• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Tizoc

So after reading up online it seems Rung
's transformation HAS A PURPOSE. I wonder if what he transforms into has something to do with their Missing Moon.
Also 1984-world Cybertron is terrifying.

bjork

Saw a great double-feature of Transformers: The Movie and GI Joe: The Movie at the Egyptian in Hollywood tonight

Ah man, that sounds like an awesome happening. I need to keep up on those theaters out that way, I keep missing stuff like this.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Ah man, that sounds like an awesome happening. I need to keep up on those theaters out that way, I keep missing stuff like this.

In a few weeks they're doing an Alien/Aliens double feature, which is pretty awesome because Alien premiered at the Egyptian in 1979. They even had the Space Jockey prop outside the theater on display, but someone lit it on fire and it burned up right there in the courtyard.

Ovek

7Member7
3rd party Rodimus Prime in MP scale if any ones interested ;)

27503110d1425978535-dx9-toys-hot-rodd006-rodimus_1425994284.jpg

Shame it's not Hot Rod in the "car" MP scale.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Speaking of third-party Masterpieces, BadCube War Dog (NotWarpath) has some pretty cool engineering tricks going on that make the robot mode about in scale with the MP cars' robot modes, but make the tank mode substantially larger than the MP cars' vehicle modes.

image_1425999307.jpg

image_1425999231.jpg

Enkidu

I really like the idea of it (a Rodimus with an all in one transformation) and it seems like they managed to pull of the engineering on him pretty well. Unfortunately the aesthetic does nothing for me, it just doesn't have the masterpiece look that I want.

yami4ct

Picked up the TF comic Humble Bundle and man both RID and MTMTE are so damn good. I dropped off of IDW after the first major "The Transformers" reboot, but this has sucked me back in. MTMTE is a damn masterpiece, but I really like what RID is doing from a thematic perspective. Turning the autobots into pseudo-villains is fascinating and the political machinations are so cool. Definitely going to pickup the Windblade mini at some point to keep the IDW reading train rolling.

I adore the idea, but they just don't pull it off. The whole blocky look many 3rd-parites use, especially FP, that this one also has just doesn't fit in with the line as a whole.

I hope and kind of expect we'll get a new version of Hot Rod someday, preferably in Car Scale. Even then, the original MP works for Rodimus Prime just fine.

Tizoc

The Cover for the Windblade TPB is great, and the art overall is really good.
The story was OK, but I may get it just for that cover
51%2BPloh8evL.jpg

Sorry for low res =X

Exhaust's deco was changed so there's no conflict with Philip Morris anymore. He shouldn't be any harder to get than any other MP.
Except that online stores have reported that even with the change, Philip Morris's lawyers are still stating that the deco is still too similar to the Marlboro logo, so orders are still cancelled.

Except Robot Kingdom for some reason.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Except that online stores have reported that even with the change, Philip Morris's lawyers are still stating that the deco is still too similar to the Marlboro logo, so orders are still cancelled.

Except Robot Kingdom for some reason.

My Captured Prey order is just fine, as far as I know. Even if it's true Philip Morris still objects to the altered deco (which is news to me), there's no legal restriction against selling the toy, it's just a matter of whether a particular store wants to risk a C&D from Philip Morris. Philip Morris can't sue every one-man online outfit in the world so most dealers will be pretty safe from legal action. If Takara's not canceling the release, it's not as dramatic as everyone's making it sound. All else fails, it'll be easy to get at collectibles shows and cons.

Also, the issue with Exhaust also has to deal with the fact that, at least in the USA, it's illegal for smoking-related markings to be on anything that could be intended for children. (Yeah I know Masterpiece figures are more aimed at collector markets than children, but I think legally they'd still be classified as toys, I'm not a lawyer or anything like that)

That's why stuff like this is still happening. Even though it's not licensed by Philip Morris, once it was brought to their attention, it would have have the deco be drastically altered because even though the deco was already changed, it was only changed because it was brought to the intention of their lawyers, and even the current Exhaust deco still resembles the Marlboro logo too much. And it's not really about money for their lawyers, they just don't want to face the severe legal repurcussions from knowingly allowing the sale of a toy that very obviously has Marlboro logos (albeit slightly modified logos, as said) in the USA.

Also, the issue with Exhaust also has to deal with the fact that, at least in the USA, it's illegal for smoking-related markings to be on anything that could be intended for children. (Yeah I know Masterpiece figures are more aimed at collector markets than children, but I think legally they'd still be classified as toys, I'm not a lawyer or anything like that)

That's why stuff like this is still happening. Even though it's not licensed by Philip Morris, once it was brought to their attention, it would have have the deco be drastically altered because even though the deco was already changed, it was only changed because it was brought to the intention of their lawyers, and even the current Exhaust deco still resembles the Marlboro logo too much. And it's not really about money for their lawyers, they just don't want to face the severe legal repurcussions from knowingly allowing the sale of a toy that very obviously has Marlboro logos (albeit slightly modified logos, as said) in the USA.
This is what I've heard. There is nothing stopping PM from issuing a C&D. It got okay'd for Japan, not for US and other territories.

Also, Captured Prey most likely still has the preorder up because they either didn't get a C&D and/or their supplier is still honoring the order. Also because they aren't really an easy target since you wouldn't except a site called "Captured Prey" to be a toy store.

My supplier is honoring mine unfortunately its a very tiny order :(

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There was a lot of hysteria around Masterpiece Megatron in the time leading up to his release, and he was pretty scarce early on, but after it became clear that US authorities really didn't give a shit, you could get him anywhere. I suspect Exhaust will follow a pretty similar path. That said, I'm getting mine ASAP just in case fans freak out and hoard him.

As for the legality of selling it as a toy, I don't know specifics, but plenty of things that could be toys but are labeled "adult collectibles" do not conform to toy safety standards. Tons of such items would not pass toy safety drop tests or have sharp points and edges that would never be allowed on a toy sold through normal retail channels. It wouldn't be too tough to make the case that a $100 transforming car model that has to be imported from Japan through specialty shops isn't exactly going to accidentally end up in the hands of little Johnny in the Toys R Us aisles.

Im reading the IDW stuff via the collection omnibuses, so just finished phase 1 and got the first volume of phase 2. Am I missing alot by following just the omnibuses or its good way to read through this series?

Uh guys? The new Transformers cartoon will air on Cartoon Network soon and there's not thread to discuss it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Robots_in_Disguise_(2015_TV_series)

In fact it aired already in Australia, is it good? Is it bad? Someone make a discussion thread for it, use this for the thread title if you want something simple.

Transformers: Robots in Diguise (2015 series) Discussion Thread

I think it's already airing....anyways I dig it! I like it a lot more than I originally expected. The humans aren't annoying and the overall it's pretty fun!

Tizoc

I think it's already airing....anyways I dig it! I like it a lot more than I originally expected. The humans aren't annoying and the overall it's pretty fun!

Could you make a discussion thread for it then please? I doubt anyone knows it exists! I myself learned of it only earlier this year and more people need good TF cartoons in their lives =3

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Could you make a discussion thread for it then please? I doubt anyone knows it exists! I myself learned of it only earlier this year and more people need good TF cartoons in their lives =3

True, but from what I hear, until one of those comes along we'll have to make do with RiD.

I'll give it a shot, but to be honest the toys are so bad that I'm kind of halfway uninterested already.

Combiner Wars wave 1 finally showed up locally. Still can't dig on Optimus, but I picked up one of everyone else.

I liked the photos of Superion before but after fucking around with him a bit, collapsing the elbow joints and using Alpha Bravo as an arm instead of a leg, I can't believe how much I love this. For a Hasbro mass market offering, this is fantastic.

I wasn't going to bother with Menasor because I have the FP Stunticons but now I'm not sure. I might just try to get the whole line.

Uh guys? The new Transformers cartoon will air on Cartoon Network soon and there's not thread to discuss it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_Robots_in_Disguise_(2015_TV_series)

In fact it aired already in Australia, is it good? Is it bad? Someone make a discussion thread for it, use this for the thread title if you want something simple.

Transformers: Robots in Diguise (2015 series) Discussion Thread

Strangely enough, they aired the first episode in Spain this Monday. I quite enjoyed it: it's pretty much in the same vein as TF Prime (fittingly, being a direct sequel) but so far the amount of underage characters is one and he doesn't seem too annoying. I also like Strongarm, they seem to make more interesting fembots lately (i.e. characters not entirely defined by being (the one) female). But obviously a single episode (not even the two parter that Australia got) is a bit too little to judge yet.

Tizoc

wOW THE animation in RiD is really good, and I like Sidewipe's hair haha
Travis Touchdown is now a Transformer
I was wierded out by
Green Grimlock though @_@ but damn I like how they gave his dinosaur form good arms, and overall I liked how they're handling him in this show.
What does Fixit transform into?

Overall I liked the premier,
but where'd Prime come from o_O His appearance is the only thing I disliked

Yeah I'll work on something and get it up some time this week.

Unless you have an OP you'd like me to use :)

aparisi2274

Got my Playstation Optimus today. Such an amazing figure! Once I get my display case setup, I'll take him out of the box and pose him properly...

1655735_10153135361284378_1532667159329086661_o.jpg

11062001_10153135361349378_8439285209408462416_o.jpg

10550054_10153135361439378_3194992881149935003_o.jpg

11075013_10153135361504378_6388085315012309486_o.jpg

Tizoc

So apparently the next ep. of RiD releases on April 4th in the US. What is up with this messed up scheduling?

yami4ct

So apparently the next ep. of RiD releases on April 4th in the US. What is up with this messed up scheduling?

It was a last minute pick-up/rescue by Cartoon Network from when The Hub collapsed. CN has really bad scheduling anyway,, but I can imagine it being difficult to squeeze in a new show into a lineup with just a couple months notice.

aparisi2274

Has this RID show aired in the U.S. yet? I mean I've watched the first 3 episodes via the net. Just curious if those have even aired here.

Has this RID show aired in the U.S. yet? I mean I've watched the first 3 episodes via the net. Just curious if those have even aired here.
Yeah the two part-pilot aired this past Saturday at 6pm.

Of course the normal timeslot for the show will be 6:30 am on Saturday mornings.

Show will be cancelled after two seasons

Top Bottom