• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

aparisi2274

So, someone on ebay is selling MP Bumblebee, and they posted some shots of the final out of box toy, and I must say it looks great!!!

masterpiece-bumblebee_1415148598.jpg

$_57.JPG

yami4ct

Cannot wait for 'Bee to get here. Have to say I'm more excited for Magnus, though. I'm adoring the look of that figure and cannot wait to see more. That one-piece cab and trailer transformation seems like a thing of engineering beauty.

Best thing about these recent 'Bee leaks is that it confirms the use of clear plastic for the headlights and Spike's helmet. Those close to done pieces shown off at hobby shows that had dark blue for those pieces looked significantly worse. Not deal breaker bad, but certainly worse.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Multiple sources are claiming a Titan-class Devastator is in the cards for Combiner Wars next year. Since Titan class is MSRP $120, and six Voyagers add up to $120...could be one big sonuvabitch. Hasbro going after that third-party market?

Also it looks like the Leader Magnus is very, very G1 and not IDW at all. One source says that the third-party Citizen Stack was closer to IDW than the Leader Magnus is, heavily implying that the cab and trailer armor are separate.

Proto_Man

Neo Member
Multiple sources are claiming a Titan-class Devastator is in the cards for Combiner Wars next year. Since Titan class is MSRP $120, and six Voyagers add up to $120...could be one big sonuvabitch. Hasbro going after that third-party market?

Also it looks like the Leader Magnus is very, very G1 and not IDW at all. One source says that the third-party Citizen Stack was closer to IDW than the Leader Magnus is, heavily implying that the cab and trailer armor are separate.

While 3rd party companies do show that people are willing to spend 500 bucks on a combiner, it's hard to see this work for retail when a Supreme Movie Devastator (regardless of how shit the toy was or the movie) was barely able to sell in the peak of popularity in 2009

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well since the Titan Devastator would presumably A) Not be based on a terrible movie, B) Not be using that movie's dogshit designs, and C) Actually feature components with robot modes and vehicle modes, I'm thinking it will sell as fast as they can make them. G1 moves shit. If Metroplex can sell, Devastator will sell even more easily.

Mike M

Nick N
Interested, but kinda burnt out on Devastator. He's not as boring as Menasor, but he's been done so many times so many ways that the otherwise awesome thought of construction robots joining together to fuck shit up doesn't do much for me anymore.

Sick of Bruticus too : P

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'll reserve judgment on Devastator until I see what it looks like. I already have four versions of him, but if Hasbro's take is quality, I'll jump in.

With you on the Bruticus, though. After Warbotron I think that'll be that.

While 3rd party companies do show that people are willing to spend 500 bucks on a combiner, it's hard to see this work for retail when a Supreme Movie Devastator (regardless of how shit the toy was or the movie) was barely able to sell in the peak of popularity in 2009

No one wanted that ugly pos movie Devastator

muteki

No one wanted that ugly pos movie Devastator
Besides the fact that the design itself was atrocious, as a toy it was a half-ass hunk of plastic instead of a true combiner.

Nobody should have bought it.

But even the classics energon-repaint Devastator was pretty lame as well, along with other combiners of its time. But at least they had individual robots (well, some were copies of others) with individual robot and alt-modes and they cost half as much as movie Devastator.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yes yes, we know, but back then it was a hot topic item and people wanted it but they didn't want to pay almost 100 bucks for it.

People paid over $100 for Metroplex just fine. The Supreme Devastator was a piece of shit and everyone but the most Kool Aid chugging Bay apologists knew it.

MechDX

Heads up: TRU running a buy 1 get 1 40% off on all things Transformers tomorrow and Saturday . Including all figures and Kre-o.

Shopping for the kids and thought you may be interested.

aparisi2274

well, as much as I tried to resist, I couldn't and just pulled the trigger on this:

51rWiOVvVQL.jpg

41-Dj2Zy8mL.jpg

I have a problem! :(

(ps. I also plan on ordering the Playstation Optimus)

I just stopped into Image Anime in NYC and saw that megs genesis in person, smaller than I thought it'd be, but it was cool. I officially pre-ordered my Bumblebee MP, hopefully I'll have it just after thanksgiving.

aparisi2274

Random, but we were out holiday shopping and at Hallmark I noticed that they have a G1 Optimus ornament for the 30th anniversary. I wish they had others but it was still awesome.

I'm a HUGE G1 fan and I was gonna get that ornament, until I saw it in person. It's hideous!!

It's like they took the photo from the back of a G1 box when Optimus is in mid transformation and used that for the ornament. So what you get is a half transformed Optimus whose body is bent backwards as if his legs are separating from the cab.

I was so upset when I saw it in person!! Avoid at all costs.

muteki

I'm a HUGE G1 fan and I was gonna get that ornament, until I saw it in person. It's hideous!!

It's like they took the photo from the back of a G1 box when Optimus is in mid transformation and used that for the ornament. So what you get is a half transformed Optimus whose body is bent backwards as if his legs are separating from the cab.

I was so upset when I saw it in person!! Avoid at all costs.

Yeah, the real figure's hips don't work that way, but at least there are no flames.

Hi Transformers-GAF,

This is my first post! And where better to kick off than with Transformers?! I'm a long time TF fan, loved the G1 cartoon, movie and toys as a child of the 90s and followed G2 and Beast Wars/Machines...

I distinctly remember it being a family holiday in Florida when I was about 13 that I decided to 'grow up', and the last figure I got, I think, was Machine Wars Starscream - I loved it!

Anyway, fast forward to my post-Uni life and I somehow found myself going into the loft and getting together all my old figures for a bootsale on a Sunday morning - a collector-esque guy came around very early and gave me £90 for the stack of figures I had after much negotiation - when I got home I researched and found that they were virtually all desirable Euro-exclusive late G1/early G2 figures. I was gutted anyway.

I ended up deciding to buy a couple of Masterpiece figures and before I knew it, I'd purchased all of the Marvel tpbs and bought the G1 dvds and wound up bidding on all the figures I wanted as a kid but never managed to get hold of.

Fast forward to now, I have a big old collection of as much of the published fiction collections as I can get, as well as some of the convention comics - I have a real soft spot for them! I have a medium sized collection of figures, including G1 Megatron, G2 Laser Optimus Prime (same one I first got in the mid-90s one Christmas morning), Optimal Optimus and Primal Prime (lame name, but one of my favourites), Titan class Metropolex, Masterpiece Starscream, and various others..

And then last Christmas my girlfriend bought me the holy grail - Fortress Maximus! My inner child has never been so floored, words cannot express!

So that's my TF story GAF, I've enjoyed reading/lurking this thread for as long as it's been going and now I'm hoping to get involved too :)

I hope I haven't embarrassed myself too horrifically :-(

yami4ct

Looked who arrived today.

Great little figure. It's amazing how they fit all the quality you'd expect from an MP figure in a package his size. The yellow looks really great in person. I will admit, it's clearly inaccurate to the cartoon. I still prefer it to the lemon yellow. It will differentiate him from a MP Sunstreaker we hopefully eventually get.

Only real complaint is that the Daniel with Exosuit figure feels super extraneous. It's a good little figure, but nothing I'd ever really want. Just feels like it's there to increase Bee's price to that of the other MP cars. Still, Bee alone is worth that cost for me, so I can't say I mind leaving Daniel on the shelf a bit to the side of the other bots.

Even more excited for MP Ultra Magnus. He's going to be so great with the other bots.

yami4ct

How is the transformation? Easy? Hard?

It's super easy, but not in a boring way. I'd call it more "intuitive" than anything else. 80% of the transformation is in the legs, which are pretty darn fun. The way part of the hood "tucks" into the chest to lock everything into place is the only thing remotely tricky about it.

I thought MP Bumblebee came with Spike in the exosuit, not Daniel?

I can't tell for sure, but the figure inside the suit looks much younger. There isn't much detail to tell, but the hair and facial shape seem much more Daniel-esque.

Cheerilee

Yes but the figure is of a kid while spike was an adult before he wore one.

IIRC, Adult Spike had an exosuit in the movie, and when Daniel went off on his space adventure, the Autobots dug out "one of Spike's old exosuits" and found that it fit Daniel reasonably well.

Spike was technically still a kid at the end of season 2, before the 20 year timeskip, although he was a bigger kid than Daniel.

Spike spent most of G1 hanging out with Bumblebee, and sometime after season 2 he apparently started wearing exosuits.

Daniel isn't known to have ever hung out with Bumblebee, although it's possible.

3A has finally announced what they've been working on since they acquired the Transformers license earlier this year, and it looks amazing! This is exactly what Hot Toys should have done with the Transformers license, take designs that are impossible to translate into a transformable toy and go balls out. I don't even like Bay's movies, like at all, but this looks incredible. If the price is in the $200-$250 range then i'd seriously consider buying one. Bee stands 15" tall. Prime, Megatron and Starscream are all planned. Here's the prototype for Prime:

I'm sure I'll be the only one excited for these on this board, but these photos really impressed me.

What store in NYC do you use? What were they asking for Bumblebee??

I use Image Anime, on 30th between 7 and 8, less than a 10 minute walk for me which is nice. They were asking about $75 for Bumblebee...prices are usually pretty good on stuff, nothing too expensive, TF related. They get in all MP's, as well as other stuff like the Mega Drive Megatron and I know they're getting in the PSone Optimus too.

I'm liking the look of the aerial bots from Combiner Wars release, even if the superion looks like it skipped legs day

I'm sure I'll be the only one excited for these on this board, but these photos really impressed me.

Not transforming sucks but they look awesome, can't expect them to transform obviously when they are that good/accurate. I would be in for a movie Shockwave

aparisi2274

I use Image Anime, on 30th between 7 and 8, less than a 10 minute walk for me which is nice. They were asking about $75 for Bumblebee...prices are usually pretty good on stuff, nothing too expensive, TF related. They get in all MP's, as well as other stuff like the Mega Drive Megatron and I know they're getting in the PSone Optimus too.

Do they do preorders on things? I currently have the PS Optimus on preorder with Amazon jp, but if I can preorder locally I might take advantage of it.

Top Bottom