• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Hero

As Combiner Wars fever sweeps the Targets and WalMarts of the nation, be advised that Canadian Toys R Us computers show a listing for "Transformers Generations Devastator" at a $179.99 CDN price point (about $150 US). Looks like we're getting a Titan Class combiner, folks.

It's really, really not. MP-10 is a totally different mold with a bunch of different tricks to it. I have MP-01, MP-04, and two MP-10s, so I'm probably of a very different collector's stripe than you, but seriously, as someone who thought MP-01 was the greatest thing ever, MP-10 blows it out of the water. If you are uncomfortable owning two large Optimuses, I fully suggest selling off MP-01 and getting MP-10. It's really that much better.

Titan Class Devastator would be amazeballs.

And yeah, I'm considering getting MP-10. Maybe I'll keep them in different modes or something.

Is there any word on Masterpiece Sideswipe or Wheeljack being released in the US?

aparisi2274

Titan Class Devastator would be amazeballs.

And yeah, I'm considering getting MP-10. Maybe I'll keep them in different modes or something.

Is there any word on Masterpiece Sideswipe or Wheeljack being released in the US?

I just ordered Sideswipe from BBTS, because I hate dealing with Hasbro and Toys R Us. It's a pain in the ass to even secure a MP figure from TRU, if you're not at the store the moment it opens the day the figure comes out.

With how expensive prowl was at TRU, probably just easier to buy the Takara release online as price gap is closing. And the last two MP's stayed on shelves for months so who knows if they learned their lesson or gonna feel like stepping back from MP US releases.

Firemind

I thought the same way, but I'm glad I eventually got my hands on an MP-10. It's just a much better figure. Scales with the MP Autobot crew to make one of the most badass displays ever. It also is much easier to just play around with and is more dynamic. MP-1 has a boxier more heroic, heavy look to him. He has a look that captures the leader look of OP better from some scenes, but on the whole MP-10 is just way more like the animation model come to life.

It's really, really not. MP-10 is a totally different mold with a bunch of different tricks to it. I have MP-01, MP-04, and two MP-10s, so I'm probably of a very different collector's stripe than you, but seriously, as someone who thought MP-01 was the greatest thing ever, MP-10 blows it out of the water. If you are uncomfortable owning two large Optimuses, I fully suggest selling off MP-01 and getting MP-10. It's really that much better.

From the pictures, the arms are a bit too long/thin (the legs look great though) and the gun is too small, but the truck + trailer look fantastic.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Hasbro stated outright that Sideswipe was coming "this year" back at Botcon, which clearly did not turn out to be the case, but he's not cancelled. I would bet that all the MP cars will make it stateside eventually, but since the TRU MSRP is about the same price as importing the Takara versions, I'm just going to keep buying the Japanese versions. How ridiculous is it that it's easier, more dependable, and just as financially logical to import them from the other side of the world than buy them at the toy store down the street?

From the pictures, the arms are a bit too long/thin (the legs look great though) and the gun is too small, but the truck + trailer look fantastic.

Not remotely true. MP-10 is the best proportioned Optimus Prime ever made. I would almost go so far as to say it's flawless.

aparisi2274

So, I just got my MP-12 Lambor today, and I have to say, he is one of the nicest MP's to come to market!

16102377388_f772fd706e_c.jpg

15670040293_09eb60d02e_c.jpg

16289911085_9cbd45948c_c.jpg

With how expensive prowl was at TRU, probably just easier to buy the Takara release online as price gap is closing. And the last two MP's stayed on shelves for months so who knows if they learned their lesson or gonna feel like stepping back from MP US releases.

It was expensive at regular price, but then TRU.com had that one day sale (or whatever it was) on him, and I got him for about $36.

aparisi2274

Hey all, QQ....

Has anyone ever ordered RobotKingdom.com? They are taking preorders on the MP-10 reissue, and they only want $154.90, where most other places (BBTS included) are looking for $189.99.

I just want to make sure that Robotkingdom.com is reputable and not selling KO's from China.

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind. I see why it is so cheap. They charge $55 to $80 for shipping, so I guess the price is what it is going for in Japan, and the shipping is what it will cost to get it to the NYC area.

I know I don't talk about it much here(actually, I don't think I've ever mentioned it at all), but I've been planning on opening a toy store in Feb/March. In the beginning it will be dedicated to Transformers but I'd eventually branch out if I'm successful. This has been a childhood dream of mine.

Anyway the reason I mention it is that I was planning on selling selling the MP-10 Reissue for $175 and I plan on offering free shipping on orders over $150(or $125, I'm still trying to figure some stuff out there). Either way it would be free shipping.

Just throwing that out there if that is a better price for you, aparisi2274. Or anyone else who may be interested.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The identities of the next three Masterpieces may have been leaked...and one of them is a girl.

MP-25 -
Tracks
MP-26 -
Road Rage (red repaint of Tracks, female)
MP-27 -
Ironhide

The identities of the next three Masterpieces may have been leaked...and one of them is a girl.

MP-25 -
Tracks
MP-26 -
MP-27 -
Ironhide

I hope the above is true for MP-27. One of my favs from G1.

I know I don't talk about it much here(actually, I don't think I've ever mentioned it at all), but I've been planning on opening a toy store in Feb/March. In the beginning it will be dedicated to Transformers but I'd eventually branch out if I'm successful. This has been a childhood dream of mine.

Anyway the reason I mention it is that I was planning on selling selling the MP-10 Reissue for $175 and I plan on offering free shipping on orders over $150(or $125, I'm still trying to figure some stuff out there). Either way it would be free shipping.

Just throwing that out there if that is a better price for you, aparisi2274. Or anyone else who may be interested.
I'm actually really curious about this, would you mind answering a few questions?

1. Is this strictly an online store or are you also planning to have a brick and mortar location?

2. Where is your business going to be located?

3. MP-10 has a list price of 22 000 yen, which is rougly $187 USD. Your competitors (BBTS, TFSource, etc) are selling it at $189.99, and you plan to undercut them by $15, with free shipping on top. Either your wholesale is amazingly cheap, or you anticipate to move A LOT of units to even begin to make a profit. As a brand new business with no reputation behind it coming up against industry titans with an established customer base, are you hoping that undercutting your competitors will be enough?

If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions then I understand, but I'm just genuinely interested. As someone that has worked in the collectibles business I know how small profit margins are for this stuff. And I've tried finding wholesalers that carry Japanese TFs and such, but the wholesale discounts are so awful that buying from Amiami as just a regular Joe Schmoe customer ends up being cheaper than your wholesale once you factor in your shipping costs. Then you gotta do a markup just to cover the cost of running the business, at that point where's the room for profit? BBTS and TFSource pretty much sets the baseline pricing for North American online retailers of Japanese TFs, there's no going higher than them or you may as well not bother.

The market is tough, and with people being more frugal than ever I don't envy you entering into a sea full of already enormous fish. I do wish you the best of luck and I hope your business prospers and finds success!

Tizoc

So apparently the new TF animated series will be airing in a couple of months?

Anyone got any info about other than what's on the TF wiki?

MP-25 -
Tracks
MP-26 -
MP-27 -
Ironhide

That just seems like an odd choice for 25. Surprised we aren't getting Jazz still

Firemind

MP-25 -
Tracks
MP-26 -
MP-27 -
Ironhide
Oooooooh. Chevrolet Corvette I got jizz in my pants. Still no Porsche 935 though. :(

I'm actually really curious about this, would you mind answering a few questions?

1. Is this strictly an online store or are you also planning to have a brick and mortar location?

2. Where is your business going to be located?

3. MP-10 has a list price of 22 000 yen, which is rougly $187 USD. Your competitors (BBTS, TFSource, etc) are selling it at $189.99, and you plan to undercut them by $15, with free shipping on top. Either your wholesale is amazingly cheap, or you anticipate to move A LOT of units to even begin to make a profit. As a brand new business with no reputation behind it coming up against industry titans with an established customer base, are you hoping that undercutting your competitors will be enough?

If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions then I understand, but I'm just genuinely interested. As someone that has worked in the collectibles business I know how small profit margins are for this stuff. And I've tried finding wholesalers that carry Japanese TFs and such, but the wholesale discounts are so awful that buying from Amiami as just a regular Joe Schmoe customer ends up being cheaper than your wholesale once you factor in your shipping costs. Then you gotta do a markup just to cover the cost of running the business, at that point where's the room for profit? BBTS and TFSource pretty much sets the baseline pricing for North American online retailers of Japanese TFs, there's no going higher than them or you may as well not bother.

The market is tough, and with people being more frugal than ever I don't envy you entering into a sea full of already enormous fish. I do wish you the best of luck and I hope your business prospers and finds success!

No problem I'd be more than happy to answer

1) Online for now. I realize I'd do significantly better in brick and mortar especially since I don't know of too many places in my area that are selling import and third party Transformers, but I also love my day job(software engineer) and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet. Especially when I'm unsure of how this will pan out.

2) Skokie, IL. A suburb of Chicago.

3) I hope that the lower prices will help draw people to me initially. But I know I'll need to stay on my feet and come up with other ideas to help my business grow. It'll be a lot of work, thats for sure. My margins aren't amazing by any stretch(margins for Hasbro are damn near atrocious), but there isn't a whole lot I need to sell just to break even every month to cover the cost of running the business. Honestly, this may just become a hobby that pays for my family's vacations once a year, or it may flourish into a solid retail store, or I may just close it up after a few months. But I know if I don't try for this now I won't get another opportunity for a long time, if ever.

Thanks for you kind words, hopefully we'll get to do business together one day :)

aparisi2274

No problem I'd be more than happy to answer

1) Online for now. I realize I'd do significantly better in brick and mortar especially since I don't know of too many places in my area that are selling import and third party Transformers, but I also love my day job(software engineer) and I'm not quite ready to give that up yet. Especially when I'm unsure of how this will pan out.

2) Skokie, IL. A suburb of Chicago.

3) I hope that the lower prices will help draw people to me initially. But I know I'll need to stay on my feet and come up with other ideas to help my business grow. It'll be a lot of work, thats for sure. My margins aren't amazing by any stretch(margins for Hasbro are damn near atrocious), but there isn't a whole lot I need to sell just to break even every month to cover the cost of running the business. Honestly, this may just become a hobby that pays for my family's vacations once a year, or it may flourish into a solid retail store, or I may just close it up after a few months. But I know if I don't try for this now I won't get another opportunity for a long time, if ever.

Thanks for you kind words, hopefully we'll get to do business together one day :)

I assume that you'll be procuring legit MP figures and not KO's from China or other parts of Asia?

I agree with some other comments about the pricing model you have on paper for the MP10 reissue and how your undercutting the competition by about $15-$20 with Free Shipping no less.

I hope you do well with the new endeavor and if it takes off, I may place an order with you for a MP figure, but as of now, I may go with an established store.

It's going to be tough unless you plan on being a huge store that almost reaches wholesale levels of product stocking. Free shipping can bite you in the ass easily, even the cheapest methods from CA to across the state for some transformers can cost your business 20-30 bucks to ship unless you develop big business where UPS or FedEx can give you incentives or discounts. Along with the free shipping, what kind of mark up are you looking at from your wholesale prices? Do you have the buying power that these big online retailers have, like TFsource where they had what looked like pallets worth of the Ultra Magnus MP. Typically these types of stores trying to undercut and sell free shipping are making bare minimum profit and it all will depend if you can get large enough customer base to keep that trickle of profit worth it.

MP-25 -
Tracks

Oooh, I hope so. He's one of my favourites, and that would mean I can sell off the Binaltech which is looking dated now in comparison. And as for MP-27, I guess that means we know who MP-28 is...

aparisi2274

Ok, transformer fans, need advice

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=351006748492

I came across this BUY IT NOW on eBay, and it's very tempting. It's brand new, 100% authentic, comes with the coin, and free shipping.

Should I pull the trigger? The only Starscream I have is the OG MP-3 that had the dark green color scheme.

The only thing holding me back is that it is coming from Taiwan, and even though they say it's a legit item, I'm leery of getting anything like this from outside of Japan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jpatez34

Neo Member
Does anyone know why the X-Transbots MX-I Apollyon is always being delayed?

Had an e-mail update from Transbridge Omegalock saying that it was still on course for release before Feb 18th (Chinese New Year) but might be delayed until March.

I want MEGATRON dammit!!!

Does anyone know why the X-Transbots MX-I Apollyon is always being delayed?

Had an e-mail update from Transbridge Omegalock saying that it was still on course for release before Feb 18th (Chinese New Year) but might be delayed until March.

I want MEGATRON dammit!!!

Damn, yea sucks and it's holding up another order I have stacked with for free shipping at tfsource.

Tizoc

This is pretty much how I would describe Overlord:
"He's the worst kind of Decepticon; if he was on Earth, he'd toss a school bus full of children at fighter jets sent to take him down just for the fun of it"

My most anticipated figure for 2015...

27480370d1416414645-x-transbots-mx-i-apollyon-mp-megatron-10402430_738697819543009_5311565924636643733_n.jpg

Nice, how much are each going for?

yami4ct

My most anticipated figure for 2015...

[IM]http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/27480370d1416414645-x-transbots-mx-i-apollyon-mp-megatron-10402430_738697819543009_5311565924636643733_n.jpg[/IMG]

It's alright. Much better than MP-5 and it's in scale with 10, but the proportions still bug me and the legs still look like a mess. Waiting for the inevitable official MP Megs 2. If history is anything to go by, it'll blow this out of the water.

Zombine

Banned
Ok, transformer fans, need advice

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=351006748492

I came across this BUY IT NOW on eBay, and it's very tempting. It's brand new, 100% authentic, comes with the coin, and free shipping.

Should I pull the trigger? The only Starscream I have is the OG MP-3 that had the dark green color scheme.

The only thing holding me back is that it is coming from Taiwan, and even though they say it's a legit item, I'm leery of getting anything like this from outside of Japan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My brother owns all of the Masterpiece figures and this one was his most current purchase. The cape and crown are nice, but when you transform him his mid section where the cockpit is is SUPER loose.

yami4ct

My brother owns all of the Masterpiece figures and this one was his most current purchase. The cape and crown are nice, but when you transform him his mid section where the cockpit is is SUPER loose.

You're talking about robot mode, right? Is he correctly pegging in the nosecone to the back panel? I've found the everything tightens right up when I do that. If not, could be some mold degradation. Love that figure, personally. Beautiful colors, great new head sculpt and it doesn't feel like it's always going to snap like the original. Feel like I can actually play around with it. Also, he finally has heels.

It's alright. Much better than MP-5 and it's in scale with 10, but the proportions still bug me and the legs still look like a mess. Waiting for the inevitable official MP Megs 2. If history is anything to go by, it'll blow this out of the water.

I kinda have doubts they can replicate accurate transformation with the gun mode. One of the problems always with Megatron is that really odd gun mode so proportions are never quite right.

yami4ct

I kinda have doubts they can replicate accurate transformation with the gun mode. One of the problems always with Megatron is that really odd gun mode so proportions are never quite right.

Takara has proven themselves over and over. If anything, they'll do some clever alterations to the proportions of the gun to give the robot a better look. Either that or completely reimagine the transformation. In Takara I trust. The modern MP line has yet to disappoint me.

This is pretty much how I would describe Overlord:
"He's the worst kind of Decepticon; if he was on Earth, he'd toss a school bus full of children at fighter jets sent to take him down just for the fun of it"

Nice, how much are each going for?

Around $150 at most online stores. Getting mine from BBTS this time but Captured Prey is another excellent online store I usually go through.

Yes this is by far the best G1 Megs to date,been waiting for this since 84'. Getting two and if/when Takara finally redoes Megs Ill buy two of him too for sure. Not sure how much better it could actually be though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Yeah, the stubby legs are a real problem. It's a nice attempt but for $150 I need better proportions than that. If his crotch was just a LITTLE smaller and his thighs were just a LITTLE longer, I'd be in.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Well, that is certainly a Titan Class Devastator.

CW-Titan-Class-Devastator_1422864836.jpg

Quite the tiny head and some questionable color choices, but still better than I was expecting from Hasbro.

Looks alright, head is kinda small yea. Also the forearms look odd being all black and not really looking like part of the bots. Already got a green giant so oh well.

muteki

Quite the tiny head and some questionable color choices, but still better than I was expecting from Hasbro.

That is one of the better looking combiners Hasbro has put out in a long time. I haven't liked any of the designs where you could swap any appendage with another, and the arms and legs were mostly the same.

This is going to be impossible to find in a store isn't it?

Mike M

Nick N
This is going to be impossible to find in a store isn't it?
Eh, Metroplex had pretty good distribution.

I've been out of the completionist habit for a while, but my take is that the big ticket items that aren't MP figures generally aren't hard to find.

I just hope Costco stocks this one for $60 less than everywhere else like they did Metroplex.

Just preorder at any of the big transformer retailers and you should be golden, and most will have free shipping for an item of this price tag

Ovek

7Member7

CW-Titan-Class-Devastator_1422864836.jpg

Ignoring the fact that it's been posed like its drunk, it's all very meh.

The bad:
Stupid small head
Laughable club foot

The average:
Colour scheme seems interesting, not perfect but passable.

The good:
The upper body looks chunky which has been a problem with Hasbro combiners in the past.

I suppose it's not finished yet so they might tweek the paint jobs or in true Hasbro style remove as much as possible. They won't be fixing the head or the very poor looking Mixmaster.

I might buy it on the hope that a 3rd party will come and fix all the glaring problems with it.

a slightly bigger head alone would totally improve the whole look, it just seems a little awkward now because of it. Also noticed the tracks are colors purple and green and attached to the torso instead which looks a little iffy.

Mike M

Nick N
Personally, my chief complaint is how ludicrously small Mixmaster's cab is a foot. Most everything else I can deal with (well, maybe wish for a different shade of purple, but that could be the lighting.)

Ovek

7Member7
a slightly bigger head alone would totally improve the whole look, it just seems a little awkward now because of it. Also noticed the tracks are colors purple and green and attached to the torso instead which looks a little iffy.

I bet the tracks are different colours so you know which one goes on the left and which one goes on the right, I shit you not.

Apparently the colour scheme is final (as is the entire thing) as there were more than one Titan Devastator at the show all looking the same and all poorly transformed.

Personally, my chief complaint is how ludicrously small Mixmaster's cab is a foot. Most everything else I can deal with (well, maybe wish for a different shade of purple, but that could be the lighting.)

Probably my biggest problem with it as well.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I bet the tracks are different colours so you know which one goes on the left and which one goes on the right, I shit you not.

They're different colors because that's how the G1 toys were.

OOfH84R.jpg

IChmNCF.jpg

It's not his cab, it's the back end of this:

attachment.php

It is a pretty silly looking foot, though.

Top Bottom