• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Anth0ny

A reprint of MP-10 is going to Asian regions.

It's the Hasbro release, and places like RobotKingdom and BBTS have preorders up now. 160 bucks.

Beats the crap out of the aftermarket prices for MP-10 as he stands now, even if he is a fair bit pricier than the first Hasbro USA release.

Is this as nice as the other Masterpiece Optimus? I have basically no experience with Transformers toys, but I've always wanted a Masterpiece Optimus Prime. I've been trying to buy one for YEARS. it never showed up at any nearby TRUs, and the ones I've seen at conventions went for no less than $400.

$160 is NOTHING, assuming this is a legit Masterpiece Optimus.

aparisi2274

Playstation Optimus Prime

xgvuj9y9jnvsgfg653ma.jpg

dsze7ji3ypfzcacbdgwy.jpg

wuu5ilmmaz3e8je9l4rn.jpg

yp9be5updkyewecmywmo.jpg

Is this as nice as the other Masterpiece Optimus? I have basically no experience with Transformers toys, but I've always wanted a Masterpiece Optimus Prime. I've been trying to buy one for YEARS. it never showed up at any nearby TRUs, and the ones I've seen at conventions went for no less than $400.

It is a legit one, it's the Hasbro release from TRU that sold out damn near instantly and is selling for ridiculous amounts second-hand.

MP-10 is really, really nice. I have a YOTH prime, but that's it, and I'm a big fan of it. I think I'll grab this reissue so I can get it in non-redeco'd colours.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

It is a legit reissue of MP-10, which is not only the best Optimus ever made, but probably the best Transformer ever made, period. $160 is a steal.

Anth0ny

AHHHHHHHHH

WHO THINKS OF THIS SHIT

Am I really about to pre-order Masterpiece Optimus, Megadrive Megatron and now Playstation Optimus?

yes

It is a legit one, it's the Hasbro release from TRU that sold out damn near instantly and is selling for ridiculous amounts second-hand.

MP-10 is really, really nice. I have a YOTH prime, but that's it, and I'm a big fan of it. I think I'll grab this reissue so I can get it in non-redeco'd colours.

It is a legit reissue of MP-10, which is not only the best Optimus ever made, but probably the best Transformer ever made, period. $160 is a steal.

Awesome. Thanks for the help! Definitely pre-ordering :)

Prowl and Sunstorm both still available in stock at TRU.

Wonder if it's the price. I can see Sunstorm being something many don't care about being obscure, but Prowl I assume has to be due to the price.

Wonder if it's the price. I can see Sunstorm being something many don't care about being obscure, but Prowl I assume has to be due to the price.

Thanks for the heads up, I somehow had missed that Prowl had been put up on TRU.com.

No interest in Sunstorm at all for me, nor did I have interest in Acid Rain. I only wanted the original three Seekers, but when I never found the Wal-Mart exclusive Starscream, that dream died. I only have a Skywarp I found on clearance at Wal-Mart for $20.

Regardless, Prowl was a must have for me.

Faiz

Agreed. Anyone willing to spend that much probably already bought the Takara Tomy release... Or are now going back to buy it anyway. $70 is way too much for a US release. Should have been half that.

Hell, I just bought a Smokescreen for less.

Are these ever available in stores? Or just online?

In store distribution is very, very spotty. And for the highly desired MPs (i.e. Prime, Soundwave, Grimlock), they fly off the shelves pretty quickly.

I only spotted Prime in store once. I called to have a Soundwave held for me in store. Still haven't seen Grimlock in store, but I got him online.

Used to be easier. I remember the original Grimlock release hanging around, and Rodimus was available for quite a while. But times have changed. Online is the best way to get these if you want them. And free shipping is nice. If TRU happens to offer one of their 20% off Friends & Family coupons anytime soon, I'll just take my Prowl in to the store, then return and rebuy with the coupon. I kind did this with Grimlock when I purchased online, then later got a deal on a $100 TRU gift card for $80, so I returned Grimlock in store, then rebought him with the gift card.

Are these ever available in stores? Or just online?

You can check online to see if your local stores have em

Agreed. Anyone willing to spend that much probably already bought the Takara Tomy release... Or are now going back to buy it anyway. $70 is way too much for a US release. Should have been half that.

Hell, I just bought a Smokescreen for less.

Yea I've seen Prowl available online for less than this many times, and for actual Takara release versions.

Mike M

Nick N
TRU exclusive pricing has been out of whack for a while now. $60 for TF:prime Magnus? $100 for Supreme Cyberton Starscream in G1 colors? C'mon.

aparisi2274

TRU exclusive pricing has been out of whack for a while now. $60 for TF:prime Magnus? $100 for Supreme Cyberton Starscream in G1 colors? C'mon.

Aren't those exclusive to TRU? I assume that they figure they can get away with whacked out pricing, since they are the only place to purchase them...

Mike M

Nick N
Aren't those exclusive to TRU? I assume that they figure they can get away with whacked out pricing, since they are the only place to purchase them...
Yeah, but the premium pricing is a relatively recent phenomenon. Past exclusives just went for the same rate as the rest of the size class.

Speaking of MP Skywarp, I think I miss a hand or some other accessory. Anyone know where they might sell MP accessories?

Your best guess is trawling for parts on something like TFW2005's trade forums. There is not a place to order replacement bits straight out. Checking eBay is a good shout too.

Firemind

Well, that sucks. If I recall correctly, it didn't even came with the accessory. I'm normally super careful about that sort of stuff. Not sure if it's a production/packaging error or they sold me a second hand. I bought it in Hong Kong.

Also, where might I procure a MP Grimlock? I missed out when it was released and now I'm afraid they're discontinued and out of stock.

Nice, I found out that my local TRU has a Sunstorm so I decided to pick it up because I've been wanting a jet without the second hand price gouge.

Holy shit this thing is awful! First off why ship it in jet mode and have the instructions be for turning it from robot to jet?

Second, this thing barely stays together in robot mode. I'm gonna need to tape it to keep it posed and every time I try to post some other shit pops off.

What a massive waste of money.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nice, I found out that my local TRU has a Sandstorm so I decided to pick it up because I've been wanting a jet without the second hand price gouge.

Holy shit this thing is awful! First off why ship it in jet mode and have the instructions be for turning it from robot to jet?

Second, this thing barely stays together in robot mode. I'm gonna need to tape it to keep it posed and every time I try to post some other shit pops off.

What a massive waste of money.

If you mean Sunstorm, do not upset the Seeker Armada!

7lfYzXNl.jpg

BTW if you think the Mp-11 mold is bad try the MP-3 mold, yikes!

LOL yeah I mean Sunstorm.

I guess I just feel jaded because the right wing(high right) keeps flipping back and its really messing me up trying to pose it >:[

BTW thats a great collection man!

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
LOL yeah I mean Sunstorm.

I guess I just feel jaded because the right wing(high right) keeps flipping back and its really messing me up trying to pose it >:[

BTW thats a great collection man!

Sorry not my pic, don't have all of them. I do have Acidstorm, Sunstorm, Starscream, and Thundercracker in the mp-11 molds, ghost starscream and skywarp in the mp-3 molds.

My acidstorm has that loose wing thing going on. Some times flops down, doesn't peg to well into his back.

The mp-3 are shit at standing, gotta use the stand on them for sure.

Would TRU not take a return if it's something you don't like?

I've not had any problems with MP-11 molds, but I only have two. (Thundercracker and Acid Storm). I have the old Skywarp, and that one's problematic as hell, though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
MP Magnus' transformation in more detail.

10568856_725882940810982_3073538373228691110_n.jpg

And some more details on Star Saber. Brainmaster features intact!

tcJ9KPN.jpg

Lwdi77S.jpg

VZ39w5r.jpg

iMfJ7UZ.jpg

I don't really know who Star Saber is as a character, but I'm excited to see a ____master gimmick in an MP. The Targetmaster that came with US MP Hot Rod doesn't count.

Ovek

7Member7
Heh Star Saber looks awsome, the little dude is "Brain of Courage" which is Sabers smallest form.

It looks like they are implementing the original toys features like putting the little robot in Sabers chest and it rises up to fill in his face.

I'm going to assume it's also going to have the sword gimmic as well which is cool as hell.

Mike M

Nick N
I think they're from a couple waves ago. I distinctly remember the terribad artwork on the covers of the comics that came with them...

Tizoc

So let me see if I got this straight...Pretenders, instead of transforming into vehicles, 'take on the appearance of a native life form itself', that being the case, wtf is
G1Longtooth_MTMTE.jpg

Mike M

Nick N
So let me see if I got this straight...Pretenders, instead of transforming into vehicles, 'take on the appearance of a native life form itself', that being the case, wtf is
G1Longtooth_MTMTE.jpg
What? No no no, they still transform. They're just inside a shell.

They were really weird, not particularly great toys... The tail end of G1 was a lot of flailing wildly to stay relevant in the face of other toy trends.

Well now I know how Beast Wars came about...

I think they're from a couple waves ago. I distinctly remember the terribad artwork on the covers of the comics that came with them...

Ah yup Series 3. I didn't know they looked this cool. I guess I'm snag up the 4 pack from BBTS

Ringo

The first Decepticon pretenders took on the forms of monsters, the Autobots that of gigantic humans. The G1 comic explains why.

NEO0MJ

G1Longtooth_MTMTE.jpg

Pretenders were just ergular transformers wearing biomechanical suits of armor.

Mike M

Nick N
Well the idea of transforming animals wasn't even new to TFs by the time Beast Wars rolled around. What about the Predacons and the Dinobots?
To be fair, they turned into *robot* animals where as BW was about robots that turned into "realistic" (Well, until Transmetals and Fuzors hit the scene) animals.

Then you had shit like G1 Chainclaw, the Pretender bear that... Contained a robot that turned into a robot bear...

To be fair, they turned into *robot* animals where as BW was about robots that turned into "realistic" (Well, until Transmetals and Fuzors hit the scene) animals.
Yeah, but Beast Wars was still an evolution of that idea, even if the approach and aesthetic was different. The TF brand was in the shitter after G2, so Hasbro had the revamp the toyline, and their gambit paid off.

Tizoc

Ah OK, well some of these Pretender shells are really weird like Doubleheader's.

Speaking of which, was Doubleheader always an Autobot?

Unique Toys Warlord, opinions?

I don't like the larger size as I was hoping to keep the gestalts in my collection around same size. Was kinda bumbed that Menasor was so much bigger than the Bruticus after the add on kit

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Unique Toys Warlord, opinions?

I don't like the larger size as I was hoping to keep the gestalts in my collection around same size. Was kinda bumbed that Menasor was so much bigger than the Bruticus after the add on kit

Tremendously inferior to the MMC Feral Rex figures in every way, IMO. Dull design, messy proportions, and just overpriced for being basically G1 knockoffs with more joints. I prefer Feral Rex's "reimagining" of the characters.

Top Bottom