.

The Aerialbots are alright, but still sort of hideous in jet form. What's with the paint job? RIP Slingshot

aparisi2274

Mine too. I get they were going for the horned look but they are way too skinny. Menasor was never an outstanding combiner in the looks department. I mean he was pretty generic and boxy looking. The straight pose they got this for shot isn't helping so I will hold out till we get better shots of articulation and poses. Maybe with a sword or something.

Besides the horns my only other complaint is the lack of a trailer for Motormaster.

When you compare it to the G1 Menasor, this new one looks infinitely better:

transformers-g1-reissue-remake-menasor-giftset-figure-04e2.jpg

VS.

MENASOR-combined1.png

Firemind

Now that is menacing.

My image of Menasor is that of a giant robot samurai made up of supercars and has a bloodthirsty, twisted and psychotic mind, wielding a gigantic blade made of a special alloy designed to cut through the thickest armour. He's second to only Predaking and his primal instincts. Bruticus may pack more firepower and efficiency, but Menasor has that insane look in his eyes like he's going to dismember you, chain and hang whatever is left until you die a slow and agonizing death. It helps the individual Stunticons are a bit mental and despise Motormaster, because he's an incompetent leader of a team of fast supercars.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Well my first step into collecting again has hit a road block!

Ordered this guy through Amazon.co.uk for just £5.00!:

71ew8nJ0aEL._SL1500_.jpg

Was contacted by seller to cancel order as they had sold out just before I requested mine :-(

Faiz

... and it's also $380+, it is quite silly to be comparing expensive figs like that to stuff made to be affordable to the general consumer and kids.

Most third party figures aren't terribly complicated. The real expense comes from the limited production scale. If Hasbro were manufacturing the same items they'd be a fraction of the cost.

Sure when it comes down to where you spend your limited hobby funds, it's easy for a $100 Hasbro combiner to win out over a $380 3rd party version. But there's very little reason Hasbro couldn't make something that looks as great as those third parties do... And that's frustrating.

Most third party figures aren't terribly complicated. The real expense comes from the limited production scale. If Hasbro were manufacturing the same items they'd be a fraction of the cost.

Sure when it comes down to where you spend your limited hobby funds, it's easy for a $100 Hasbro combiner to win out over a $380 3rd party version. But there's very little reason Hasbro couldn't make something that looks as great as those third parties do... And that's frustrating.

Don't really agree, many of the 3rd party stuff is on par of complexity and size as MP figures. I'm sure they could make something similar, but the cost is going to also go into similar territory. Hasbro's focus is on selling mass quantities to the public and kids, not adult collectors who are willing to pay the higher prices

Faiz

Don't really agree, many of the 3rd party stuff is on par of complexity and size as MP figures. I'm sure they could make something similar, but the cost is going to also go into similar territory. Hasbro's focus is on selling mass quantities to the public and kids, not adult collectors who are willing to pay the higher prices

Uh... A very very large portion of 3rd party figures are Small deluxe to larger voyager. Yeah there are some Masterpiece sized figures but that's not the norm by any means.

Exactly, thank you. I was trying to find the right words to say this yesterday but my diction was failing me at the time so I left it alone. I mean, consider the enormously vast resources Hasbro and Takara-Tomy must have compared to the little third party guys too. As much as I want to support the official products, I just think Hasbro should be able to do better. I commend their effort though, this is definitely something for the fans, even if I don't like their execution.

Uh... A very very large portion of 3rd party figures are Small deluxe to larger voyager. Yeah there are some Masterpiece sized figures but that's not the norm by any means.

In some cases, but there is a vast difference in detail, complexity, and quality of components, and paint jobs in these figures. Hasbro could do it, they could match the detail and such, but again it's going to increase prices beyond what they want at retail. Size is only a small factor.

No one is putting out detailed figs like the 3rd party figs at comparable prices to what these mass market figs are

Faiz

In some cases, but there is a vast difference in detail, complexity, and quality of components, and paint jobs in these figures. Hasbro could do it, they could match the detail and such, but again it's going to increase prices beyond what they want at retail. Size is only a small factor.

No one is putting out detailed figs like the 3rd party figs at comparable prices to what these mass market figs are

Oh I'm not arguing that it wouldn't increase the price over their current retail target some. It might, depending on how complicated they go.

But really, they could still cheap out and keep things like posability down (compared to the 3rd parties anyway) for mass market figures while focusing on basic aesthetic improvements such as proportions. That would go a really long way to improving my outlook on their efforts.

As it is I like the bot modes on all of the individuals much better than the gestalt modes, so I'm still in. Just still feel like Hasbro could do SO much better on designing the combiners.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
On one hand I really did want those because of the G1 nod, but on the other I was so unimpressed by the AoE Dinobot molds in the end that I couldn't justify the cost for a nice box.

Top Bottom