• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Yeah, that box is super awesome.

I just hope that the HTS run this year gives me half a chance to snag the Knights of Unicron collection. They've sold out really quick on all the usual retailer spaces.

I actually find the set to be hilarious and endearing. I'd buy it if it was on the shelf, too.

But feel free to chalk it up to the fact that it's an SDCC thing, if you want.

I actually find the set to be hilarious and endearing. I'd buy it if it was on the shelf, too.

But feel free to chalk it up to the fact that it's an SDCC thing, if you want.
Hey I think it's cute too in a ridiculously campy way, but I have no interest in owning it, and it's definitely not worth $184.99+ to me. To each their own.

That's fair. I think it's a really weird piece and definitely understand why a lot of people don't like it.

I'm actually happy that SDCC stuff this year is a bit more esoteric than some of the offerings from the past few years. Nothing sucks more than having a legitimate gap in the collection that can only be filled by some convention piece.

Botcon is way worse for that than SDCC though.

Edit: You're right though, shit is ridiculously pricey for what it is. The aftermarket markup is over 50%, too, and that's well beyond what's reasonable. I'd be down for spending the MSRP, as much as it hurts, for the novelty of it, but definitely not the 300 bucks BBTS was asking.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Hey I think it's cute too in a ridiculously campy way, but I have no interest in owning it, and it's definitely not worth $184.99+ to me. To each their own.

I'd buy it for $100. But all the exclusives (even the Kreon one) were priced way too high this year.

13160130543_f1407bcf68_b.jpg

Anyone actually have this? Was considering actually picking it up but saw a video review of it, and it looked kinda bad. Very unstable and the transformation was complex and lot of cheats.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Anyone actually have this? Was considering actually picking it up but saw a video review of it, and it looked kinda bad. Very unstable and the transformation was complex and lot of cheats.

It's absolutely fantastic and one of my favorite pieces in my 1000+ robot collection. I don't know what you mean by "cheats."

Yes, I have this.

The individual limbs all look great in car and robot modes. Only not-dragstrip has a complex mechanism, and that's in the shoulders. It's under the front wheel wells. I had to look up a video, as the instructions aren't explicitly clear on how to use that mechanism. It's a neat idea and it works once you understand it, but the pictogram could be a whole shitload better.

Build quality is fantastic. All the ratchets are wonderful and I have no problems with stability. Feet are huge, but don't look off. They are flat and have a rubber base to prevent slippage. I have no problems with posability or range of movement, nor stability or other build concerns.

The complexity concern is valid; Not-Motormaster has at least three steps that involve a lot of twisting with some precision movements. (Pieces clearing and rotating around others, for example). There are arguments that part of his backpack is easier to remove and then reattach after the remainder of transformation. That's up to you, it doesn't really matter. It took me maybe 30 minutes to get him to torso mode the first time I did it, but that was being exceptionally slow and careful as I tend to be.

There are parts that were stored in and/or made out of of his trailer, sure. Fists, sword, a couple of armour pieces, but all of it was integrated well and never felt like a cheat. There's a mechanism that covers his chest that clips on, but that's not egregious or offensive in any way. It's in no way worse than something like G1 Abominus's chestplate.

Faiz

So a new IDW crossover called Combiner Wars is happening...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...combiner-wars-angry-birds-information-180838/

TFW2K5 says it's through RiD, though the press release just says "Transformers", and a new Windblade mini.

My main reaction is, please not another Windblade mini and if you have to please not as a crossover with one of the ongoings.

I didn't really hate the first Windblade, it just felt like I was reading from another transformers continuity entirely, though that's mostly down to the artwork. Which is pretty enough it is own right, if slightly unpolished, it just feels too different and doesn't fit well with the other IDW books.

the chris

So a new IDW crossover called Combiner Wars is happening...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers...combiner-wars-angry-birds-information-180838/

TFW2K5 says it's through RiD, though the press release just says "Transformers", and a new Windblade mini.

My main reaction is, please not another Windblade mini and if you have to please not as a crossover with one of the ongoings.

I didn't really hate the first Windblade, it just felt like I was reading from another transformers continuity entirely, though that's mostly down to the artwork. Which is pretty enough it is own right, if slightly unpolished, it just feels too different and doesn't fit well with the other IDW books.

As long as More than Meets the Eye is untouched I am okay with this.

I think he means using extra pieces that aren't parts of the original robots in order to combine them. To be honest, I don't like that, either.

Partially yea, seems like lot of stuff you have to pop out to get it to stick, also stuff like the legs not actually being the combiners, but simply the cars that clip onto the leg/feet parts.

jpatez34

Neo Member
So just pre-ordered my first Transformer in almost 25 years!

reduced-image_9141_106.jpg

He's flying accross the Atlantic sometime in September. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think he means using extra pieces that aren't parts of the original robots in order to combine them. To be honest, I don't like that, either.

Not a single piece of the combined mode isn't capable of being part of the normal robots while separate. The fists, feet, connector pieces, leg armatures and even the pieces that fill in Dead End's arm mode are all made out of pieces of Motormaster's trailer, all of which can plug into Motormaster himself in robot mode, and all of which is neatly contained in his trailer in vehicle mode. In fact, the only time there are extra pieces in any configuration is when they're combined. There are two parts leftover after you combine everything, which are the two arms' small guns, although they can be plugged into numerous pegs on Menasor if you just want to keep them in place, which makes the combined mode completely self-contained.

Partially yea, seems like lot of stuff you have to pop out to get it to stick, also stuff like the legs not actually being the combiners, but simply the cars that clip onto the leg/feet parts.

I don't really know what you mean by stuff you have to pop out to get it to stick. The legs are ingeniously designed, and the use of an armature for the cars to plug into results in thicker, better proportioned legs and a closer resemblance to the G1 animation model. It also allows the limbs' car modes to remain intact, as they're frankly too small to fit a plug large enough to connect to the torso properly. It's also nice to see a combiner that tries some new tricks rather than the usual stuff, and in fact the "plug-and-lock" system the combiner limb pieces use to connect onto Motormaster are very clever and will hopefully be used/stolen for other third party combiners in the future.

It takes some time to figure out, no doubt there (my first time combining them took about an hour), but they're all solid in all three modes, they look fantastic in all three modes, and Menasor holds together and poses better than any other third party combiner I have. Out of TFC Hercules, Maketoys Green Giant, and TFC Uranos, I have to give FP Intimidator the nod for #1 (MMC Feral Rex may take that spot soon, though). He's smaller than the others, but this is the Stunticon team I always wanted but never thought I'd get. If you like the Stunticons at all, I give them the highest recommendation.

B.K.

I just bought the Transformers comics Humble Bundle. Is there any place where I can find out what order to read the IDW comics?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I just bought the Transformers comics Humble Bundle. Is there any place where I can find out what order to read the IDW comics?

In terms of what comes in the bundle, you'll be missing some chunks, but the order for them would be:

Transformers Spotlight Vol. 1
All Hail Megatron Vol. 1-4
Transformers: For All Mankind
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Vol. 1-2
Transformers: Robots In Disguise Vol. 1-2
Transformers Autocracy is a flashback story to the early days of the war that can be read at any point during the MTMTE and RiD series.

There will be huge continuity gaps between many of the stories. In particular the Spotlight and AHM, and between For All Mankind and MTMTE/RiD. If you want a reading guide for all of the IDW stories, refer to this page.

Fall of Cybertron and Rage of the Dinobots are not part of IDW continuity and can be read at any time (Rage is ostensibly a continuation of Fall that tries to tie FoC into Transformers Prime's timeline, but that whole Aligned Continuity thing is nonsense anyway...just treat them as fun Dinobot stories). Regeneration One is a continuation of the original Marvel series, picking up where issue #80 left off.

Tizoc

I'm disappointed TBH with the additions to the TF comics Humble Bundle.

...and I once again would like to state how bummed I am that Transformers 22 and 23 are collected with the 3 issues that lead up to the main Chaos story, really wish those 2 issues were collected in a TPB along with the Spotlight issues that James Roberts wrote.

Ovek

7Member7
Jetfire in the house!

ooXX9tv.jpg

Macross Mode Activate!

jGKaud7.jpg

O3sj5Py.jpg

All in it's a good Jetfire but as with all American/Hasbro releases the joints are far too tight and yet again stupid chrome and missing paint apps on the legs.

Ah well out come the paints... ;)

Jetfire in the house!

<images>

Macross Mode Activate!

<images>

<images>

All in it's a good Jetfire but as with all American/Hasbro releases the joints are far too tight and yet again stupid chrome and missing paint apps on the legs.

Ah well out come the paints... ;)

Can you post a pic of the backpack when in robot mode, please? I've not been able to see the back of this guy in any promo or hands on shots I've seen.

Ovek

7Member7
Ugh, almost $50 with tax. I want him, but not that badly.

It's a good Jet fire in both robot and plane modes and it feels really solid in hand regardless of mode, also nothing stupid will happen if you pick it up in robot mode like MP Starscream for example.

The cons to it are annoying on the other hand:

1. Missing pant apps are stupid and the penny-pincher's as Hasbro should have been told to fuck off, yes you can paint it or more likely slap some repolables on it when they get around to releasing them to fix Hasbro cheapness.

2. Stupid chrome that will only chip off, mine skipped this step as the main gun came chipped out of the box... yay.

3. This is the big one - No wrist rotation, the entire forearm and hand are a solid piece. I can forgive that on a $15 toy but not on one that costs $50-$60.

4. I'm picking now but - Visible and rough sprue marks on the chrome bits.

Ovek

7Member7
Can you post a pic of the backpack when in robot mode, please? I've not been able to see the back of this guy in any promo or hands on shots I've seen.

Sure here you go:

Macross Booster Pack in up position
5pqMlbT.jpg

Macross Booster Pack in down position
k9M2uiH.jpg

No Booster Pack
sCnrT27.jpg

NEO0MJ

That thing is just begging to be inked. Also, god do I hate that Chrome. Did Hasbro find a hidden reserve of the thing? It's on everything right now.

So I got the Fansproject Bruticus upgrade kit along with the Asian colored g1 energon set to go with it, damn really impressed with the final product. Bruticus was always my fav gestalt, so now I got the itch though to start collecting all the 3rd party combiners..... this is going to hurt

I took a look at MMC Feral Rex again and now I really want it. I might start with my favourites Razorclaw and Divebomb and then see whether I want the rest as well.

Is there any place I can get away with less than $125 + $95 for these two?

This ish can't be real can it?
JointronAd.jpg
Very real. Here's the blurb from TFWiki:
The jovial Jointron (&#12472;&#12519;&#12452;&#12531;&#12488;&#12525;&#12531; Jointoron) brothers are a trio of fiesta-loving Mexican stereotypes. They love to party and scream bad Spanish at every opportunity. They also enjoy wearing ponchos, shaking maracas and pasting Frito Bandito-like mustaches on Maximals. They are hilariously inappropriate.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I took a look at MMC Feral Rex again and now I really want it. I might start with my favourites Razorclaw and Divebomb and then see whether I want the rest as well.

Is there any place I can get away with less than $125 + $95 for these two?

Unlikely. If you want to pay less than that, your only real shot is to get them used from someone who decides to sell them off later on.

Did everyone get what they wanted from Hasbro Toy Shop if they were looking for the SDCC drops?

Knights of Unicron proving to be extremely unpopular and is still up. Everything else seems to be gone.

Was just announced today in Korea that these Transformers ripoffs are now outselling Transformers and Lego in Korea lol
427950498.jpg

They are planning global launches for them in the next year as well. They definitely appeal to the younger audience that's for sure.

But there is just something not cool about a transforming Kia...

edit: just realized my mom drives one of those haha.

Vyer

Hey guys. My 5 year old has been into Transformers mainly through Rescue Bots and a little G1. He wants some figures beyond the rather simple Rescue Bots (which he has already). I used to be big into TF but not as much anymore so I know there are a lot of lines introduced since I was buying.

What would you guys recommend for figures where the transforming is a little more involved than Rescue Bots but still appropriate for a pretty young kid?

Mike M

Nick N
Hey guys. My 5 year old has been into Transformers mainly through Rescue Bots and a little G1. He wants some figures beyond the rather simple Rescue Bots (which he has already). I used to be big into TF but not as much anymore so I know there are a lot of lines introduced since I was buying.

What would you guys recommend for figures where the transforming is a little more involved than Rescue Bots but still appropriate for a pretty young kid?

The current movie line has a bunch of stuff geared for younger kids that are still more complicated than the Rescue Bots, but still pretty simple.

A reprint of MP-10 is going to Asian regions.

It's the Hasbro release, and places like RobotKingdom and BBTS have preorders up now. 160 bucks.

Beats the crap out of the aftermarket prices for MP-10 as he stands now, even if he is a fair bit pricier than the first Hasbro USA release.

Chorazin

Did everyone get what they wanted from Hasbro Toy Shop if they were looking for the SDCC drops?

Knights of Unicron proving to be extremely unpopular and is still up. Everything else seems to be gone.

I hope they want to move that stock and slash the price. Drop it to a cool $100 and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom