• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Faiz

I ran into MP Prowl and Sunstorm(?) at TRU by chance. Prowl was 70 dollars which surprised me. I guess the days of getting a Hasbro MP in the US for half or less the original price is over. I was looking forward to Wheeljack too, and I might as well preorder the Japan release now.

Yeah, Hasbro's really shooting themselves in the foot here. Lots of people who generally wait out the Hasbro releases are shifting to buying the TT releases instead. Might as well as the paint apps and QC are usually better.

I'm curious to see what will happen with future Hasbro releases. The $70 Prowl seems like a failure so will that result in lower prices for future releases, or fewer/no releases?

It's been over a month now and you can find plentiful Prowls and Sunstorms on shelves at TRU, they really fucked up with the pricing. You can buy these original releases for about same price or less online, the collector market that buys these things also know this. Random customer at TRU is not paying $70 for a small Prowl figure.

muteki

It's been over a month now and you can find plentiful Prowls and Sunstorms on shelves at TRU, they really fucked up with the pricing. You can buy these original releases for about same price or less online, the collector market that buys these things also know this. Random customer at TRU is not paying $70 for a small Prowl figure.
I'm never lucky enough/go to TRU that often to actually catch an MP on the shelf, so I was very excited at first. This explains why it was still there though. I did pickup a Soundwave online but justified the price because all the included cassettes that would have cost a ton otherwise. No way I am paying 70 for something the size of Prowl.

Edit: I found this thread and fuck if I'm considering pre-ordering the MP-10 reissue on BBTS. I always held off getting him years ago because of the stacks and have been kicking myself ever since.

I'm never lucky enough/go to TRU that often to actually catch an MP on the shelf, so I was very excited at first. This explains why it was still there though. I did pickup a Soundwave online but justified the price because all the included cassettes that would have cost a ton otherwise. No way I am paying 70 for something the size of Prowl.

Yea in the past it was typically cheaper via TRU as well as MP's that were out of print at the Japanese level, so resell values were much higher. Not the case with Prowl which is readily available everywhere and for similar or cheaper prices. And Sunstorm just isn't in high demand, and overpriced for an obscure repaint Seeker

Tizoc

So...the recent issue of Transformers MTMTE
Well it's kinda nice to have Rewind back, but hey I enjoy this book's writing to let something like that pass.
...but that ending
WTF
BRAINSTORM
, WTF?!?!

yami4ct

A lot of it has to do with TRU realizing that the MP line was a real moneymaker for them (from collectors and scalpers completely buying out stock) without realizing the demand was pretty well tied to the character as well. The fact that they raised the price of Prowl from the original $60 to $70 was such a massive blunder. $60 was pushing it to begin with. He would have sold well at the $40-50 level. He could have sold at the $60 level as well, but $70 is such overkill. TRU can't just tack on an extra $10 to every MP they get in. It doesn't work like that.

yami4ct

Wait Prowl is $70? I thought I paid $60 and $70 for Sunstorm? Ha I should watch my money better.

He started at $60, but in true TRU fashion, they jacked the price up to $70 like a month or so after release. They've done this with most of their limited collectors items. It's a shitty practice.

Faiz

He started at $60, but in true TRU fashion, they jacked the price up to $70 like a month or so after release. They've done this with most of their limited collectors items. It's a shitty practice.

I'm pretty sure he started at $60 in the database, but then before release even it was increased to $70.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
I have a friend who works at TRU, they have an interesting practice when it comes to "Collector Items"

When sales happen, they tell staff to take all the expensive Collector Items and put them in the stock room and not to be sold or removed till a sale ends

They did this many times when both Transformers and Power Rangers would on and off have their "EVERYTHING TRANSFORMERS IS 30% off sale" or the same for Power Rangers.

So they would get staff to put away Masterpiece toys (in this example, at the time the Soundwave and Acid Storm) or in the case of Power Rangers, the Legacy Morphers and Megazord/Dragonzord.

Well the sale ends, they bring them back out. It's a dirty practice for a dirty company that is barely surviving as it is.

That's really just local management being scum, if the company intended that those items not be included, they simply would state so in the sale and in their computer system.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
That's really just local management being scum, if the company intended that those items not be included, they simply would state so in the sale and in their computer system.

From everything I hear, the whole Toys R Us system is quite scummy. It's why the one I go to once a week near my house rarely has the same employees for more then 4 months. Revolving door employment.

Even though I knew I could find the TakaraTomy version of Masterpiece Prowl online and cheaper, I decided to buy the Hasbro version yesterday, mainly because I didn't feel like ordering online and having to wait for it to be delivered.

Also I can't believe this was my first Transformers purchase since like late 2012.

Started watching Masterforce.... wtf am I watching. Seriously does this turn more transformy eventually as this seems like typical sentai/kaiju anime. I came for transforming robots

Started watching Masterforce.... wtf am I watching. Seriously does this turn more transformy eventually as this seems like typical sentai/kaiju anime. I came for transforming robots
I'm pretty sure Masterforce doesn't turn into a "traditional" Transformers series eventually. :\

(Although, I admit to not having finished it yet, only got to episode 23 or so)

I'm pretty sure Masterforce doesn't turn into a "traditional" Transformers series eventually. :\

(Although, I admit to not having finished it yet, only got to episode 23 or so)

Well I know it's going to be different, but do we at least get real transformers in this and not just these Pretender beast things? Do we have older cast come back at least? Headmasters at least mixed it up with classic characters.

Well I know it's going to be different, but do we at least get real transformers in this and not just these Pretender beast things? Do we have older cast come back at least? Headmasters at least mixed it up with classic characters.
As far as I recall, only one older cast member ends up in Masterforce.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
8ufEOnc.jpg

MP-20 WheelJack arrived today. Joins the rest of my MP autobots.

great pic, hella jealous.

I also just got MP Wheeljack, but also need Smokescreen as well as your Rodimus and Grimlock to round out the Autobots (though I purposely am not buying stuff like Tigertrack or G2 sideswipe to keep my sanity/money)

I've always wondered, is it true that all versions of Masterpiece Rodimus will end up like breaking the arm or something or was that just like one version of the mold?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I've always wondered, is it true that all versions of Masterpiece Rodimus will end up like breaking the arm or something or was that just like one version of the mold?

I have the first run Takara version and a Hasbro version, and both are intact. The Takara version doesn't hold together very well, but it hasn't broken at all. I would just recommend care when handling any version of the MP Rodimus mold, as it's very fiddly and has tons of weird little parts that could snap or bend if handled roughly. Really it's probably the worst of the MP line in terms of durability and design.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

My US Rodimus has been fine, think they reworked some parts. I do have the Japanese Black Rodimus and his knee broke 1st time I tried to transform it. Thankfully got a new set off ebay and was able to replace them. From what I hear the knees and shoulder joints a bad on all of them. The foot flaps things were fixed in ver 2 in japan and now pop off instead of breaking.

Edit:

Kr9sK3S.jpg

My Decepticon line up

again, great lineup and picture!

I've got the 3 original seekers (with the coronation Starcream) and Soundwave with all the tapes (minus Ratbat). I love the Thundercracker/Starscream mold but really wish all 3 matched, I really don't like the Skywarp mould with the weird long jet parts on his hips, eyesore.

I have the first run Takara version and a Hasbro version, and both are intact. The Takara version doesn't hold together very well, but it hasn't broken at all. I would just recommend care when handling any version of the MP Rodimus mold, as it's very fiddly and has tons of weird little parts that could snap or bend if handled roughly. Really it's probably the worst of the MP line in terms of durability and design.

My US Rodimus has been fine, think they reworked some parts. I do have the Japanese Black Rodimus and his knee broke 1st time I tried to transform it. Thankfully got a new set off ebay and was able to replace them. From what I hear the knees and shoulder joints a bad on all of them. The foot flaps things were fixed in ver 2 in japan and now pop off instead of breaking.
Haha, thanks. I was wondering cause on a Transformers board I post on, a few users said something among the lines of "if you have the Masterpiece Rodimus, it's arms will break".

OK tf-gaf, apologies for the awful iphone picture but here is my masterpiece collection at the moment. Be gentle!

This random leftover piece of shelf is what I just moved into my office to display them all together. I have a detolf bought but sitting in its boxes in CT, I have to wait for a visit from my folks to drive into NYC to drop it off, TBD.

Masterpiececollection9-30_zps7f7ea4a0.jpg

top shelf are the 3 original seekers

second from top is Soundwave with all the tapes, sans Ratbat

third from top are the autobot cars: Sideswipe, Red Alert, Bluestreak, Prowl, and Wheeljack

bottom is Prime with trailer

That looks prety nice, though it's kinda funny how prime is at the bottom, and alone.

haha, ya...reason for that is potential for less mess should the cats knock him over. that's why the tapes are so far up! when the detolf gets set up it'll get changed around a bit, including opening the trailer and better displaying!

Enkidu

I just got MP Wheeljack and while I love the figure, unfortunately the box did not contain the missile for his shoulder. Is it worth contacting the site I bought it from or am I screwed?

I just got MP Wheeljack and while I love the figure, unfortunately the box did not contain the missile for his shoulder. Is it worth contacting the site I bought it from or am I screwed?
I'd contact the site you bought it from if only because the figure was supposed to come with that missile, but it didn't. :\

I mean, what would be the worst that could happen if you did? The site would probably say that there was nothing they could do or something.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Depends on the site, but most of them do a good job of getting replacements of just about anything. Last year my Encore Fort Max had a defective Spike figure and BBTS actually replaced it as a straight exchange of part for part, without requiring me to return the entire thing.

Cheerilee

man that animation style looks...really bad

like it looks like it's animated in flash (it's not animated in flash, is it?)

It's apparently being animated (or at least assited enough to get credit) by the same studio that did Transformers Prime and Tron Uprising.

They're just doing something really weird with the artstyle.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Here is the full list of Decepticons for the show. All teasers

https://twitter.com/ProtomanX/status/519604202159370240

From what I read they will transform in the show but won't have toys (and if they did it will be gimmick based ones)

So umm........ Deer Bot?

They've already shown at least one transforming version of one of those guys. Wouldn't surprise me if that had been true, but I think it's probably just fan FUD.

VD32RLq.jpg

Proto_Man

Neo Member
Price points according to NYCC Hasbro rep

Legion Class (Legends scale as we all know)
One-Step Class (Push button transformation, small little larger then Legends, like AoE toys)
Hyperchange Class (Voyager/Leader sized One Step transformation like toys, already exists in Age of Extinction line with Lockdown)
Warrior Class (Think Deluxe class but a little more simple and slightly smaller)
Titan Class (12 inch non transforming PVC figures which started appearing across all of Hasbro's brands)

No word of Voyagers, Leaders, ect

Proto_Man

Neo Member
Seems they are trying to take it simple and dial it back, even Age of Extinction was pretty tame in terms of bulk of toys. Gone are the days that a Movie Line lingers long after it's theatre and home video release

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Seems they are trying to take it simple and dial it back, even Age of Extinction was pretty tame in terms of bulk of toys. Gone are the days that a Movie Line lingers long after it's theatre and home video release

Really? Because all the stores here are still choked with AoE toys and I predict will remain so until some Black Friday/Christmas sales clear them out. All the simplified stuff just sits there. The only things that move are the Deluxes and Voyagers.

It only took a month, but I finally found a Jetfire in the wild. Mine has a right leg that was misassembled (the ratchet was in backwards) but that was an easy fix. I really dig this guy.

Hoping Reprolabels puts out a nice set to break up some of the white, though. Even a few simple black squares or red striping would break up the legs a bit.

Top Bottom